joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Persistent easterly fetch has been bringing us heavy drizzle all day. No budging on the temps .. a steady 59 or 60F since daybreak. I won't mind seeing the accumulating rain this pm considering the brushing of last night. I echo tamarack's sentiments about drought concerns ... gotta get the rain when you can.

Pouring now. :raining:

Could see the rain that got your area weakening as it crossed NH, and now it appears to be falling apart as it stumbles across Franklin Cty toward MBY. The more solid yellows look to stay well south, perhaps hitting Eric's BY but not too much farther north. Maybe the next bunch, whenever it appears, will do better up my way.

Could see the rain that got your area weakening as it crossed NH, and now it appears to be falling apart as it stumbles across Franklin Cty toward MBY. The more solid yellows look to stay well south, perhaps hitting Eric's BY but not too much farther north. Maybe the next bunch, whenever it appears, will do better up my way.

Not looking good here either for rain enthusiasts with the solid shield skirting southern-most Maine (+1 for alliteration). Sure, it's been wet all day but in the end it won't add up to too much. Keeping my eyes on the storms over NY. Plus side ... it isn't 95/73.

As of 7 AM my rainfall was up to 1.21" - for June; just 0.22" for this event, though radar suggests another 0.1-0.2" since 7 and there's a modest patch about to pass over MBY, so maybe we can get 1/2" total before things dry out. Moderate shower thru AUG about 3-3:30, nothing doing at the moment.

Max 56.2F...currently 54.8F. 0.20" rain today. Epic fail.

Yeah you guys closer to the Atlantic are taking this one on the chin... not much better over here but a few ticks warmer. High of 61F, low 53F today with right around 1.0" of rainfall over the past 36 hours. Just under 3.5" for June so far, which is a very dry month compared to April and May.

As usual in these set-ups, the closer you get to the Atlantic, the colder it gets. And as usual the Green Mountain Spine acts as the "wall" that seems to stop the very chilly, maritime airmass. The Champlain Valley has seen temps in the upper 60s to around 70F this afternoon while here on the other side of the Spine we are currently 57.6F.

Even the cold spot of Saranac Lake in the Adirondacks at close to 1,700ft had several hours in the 70-71F range, while the New England coastal plain was in the low 50s.

I'm cranky. Not even a basket full of extra fluffy orange and white kittens left by my door could improve my mood.

1.11" since this all started.

4" soil temp holding remarkably steady at 62.

52.9 (new low for the day) with a brief TSRA (only a few rumbles of thunder though)

1.32" rain (you and I actually have been a lot drier compared to the counties to our S and W)

6" soil temp is 64

Even I'm sick of the gloom now....and I have a soft spot for cool, cloudy weather.

High yesterday here was only 55F. On June the 24th!

Missed most of the showers yesterday but still managed to pick up 0.13" and raining pretty hard as I type.

Good day for inside projects. :arrowhead:

Even I'm sick of the gloom now....and I have a soft spot for cool, cloudy weather.

High yesterday here was only 55F. On June the 24th!

Missed most of the showers yesterday but still managed to pick up 0.13" and raining pretty hard as I type.

Good day for inside projects. :arrowhead:

Not you Allenson! don't go down the path of the bitchy NNE'r, stay strong man, throw on the gor-tex , slide into the muck boots and keep your chin up.

I'm only a junior member so FWIW I think in true NNE'r spirit if people are gonna cry they should at least have to come up with some good metaphors or sayings regarding the craptasticness of their conditions

We are over an 1" as PF stated, good slug weather

Re Winter: just got word no anterless tags for muzzleloader season for our zone or the NEK due to the harsh winter - F&W have a tough job, managing herd numbers seems like its worse than herding cats

Not you Allenson! don't go down the path of the bitchy NNE'r, stay strong man, throw on the gor-tex , slide into the muck boots and keep your chin up.

LOL--OK, I'll stay strong. Boots at the ready, rain coat within arm's reach.

I just want to be able to hay the lawn, that's all. ;)

Muck boots are pretty much standard issue around here!

I'm only a junior member so FWIW I think in true NNE'r spirit if people are gonna cry they should at least have to come up with some good metaphors or sayings regarding the craptasticness of their conditions

We are over an 1" as PF stated, good slug weather

Re Winter: just got word no anterless tags for muzzleloader season for our zone or the NEK due to the harsh winter - F&W have a tough job, managing herd numbers seems like its worse than herding cats

LOL, W try...

Temp 56/51 yest, and about 51 rigt now. However, we finally got some decent RA overnight, neqrly 0.8" to lift the 3-day total to 1.3", and some Donner und Blitzen 2-3 AM. If it's going to be cool/damp, at least it should rain enough to water the garden.

Any-deer tags are down about 40% this year in Maine, with 3 rough winters in the past 4, though my zone is down only about 10%. N.Maine has it he worst. When I lived there, the estimated deer pop was 3-4 per sq. mile. Might be under 1 now. In 1990 the registered deer kill for the norterly 8,000 sq. miles (about 1/4 of the state) was just under 2,900. In 2009 it was 376, down 87% - can you say "collapse"? Main causes are a bunch of big snow/cold winters beginning with 1992-93 and about half the winters since, loss of winter cover (spruce budworm mortality and the salvage harvesting in response), with coyotes adding to the pressure. The state lands managed by my agency have some of the best cover available, especially at Round Pond (on the middle Allagash), but even there the deer are less numerous. Lots of good moose habitat, though.

No new rainfall overnight other than a trace... looks like we got a round of showers moving in now though.

Currently 57F with an overnight low of 53F. We are still damp and chilly but continue to run 3-5F higher than a lot of you guys closer to the Atlantic. With that said, I'm starting to get jealous of BTV only 20 or so miles away but on the other side of the Green Mtn spine. They didn't get lower than 59F last night and will probably make another run at 70F or higher today. The "warmer" or modified air is so close... but I won't complain because I can't think of any snappy term for the current weather at this time, lol.

LOL--OK, I'll stay strong. Boots at the ready, rain coat within arm's reach.

I just want to be able to hay the lawn, that's all. ;)

Muck boots are pretty much standard issue around here!

there ya go. at least the beer doesn't warm up fast, right? The deck on our tractor is already at the top, thinking of bigger tires to get another inch of lift, seriously contemplating goats, sheep, or some other grazer that might taste good on a cold winter night

tamarack - pretty stunning numbers for ME. I recall hearing tales of dead deer being found IN trees 10"+ after a couple of those winters up north of Jackman, its interesting to see the ebb and flow of the habitat here in NNE, last year they couldn't hand out enough doe tags, this year they pull the reigns, hard

from a veggie/fruit standpoint I can confirm its the best strawberry season in the past 5 or so - something likes the rain

quick edit to add: we're lucky so far, light grey skies, no rain, cloud ceiling just boosted to 3K, at least for now

quick edit to add: we're lucky so far, light grey skies, no rain, cloud ceiling just boosted to 3K, at least for now

You're lucky... we're stuck here with a claustrophobic 2,000ft ceiling in the little West Branch of the Little River drainage. I could go for another 1,000ft to open things up a bit.

Archived