Newest Member
    joxey
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chilly-willy this morning.

Down to 50F for a low. Couldn't squeak out an upper 40s bure purty darn close.

We never cleared out over here... thick clouds over the spine both at sun-down yesterday and sunrise this morning. The result is I only got down to 57F... but man was yesterday nice! High of 69.7F (70F) so although it goes in the books as 70F, its the first time in a LONG time that my thermometer gave a number starting with a "6" as the high, lol. Even MVL which tends to be a bit warmer out in the middle of the Lamoille Valley and at a shade lower elevation showed a high of 71F and the hourly obs only had one reading of 70F... the rest were 65-69F. I was diggin' the fact that at 3pm yesterday afternoon it was only 68 degrees... felt like fall.

Now today was supposed to be "mostly sunny" as of yesterday's 4pm forecast... but NW flow isn't allowing for it yet. Thick clouds remain in the general upslope areas... hopefully we can clear out or at least become partly sunny (MVL still reporting OVC) because it looks like its a beautiful day across CNE/SNE/NY State.

Pfft.

I don't wear long sleeves, ever. I own two shirts with long sleeves and I think they still have the tags on them.

:P

Pretty much agree, and folks think I'm a bit nutty when I wear short sleeves for an office day no matter what the wx outside - rather be a dite chilly for the 2-minute walk from the p.lot than overly warm for the next 8 hr. I do put on the flannel for icefishing, most snow clearing, and I wear the state-supplied chamois shirts for winter field trips - nice when one is in the woods all day during a N.Maine winter.

Might've dipped under 50 this morning at my place, but that's nothing special. By late this month my average minimum will be upper 40s.

We never cleared out over here... thick clouds over the spine both at sun-down yesterday and sunrise this morning. The result is I only got down to 57F... but man was yesterday nice! High of 69.7F (70F) so although it goes in the books as 70F, its the first time in a LONG time that my thermometer gave a number starting with a "6" as the high, lol. Even MVL which tends to be a bit warmer out in the middle of the Lamoille Valley and at a shade lower elevation showed a high of 71F and the hourly obs only had one reading of 70F... the rest were 65-69F. I was diggin' the fact that at 3pm yesterday afternoon it was only 68 degrees... felt like fall.

Now today was supposed to be "mostly sunny" as of yesterday's 4pm forecast... but NW flow isn't allowing for it yet. Thick clouds remain in the general upslope areas... hopefully we can clear out or at least become partly sunny (MVL still reporting OVC) because it looks like its a beautiful day across CNE/SNE/NY State.

Don't think that clearing ins gonna happen. Lots of clouds still building still over the ADK on a W/NW winds. Classic look right now. Really nice in BTV- sun/clouds with temps in low 70s.

I should have stayed out at lunch and had a beer. YOu know the ability to have a drink is the only thing that seperates us from chimps.

I had a dream last night and it looked like this...

August is a brutal month because you can feel the hints of fall slowly starting to come on, but you know its not here yet. At least by the end of September we are usually seeing some shots of 0C H85 air move across the north country... August is just another month of wait.

51F low last night felt nice.

Models coming into agreement over heavy rainfall for the next two days... except in Maine where the NAM takes the surface low much further north. Looks like the heaviest should fall in western New England and eastern New York state. How far north that plume of moisture rich air gets will determine how much rainfall we see over BTV's CWA. At least the southern half of the warning area should get soaked pretty good and now its looking more and more likely that we get some significant rainfall in the northern portions. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to riding up and down the mountain tomorrow on the 4-wheeler in the pouring rain. Thank god Carhartt makes some bombproof rain gear that we use at the mountain... full body rubber suit for those nice rainy days.

Does anyone in NNE know anything about Grantham, NH? It's about 10 miles SE of Lebanon. Is it a bad snow spot/downsloping? What is the terrain like? My dad is building a house up there.

I posted in the SNE thread and noone replied

I am actually sitting in KLEB right now. I don't know much about the specifics but you gain quite a bit of elevation rather quickly on I89 heading south. My impression from driving through the area is that snowfall is decent.

18Z NAM gives NNE lots of rain and the 18Z gives us around .25" or so for the next 60 hours. Big differences. I'm inclined to go more towards the GFS

I bet there are some really wide precipitation ranges with this even between neighboring towns... given what has transpired over northern NY today, with one town getting 2-3" and the next town over only .25", there will probably be quite a bit of variability as this translates eastward. There are very small, slow moving, embedded cells that are dropping incredible rainfall rates in one spot, while 2 miles away is only seeing a nuisance light rain.

The SLK ASOS picked up 1.33" in 30 minutes today with one of those cells... so I think it'll just depend on who gets under one of the heavier thunder cells or if its just light rain.

* AT 814 PM EDT...SLOW MOVING SHOWERS AND EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS

CONTINUE ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK...INCLUDING FAR NORTHWESTERN

CLINTON COUNTRY...FRANKLIN COUNTY...AND ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY. THESE

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE UNTIL AROUND

MIDNIGHT BEFORE SLOWLY DISSIPATING.

* NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR ESTIMATES LOCALIZED

RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF AROUND 3 INCHES WEST OF STAR LAKE...NORTH OF

EDWARDS...AND NEAR ONCHIOTA SINCE MID-AFTERNOON.

ADDITIONALLY...THE LAKE CLEAR AIRPORT IN SARANAC LAKE REPORTED

1.33" OF RAIN IN JUST 30 MINUTES LATE THIS AFTERNOON. CONTINUED

LOCALIZED DOWNPOURS ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK WILL CONTRIBUTE TO

LOW-LYING FLOOD PROBLEMS INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.

Just look at how localized the storm total radar image is over N.NY... you have areas of 2-3" right next to areas of .1-.3" of pcpn. It looks like luck of the draw.

Does anyone in NNE know anything about Grantham, NH? It's about 10 miles SE of Lebanon. Is it a bad snow spot/downsloping? What is the terrain like? My dad is building a house up there. I posted in the SNE thread and noone replied
I am actually sitting in KLEB right now. I don't know much about the specifics but you gain quite a bit of elevation rather quickly on I89 heading south. My impression from driving through the area is that snowfall is decent.

I agree, that area really seems to have a bunch of snow, especially relative to Lebanon as you come up out of the CT River Valley. The thing that comes to mind for me in that area is that Whaleback Ski Area is near there, and their stats say 110" of snow/season (lift-served elevation range is 1,100' - 1,800'). The town of Grantham is a bit south of there and comes up with an elevation of ~950', so presumably somewhere under 110" of snow. For a better number on how much less we might need to bring in the experts.

I agree, that area really seems to have a bunch of snow, especially relative to Lebanon as you come up out of the CT River Valley. The thing that comes to mind for me in that area is that Whaleback Ski Area is near there, and their stats say 110" of snow/season (lift-served elevation range is 1,100' - 1,800'). The town of Grantham is a bit south of there and comes up with an elevation of ~950', so presumably somewhere under 110" of snow. For a better number on how much less we might need to bring in the experts.

Thanks for te help fellas..i appreciate it

I was looking through the BTV forecast discussion and saw the text below, which looks very much like something Powderfreak would comment on. Indeed as a skier/winter weather enthusiast one can't help but love some of the comments from our BTV mets. :)

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...

AS OF 415 PM EDT MONDAY...RADAR CONTS TO SHOW DEEP INFLUX OF MOISTURE

ACRS MOST OF CENTRAL NEW ENGLAND THIS AFTN...WITH STRONGER

REFLECTIVITY RETURNS BEING PULLED ALL THE WAY BACK INTO THE DACKS.

EXPECT THIS TO CONT PER DEEP CYCLONIC CIRCULATION AND PROGGED

TRACK OF SFC LOW PRES. THIS WOULD BE A CLASSIC NOR EASTER TRACK

FOR US IN THE WINTER TIME...RESULTING IN A MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW

EVENT...BUT ITS AUGUST INSTEAD WITH WARM TEMPS AND RAIN.

NEAR TERM...TABER

I was looking through the BTV forecast discussion and saw the text below, which looks very much like something Powderfreak would comment on. Indeed as a skier/winter weather enthusiast one can't help but love some of the comments from our BTV mets. :)

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...

AS OF 415 PM EDT MONDAY...RADAR CONTS TO SHOW DEEP INFLUX OF MOISTURE

ACRS MOST OF CENTRAL NEW ENGLAND THIS AFTN...WITH STRONGER

REFLECTIVITY RETURNS BEING PULLED ALL THE WAY BACK INTO THE DACKS.

EXPECT THIS TO CONT PER DEEP CYCLONIC CIRCULATION AND PROGGED

TRACK OF SFC LOW PRES. THIS WOULD BE A CLASSIC NOR EASTER TRACK

FOR US IN THE WINTER TIME...RESULTING IN A MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW

EVENT...BUT ITS AUGUST INSTEAD WITH WARM TEMPS AND RAIN.

NEAR TERM...TABER

Man this would be a beauty of a winter storm... we are right in the pivot point/deformation zone. This has been steady to heavy rain all afternoon and evening.

wxeye and dendrite must be getting pounded under that heavy precip that seems content to remain stationary over there and taunt me. I'm so jelly.

~1.50" in the last 3 hrs now. 3.11" event total so far with 2.90" on the day and still +RA for another 30 mins. My daily record here is 3.17" on 7/22/06 and it may get close.

3.27" yesterday alone sets my new daily record since I moved here. The storm total is 3.68" with still an occasional sprinkle or patchy drizzle.

Damn dude. You're gonna need a bigger boat.

2.14" event total over here (1.93" 24 hour total). Couldn't be happier about it too. :scooter:

Still raining to boot.

This is off topic, but since the Stanley Cup was discussed frequently in the NNE Spring thread I figured I'd mention it. I just heard on WDEV that the cup is coming to Burlington this Saturday - although many websites, including UVM's, have a date of Sep 3 for a visit. Perhaps there is going to be more than one event or there has been a change, but Bruins/Tim Thomas fans in the area might be interested.

Archived