• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

Many .25" diameter twigs on the ground after yesterday's storm ... nothing like what Gene had over in NH. Still, there was a pretty good gust that came through just after I got the kids and the groceries inside. Looks to be around an inch of rain fell since yesterday afternoon and currently under a flood advisory, though there wasn't any issues on my commute this morning.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My poor hemlock. It is still blocking the road and 5 houses at the dead end. The rentors still have no power or water 7 hours later. Just brought them down ice. Has been raining pretty good with the second storm this eve. Looks like around .4" so far

ouch.

Good luck wxeyeNH! I know the feeling all too well.

Never had much wind here--a few gusts with that initial line that came through but after that, just rain, rain and more rain.

The first swath gave us 0.5" all in about a half-hour's time. Round two gave us 1.3" of steady, but heavy at times, rain.

Easy math for a 1.80" 24 hour total. Not too shabby.

2.34" in the gauge this morning. I got home from Mass about 9:30 right at the height of the what sounds like second round of rain and storms. Drive up was uneventful with just lightning and some light rain till Lebanon, once we turned north on to 91 the skies opened up, with some very bright flashes. Was like driving in a river, sure glad I put new sneakers on my rig about a week ago :). Sounds like first storm had more wind, as I saw there was a fire call for wires sparking around 4pm.

Had a whole 0.05" in the first "storm" 5:30-6:30 PM yest, though there was enough wind (30 mph) at 6:30 to knock down a few twigs and reset the microwave clock . The svr watch expired at 10 PM with no further action, but 10:30 saw a noisy TS (one shot 0.4 mi away, closest in 2 yr) with some +RA. Further mod-hvy rain about 2 and again 4 AM made for an event total of 1.14", and a 2nd micro-clock stoppage about 2:30. I've had 2.6" since last Mon morning, and the 3.5" for August is a bit above normal, though JJA is still running a bit below. No garden moisture concerns for a while, though, and if we get the deluge currently progged from Irene (maybe 5% chance of verifying, IMO) no such worries until next year's garden. Trivia: Just eating the last overwintered carrot from last year. Still tasty and crisp, but I held them in the fridge too long after digging them mid April, as about 1/4 were lost to rot over the past month. Sad.

Down to 63.9F from a high of 72.7F and we're still a few minutes from 7pm. 18z MAV has 47F for CON and 50F for LCI. That would probably put me around 49F. Hopefully we break the monotony of 50s/60s lows.

BTW...Scott, I have an elephant ear right now that is about twice the size of the others you saw last time. I think the rains are helping. :lol:

Down to 63.9F from a high of 72.7F and we're still a few minutes from 7pm. 18z MAV has 47F for CON and 50F for LCI. That would probably put me around 49F. Hopefully we break the monotony of 50s/60s lows.

BTW...Scott, I have an elephant ear right now that is about twice the size of the others you saw last time. I think the rains are helping. :lol:

Excellent. Mine are really getting big now too.

Down to a frigid 61.8 here.

High of 71.5F down in town... currently down to 57F already. Should have no problem hitting the 40s if things continue to clear out a bit.

Wow was it a chilly day on the mountain though... wish I wore gloves on my morning commute to 3,700ft. It was 44F up there at 7:30am with stiff WNW wind (25G40) and my hands were frozen from gripping the throttle. We did manage to get into the 50s though by the afternoon... going to be another cold morning up there tomorrow though.

Gonna be a cold night tonight if its 8pm and there's already widespread mid-upper 50s in the area.

44-45 this AM, after yesterday's high of 71, only 10-11F above the morning low. Mid-aft was upper 60s. Love it.

Don't love the 06z gfs, with 8" RA Sun-Mon. First time since May that my garden is fully watered, so I guess that means a drenching is in order. Stand back from the exploding tomatoes!

Foliage is starting to change in the higher elevations... definitely noticed a difference up above 2,500ft (especially 3,000ft to the treeline near 4,000ft) from last week. Its subtle but its happening. I'll try to post some pictures later.

