joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got slammed here, one of the best storms I have seen in years. We had over an inch of rain in 25 minutes, winds over 50 mph, and lightning so close, the thunder shook everything. One strike was only 100 feet away. We had a 25-30 foot poplar come down at the end of the driveway.

Really? My gauge only recorded 0.27" and top gust of 27mph. I forgot where you live in standish, but I'm over on the west side of the lake 2 miles up 114 from 35/114. Looking at the radar it looked like the cell passed right over our house. Max rainfall rate was just over 1"hr. You'd of had to have had >2"/hr. Must have been coming down like a SOB at your house. Weird. either way, glad we got some much needed precip.

Really? My gauge only recorded 0.27" and top gust of 27mph. I forgot where you live in standish, but I'm over on the west side of the lake 2 miles up 114 from 35/114. Looking at the radar it looked like the cell passed right over our house. Max rainfall rate was just over 1"hr. You'd of had to have had >2"/hr. Must have been coming down like a SOB at your house. Weird. either way, glad we got some much needed precip.

It was weird, the storm died quite a bit where you are, and exploaded right over me. I went from sad looking at the radar to amazed. The weather station just to my SE got .90 inches, and I was in an even heavier cell. It was a very localized event. I live on South Ridge Dr, off 35, a good 3+ miles from you. Strange how much of a difference you and I can have. I think I was in the worst spot, where it was a localized wind spot because of the storm strengthening. Radar estimates where way off in this, my little pool in the back was full of water.

It was weird, the storm died quite a bit where you are, and exploaded right over me. I went from sad looking at the radar to amazed. The weather station just to my SE got .90 inches, and I was in an even heavier cell. It was a very localized event. I live on South Ridge Dr, off 35, a good 3+ miles from you. Strange how much of a difference you and I can have. I think I was in the worst spot, where it was a localized wind spot because of the storm strengthening.

Any pics of the damage?

1st round yesterday dropped about 1/10" in AUG about noon, better at my place where 1/4" fell (all liquid) and my wife said the thunder was frequent and loud, and even better in Farmington where enough 3/4" hail fell to fully cover the ground in places. As I headed from AUG to my 4 PM dentist appt in Farmington, I could see storms ahead to left and right. The one to the right caught S. Somerset Cty, the one to the left brought +RA and frequent/close lightning outside the dentist's office starting about 4:45, and had dumped at least 1/2" (estimated by the pond in my truck liner) when I headed home at 5:10. Three miles south of town I drove out of the +RA and hit dry road at the Farmington-New Sharon line. Clean whiff at my place for #2. The 0.25" from #1 was appreciated, but it was storm #6 (at least) this year with hail less than 10 miles away (usually at multiple locations) with all the SVR stuff avoiding MBY. Must be something in the geography.

Having pretty good weather for vacation week so far ... temps are comfy and humidity is being kept in check. Folks from Kansas enjoyed the respite from the blistering heat back home, stepdad even wore a jacket yesterday morning. lol! Anyway, had a nice two day visit with them.

Doing better than Vacation Bible School at our church. Kids were outside for game time in late morn Tuesday when the leaders noted the inky clouds to westward and herded everyone inside. Then came the quarter-size hail, enough to nearly cover the ground and litter the driveway with leaf salad. It's been better the other days, though I don't know if any of today's little popcorn showers hit there.

OTOH, temps/dews are quite nice, a major improvement over last month's triple-H.

Edit: One of those popcorns is overhead right now (12:50 PM) in AUG.

Ahhh good to be back up in northern VT... SNE is cool to visit but I was starting to miss the mountains. Amazing how different the landscape can change over just a few hours drive... from coastal plain and low rolling hills to big terrain changes and much heartier vegetation (spruce/fir/beech). New England has it all.

Beautiful day up here in Stowe... occasional sprinkles whenever the thicker clouds roll off the mountain, but for the most part just fair weather clouds mixed with sunshine. Temps in the upper 70s and a nice NNW breeze at 10mph to keep ya cool. Lows progged for lower 50s tonight, so good sleeping weather continues.

PF- your post got me thinking about the unique world of Maine. just got back from our annual pilgrimage to my homeland so my daughter can grow up accustomed to 55 degree water and proper lobster prep and devouring

deep woods right on the ocean, you could be 10' from the water and have no idea except for the salt in the air

IMG_2520.jpg

the typical view for the morning paddle up the narrows. a shipbuilders mecca, easy access to wood.

IMG_2533.jpg

the turn around spot out there in the distance, thousand of miles of coves. a bird watchers dream. enough variation that even I was curious. marsh, pines deciduous woods

IMG_2498.jpg

lets not forget the course sand and the thousands of protective islands, heres a few

IMG_2505.jpg

pretty lucky I think here in NNE. we got it all. except rain it appears, returned home to a measly .25 of an inch of the past week. good to be back in farm country.

Less than a tenth of an inch last night... now its just incredibly muggy/tropical with very low ceilings and fog.

We picked up 0.18” of liquid here between a quick downpour from yesterday and this morning’s light rain and upslope-style mist. That was actually the first liquid in the gauge here for the month of August, and the first in 8 days; the longest precipitation-free stretch in a while as far as I can remember. It had definitely been a good long window to enable the lawn to dry for easier cutting. These past couple of days have indeed seemed rather humid, so it’s certainly one of those seasons where some summery humidity is still making its presence known for the first part of August. Our point forecast suggests we’ll be back to 70s F highs and 50s F lows as we move through the week though.

Nice pics, borderwx. Where is that?

We've been pretty lucky with the rains in SW Maine. Picked up .35" overnight, bringing the take over the past week to over an inch. A balmy 70/68 currently.

Georgetown.

the morning coffee view. Unfinished construction project from 1861 with Atkins Bay and Phippsburg in the background and the Kennebec in front. interesting fact, the open point of land behind the fort is the original site of the first colonists attempt to settle 'North Virginia' in 1606, they left after the first winter

IMG_2502-1.jpg

View SW from Five Islands. follow 127 to the end to get your overpriced lobster, great ice cream stand though. tons of kayak/paddle options

IMG_2528-1.jpg

Archived