• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

Haven't been keeping up with the wx - no tv or internet at the new place yet - but I did notice the developing storms off to the north on the way into Portland. We could use some rain. Pretty warm in the interior ... looks like upper 80s on the homefront. But here on the shore it's pretty damn nice in the mid 70s. Dews are a pain, though.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been keeping up with the wx - no tv or internet at the new place yet - but I did notice the developing storms off to the north on the way into Portland. We could use some rain. Pretty warm in the interior ... looks like upper 80s on the homefront. But here on the shore it's pretty damn nice in the mid 70s. Dews are a pain, though.

North of the old place??

I've noticed this. Our friend has often asked about this. I've chalked it up to confluence. You know you funnel air into other air and a tight space, some of it is going to be forced to rise and with moist air and cold temps the LCL is like .2 feet above the ground - any rising is going to get some flakes flying.

Well, I don’t know if upslope or confluence had any effect on the precipitation in the past 24 hours, but we got hit again in the Winooski Valley, and totals tapered off as one moved away from the spine. We were actually camping at Little River State Park a few miles to the northeast of here with friends last night, and the wind picked up very impressively, we got a lightning/thunder show, and then about a half hour later we got a good round of rain. Presumably the same stuff hit here because we ended up with 0.77” in the gauge this morning (with about a quarter inch of that coming from yesterday morning’s other episode of rain):

04JUL11A.jpg

What is your attitude when not on the luxo-barge?

My attitude is always cantankerous, Hubby. On or off Vim Toot's ark, I'm a curmudgeon.

Now, if it's my elevation you are wondering about.... Here, high above the banks of the mighty Aroostook river, we are on the edge of a severe thunderstorm as I peck. My scaredy-cat pup corgi Legsy is cowering beneath my raised recliner. We just marched in the 7/4 parade through Slimestone, ME. My pup and I.

Wore my black homburg which was a baked mistake. Hot and sweaty. But the slimestoners loved Legsy. My pup.

The River is 3/8 mile and 150' down-field of the Vim Toot wanagan. It's elevation hereabouts is just 500'. So I'm at 650'. Surrounding hilltops and ridges are 900-1000' tops. The highest near prominence is Mars Hill, a monadnock, 10 miles to our south- 1700'.

Mt Katahdin- 5267', is around 60 miles SSW of here and is plainly visible from any rise.

What we lack in elevation is made up for in latitude.

Vim Toot!

Well, I don’t know if upslope or confluence had any effect on the precipitation in the past 24 hours, but we got hit again in the Winooski Valley, and totals tapered off as one moved away from the spine. We were actually camping at Little River State Park a few miles to the northeast of here with friends last night, and the wind picked up very impressively, we got a lightning/thunder show, and then about a half hour later we got a good round of rain. Presumably the same stuff hit here because we ended up with 0.77” in the gauge this morning (with about a quarter inch of that coming from yesterday morning’s other episode of rain):

04JUL11A.jpg

I don't think elevation was much of a factor yesterday. A line of thunderstorms came down from the north - a bit of an odd direction of travel for them. I had a severe thunderstorm warning when I went to bed but it looked like the radar was petering out a bit when I last looked. If they hit us this way, it was only a glancing hit. I think they were in better shape up your way.

Had a little cell pop overhead and drop giant raindrops long enough to get .02"

Sun came out and baked the wet pavement... making it steam nicely which gave a dewpoint spike up to 75. It was delightfully tropical, but then it was like someone hit a switch and the humidity free-fell all way down to 58-61. It's actually pretty comfortable now.

High was 87.4

Had a little cell pop overhead and drop giant raindrops long enough to get .02"

Sun came out and baked the wet pavement... making it steam nicely which gave a dewpoint spike up to 75. It was delightfully tropical, but then it was like someone hit a switch and the humidity free-fell all way down to 58-61. It's actually pretty comfortable now.

High was 87.4

Hit 86.5F here. ASH hit at least 90F and MHT/CON will be close with some 89F obs. While winds were from the S-SSW through early afternoon I had a high td of 72F. Then the NW flow kicked in and it dried right out behind that boundary with dews near 60F.

