Newest Member
    joxey
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice soaker down south!

looks like were on the low end, sitting a skosh under 1" since yesterday, nice rain though, things are dripping and pretty happy about it. 10 miles on the long trail sunday, as dry as I have seen it in 10 years, all my favorite mud holes were supportive and the trial was dusty. not anymore.

ETA: Barton fair opens tomorrow. summer is over up here.

This is off topic, but since the Stanley Cup was discussed frequently in the NNE Spring thread I figured I'd mention it. I just heard on WDEV that the cup is coming to Burlington this Saturday - although many websites, including UVM's, have a date of Sep 3 for a visit. Perhaps there is going to be more than one event or there has been a change, but Bruins/Tim Thomas fans in the area might be interested.

Nice. I remember hearing back during/after the series that Timmy might bring the the Cup to Burlington. At that time, I thought maybe I'd head up there and take part in the shenanigans. But, the wife and I are flying out that day for a week on San Juan Island, WA. That sounds pretty good too. :whistle:

Hey guys, do you think I can pull my 2 window A/C units out? They make the house look ugly. No hot air on the immediate horizon. Brings us into the last week of August. Losing 4 minutes of daylight a day now so any heat in the last days of August or Sept is short lived and the nights are long enough that they cool off, no 70+ minimums.(Usually) I only hit 90F one time up here at 1100 feet (93.3F) so it is hard to get above 85F at my altitude late in August. Am I being too optimistic? Don't mind the heat during the day but hate the hot nights. What would you do?

Gene

Hey guys, do you think I can pull my 2 window A/C units out? They make the house look ugly. No hot air on the immediate horizon. Brings us into the last week of August. Losing 4 minutes of daylight a day now so any heat in the last days of August or Sept is short lived and the nights are long enough that they cool off, no 70+ minimums.(Usually) I only hit 90F one time up here at 1100 feet (93.3F) so it is hard to get above 85F at my altitude late in August. Am I being too optimistic? Don't mind the heat during the day but hate the hot nights. What would you do?

Gene

I didn't even install A/C this year. In prior years I left them in until October out of sheer laziness but always found for my location that the beginning of September would've been a fine time to remove them. My vote? Take 'em out.

Well, tack on another 0.26" for yesterday bringing the event total to an even 2.40" Not bad at all. I'll be indulging in a needed long shower this morning, lol.

I'll second the 'take 'em out' nod. Of course we don't even have window units here let alone central AC. :whistle:

Summer's peaked, I would say. Sure, we'll have some more warm/hot days but with cool, lengthening nights and September around the corner, I'd reckon you'll be safe putting the AC away.

Well, tack on another 0.26" for yesterday bringing the event total to an even 2.40" Not bad at all. I'll be indulging in a needed long shower this morning, lol.

I'll second the 'take 'em out' nod. Of course we don't even have window units here let alone central AC. :whistle:

Summer's peaked, I would say. Sure, we'll have some more warm/hot days but with cool, lengthening nights and September around the corner, I'd reckon you'll be safe putting the AC away.

Definitely agree... average lows at Morrisville-Stowe Airport peaked at 55F a little while ago and now are falling back down (53F right now). Won't be long till we are averaging upper 40s at night. Even if we get some warm afternoons (which are bound to happen), the nights cool off very quickly these days. I've been noticing its in the upper 50s by the time I go to sleep before midnight the past couple days. Fog is also taking noticeably longer to burn off in the morning, not sure if any of you guys notice that but we used to burn it off by 8am in mid-summer. The past two days its been more like 9:30 before it completely clears out with the lower sun angle. Yesterday Montpelier reported fog till 9:10am and Morrisville till 9:40am... definitely a sign of the changing strength of the sun.

We always have a run of warm days sometime between late August to mid-September but even if it hits mid/upper 80s the nights fall back well into the 50s. Gene is up on a hill above 1,000ft so he may not cool off as well at night, but on the flip side he won't get as warm during the day as I will. I think its safe to say you can pull the AC, if you needed it at all. I can only remember maybe 2-3 nights I wish I had it this summer... during that one heat wave where we hit 90-93F for 3 days; but nights still were mid 60s which isn't *too* bad.

The next few days look perfect... slightly warmer than normal high temps, average low temps: 82/54, 83/51, 81/53

A good ol' mountain valley 30F diurnal spread each day between roughly 12z and 00z.

Had a good storm here. Plenty of lightning/thunder with several ground strikes that I observed on my commute home. Seems to have been some wind as my carpet near the windows was wet and the sills had standing water. Power also was out for an hour and a half. Checking out the mesonet, I may have had a half inch of rain. I'd have thought it was more. Wet August in these parts.

Nice purple radar in Belgrade about 4 yesterday aft, and Smithfield, to the NE, recorded a 60 mph gust. Nothing IMBY then, and the 8-9 PM warnings for southrn Oxford/Franklin Ctys were for a cell that turned north before getting here, then fizzled. It was very ice to get nearly 1.5 of perfect garden rain Mon-Tues, but for strong storms it's been since 2009 at least since we've had anything, despite al the action nearby.

Thunderstorm with very high winds just came through. Many trees down. Recorded 45mph on my Davis and that was a west wind and I have an evergreen just to the west of the station so I estimate winds well into the 50's. Didn't loose power at the house (unbelievably) but at our rental house on Newfound Lake 2 large trees are blocking the road and it is a dead end road so about 50 people are stranded not being able to get out and no power. Had to call 911 for the first time in my life. Poles are down too. What a mess. We have 8 people renting, no access, no power and no water. Going to take awhile to clean up.

Gene

PS Still raining but not much QPF. Just WIND!

Thunderstorm with very high winds just came through. Many trees down. Recorded 45mph on my Davis and that was a west wind and I have an evergreen just to the west of the station so I estimate winds well into the 50's. Didn't loose power at the house (unbelievably) but at our rental house on Newfound Lake 2 large trees are blocking the road and it is a dead end road so about 50 people are stranded not being able to get out and no power. Had to call 911 for the first time in my life. Poles are down too. What a mess. We have 8 people renting, no access, no power and no water. Going to take awhile to clean up.

Gene

PS Still raining but not much QPF. Just WIND!

Wow... congrats on the storm and sorry about the damage. The line looked pretty weak when it passed over you so I'm surprised it was so intense. You can now join my club of people who were distressed about missing out on the storms all summer and then got one which delivered more than you ever could have wanted. :lol:

And on that note I was bent over and left with only 0.11".

Thought this one was coming right for you... now it's gonna pass well north of both of us. Tragic.

Edit: I saved a 23 frame loop to show the motion better but the gif is showing 12 frames. It seems to do this no matter how many frames I try to save... weird.

post-18-0-71081200-1313972367.gif

Archived