Yep, colors are a-comin', Powder--even a little bit here and there around the house.

But then again, so might be a 'cane. :whistle:

graphic_floyd.jpg

Wait - there's a storm coming?

So I hear. ;)

Floyd was the last one that nailed this area pretty good. I was just reading up on Floyd some and came across this nice old GYX radar loop:

http://upload.wikime...r_animation.gif

That was a doozy of a storm around here. I was living at the south end of Lake Morey, Fairlee, VT in those days. The steep hills on the east and west sides of Lake Morey make for a natural funnel and being in Floyd's NW quadrant, the winds were really ripping down the lake from the NNE. I grew up on that lake and have yet to see it anywhere near as rough as it was that day.

The next day, there were boats, docks, trees and lots of other flotsam floating around out there and a fair bit washed up on the shore at my family's place, taking the winds on the chin as we did.

Strange that BTV hasn't updated the longterm of their AFD this afternoon. Anyway, here's what they had to say at 4am this morning:

WE COULD BE LOOKING AT 1-2" ACROSS THE VT CHAMPLAIN VALLEY...AND

UPWARDS OF 3-4" ACROSS EASTERN PORTIONS OF VERMONT FROM SUNDAY

THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT WITH SOME FLOODING CONCERNS ARISING. WINDS

WILL ALSO CERTAINLY BE A FACTOR AS WELL WITH LIKELY THE STRONGEST

WINDS ACROSS EAST/SOUTHEAST VERMONT WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR

SUSTAINED 30KTS AND GUSTS UPWARDS OF 40KTS. AS THE SYSTEM PASSES

GUSTY NORTH TO NORTHEASTERLY WINDS ARE ALSO LOOKING MORE AND MORE

LIKELY AS WELL...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY WHERE

LOCAL CHANNELING EFFECTS WILL DEVELOP. SIGNALS ARE POINTING TO A

SIMILAR OUTCOME TO HURRICANE FLOYD IN 1999 WHERE 40KTS OF WIND ON

LAKE CHAMPLAIN DAMAGED MANY WATER CRAFT. PERSONS WITH INTERESTS

ALONG LAKE CHAMPLAIN AND NEARBY WATERWAYS SHOULD PAY CLOSE

ATTENTION TO WIND FORECASTS OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS...AND BE

PREPARED TO TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTIONS TO SECURE THEIR VESSELS.

Foliage is starting to change in the higher elevations... definitely noticed a difference up above 2,500ft (especially 3,000ft to the tree line near 4,000ft) from last week. It’s subtle but it’s happening. I'll try to post some pictures later.

We saw the same thing up at Bolton on Monday – up in the 2,500’ to 3,500’ range. There’s a real preponderance of evergreens up at those elevations on many aspects, but the areas of deciduous trees were starting to stand out as the tone of their leaves were obviously becoming muted. I didn’t get any pictures, but I might be back up on the mountain on Saturday for a work day, so I’ll try to bring along the camera.

We saw the same thing up at Bolton on Monday – up in the 2,500’ to 3,500’ range. There’s a real preponderance of evergreens up at those elevations on many aspects, but the areas of deciduous trees were starting to stand out as the tone of their leaves were obviously becoming muted. I didn’t get any pictures, but I might be back up on the mountain on Saturday for a work day, so I’ll try to bring along the camera.

Its subtle but definitely beginning to be more than just a couple stressed trees... the start of the foliage season is here. It should change fairly rapidly between now and the end of the first week in September. Its always fun to watch the leaf-change line work its way down the mountain and eventually into the valleys.

So latest moves places Irene in a very similar position to floyd and gives the ADK a real soaking. If that's the case...who wants to take best on whether we get some new slides over there? Floyd created the massive 1999 slide on Colden (left side of trail as you head to avalanche pass)

WOuld be fascinating for sure.

