• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

Would be an awesome day on the lake. I thought about heading up there later to eat at Giuseppe's. It's still only 74F here with NW winds gusting to a peak of 27mph so far.

It appears MOS is going to blow another one. I think last night's MAV had 86F for CON and their 12/1/2pm obs have been 78/78/77 respectively. I'm enjoying this stretch of temps verifying cooler than guidance. Hopefully that holds into fall/winter. :snowman:

Ha. Had their pizza last year. Pretty good. I'll be indulging there again by the end of the month.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally after 3 weeks or so got some good rain last night. A quick heavy shower around dark that gave .20" and then another .37" in the early morning hours. Just a perfect this AM, cool with a nice breeze. Property in true mid summer mode. Pond a little low but couldn't ask for much better. Enjoy everyone!

Gene

Wait, where's all the snow?

Absolutely beautiful day and evening here in Stowe... high of 73F with a nice NW breeze. Those NW winds gave us some upslope sprinkles and low(ish) ceilings this morning though noon, but then after 12pm its been sun mixed with occasional fair weather clouds.

I was very worried that the NW winds would keep us socked in all day today especially seeing some very light rain getting squeezed out from upslope, but it did end up clearing and becoming quite the nice afternoon. Hot Air Balloon Festival in progress this evening.... there must be about 25 hot air balloons in the sky over my place as the sky and mountains turn orange from the setting sun. This resort town is absolutely packed... going to be a fun night out on the town.

I'm guessing all my fellow NNEers were enjoying the awesome weather over the weekend. Spent a nice day at the park with my kids yesterday ... couldn't have been nicer, I don't think. Looks like a couple of hot ones in the offing today and tomorrow, though. I'll hold off on putting in the A/C units since they're happening during the work week. Fans at night should suffice.

Seemed to rain off and on all night long... around 0.4" overnight. BTV picked up over a half inch, too. We are very socked in here with fog, low clouds, and generally dreary conditions. BTV is calling for partly sunny skies by this afternoon though with humid highs in the lower 80s again across the mountain valleys. This is some thick cloud cover right now though with very low ceilings.

No thunder last night but about a half inch of rain fell around 2 or 3am. Yeah I don't need to water today! It was sticky enough that I ran the fan all night last night but NEK enough that it only had to be on low.

Seemed to rain off and on all night long... around 0.4" overnight. BTV picked up over a half inch, too. We are very socked in here with fog, low clouds, and generally dreary conditions. BTV is calling for partly sunny skies by this afternoon though with humid highs in the lower 80s again across the mountain valleys. This is some thick cloud cover right now though with very low ceilings.

poured here in south BTV. No rain gauge but I'd say .5 + easy based on the intensity of the rain between 10 and 12 pm.

Sun kinda peaking out now. Maybe....of course that will prob just destab. the atm and result in showers with the low level moisture.

AUG was 85/70 at 2 PM and I doubt it's changed much since. Muggiest of the year so far, and unless we get some TS action this aft/evening (low prob, apparently) it's going to be a mega-sticky night. The breathable air doesn't roll in until after tomorrow's trough.

Had 0.51" come down 1-7 AM, perhaps another 0.05" or so after I emptied the gauge, bringing July up to about 2.1", just perfect for the garden but a bit soggy for our summer logging operations. Low this AM was barely under 70, mildest this season by quite a bit.

AUG was 85/70 at 2 PM and I doubt it's changed much since. Muggiest of the year so far, and unless we get some TS action this aft/evening (low prob, apparently) it's going to be a mega-sticky night. The breathable air doesn't roll in until after tomorrow's trough.

Had 0.51" come down 1-7 AM, perhaps another 0.05" or so after I emptied the gauge, bringing July up to about 2.1", just perfect for the garden but a bit soggy for our summer logging operations. Low this AM was barely under 70, mildest this season by quite a bit.

Very warm air in the mid levels is leading to some pretty poor lapse rates. I suspect the morning shortwave also led to subsidence behind it that really is just starting to dissipate.

poured here in south BTV. No rain gauge but I'd say .5 + easy based on the intensity of the rain between 10 and 12 pm.

Sun kinda peaking out now. Maybe....of course that will prob just destab. the atm and result in showers with the low level moisture.

