• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

Dropping quickly from the low 90s down into the mid 70s now across central/northern VT, especially in the elevated valleys in the vicinity of the Spine around these parts. I'm down to 76F which feels great; even a few 70F readings popping up already. Huntington, VT is down to 68F. Given afternoon dewpoints, I'd assume we can hit the 50s tonight if we stay clear.

Quite the contrast to places further south and east where there are a lot of 90s still on that map.

Here's Huntington's observation as of 8:15pm... they are on pace to drop 30F in 4-5 hours from the high of 91F, lol. Radiational cooling for the win?

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really interesting weather day for me. Hottest day of my 54 years. I am in Baltimore this evening.

My Dad turns 80 this weekend and lives in Baltimore where I was born and lived as a kid. I had planned to fly down for this weekend months ago. Left NH at 8am after a low of 75.3F. Got to MHT for my 11am flight to BWI.

Interestingly the flight took us WSW over extreme northern Conn. and because I was sitting on the right side I got a fantastic view of the 40 mile tornado track from Springfiled east. Very clearly visabile from 37,000. Snapped some cellphone pictures which I will post sometime. First time I have ever seen a tornado track. Anyhow landed at BWI. Soon as I walked out to the terminal the blast of hot air just hit me like a brick. Just so intense and severe it is hard to convey. Got into the rental car which was like 140F. I had to stand outside for 5 minutes just to get the AC to cool it down. My Droid X went on high temp alert and shut down. Anyhow before I left to go to the folks house I stopped by briefly at the conference and said hi. l. Driving the 20 miles around the Baltimore beltway the car thermometer was pretty steady at 106F. By the way the official high at BWI was 106F and 108F in downtown Baltimore. That temperature with a 75F dew and a higher sun angle than up north just made it feel unbearably hot. Something I have never felt before. Big Cu towers were everywhere, narrow and straight up. Don't see those in NH too much. Got to the folks house and it is 80F inside with the central air going. Baltimore Gas and Electric has some type of program where is you sign up you get a $50 annual credit on your electric bill if you let them put a "smart" meter on your outside AC. The theory is that if there was ever peak demand that could not be met they could remotely turn off compressors in a way to reduce load. 450,000 people have signed up and until today the BG and E never actually used the program. Well they did for the first time this PM. My parents house got hotter as the compressor was remotely turned off and on by the power company. This was happening everywhere. So we went out to dinner to get into AC.. Everyone at the restaurant was complaing that their home compressors were being reduced. The restaurant was very hot and they apologized because they too were getting reduced AC power. Anyhow now that it is 8am the rolling reductions have ended and everyone's AC is working okay.

Have 3 more days down here then back to Central NH. Today is a day where I remind myself why I moved from Baltimore up to God's Country. I will take cold over heat and humidity anytime.

Chow, Gene

Got to 94.6 here in south BTV yesterday. Cooled to 75.3 around 9:00pm which felt very nice. Strong shower came through about 1.5 hours ago. Still and very damp right now. Bug heaven.

Newark, NJ hit 108. Having gone to law school there I can tell you Newark is the hottest place I've ever been. It's an urban concrete microwave. If the reading was 108 I'd bet a few corners downtown could have read 110 easy.

Ok there are sparkling clear skies to my north but this rotten narrow string of permaclouds is insisting on ruining any chances of setting a new record high water temp in the pool today.

No trouble here have a few clouds every now and then but mine has got past 90 for two days now. Really impressive considering its 16,300 gallons lot of energy needed to heat that much water up from 52 degrees to 90 degrees in just a little over a month. Just put the pool in so it "opened" on June 17

No trouble here have a few clouds every now and then but mine has got past 90 for two days now. Really impressive considering its 16,300 gallons lot of energy needed to heat that much water up from 52 degrees to 90 degrees in just a little over a month. Just put the pool in so it "opened" on June 17

Nice... I'm jealous. If my math is correct, to raise my pool from its current temp to what you have now would take about $42 dollars worth of propane.

(We don't actually have a heater though.)

Official heat wave at the ASOS stations in BTV and Morrisville-Stowe Airport....with Montpelier falling short today.

Last 3 days are below. Interesting that the three sites differ by almost exactly 400ft in elevation with BTV the lowest and MPV the highest. With that almost equal difference in elevation, you can see how the high temperatures vary by 2-3F with each 400ft elevation gain.

