• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

Thought it was time for a summer thread for us NNE peeps. Not quite the solstice but it's summer out there all the same.

The weather's been a bit quiet lately but I'm sure we'll have some storms & heat to talk about at some point.

ULL swirling over PA at the moment & had a few showers pass overhead earlier in the afternoon...

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some very fast developing showers in Lakes region NH this PM. A cell developed a few miles to my SW. These 2 pictures were taken from my webcam Note the 2 time stamps, the 2nd one was taken just 3 minutes and 30 seconds after the first. . Center of the cell passed just to my westbut gave me.30". A friend of mine that lives just 2 miles west of me said it washed out a bit of their dirt road so must have put down some quick good rain.

post-268-0-78728700-1308347687.jpg

post-268-0-69454500-1308347705.jpg

0.3" between 5-6am this morning... couple claps of thunder.

Its 54F at the top of the Gondola, 61F here at the base. Gondola opens here in a couple hours for summer hikers and scenic trips. Feels almost like the winter routine, but much more relaxed, haha. The view from up there will likely be awesome this morning with lots of low level fog and scud filling the valleys.

Enjoy your Saturday.

0.42" so far on the day. Hit 73.9F for a high before noon, but it's now a rain cooled 65.6F.

Had 73 for a high here yesterday too. Not bad. I'll take that any summer's day.

Also had 0.76" of rain quite the downpour last evening--highest 24 hour precip total here since the middle of May.

Good for the well, bad for the driveway--got trenched out pretty good in one spot. Guess I'll have to get the tractor out and do a little grading today. Beacuse, ya know, I didn't have anything else to do. :whistle::scooter:

0.3" between 5-6am this morning... couple claps of thunder.

Its 54F at the top of the Gondola, 61F here at the base. Gondola opens here in a couple hours for summer hikers and scenic trips. Feels almost like the winter routine, but much more relaxed, haha. The view from up there will likely be awesome this morning with lots of low level fog and scud filling the valleys.

Enjoy your Saturday.

I'm very excited to get say "see you there" when the gondola re-opens for winter.

It's an odd pattern the N/E has been in. I know there have been a lot of story lines so far- flash flooding, severe weather, Champlain flooding, but I don't get the sense that we've really seen this summers pattern yet. IDK. 09 was super wet and cool and we all agreed it wasn't changing until late august. Last year by this time it had hit the 90s a few times already and we knew we were headed that way all summer. This summer...just feels confused. Maybe "active" is the best and only word to describe. Good day, bad day. Hot day, cool day. "Variable" would be another suitable option in my mind.

We just got crushed by a severe storm in Stowe... that was absolute madness for a while.

The sky turned black over Mansfield and then all hell broke loose with high winds and large hail as the storm moved down the Mountain Road (RT 108) from the ski area, past my house, and into the center of town with the junction with RT 100.

It was almost as if this storm was following The Mountain Road from the ski resort down to the center of town where the radar ends.

I had my windows open at home and the strong wind/hail combo destroyed my west facing screens... all the sudden I had hail coming into the house as the wind-driven hail broke through the screens. Wow that was some wind! Lost power briefly but it came right back on.

Hail stones inside my house now.

IMG_6340_edited-1.jpg

Didn't even have to go outside to get some stones to check for size... just picked 'em up off the bedroom and living room floor. Max size was approaching the size of a quarter.

IMG_6339_edited-1.jpg

Best storm of the season so far up here with the wind and hail combo... a nice direct hit of max DBZs. And to think I had just come back from the top of the Gondola... I missed that one up there by about a half hour. Bet it was wild but fun inside at 3700ft watching that black storm roll over the ridgeline.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
249 PM EDT SAT JUN 18 2011

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION... 	...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
           ..REMARKS..

0200 PM 	HAIL         	STOWE               	44.47N  72.69W
06/18/2011  M1.00 INCH   	LAMOILLE       	VT   TRAINED SPOTTER

STOWE MOUNTAIN ROAD

It was almost as if this storm was following The Mountain Road from the ski resort down to the center of town where the radar ends.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the mountain road follow a valley? I'm thinking if the steering winds are week the microscale winds in the valley could have driven the storm's path.

And yes- the plan is a "mansfield" pass...it's pricey as hell but it seems worth it.

lol ... I may have spoken too soon wrt quarter-size hail in my living room ...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY MAINE HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHERN YORK COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST MAINE...

SOUTHWESTERN CUMBERLAND COUNTY IN MAINE...

* UNTIL 545 PM EDT...

* AT 457 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND

DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR

STANDISH...OR 8 MILES SOUTHWEST OF NORTH WINDHAM...AND MOVING

SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

And now Freak's storm is severe into Maine ... might just get clipped by the northern end of it. By my count there are currently 6 active warnings in southern Maine.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

517 PM EDT SAT JUN 18 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY MAINE HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

EASTERN BELKNAP COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEW HAMPSHIRE...