Spent all day in the cloud on Mansfield at 3,700ft... kind of a weird feeling to drive the ATV into the fog at 8am and not leave the cloud until 4pm. Visibility all day long was anywhere from 25-100 feet. We were bored and measured it out, put some stakes in the ground at 25 foot intervals, and monitored the visibility. This was pure pea soup where you could actually see the individual water molecules floating in the air; occasionally they would grow large enough to overcome gravity and fall to the ground as light rain or drizzle... only in a humid 60F/60F airmass can fog get that thick, haha.

It was interesting to have people show up and say that the sun was out in the base area and over at Spruce Peak, yet we couldn't see the 2nd lift tower out of the top terminal. Listening to the radio chatter from the Green Mountain Club (who patrol the ridgeline) they were finding people disoriented and some folks were just sitting in one place, afraid to move because you couldn't even see the next trail marker or cairn.

At 4pm the ceiling finally lifted enough for us to get a brief glimpse of the base area (enough to see the golf course awash in sunlight) but it wasn't until riding the ATV down that I finally saw the outside world again... apparently the cloud level was around 3,500ft and only around 200 feet below our location visibility was 10 miles or more. Now as I look out my apartment window at the mountain, I can see the whole ridgeline... go figure the cloud lifts as soon as we go home for the day. Life is always interesting on the mountain.

I haven't posted any pictures in a little while, so here are two from a hike in the Worcester Range along the eastern town boundary of Stowe. I always forget these mountains are also in town because Mansfield dominates the view, but with various summits between 3,000 and 3,600, the Worcester Range still offers some nice views.

Here's a shot from 3,000 feet along the eastern side of Stowe looking across town to the western boundary which is located on Mansfield's ridgeline. Little known fact is that Stowe is the 2nd largest town in Vermont (in terms of square miles) so everything you see in this picture is in Stowe; the largest town is Chittenden, VT down in the Killington region.

And here's a shot looking south towards Camels Hump (just over 4,000ft high) and Waterbury Reservoir... this is also looking towards J.Spin's who is over the ridge behind the Reservoir in the snow belt.

I haven't posted any pictures in a little while, so here are two from a hike in the Worcester Range along the eastern town boundary of Stowe.

Great scenics PF! It's really nice to see our location from the back side like that because we haven't been up in the Worcester Range since we moved into our house.

Looks like some fun wants to roll in through upstate NY and on into VT.

Little extra upper leve divergence right now as well with the left exit region of a jet streak overhead.

Barely got in a short little hike up to 3,000ft before the storms rolled through... nothing like racing back down through the forest as it turns pitch black, the wind gusting, and deep BaBooooms going off overhead.

Here's a shot of a shower out ahead of the main area of thunderstorms... behind this little thing was the more ominous storms. It got cold up there quickly, dropping into the 50s in the blink of an eye. Currently 61F here in the village with -RN.

Great scenics PF! It's really nice to see our location from the back side like that because we haven't been up in the Worcester Range since we moved into our house.

I'd really recommend doing a hike in the Worcesters for a different view on the area. Plus, they see about 1/10th of the people that Mansfield and other peaks along the Spine see. Mount Hunger is a pretty solid hike and the views looking east into the significantly less populated area of NE Vermont are worth the hike. They really are the red-headed step child mountain range when compared with the 4,000+ foot peaks of the Spine. But with elevations between 3,000 and 3,600ft, they are nothing to scoff at.

Looks like around an inch of liquid for my back forty as well. Interesting commute with the storms last night ... didn't see any hail but the drops were the size of seedless watermelons. Quite a bit of wind with them, too, as there were plenty of branches littering the road. Glad the rains came, it was getting pretty dusty in these parts. Loving the current mid-50s dews.

Had 0.44" of much needed rain yesterday evening with that line that rolled through. Haven't had much rain lately and had the mother-in-law here last weekend. Between her and my wife, lots of showers and toilets flushed leaving me to bathe in the brook for fear of the well. :whistle:

I'll feel better about a nice shower this morning.

Crisp & cool (52F) this morn with scraps of fog.

Storms popped all around MBY yesterday aft, and nearly all missed. The one that grazed dropped only 0.03" but it was strategically timed for the only 10-15 mins available for a barbecue, before we had to leave for a special meeting at church. (Neither of us are likely to starve to death, however.) Quite glad we got our share during the past week; we're about 2.2" for the month, just about right.

Archived