joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't get that here, Powder--showers overhead now but more bark than bite. Lots of thunder, a little rain, a little wind and that's pretty much it.

Probably what you were hearing, we got in Fairlee/Orford, storm hit right at the start of a cookout, of course. It rained very hard for 15 or so minutes and we had pea-size hail as well for a brief time, it dumped .44". From the sounds of the thunder we were on the Eastern part of the cell and that the Lake was getting it harder than us on rte 5.

Sunny skies & 77/39

Best summer ever.

Definitely! It got COLD last night... surprisingly cold. MVL only got down to 48F but I had 44F and a mesonet station here in the village at 900ft (just a bit higher than me) hit 43F around 5am.

This is what summer should be... sunshine, stiff breeze, 44F in the morning, rising to a high of 73F so far.

Anyone notice SLK hit 35F last night? Great radiational cooling last night.

Gonna be a cold one tonight and tomorrow night...

Looking at lows in the lower 40s in the village and low/mid 30s in the 2,000-4,000ft elevation band. I'm opening the Gondola the next two mornings and would love to see some frost on the grassy trails up there. At the very least I'm sure a hat and gloves will be needed on the dawn 4-wheeler trip to the summit. I'm looking forward to a couple nice crisp mornings up there.

Here's the gridpoint forecast for 2,500ft on Mansfield... same temps as the 3,300ft gridpoint.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 34. North wind between 6 and 10 mph.

Monday: Patchy frost before 7am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 67. North wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 37. North wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Tuesday: Increasing clouds, with a high near 68. North wind between 3 and 7 mph.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM MONDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 300 PM EDT SUNDAY...ONCE AGAIN TEMPS WL BE MAIN FOCUS

TONIGHT...ALONG WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR PATCHY FOG. WATER VAPOR

CONTS TO SHOW DEEP DRY SLOT ACRS THE NE CONUS...WITH SFC RIDGE OF

HIGH PRES. THIS WL PROVIDE FA WITH CLR SKIES TONIGHT...ALONG WITH

LIGHT WINDS...ALLOWING TEMPS TO QUICKLY FALL. MAV ONCE AGAIN AT

SLK SHOWS A 34F...WHICH LOOKS REASONABLE GIVEN LAST NIGHT LOW OF

35F. SFC DWPTS ARE VERY SIMILAR AND GRADIENT SHOULD WEAKEN

ALLOWING WINDS TO DECOUPLE. WL MENTION LOWS IN THE M/U 30S SLK/NEK

TO U40S BTV/CPV...WITH PATCHY FOG POSSIBLE IN THE DEEPER SHELTERED

VALLEYS.

Another crisp, mid-40s morning.

Wow... it's after 10pm and there is still a faint glow of sunlight visible along the horizon.

And then again at 4am in the other direction....and the cats notice too thinking it's time for me to get up and feed them. Go away, bad kitty! :arrowhead:

South_Park_WP___Cartman_Kitty.jpg

Got down to 48 here this AM. I was in Norway, Me this weekend and we got hit by the hail storm. 3/4" size was a real nasty 10 minutes. Hail covered the ground, but had melted overnight. I was driving up the camp road and as I came out of the woods it hit. I turned around and headed back to camp, food shopping had to wait!

Wow... it's after 10pm and there is still a faint glow of sunlight visible along the horizon.

I love this time of year.

Yeah its a stark contrast to the mid-winter days... its hard to handle sometimes but in December its quite common for me to go to work and have it be dark for the first 2 hours, then I get to see daylight on the mountain, and then its pitch black again when I leave the mountain. There was like a month last winter when I never saw what my house looked like in daylight, lol.

Plus at the mountain the sun sets on the upper east side of Mansfield around 10-11am in late November through December. You get a few hours of sunlight in the morning then it goes behind the ridge and that's it. You're in the flat winter light all afternoon. Gotta enjoy these long days.

Hit 44F at the house again this morning... looks like most stations were a degree or two warmer than yesterday morning. No frost on the upper mountain. Interesting temperatures this morning...

4,000ft... 51F (ridgeline in the wind)

3,700ft...41F (sheltered)

2,500ft...47F

1,500ft...43F

800ft...44F

Gonna be a cold one tonight and tomorrow night...

Looking at lows in the lower 40s in the village and low/mid 30s in the 2,000-4,000ft elevation band. I'm opening the Gondola the next two mornings and would love to see some frost on the grassy trails up there. At the very least I'm sure a hat and gloves will be needed on the dawn 4-wheeler trip to the summit. I'm looking forward to a couple nice crisp mornings up there.