BTV (330ft)... 97F, 95F, 93F

MVL (730ft)... 94F, 93F, 90F

MPV (1,165ft)... 92F, 91F, 87F

What heat wave?

Stellar morning out there right now. Would have loved to go for a long run to celebrate but a few tendons in my ankle called my brain and told me to find a pool instead.

Temps in the upper 60s to low 70s right now and the air is VERY clear. Giant's slides are visible from overlook park so I'd say we've dropped at least 50% of the water vapor in the air overnight.

Looks we warm up again later in the week with maybe some convection midweek.

What heat wave?

Stellar morning out there right now. Would have loved to go for a long run to celebrate but a few tendons in my ankle called my brain and told me to find a pool instead.

Temps in the upper 60s to low 70s right now and the air is VERY clear. Giant's slides are visible from overlook park so I'd say we've dropped at least 50% of the water vapor in the air overnight.

Looks we warm up again later in the week with maybe some convection midweek.

Haha I was just going to post this... It is crystal clear out there this morning! I can just about make out the Gondola cabins heading up the mountain (the Cliff House is in crystal clear view right now) from my living room. Beautiful Sunday morning out there... and fantastic sleeping weather. I haven't slept to 11am in a very, very long time; you know that means last night was a good night, haha.

Oh and around 1am last night it absolutely poured with some pretty good wind gusts. And this was no light rain, this was like BTV's faucet storm of the other night. I think it only rained for about a half hour or so.

The Stowe CoCoRAHS observer in the village is showing 0.44" this morning which fits with what I saw. MVL had 0.39" from the shower. Big difference between here and J.Spin's 0.03" report just to our south. I was out at the bar so didn't see a radar image, but it must've been a pretty sharp cut-off. No thunder with it though, which was interesting.

The Stowe CoCoRAHS observer in the village is showing 0.44" this morning which fits with what I saw. MVL had 0.39" from the shower. Big difference between here and J.Spin's 0.03" report just to our south. I was out at the bar so didn't see a radar image, but it must've been a pretty sharp cut-off. No thunder with it though, which was interesting.

We had gone to the Ben & Jerry’s free movie night at the factory, and it was crystal clear when we got back to the house around 11:00 P.M., so we were really surprised when we heard rain overnight. It actually seemed to rain for a while, but we must have been right on the edge of it based on what the gauge caught. July has definitely been more “average” in terms of precipitation relative to the previous months though, we’re at 2.44” of liquid for the month here at Waterbury 3.0 NW. This has been great for the mountain biking trails and they are riding well; the slowdown in precipitation has also provided some more convenient windows for mowing the lawn. Our point forecast does have us down for 0.85” to 1.60” of liquid over the next couple of days, so we’ll have to see how that plays out.

Looks like a batch of rain will move in today -esp through central VT- BTV south. (is that central? I have no idea).

SVR parameters this afternoon are favorable. Strong 0-6km bulk shear, upper level divergence, placement of left exit region of jet streak all favor svr t-storms. Only limiting factor will be low level instability. if the clouds stay all day I doubt we'll charge the lower levels enough for big storms.

Looks like a batch of rain will move in today -esp through central VT- BTV south. (is that central? I have no idea).

SVR parameters this afternoon are favorable. Strong 0-6km bulk shear, upper level divergence, placement of left exit region of jet streak all favor svr t-storms. Only limiting factor will be low level instability. if the clouds stay all day I doubt we'll charge the lower levels enough for big storms.

I have always tought of BTV as Northwest VT, Washington County (Barre - Montpelier area) as Central VT and South of a line from rougly White River Jct. to Middlebury as Massachusetts! :lol: I think that the area from Rutland to Montpelier is considered Central VT by many. I remember reading some time ago, that the gegraphic center of the state is in Roxbury, about 20 miles south of Montpelier.

North of I-89 BTV to MPV to Rte 302 to Wells River is Northern Vt

South of Rte 4 is Southern Vt.

In between is Central VT

Weather-wise, the “Eye on the Sky” guys and other forecasters will often make break points at Route 2 and Route 4, and I find those work well as “quick and dirty” latitude lines to define northern, central, and southern Vermont. I was initially curious why klw mentioned Route 302 east of MPV instead of Route 2, but I can see that if one uses Route 2 out there, it splits Caledonia County in half. Since Caledonia, Orleans, and Essex Counties make up the NEK, I can see why one might keep all of Caledonia County together in the northern section.

