12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spent all day in the clouds at 3,700ft... only brief 2 minute clear window where we could see the base of the mountain around 12pm and then more substantial clearing towards 4pm when the ceiling lifted up closer to 4,000ft. Most of the day the ceiling was around 3,500ft and our visibility was between 25 and 100 feet. It still amazes me just how dense the fog (err, cloud?) can be up there when it starts raining with a temp/Td of 60/60. You literally cannot see more than a few paces in front of you and its so thick its almost palpable.

Anyway, temperature all day ranged from 59-63F and we had a wind shift sometime late morning between 11am-12pm. It seemed to change from primarily SWly to NWly and became gusty at times with occasional sprinkles/drizzle. No thunder today up at the top of the mountain.

There is practically nothing on the radar but right by the field (BTV) there is a pretty persistent downpour with 1/4 inch hail and some frequent thunder. Must be extremely localized.

Nice! BTV came in with 0.49" of rainfall between 8:06pm and 8:31pm...from 8:10pm to 8:21pm KBTV picked up 0.32" in +TSRA... a rainfall rate of 1.75"/hr! Not too shabby for a pop-up shower and for an ASOS.

Nice! BTV came in with 0.49" of rainfall between 8:06pm and 8:31pm...from 8:10pm to 8:21pm KBTV picked up 0.32" in +TSRA... a rainfall rate of 1.75"/hr! Not too shabby for a pop-up shower and for an ASOS.

It was a classic downpour...not too much thunder or lightning - just like a faucet was turned on and then off. Pretty cool.

Got very sunny down here in the valley yesterday which I'm sure helped to prime the pump for downpours.

Looks like today is the last "not hot" day of the week. How did I manage to move and drag the Philly heat with me? Damnit.

I wonder if wind chill warnings will get posted. Even for NNE that is some pretty chilly stuff for Thurs- Fri.

Suppose they were wishcasting from Vostok?

About the 3rd consecutive "juicy" front that passed MBY w/o leaving anything; glad I got 2" July 1-10. Small TS formed just to my north about 5:30 PM yesterday and passed 2-3 miles to my east. By the time it got to Sidney, 20 mi to my SSE, it had considerable pea hail with a few marble-sized critters as well.

Morning dews here at AUG were mid 60s, now mid 50s, much preferred. We'll see if my sheltered (by a lilac bush) thermometer can approach 90 Thurs-Fri. My last 90+ was in June of 2005. (Only 14 days hit 90 IMBY 1998 on, 7 of them in 2002.)

from BTV's afternoon discussion, short range forecast for Thursday (my bold):

OUTSIDE OF THE CONVECTIVE THREAT, IT SHOULD BE HOT AND VERY HUMID. 850MB TEMPERATURES ARE INTO THE 20-22C LEVEL, WHICH HAS THE POTENTIAL TO SUPPORT TEMPERATURES CLOSE TO 100F IF THERE WAS A FULL AMOUNT OF SUN. HOWEVER, THINK THERE WILL BE ENOUGH CLOUDS AND THE SCATTERED CONVECTION AROUND TO KEEP HIGHS "ONLY" IN THE LOWER 90S. STILL, DEWPOINTS WILL BE IN THE LOWER 70S -- AND THIS WILL RESULT IN HEAT INDEX VALUES IN THE UPPER 90S TO AROUND 100F. JUST BELOW OUR HEAT ADVISORY CRITERIA, BUT STILL POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS. WILL BE HIGHLIGHTING THIS IN AN UPDATED HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK.

THURSDAY NIGHT -- I`LL SAY IT. MISERABLE. IT SHOULD BE EXACTLY LIKE A SUMMER NIGHT IN FLORIDA. LOWS IN THE LOWER-MID 70S AND HIGH HUMIDITY. THE INSECTS WILL PROBABLY LOVE IT.

It's great when forecasters, in this case NASH, add a bit of charm and character to the otherwise dry, technical forecast discussion. Now, if he had only said it was going to be MoFo Hot.... :P

It was a classic downpour...not too much thunder or lightning - just like a faucet was turned on and then off. Pretty cool.

Got very sunny down here in the valley yesterday which I'm sure helped to prime the pump for downpours.