Red maples coloring nicely in the swamps, as is usual for late August, and some other non-swamp areas have birches and maples with a bit of yellowing in the green.

Overnight westerly shift in Irene prediction has cut our progged precip in half, to "only" 3" (fine by me.) Gfs 06z has heaviest qpf axis now NYC-ALB-BTV, with 6-8". Plenty of time still for further changes. The Floyd comparisons are interesting. We got 5" with wind gusts 45+ from that one, though little damage or flooding.

If this trend continues I'm going to laugh so hard at TWC. All week they've been pimpin' how this storm is going to slam NE and the northeast. They been comparing it to the cane of 38. They have had their meteorologists and "experts" get on tv and say how this is the most "serious weather threat" many of us have ever seen in our lifetime. All 5 days before the time is supposed to impact us.

In CT our local media has done an EXCELLENT job. Particularly Fox 61 and NBC 30. They are doing a wonderful job stressing the seriousness of the situation without being irresponsible in overdoing the threat.

So latest moves places Irene in a very similar position to floyd and gives the ADK a real soaking. If that's the case...who wants to take best on whether we get some new slides over there? Floyd created the massive 1999 slide on Colden (left side of trail as you head to avalanche pass)

WOuld be fascinating for sure.

Dude this is going to be some huge rain if the recent models are anywhere near correct.

Do you know anything about hurricanes and wind at elevation? I would imagine tropical cyclones have no problem mixing H85 wind to the surface? Looking at data for MPV and BTV the strongest winds are right in the H95-H8 area so the 2,000-4,000ft elevations could get crushed with sustained 50kts, gusting to 70kts. I'm impressed with the GFS wind data for MPV... showing only 30-40kts max right at the surface (still pretty decent wind with foliage on trees) but it quickly increases to over 50kts just off the deck.

SMR needs to secure all construction equipment on the summit Friday afternoon and hope for the best over the weekend... they're gonna find tarps and other loose objects over in the Worcester Range if some of the wind progs are right up at 3,600ft.

Dude this is going to be some huge rain if the recent models are anywhere near correct.

Do you know anything about hurricanes and wind at elevation? I would imagine tropical cyclones have no problem mixing H85 wind to the surface? Looking at data for MPV and BTV the strongest winds are right in the H95-H8 area so the 2,000-4,000ft elevations could get crushed with sustained 50kts, gusting to 70kts. I'm impressed with the GFS wind data for MPV... showing only 30-40kts max right at the surface (still pretty decent wind with foliage on trees) but it quickly increases to over 50kts just off the deck.

SMR needs to secure all construction equipment on the summit Friday afternoon and hope for the best over the weekend... they're gonna find tarps and other loose objects over in the Worcester Range if some of the wind progs are right up at 3,600ft.

Well the modeling data for hurricanes really is focused on that 10m/35m wind...that's the wind that causes damage in flat coastal areas. I'm sure it WHIPS at 850mb. The profile I looked this AM had a period of wild winds 50knts. I'm sure if we get a track that's decently close some summits will be hitting the 70-90 knts for gusts. Personally I'd love to be up on MTW for this one (in a building of course).

Stowe Mountain Resort operations staff is beginning to prepare today. My Monday morning ATV ride up the work road to the top of the Gondola should be very interesting after a night of 50G70 and 3-6" of rainfall.

From the Mountain Operations Coordinator..."We’re checking culverts and stream beds today, and will batten down the hatches before leaving for the weekend. We’re also bringing in some staff on Sunday to keep an eye on things. Should be fun times!"

A little bit nervous about Irene. We had a VAST meeting Tuesday night to talk about snowmonile trail damage from flooding back in May. There is an estimates half million dollars worth of repairs needed in Washington County alone. We don't need really heavy rain causing more washouts.

I know Irene isn't as strong as 1938 but I don't want that track. 1938 and the flood of 1927 are the two big weather events that I remember hearing old timers talk about when I was growing up, I don't want to see a reapeat right now.

Archived