• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

Even on cloudy, murky days the mountains still offer up some fun views... my new thing is to hoof it up the mountain, sometimes trail running, and then ride the gondy down. Its a nice way to utilize the infrastructure on the mountain, haha, because I hate down hiking... its very hard on the knees and you're not getting any real physical benefit except painful joints. I'd rather save my knees for bashing bumps in the winter.

Ceiling around 2,200ft... cabins in the mist.

IMG_6369_edited-2.jpg

This patch of snow is hanging on... thinking it'll make it to the 4th of July as its still several feet thick in the middle.

IMG_6377_edited-2.jpg

Several layers of clouds up at various elevations today... thick layer between 2,200ft and 3,500ft...then a break before you hit the mid-level cloud deck.

IMG_6388_edited-2.jpg

A few neighboring hill tops poking out of the clouds.

IMG_6394_edited-2.jpg

And finally, below the low level cloud deck...

IMG_6397_edited-2.jpg

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 11am the dew point was 53F... at 6pm its now 64F. It is a very noticeable increase and with another tenth of rain in the past hour it is feeling quite muggy out there.

More thunderstorms traversing the state... currently getting another round of rain and thunder here (a few good lightning strikes with this cell, too). Looks like there'll be more with that line passing BTV area now. Heavy rain and storms down in Rutland county pushing east, too.

PF, nice pics, and your leftover snow still looks like snow. The AUG snowdumps look like dirt piles, except on the warmest and most humid mornings (very few so far this yr) when they're surrounded by fog. Still 10'+ high, so I figure 7/15 for extinction.

55/48 here yesterday, with showers 10-noon for another 0.11", then the same old cloudy and cool, which continues so far this morning, though the temp is a bit less cool. Since my 14-yr avg for 6/25 is 77/51/64, yesterday was near the avg for minimum, -22 for maximum. Time for some sun; my tomatos are doing surprisingly well, but the peppers look about the same as when I planted them 3 weeks ago.

there ya go. at least the beer doesn't warm up fast, right?

Good point. I keep good beer in the fridge down in the house but I also have a stock of cheaper "shop beer" (Coors) that I keep in a cooler on the cement part of the floor in the workshop/garage. It definitely stays cooler up there when the weather is like this, ha-ha.

Well, had a morning shower yesterday, then just murky for most of the day and then yep, saw some patches of blue sky for a while yesterday afternoon...actually felt like thinks might be drying out a bit....only to have another round of showers come though in the evening corresponding with the radar grap that Powderfreak posted, noting the storms over Rutland Co. We could hear the thunder in the distance but only plain rain passed overhead. Only 0.15" of liquid here yesterday but just enough to keep everything slimey for the slugs.

Hung more drywall inside yesterday...hoping to mow/hay today.

As for the deer talk--just anecdotally, I've seen a lot around lately and several poor roadkill specimens. They seem to be out browsing around in the yet-to-be-hayed fields with only their backs & heads sticking up above the tall vegetation...

Nice pics PF. Your joy of the Mts. is appreciated, I'll grab some from this end of the state for ya

Yesterday was one of those you could watch the impending soaker coming. Looking at Mt. Sutton/E Townships ridgeline from the ride yesterday, big sky style

IMG_2458.jpg

Allenson- its funny, we saw a doe in the same fashion, ears and a white flag poking up in waist high meadow. Got rewarded for getting "lost" for a bit on the ride to Glover yesterday, spent a minute in a stare down with a beautiful orange/brown doe, little skinny, but she's got time to plump up

another .5" in the bucket from last night, needed it like another hole in the headsmile.gif

Yesterday was one of those you could watch the impending soaker coming. Looking at Mt. Sutton/E Townships ridgeline from the ride yesterday, big sky style

another .5" in the bucket from last night, needed it like another hole in the headsmile.gif

:thumbsup: Nice view... I love watching rain or snow move in from a distance, watching as the far away hills disappear and then finally the nearby hills vanish then its on top of you.

And yeah, we are now up to around 2" since this abortion started on Thursday night... 4.5" for June. Wet pattern continues.

Here's the 24 hour precipitation map from 7am this morning... we've had almost another 0.2" from occasional showers today.

PF, nice pics, and your leftover snow still looks like snow. The AUG snowdumps look like dirt piles, except on the warmest and most humid mornings (very few so far this yr) when they're surrounded by fog. Still 10'+ high, so I figure 7/15 for extinction.

10 feet high is pretty impressive for this time of year...haha. And yeah, the few remaining snow patches on Mansfield do look fairly dirty, but they haven't been contaminated like parking lot piles. The debris is primarily pine needles and whatever dust/dirt/pollen has accumulated on the snow.