Looks like today is the last "not hot" day of the week. How did I manage to move and drag the Philly heat with me? Damnit.

Looks like we found our scapegoat... we can blame you. Now if only you can bring some snowfall anomalies like PHL has seen in recent years. I'll take 200% snowfall this winter, thanks. I can't even think about 200% snowfall, lol... a nice 600-inch winter would be sweet on the mountain. Something like Jay Peak's 571" in 2000-2001 or Stowe/Smuggs 450-480" with a 140" March snowpack would suffice.

Got down near 50 last night IMBY - likely the last we'll see of that for a while. The smaller, hillside AUG snowdump had one tiny pile remaining this morning, so I'm calling today as its termination date. The broader pile under the bridge is probably still 5'+ high and should last another week, even with the torch. That's comparable to 2009 but about a month shy of the lifespan of the mega-dump of 2008.

Low of 55F this morning... looks to be the coldest temperature we see for quite some time. Looks like several days of 88-91F here, 90-94F in the CPV, and 85-89F up near the 1,500ft elevations. This will even be hot at 4,000ft. Due to the nature of the work and the rapidly changing weather, the ski resort radios we wear all day long are programmed to pick up the NOAA weather radio transmitted from the top of Mansfield on a dedicated channel, so quite often I'll just switch over to that and listen through the updated forecasts and observations... all day yesterday we were listening to the "higher summits" forecast and kept hearing highs in the mid to possibly upper (!) 70s which is as hot a forecast as I've ever heard for up there. Today its back down to "mid 70s" though.

Need to head to 4K feet for relief... actually the immediate shore of Lake Champlain might be the coolest spot around. I remember many 90F+ days last summer heading to Oak Ledge, Red Rocks, or North Beach (which is a circus of humanity) and having it feel almost 20F cooler within 500 feet of the water than it did at my girlfriend's place in downtown.

from BTV's afternoon discussion, short range forecast for Thursday (my bold):

It's great when forecasters, in this case NASH, add a bit of charm and character to the otherwise dry, technical forecast discussion. Now, if he had only said it was going to be MoFo Hot.... :P

Haha, they've had some good ones lately... a lot more personal AFDs that I hope carries over to the winter. They had one a couple weeks back that was something like, "This is the type of weather that makes me want to be outside enjoying our local recreational opportunities instead of inside here at WFO BTV making forecasts under florescent lighting."

I also know that some of them are skiers (I'm pretty sure Peter Banacos is) as you'll see them reference the ski areas and the upslope peaks like Mansfield and Jay quite often. I really like the NWS guys and gals we have at BTV. You can tell these folks live for this stuff as I'll shoot emails back and forth with them with my Mansfield snow observations and although it has very little to do with where the public actually lives, they seem extremely enthralled with what happens up here. I've also gotten emails from them at work at Stowe wondering at what elevation the rain/snow line is on the mountain or how much snow has fallen at different elevation bands...especially if it is at 2,000ft or above and they have no spotters that live in those elevations. They are weenies just like the rest of us.

Got down near 50 last night IMBY - likely the last we'll see of that for a while. The smaller, hillside AUG snowdump had one tiny pile remaining this morning, so I'm calling today as its termination date. The broader pile under the bridge is probably still 5'+ high and should last another week, even with the torch. That's comparable to 2009 but about a month shy of the lifespan of the mega-dump of 2008.

I was going to ask you about the snowdump status. Amazing stuff.

78/50 at PWM, though the winds turning to the south will bring the comfy wx to a crashing halt shortly.

holy crap, I had to re-read your snowdump part a couple times and check the date to see if this post was a couple months old. That's impressive there's still snow kicking around. Where abouts in aug is the dump?

I was going to ask you about the snowdump status. Amazing stuff.

Yeah I am in awe of this "snow dump".... puts Mount Mansfield and even Mount Washington to shame! haha. I think next year I'm going to ask Mountain Operations to make a "Mansfield Snow Dump" somewhere in the 3,000-4,000ft elevation band. Seeing as natural (albeit drifted) snow lasted till July 4th this season, I'd love to know how long an 80 foot pile in the shade would make it up there, lol.

Tamarack, you gotta get a photo on one of the last days of the 5 foot pile this season...