NORTHWESTERN STRAFFORD COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEW HAMPSHIRE...

SOUTHERN CARROLL COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE...

NORTHWESTERN YORK COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST MAINE...

* UNTIL 600 PM EDT...

* AT 516 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE

HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE

LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM OSSIPEE TO 13 MILES WEST OF

WOLFEBORO...OR ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM OSSIPEE TO LACONIA...AND

MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

Radar says I got nailed from the warned cell but ground truth is less exciting... wind maybe to 35mph and very little rain, .06". Only one single distant rumble of thunder.... weird. Probably should have jogged up the street over to Governors Island.

The gust front arrived unexpectedly and grabbed a glass storm door, snapping the closer-chain thingy and scaring the shiat out of a few dozen bikers huddled under the overhang... lol

post-18-0-38061100-1308431705.gif

Nice, Jayhawk! Yeah this was a nice surprise SVR day it looks like... scattered cells but boy do they mean business. BTV has quite a few large hail reports from their warning area.

I'm impressed that some of those cells held together all the way to the Maine coastline!

Interesting little event, just enough ingredients to make things go.

Despite marginal mid level lapse rates, warming to near 80 got us 2000 J/kg CAPE (plenty of that in the hail growth zone). Once the storms got east of the sea breeze they really just became elevated hailers (and with 2000 MUCAPE all the way to the coast we still got golf ball size hail in S. Portland).

Some very nice supercellular structures on many of the storms, including one that went just north of the WFO with a great shelf cloud.

Its 54F at the top of the Gondola, 61F here at the base. Gondola opens here in a couple hours for summer hikers and scenic trips. Feels almost like the winter routine, but much more relaxed, haha.

We were in the Burlington area overnight last night, and around midday we went to a soccer game in Essex Junction – the temperature there was 80 F, with partly/mostly sunny skies. It was a little warm when the sun was out, but quite pleasant when the sun was behind clouds. Going home in the early afternoon though was when we noted a dramatic difference in temperatures. The temperature cooled steadily as we headed east into the mountains; it was 63.8 F at the house with a mix of clouds, sun and occasional thunderstorms/showers in there as well. The greater than 16 F drop in the span of 20 miles with little if any elevation change was certainly striking.

On another summer weather note, I spent last week in the Sonoran Desert region of Arizona at a conference, where the temperatures were typically around 100 F each day and there was never even a hint of clouds. To have low 60s F back at home today was quite a treat. Yes it’s a “dry” heat out there in Arizona, but apparently not “dry” enough, because much of the day is shot for outdoor activities since it’s too hot and sunny to do anything. I’m sure Tip and others that have been looking for that coveted Sonoran heat would be happy if I’d brought some back, but getting a taste of how monotonous 100F, zero chance of clouds, and zero chance of rain can be for months on end certainly makes one appreciate what a great climate we have here. To be able to have today’s high temperatures of 60 to 70 F with a mix of clouds and sun along with reasonable humidity levels at summer solstice time is pretty nice in my book. Late evenings, nights, and early mornings were certainly comfortable for being outside out in Arizona, but overnight lows were still only down to about 70 F, which isn’t outrageously great for sleeping without some air conditioning in my book. Certainly the desert southwest is much nicer in the October through April period in terms of temperatures, but boy what a summer to get through if one doesn’t migrate! I just noticed that our point forecast for tonight is 45 F, with 43 F for tomorrow, and similar temperatures in the 40s and 50s F all the way through the extended next weekend, so after the desert heat that is going to be quite nice.

Not a drop yet here today. :lol: I've somehow managed to miss every cell completely. Even these little rinkydink downpours skirting by the area now. The ones to my SW had some beautiful towers around sunset.

Missed everything here too. The towers were beautiful at sunset and I was surprised they seem to build even though the surface temperatures were cooling. One tower went over me around 9pm and around 9:30ish there was about 6 laps of thunder to my east. I was surprised.

Sure cool and breezy this AM, still have not taken my first swim in Newfound Lake. I need to get the water in the 70's and doesn't look too likely anytime real soon.

Missed everything here too. The towers were beautiful at sunset and I was surprised they seem to build even though the surface temperatures were cooling. One tower went over me around 9pm and around 9:30ish there was about 6 laps of thunder to my east. I was surprised.

Sure cool and breezy this AM, still have not taken my first swim in Newfound Lake. I need to get the water in the 70's and doesn't look too likely anytime real soon.

The cold pool was dropping SE into Maine so even though we were losing some sfc heating we were cooling the mid/upper levels slightly to keep the lapse rates strong enough for a little convection around sunset. I love seeing the high cumulus towers amidst a clear blue sky during that time of the day.

Anyways...it is beautiful outside right now. Low was 51.1F and it's up to a clear 59.5F. It'll probably end up in the M-U70s here with tds in the U30s at times this afternoon. The NW breeze over 10mph actually gives a bit of a chill in the air.

Archived