The funny thing is the little snow that is remaining in a few select spots probably fell back in early December, haha. That snow is probably on its 7th month of sitting on the earth's surface, lol.

Well, yesterday afternoon turned out pretty nice--actually crested the 70 degree mark with some breaks of sun/blue sky.

Then, had one more shower come through around 8pm depositing 0.12". No biggie.

Up to 4.21" for June, which really isn't anything terribly earth shattering. Had just over 6" in June last year....

Lovely morning out there now though--bright blue sky, a few scraps of mist/fog rising up from the dales and very comfortable. Nice morning for a ride. :pimp:

Hey guys. Left rainy New Hampshire a couple of days ago to visit my family who live in Bend Oregon at the base of the Cascades in Central Oregon. Took the flight out and had 20 middle school kids on the Laconia ski club on the plane. They were all headed out to ski the week on Mount Hood which is totally open. Just a ton of snow in the mountains, and down in relatively low elevations too. Swam at the pool yesterday in Bend then drove 20 minutes outside of the city into the Cascades where there is deep snow cover. Not just above treeline but everywhere. Looks like mid winter but there was not a cloud in the sky and 65F. Good way to fry your skin in 10 minutes!

Here are 2 pictures along the Cascade Lakes Highway at around 6000 feet. Snow depth seem to be 3 feet in the exposed open fields and I can't guess the depth in the woods, 10 feet maybe? Of course the high peaks were 4000 feet higher than my location so the snow depth up there must be incrediable in the ravines!

Gene

post-268-0-42987200-1309188866.jpg

post-268-0-52275900-1309188885.jpg

Allenson- its funny, we saw a doe in the same fashion, ears and a white flag poking up in waist high meadow. Got rewarded for getting "lost" for a bit on the ride to Glover yesterday, spent a minute in a stare down with a beautiful orange/brown doe, little skinny, but she's got time to plump up

Boldface is right on. Most deer look skinny right now, especially does who've dropped fawns in the past 2-3 weeks. Deer lose about 10% (guesswork) of their body diameter just going from winter coat to summer.

Had another 0.15" yest, mainly evening shower, so my June precip is a back-loaded 2.5", about the lowest I could find in Maine - CAR is at 7.8", about tops. We had PC between noon-3 but cloudy the rest of the day, so it goes into the books as mostly cloudy. Only a few very small CU in the AUG sky at present. Looks like the month's temps will be 1/2-1F below the avg here, thanks to the 2 runs of drizzly 50s.

Here are 2 pictures along the Cascade Lakes Highway at around 6000 feet. Snow depth seem to be 3 feet in the exposed open fields and I can't guess the depth in the woods, 10 feet maybe? Of course the high peaks were 4000 feet higher than my location so the snow depth up there must be incrediable in the ravines!

Gene

Jeez... I'm curious when those trees actually do their growing.

Looks like both warned cells will pass on either side of me rather neatly. Dryslot might get rocked up in Lewiston, though. Hope he gets off the 15th green.

Yeah eric, Don't get on much in the summer on here, But we did get some pea size hail from that cell, Seems like we have had a more active pattern for thunderstorms this year so far...

Jeez... I'm curious when those trees actually do their growing.

That is a very good question! The spring out here was very cold. Here in Bend the fruit trees just lost there petals. Pine pollen is unbelievable. Our white pine pollen peaked, what a month ago? The pine trees are all sprouting new growth down here at town level (3500feet) but nothing has started sprouting up in the higher elevations that I could see. All the pine saplings are still under feet of snow so this year the growing season has to be very very short.

Hey guys. Left rainy New Hampshire a couple of days ago to visit my family who live in Bend Oregon at the base of the Cascades in Central Oregon. Took the flight out and had 20 middle school kids on the Laconia ski club on the plane. They were all headed out to ski the week on Mount Hood which is totally open. Just a ton of snow in the mountains, and down in relatively low elevations too. Swam at the pool yesterday in Bend then drove 20 minutes outside of the city into the Cascades where there is deep snow cover. Not just above treeline but everywhere. Looks like mid winter but there was not a cloud in the sky and 65F. Good way to fry your skin in 10 minutes!

Gene

Wow...pretty cool. Unbelievable considering that we're already past the solstice. From the looks of it, they'll probably have snow OTG for at least another 2-3 weeks where those shots were taken. I remember when there were patches of snow in the evergreen woods near Plymouth, NH a few years ago in the first week of May and I thought it was remarkable.