Weather-wise, the “Eye on the Sky” guys and other forecasters will often make break points at Route 2 and Route 4, and I find those work well as “quick and dirty” latitude lines to define northern, central, and southern Vermont. I was initially curious why klw mentioned Route 302 east of MPV instead of Route 2, but I can see that if one uses Route 2 out there, it splits Caledonia County in half. Since Caledonia, Orleans, and Essex Counties make up the NEK, I can see why one might keep all of Caledonia County together in the northern section.

I think 302 works well climate wise. Rt. 2 west of MPV works in terms of climate as well. There seems to be a more "northern" feel north of this line.

post-363-0-95993600-1311617755.gif

I think you can go with either route 2 or 302. I went with 302 for two reasons. First is with the general trend of RTE 2 up to the Northeast, if it were used it would put Waterford and Concord in C VT which would be a stretch. It seems the NE part is cooler than the NW part so having the dip in the east is fine. Second I live about 7 miles south and 10 miles north of 302 and wanted to consider myself in northern VT so I went with 302. whistle.gif I think you could argue the southern Vt is the Windham andBennington Counties, Central VT is Windsor, Rutland, Addison and Northern Vt is the rest.

Probably ducked under 50 this morning at my place, and I'm loving it. I've had 2.3" rain this month, only about 1" below the avg thru 2/24, but only 0.11" over the past 12 days of much above normal temps. Water table still okay but the surface layers of soil are pretty dry. Hope we get 1/2" or more thru tomorrow, but that will probably only happen if we catch a TS tomorrow aft.

I've seen two versions of PWM's 7/22 low temp, 76 and 77. The lower number ties their record high minimum and with the max of 100 ties 8/2/75 for record high mean. If 77 were the real number, both records fell.

Well, missed again for the most part. The heavy batch looked to be headed this way for most of the morning and then presto, the wall appeared and southward she sunk. I'm getting very sick of this. Dry begets dry.

Maybe we'll get some of that action coming across northern NY later tonight. Maybe.

Central VT is Windsor, Rutland, Addison and Northern Vt is the rest.

Poor Orange County, always the forgotten red-headed step-child. ;)

I jest but I swear, thumb through any guide book of VT with a map in the front and there will always be this blank area over OC. It's almost like there's nothing here. Maybe there isn't. :unsure:

We do have the Tunbridge Fair though!

Rt. 2 west of MPV works in terms of climate as well.

Nice VT map mr, it provides an excellent level of detail for the discussion. I agree that Route 2 works very well west of and along the spine of the Greens, especially for snowfall climatology. That Winooski/I-89/Route 2 corridor is a well known break point for the most upslope snowfall and the mountains that get 300+ inches/season.

I think you could argue the southern Vt is the Windham and Bennington Counties...

Indeed, another common way I’ve seen to denote Southern Vermont is to use the northern borders of Bennington and Windham Counties. Unfortunately there’s not a notable east-west road right there to also use, since Route 9 is too far south, but those county lines can be good. I believe that is where the break is for the southern extent of the BTV NWS forecast area. Hopefully this discussion has been good for adk – there’s no perfect line, but we’ve mentioned some good break points.

Poor Orange County, always the forgotten red-headed step-child. ;)

We do have the Tunbridge Fair though!

In that example I was thinking of Orange County as part of Northern Vt because it seems like the Chelsea/ Vershire/ Corinth area runs cold and snowy while the Champlain Valley runs warmer for Addison County. Only about 7 weeks until the Tunbridge Fair!!!

In that example I was thinking of Orange County as part of Northern Vt because it seems like the Chelsea/ Vershire/ Corinth area runs cold and snowy while the Champlain Valley runs warmer for Addison County. Only about 7 weeks until the Tunbridge Fair!!!

Oh ok, I gotcha. Throw Washington, VT (in Orange Co.) in that mix too. That's actually the real snowbelt around here. We get a fair bit here in Corinth but they get even more just to our west in Washington. It's higher up...

I use the spruce/fir line as my delineator. Once inside the spruce/fir zone but still below 1500', one is in the north.

Well, missed again for the most part. The heavy batch looked to be headed this way for most of the morning and then presto, the wall appeared and southward she sunk. I'm getting very sick of this. Dry begets dry.

Certainly seems to be our theme this a summer, just some sprinkles here as well this afternoon. I am hoping this next slug holds together, but I have to be honest, the way things have gone, I don't have much confidence. Let's hope Mother Nature proves me wrong :).

Archived