My attitude is always cantankerous, Hubby. On or off Vim Toot's ark, I'm a curmudgeon.

Now, if it's my elevation you are wondering about.... Here, high above the banks of the mighty Aroostook river, we are on the edge of a severe thunderstorm as I peck. My scaredy-cat pup corgi Legsy is cowering beneath my raised recliner. We just marched in the 7/4 parade through Slimestone, ME. My pup and I.

Wore my black homburg which was a baked mistake. Hot and sweaty. But the slimestoners loved Legsy. My pup.

The River is 3/8 mile and 150' down-field of the Vim Toot wanagan. It's elevation hereabouts is just 500'. So I'm at 650'. Surrounding hilltops and ridges are 900-1000' tops. The highest near prominence is Mars Hill, a monadnock, 10 miles to our south- 1700'.

Mt Katahdin- 5267', is around 60 miles SSW of here and is plainly visible from any rise.

Vim Toot!

Mt Katahdin is my favorite mountain in New England. You live in a great part of the world

04JUL11A.jpg

It looks like 0.45" at the CoCoRAHS station that is very close to my home location... you beat me again!

Man if I ever need to be between Burlington and Mansfield again, I'm living right next to you. I looked at an apartment directly across the river from you in Duxbury and would've been a half mile to a mile from you.

Every time I look at the CoCoRAHS maps your location is almost always the "wettest." You sure your rain gage isn't under your gutters? ;)

It amazes me in a great way the amount of precipitation you squeeze out over the course of a year from the Spine.

I don't think elevation was much of a factor yesterday. A line of thunderstorms came down from the north - a bit of an odd direction of travel for them. I had a severe thunderstorm warning when I went to bed but it looked like the radar was petering out a bit when I last looked. If they hit us this way, it was only a glancing hit. I think they were in better shape up your way.

Yeah it may not have been elevation dependent but its hard to argue with the heavier totals always found within close proximity to the Spine. J.Spin sits literally underneath the geographic spine if you were to draw a line between the summits. If you were to plot those numbers with contours I think there would be a correlation with terrain just by a quick glance at that CoCoRAHS map. It may be all chance though.

Vim Toot!

Even at that latitude, elevation makes a diference. Our snowfall in marginal-temp events was much better in the back settlement at 1,000' than on the flats in town at about 550', and we probably averaged 10-15% greater snowfall at the higher elev. However, the flats would be 10-15F colder on still clear mornings. Coldest I saw in 4 winters at 1,000' was -34 (twice, one of them with winds gusting into the 30s and -SN.) In 5.7 winters on the flats I had 10 mornings colder than that, including 4 in the 40s, -41/-42/-42/-47. Also had two mornings there at -34.

High struggled into the mid 60s at work today at 3,625ft... strong west winds in the morning diminished to a light breeze in the afternoon, but needed long pants and a light jacket for the first half of the day as the thermometer jumped around between 58-62F for a while before rising to 64F for the afternoon.

You know it was a solid winter when there's a patch of snow in the woods on July 4th...

IMG_6513_edited-2.jpg

Morning dawned foggy in the valley, crystal clear above 1,300ft, and then another cloud covering 3,600-4,400ft on the mountain... maybe it was formed by the fast west winds we had this morning interacting with the south-north spine. Gustiest its been in the base area in a while, had to run the gondola slow for part of the morning.

IMG_6472_edited-2.jpg

And the view from up just under the cloud... west winds carrying cloud streamers over the ridge and down the east side of the mountain; compressional warming drying out the atmosphere. This all happening above the low level fog in the village from the overnight storm followed by clearing.

IMG_6495_edited-2.jpg

Happy 4th everyone...