Jealousy doesn't even begin to describe the feeling... haha. Thanks for sharing, that's freakin' awesome! :snowman:

It is hard to get a case of the "Mondays" at work when the weather is this nice... high today at the 3,700ft office was a balmy 65 degrees. The omni-present breeze up there kept the warm 60s refreshing. Down here in the village it looks like my high was 82F (which jives with the usual ~15-20F difference between town and upper mountain) after a low of 52F. That to me is a perfect summer day for the valley...30F temperature swing with a low near 50F and a high near 80F under late-June sunshine.

Anyway, here are some pics from work...

IMG_6418_edited-2.jpg

Spent the morning watching the radiation fog in the valleys of eastern Vermont rise and dissipate with the start of daytime heating.

IMG_6428_edited-2.jpg

5-star summer day in the Northern Greens...

IMG_6430_edited-2.jpg

It is hard to get a case of the "Mondays" at work when the weather is this nice... high today at the 3,700ft office was a balmy 65 degrees. The omni-present breeze up there kept the warm 60s refreshing. Down here in the village it looks like my high was 82F (which jives with the usual ~15-20F difference between town and upper mountain) after a low of 52F. That to me is a perfect summer day for the valley...30F temperature swing with a low near 50F and a high near 80F under late-June sunshine.

Anyway, here are some pics from work...

IMG_6418_edited-2.jpg

Spent the morning watching the radiation fog in the valleys of eastern Vermont rise and dissipate with the start of daytime heating.

IMG_6428_edited-2.jpg

5-star summer day in the Northern Greens...

IMG_6430_edited-2.jpg

And this is why I'm moving.

Stop torturing us lowlanders. Even Pete must be jealous.

Why he lives in his hamlet vs up in the Greens is beyond me.

Yeah he loves MRG like I love Mansfield/Stowe... he really would be better off living within 10 minutes of MRG, haha. I hear "family" and commitments get in the way of stuff like that, which is why I'm glad I moved up here when I had no other responsibilities except my own satisfaction, lol. Now I can build around this area; I may not always live in Stowe proper but I have a feeling I will never be far from this mountain which has captured my imagination.

Yeah he loves MRG like I love Mansfield/Stowe... he really would be better off living within 10 minutes of MRG, haha. I hear "family" and commitments get in the way of stuff like that, which is why I'm glad I moved up here when I had no other responsibilities except my own satisfaction, lol. Now I can build around this area; I may not always live in Stowe proper but I have a feeling I will never be far from this mountain which has captured my imagination.

its funny, you could replace Mansfield with Jay in the statement and it sounded just like me 12 years ago.

wait till you start drifting away from Manny - the "pinch yourself" beauty of VT starts to really cloud the defining of favorite, its a tough problem to have :)

That is a very good question! The spring out here was very cold. Here in Bend the fruit trees just lost there petals. Pine pollen is unbelievable. Our white pine pollen peaked, what a month ago? The pine trees are all sprouting new growth down here at town level (3500feet) but nothing has started sprouting up in the higher elevations that I could see. All the pine saplings are still under feet of snow so this year the growing season has to be very very short.

Great pics, man. My wife's father's side of the family is all from Oregon. My wife was born in Portland and my father-in-law is from there but now lives in Sun River, just a little ways south of Bend. I've been out there a few times--interesting area, for sure. It's amazing how dry it gets, very quickly, when one heads east of Bend. I've only been out there in the summer/early fall when it's still pretty sweltering. We did a couple day trips out to the "high desert" around Fort Rock. Not much out there but tumbleweeds. ;)

We're headed out to the Pac-NW in September except this time we'll be staying on the west side of the Cascades and actually going out to the islands in Puget Sound, WA.....

Haha... should be a bit better fit for you than Philly.

Whoa, I thought adk was... just across the lake in the adk. I figured the move was just a change of mountain range with a bit more powder in which to play. But Philly to VT… that is big! I'm biased of course, but I'd be very excited.

Now I can build around this area.

I like your plan PF. Our neighbors from across the street were from CT, and the family moved up here in 2005 because they really liked the lifestyle and were frequently coming up to see family and ski anyway. The dad is actually the public works director in Stowe now. Getting to establish yourself here while you’re younger is a great opportunity since you obviously love the area – you won’t have to worry about getting “stuck” somewhere else.

We're headed out to the Pac-NW in September except this time we'll be staying on the west side of the Cascades and actually going out to the islands in Puget Sound, WA.....

What a great part of the country, I have family that lives on Whidbey Island up there in the sound. One of the few other parts of the country I could see myself living in other than New England.

What a great part of the country, I have family that lives on Whidbey Island up there in the sound. One of the few other parts of the country I could see myself living in other than New England.

No snow, no good. Although the big peaks are close by out there, it would be frustrating to spend Dec-Mar with every day 39/37 and rain.

Archived