Currently up to 84.5F (85F) and ties my highest July temp so far. I figure we should be able to get to 86F (maybe 87?) or so today, making it the hottest day of July (until tomorrow).

Looks like we found our scapegoat... we can blame you. Now if only you can bring some snowfall anomalies like PHL has seen in recent years. I'll take 200% snowfall this winter, thanks. I can't even think about 200% snowfall, lol... a nice 600-inch winter would be sweet on the mountain. Something like Jay Peak's 571" in 2000-2001 or Stowe/Smuggs 450-480" with a 140" March snowpack would suffice.

I'll do my best. Racking up Karma points. Just got a very nasty high ankle sprain yesterday. No hiking for a least a month if not much longer. Ortho follow up in 10 days to see if surgical intervention required....Soooooo add a bar exam to that and I think I'll be owed 200 percent snowfall.

I'll do my best. Racking up Karma points. Just got a very nasty high ankle sprain yesterday. No hiking for a least a month if not much longer. Ortho follow up in 10 days to see if surgical intervention required....Soooooo add a bar exam to that and I think I'll be owed 200 percent snowfall.

Bummer dude. And good luck on the VT Bar Exam.

This won't make anyone feel any better... BTV's "apparent temperature" projection for tomorrow. Yikes.

holy crap, I had to re-read your snowdump part a couple times and check the date to see if this post was a couple months old. That's impressive there's still snow kicking around. Where abouts in aug is the dump?

My usual workplace is the state's eastside office complex, and the smaller snowdump lies just below the parking lot nearest the river, the one next to Riverview Hospital (replaced the old AMHI fortresses.) That one gets some city snow but is mainly built within-complex. AUG's main snowdump is located next to the river and under the east end of the farthest downstream of the three bridges, the one with rotaries at each end. This one has the advantage of flat ground and some shade late in the day. It;s the one that lasted until 8/25 in 2008.

Tamarack, you gotta get a photo on one of the last days of the 5 foot pile this season...

I'll try to remember the camera Friday (mtg in BGR tomorrow), but the beast looks like a wet dirtpile. PF's high elev residual snowpiles were much more "snowy" looking. However, a humid morning may result in some fog between pile and hillside, which would be cool (pun intended) to capture.

those are nasty, at least you can still float an inner tube down river or at the lake. cryotherapy at its best.

nice pic Allenson - pretty much covers it. riding to work this morning you could really appreciate the variable cold and warm spots through the woods and by the lake - bizarro world from fall when those same cold spots hold the heat - love livin in the woods thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

89F today with steady wind and gusts that would blow you off the bike if not careful.

2" of rain tomorrow? that should be fun to watch if it materializes

Any thoughts about a nice MCS getting into N/C NE tomorrow night? I have only had 1' QPF the past month and this heat will do in the lawn. Would be nice to get something this far south tomorrow night but not getting my hopes up.

Looks like ME has something tonight. Wonder if that will end up more west tomorrow.

The temp is going the wrong way tonight. Up to 76F now after dipping to 74F at 9pm thanks to an increasing S-SW wind around 10mph. The highest temp I've recorded here since June 2006 is 93.4F on July 7 of last year. The Euro and Ukie say I likely beat that on Friday with ~95F while the cities in S NH bake to 100F. The NCEP models still want to bring a mid-level thermal boundary through here on Friday instead of the gradientless trough (quasi dryline...whatever you want to call it) that the EC has.

Hopefully we decouple a bit at some point tonight so that the lows can dip below 70F to cool things off. Otherwise I won't be receiving much sleep.

The temp is going the wrong way tonight. Up to 76F now after dipping to 74F at 9pm thanks to an increasing S-SW wind around 10mph. The highest temp I've recorded here since June 2006 is 93.4F on July 7 of last year. The Euro and Ukie say I likely beat that on Friday with ~95F while the cities in S NH bake to 100F. The NCEP models still want to bring a mid-level thermal boundary through here on Friday instead of the gradientless trough (quasi dryline...whatever you want to call it) that the EC has.

Hopefully we decouple a bit at some point tonight so that the lows can dip below 70F to cool things off. Otherwise I won't be receiving much sleep.

ummm, why aren't you going to the conference?

Archived