Here's the gridpoint forecast for 2,500ft on Mansfield... same temps as the 3,300ft gridpoint.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 34. North wind between 6 and 10 mph.

Monday: Patchy frost before 7am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 67. North wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 37. North wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Tuesday: Increasing clouds, with a high near 68. North wind between 3 and 7 mph.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM MONDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 300 PM EDT SUNDAY...ONCE AGAIN TEMPS WL BE MAIN FOCUS

TONIGHT...ALONG WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR PATCHY FOG. WATER VAPOR

CONTS TO SHOW DEEP DRY SLOT ACRS THE NE CONUS...WITH SFC RIDGE OF

HIGH PRES. THIS WL PROVIDE FA WITH CLR SKIES TONIGHT...ALONG WITH

LIGHT WINDS...ALLOWING TEMPS TO QUICKLY FALL. MAV ONCE AGAIN AT

SLK SHOWS A 34F...WHICH LOOKS REASONABLE GIVEN LAST NIGHT LOW OF

35F. SFC DWPTS ARE VERY SIMILAR AND GRADIENT SHOULD WEAKEN

ALLOWING WINDS TO DECOUPLE. WL MENTION LOWS IN THE M/U 30S SLK/NEK

TO U40S BTV/CPV...WITH PATCHY FOG POSSIBLE IN THE DEEPER SHELTERED

VALLEYS.

I'm thinking KSLK hits 32. Just a guess. Gonna do wonders for bugs. Noting like a few cold nights to knock down the numbers over in the 'dacks.

Dropped to 39-40 IMBY this morning, after a nearly perfect summer Sunday, NW breezes G20s all day, high of 67, dews probably about 40. Not great for the garden, but I loved it.

Double-graze last Saturday (balky home computer frustrated a more timely post.) We had constant though not too frequest (8-10X/minute) thunder 4-6 PM, with NW winds dropping the temp from 75 to 60 4-4:20. Interesting roiling clouds overhead, with some broad scale counterclockwise rotation but nothing remotely like a wall cloud. Then 5 minutes of +RA 4:25-4:30 followed by dz/cloudy, then another 15 min of RA 5:05-5:20, and the loudest thunder coming after rain had ended. Total precip 0.24", bringing June up to almost exactly 1", about half the norm and rather puny considering there's been measurable rain on 11 (or 12, need to check) of 19 days.

Radar told the story, augmented by conversations yest and today. One cell came SE-ward thru central Franklin Cty, the 4:30 downpour, then a 2nd cell developed west of Farmington and headed east than SE-ward. One of my SS students, who lives 6 miles to my NW, saw considerable pea hail from cell #1 at her home; another who lives 6 miles to my WSW got caught outside in the pea-grape hail from #2. Co-workers from AUG and Readfield each reported substantial hail, 3/4" to 1".

Checked my 13+ yr notes for MBY, and found two days with "a bit of pea hail" (just enough to have seen ice) recorded (in '06 and '08) but 14 other days in which significant nearby (within 10 miles) hail was noted, sometimes with considerable areal extent. Not that I wish my garden destroyed or my woodlot messed up (a la August 2007 - trees are still dying from that one), but the near-certain svr-miss for MBY is not weenie-friendly.

Just watched the Solstice sunrise. It's been coming up over the hill here at just after 6am....

Just ace these mosquitos and I think we'd have the perfect past couple of days. Another good one tomorrow and also Wednesday, capped off with a Sea Dogs game and then hunker down and let the lawn & garden enjoy a few wet ones.

Yeah, a few mosquitos around here but they haven't been too bad. I've seen worse. Even the deer flies haven't been too bad this year or my nemesis insect species--the damned no-see-ems, for that matter. They're the ones I really loathe, the way they come right through the window screens on a hot summer night and eat me alive as I try to get some shut-eye.

And yep, looks like increasing chances of showers later in the week. No worries, the gardens will like it. I just planted a bed of asparagas for future years and they'll certainly appreciate a good soaking...

Just watched the Solstice sunrise. It's been coming up over the hill here at just after 6am....

Yeah, a few mosquitos around here but they haven't been too bad. I've seen worse. Even the deer flies haven't been too bad this year or my nemesis insect species--the damned no-see-ems, for that matter. They're the ones I really loathe, the way they come right through the window screens on a hot summer night and eat me alive as I try to get some shut-eye.

And yep, looks like increasing chances of showers later in the week. No worries, the gardens will like it. I just planted a bed of asparagas for future years and they'll certainly appreciate a good soaking...