IMG_6537_edited-2.jpg

Enjoyed my trip out to the NW Cascades. My brother in law sent me this picture of him taken 2 days ago. The picture is of Three Creeks Lake at 6550 feet just west of Bend Oregon. Still solid snow cover at 6000 feet and as you can see ice was not yet out of the lake yet. Incrediable for July 2nd!

post-268-0-49559700-1309830682.jpg

Even at that latitude, elevation makes a diference. Our snowfall in marginal-temp events was much better in the back settlement at 1,000' than on the flats in town at about 550', and we probably averaged 10-15% greater snowfall at the higher elev. However, the flats would be 10-15F colder on still clear mornings. Coldest I saw in 4 winters at 1,000' was -34 (twice, one of them with winds gusting into the 30s and -SN.) In 5.7 winters on the flats I had 10 mornings colder than that, including 4 in the 40s, -41/-42/-42/-47. Also had two mornings there at -34.

Oh yeah Hackmatack, elevation matters no matter the latitude.

Even my little 150' grade down to the river bank makes a difference. And there's a world of difference between my 650' and anything >1000'.

My one regret about buying this joint is the lack of elevation. if I'd gone another 350' or more up my sledding season would be two weeks longer. Rats.

Elevation is certainly a more crucial factor in determining the quality of one's winter than latitude. In our region of the world just 500' more elevation is the equivalent (in the Vim Toot latitude to elevation conversion tables) of 2.0/2.5 degrees more latitude.

I figure tree line at 45n in the NE is around 4000'-5000'. Tree line varies according to landmass form/proximity to water/regional climate patterns/ and continental or maritime regimes. Lots of permutations but my simple guess is Eastern N America's sea level tree line is around 60n-65n. So 20 more degrees of latitude brings the tree line to zero thus one degree of latitude is as good as 200'-250' of elevation.

Moving just 500' higher up the hillside is the same as moving 120-150 miles poleward.

So those weenies who can't adjust their lives so as to increase their latitude can surely improve their winters by remaining in the hood but higher up.

Finally, what did you do with that .3 remainder of a winter up there in the Stained John Valley?????

Vim Toot!

klw, did you go to the tractor parade in Peacham yesterday? Saw it on WCAX, looked like fun. Peacham is a beautiful town.

klw, did you go to the tractor parade in Peacham yesterday? Saw it on WCAX, looked like fun. Peacham is a beautiful town.

I did go. It was about half an hour long. Fairly fun. I saw a reporter and a camera person walking up the road and wondered what TV station was there. Must have been CAX. Interesting division of labor. The on-camera reporter (younger woman) carried the mike, camera person (older woman- well older than reporter) carried the huge tripod and camera. It looked a little unbalanced.

Oh yeah Hackmatack, elevation matters no matter the latitude.

Even my little 150' grade down to the river bank makes a difference. And there's a world of difference between my 650' and anything >1000'.

My one regret about buying this joint is the lack of elevation. if I'd gone another 350' or more up my sledding season would be two weeks longer. Rats.

Elevation is certainly a more crucial factor in determining the quality of one's winter than latitude. In our region of the world just 500' more elevation is the equivalent (in the Vim Toot latitude to elevation conversion tables) of 2.0/2.5 degrees more latitude.

I figure tree line at 45n in the NE is around 4000'-5000'. Tree line varies according to landmass form/proximity to water/regional climate patterns/ and continental or maritime regimes. Lots of permutations but my simple guess is Eastern N America's sea level tree line is around 60n-65n. So 20 more degrees of latitude brings the tree line to zero thus one degree of latitude is as good as 200'-250' of elevation.

Moving just 500' higher up the hillside is the same as moving 120-150 miles poleward.

So those weenies who can't adjust their lives so as to increase their latitude can surely improve their winters by remaining in the hood but higher up.

Finally, what did you do with that .3 remainder of a winter up there in the Stained John Valley?????

Vim Toot!

I'd heard (in my forest ecology class at U.Maine) that 400' was roughly equal to 1 degree of latitude/70 miles. However, your calculations make sense, too (though treeline is above the Arctic Circle in western North America where the glaciers didn't skin off all the soil.)

That .3 winter was spent in BGR - had to get my forestry degree (Dec. 1975) before moving north on New Years Day. Since 12/75 was easily the best winter month of my 3 winters (1/73 thru 12/75) in BGR, and there was a nice Nov snowstorm, I missed some good stuff in Ft.Kent that Nov-Dec.

Archived