The skeeters are only loathsome in early morning and then after 5:00pm or so ... which happens to coincide with my at-home hours during the workweek. Middle of the day is glorious, though. The other pita bugs haven't been a problem this year. Only about 10 weeks of potential summer heat left and then it's the cool slide to autumn. :thumbsup:

The skeeters are only loathsome in early morning and then after 5:00pm or so ... which happens to coincide with my at-home hours during the workweek. Middle of the day is glorious, though. The other pita bugs haven't been a problem this year. Only about 10 weeks of potential summer heat left and then it's the cool slide to autumn. :thumbsup:

Heck, I'm ready for the cool down now. It was 100 a few days ago in Philly and I forgot how oppressive the heat really is. Last summer was just BRUTAL and I can't wait to get up north and face some cooler weather. The idea of wearing a sweatshirt in July makes me smile.

Heck, I'm ready for the cool down now. It was 100 a few days ago in Philly and I forgot how oppressive the heat really is. Last summer was just BRUTAL and I can't wait to get up north and face some cooler weather. The idea of wearing a sweatshirt in July makes me smile.

I had Under Armor on this morning and a light jacket all day long... never saw it leave the 50s on the Gondi thermometer (highest I saw was 58F).

3,000 feet lower down here at home it looks like we hit 81F for a high after a low of 47F.

Absolutely beautiful day at the top with views to MWN over in the Whites.

While I love winter/skiing, there's something to be said for living with your windows open all day/all night and eating meals on the porch. wicked nice out.

finished 3 days of bike touring/camping around these parts, nice Mts, great views,good roads, to many people for this guy

302 view

IMG_2443.jpg

bear notch rd view

IMG_2440.jpg

On the homefront, trails are dry and fast

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

garlic scapes are popping, first round of radishes and lettuce inIMG_2445.jpg

4th straight morning in the 40s... low of 47F this morning. Spent about 6 hours in the 40s per the Emily's Bridge (in Stowe) wx station and that would explain why the apartment is so cold this morning.

This is about the time of the year when living outside the greater BTV area and Champain Valley in general is beneficial, especially at night. BTV never got lower than 56F last night it looks like... and spent most of the night around 60F... while the interior was in the 40s to near 50F.

Sun-Tues mornings were 46-41-47 IMBY, and this morning was in the 46-47 range, too, but looks like a regime change for the next 3-4 days. I hope this time we get some real precip; the last 3-day cloudy/cool stretch produced about 1/3", and the top few inches of soil are getting rather dry, with only 1" precip over the past 3 weeks. This while some nearby places have had multiple toad-strangler downpours this month.

Hmmm, the rain seems to be getting much closer, much quicker than expected today.

Might be wet ride home this afternoon....

Nice pics, Border--the gahden looks good.

True story. I had intentions of dropping some fertilizer upon my arrival home but I ain't doing it in a rain storm. Hopefully it holds off until 7:00ish.

Hmmm, the rain seems to be getting much closer, much quicker than expected today.

Might be wet ride home this afternoon....

Nice pics, Border--the gahden looks good.

thaks man.

great time of year. you can almost hear the plants growing.

its strawberry pickin season now. anyone have good excuses for a 2/12 year old covered in in strawberry smears to offer the farm?

True story. I had intentions of dropping some fertilizer upon my arrival home but I ain't doing it in a rain storm. Hopefully it holds off until 7:00ish.

Mother Nature takes requests. Sped home after putting in an honest 11 hours and got the fertilizer spread. First drops at 7:24. Nice soaking en route. 62/59

Win.

The 3-day rain with 50s earlier this month dropped only 0.35" IMBY, and I'm concerned that 3-day-yuck #2 will be similar. As of 7 this morning, I had 0.01" (Mt. Vernon, 10 mi S, reported 0.41" to cocorahs), which brings my June total to precisely 1.00", though radar suggests another couple cents since 7. My 13-yr avg for June is 5.25", though the median is a more reasonable 4.45". (6/98 and 6/09 had monster rain, skewing the avg.) Least rainy June was 2.17" in 2007, so 2011 is a contender unless some of that denser precip makes it here. It's taken 12 days with measurable RA this month to accumulate that 1.00". Kind of ironic having well above normal cloudiness with way subnormal rainfall.

No major stress on the garden yet, but past significant drought periods have usually started with MBY missing rain while the neighbors get plenty.

The rain arrives faster if you spend an hour or so watering the lawn

Or ride your motorcycle. :scooter:

Yeah, got pretty wet goin' home yesterday afternoon but it wasn't terrible. I've had worse, wet ride experiences, that's for sure.

Had 0.40" at the house but there were some pretty hefty totals to the south of here.... Pushing 2" in parts of SW NH.

More on the doorstep as I type.

Archived