amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For anyone in VT who can pick it up, WDEV radio has been doing a great job keeping updates going out with a lot of reports from around the area being called in by listeners.

WDEV did a fantastic job, and they had Roger Hill in the studio as well discussing the meteorology. We lost power around 8:30 P.M. last night and WDEV went to static at the same time. They came back about 10 minutes later on generator, and said that a substation had to be shut down. We didn’t get a ton of rain here on a relative scale, the total was 4.42”, but all that mountain water pouring down into the Winooski raised water levels even higher than they were this spring. The highest water I saw in the spring was roughly level with the base of our local VAST snowmobile bridge, but this time it was higher than that, it was several feet up the towers. Those residences on Route 2 between the bridge and the Cider House that typically have issues with high water were hit pretty hard as one would expect. However, the water was actually high enough to flood most houses on both sides of Route 2 all the way from the VAST bridge through until the elevation rise near Little River Road that leads to the State Park. We actually couldn’t go anywhere this morning because Route 2 was also flooded in the other direction (it looked like both Bolton and Jonesville had issues based on the high water marks we saw). I-89 through the Winooski Valley seemed to be in good shape throughout, and once the water near the Cider House had receded we had good access to Burlington. The area below I-89 Exit 11 also had some issues; around midday today we saw that the Mobil station there was flooded with a couple feet of water, and the park and ride area seemed to have a similar depth. You’d never know much of anything happened in the Burlington area though, it seemed to be business as usual today except that UVM was officially closed so most people stayed home. I added a few pictures from the day below. The water level was already down at least a couple of feet in our area when I took my photos around 7:00 A.M., but they provide a general sense of the scene:

29AUG11A.jpg

29AUG11B.jpg

29AUG11C.jpg

29AUG11D.jpg

29AUG11E.jpg

Technically this isn't related to NNE but I know a lot of you use the High Peaks. Well they are hammered. Reports are many new slides came down, the duck hole dam breached and the pond is draining. The bridge over marcy dam washed out. YOu can't get to the ADK loj or the Garden. Rte. 73 in St. Huberts has been washed out. There is extensive blowdown on many trails and the trails in/around lake colden are washed out. the MVH trail to marcy according to a ranger is 2-3 feet LOWER than it was last week. THe DEC has closed the eastern high peaks, Dix and Giant wilderness until further notice.

If anybody is interested in trail work I have some contact info. Its going to take a long time to get all this opened again.

looks very similar to what we saw up here and it sounds like most of the state had varying degrees of that type of flash flooding. The river here is already way down and not far from being back to normal, haha. Amazing how quickly the response and following recede is in the mountains.

No doubt. I went through the very same areas the next morning and the brooks, though still high, rolling and churning along were back in their banks and happily on their way to the Connecticut. Driving home after work yesterday, it almost looked as if nothing had happened. Luckily, there doesn't seem to be any building damage around here and after seeing pics and video from other parts of VT, I feel pretty lucky that we escaped the way we did.

A chilly 46F this morning.

Jayhawk, get some powah man and enjoy the pizza. :whistle:

Spin--cool pics. Some serious tires in that debris and I like the one of the gal in her muck boots. Classic Vermont right there, lol. I can pick up WDEV here and yep, they're a good station of local info...

Excellent pics from Vermont. We got off a bit easier in Maine, with VT-type damage in only a few places, also still 90K folks w/o power this morning, mostly York and Cumberland Ctys - S.Maine had much the stronger winds. People at Sugarloaf now able to depart to the south via a private back road, but the S. Branch Carrabasset bridge has no go-around route, so residents of Stratton and points north have to detour thru Rangeley. That branch of the Carrabasset runs alongside the famous 'Loaf golf course, which is being heavily advertised on local TV; since they're reporting 8" rain from the storm and the river went nuts, I'd expect a few holes to have taken serious damage.

Mid-upper 40s at my place this morning. Today my 13-yr avg minimum drops below 50. Recent gfs runs offer a slight chance for frost next week, though I think mid to upper 30s is as low as it will get then. Then there's Katia...

The highest water I saw in the spring was roughly level with the base of our local VAST snowmobile bridge, but this time it was higher than that, it was several feet up the towers. Those residences on Route 2 between the bridge and the Cider House that typically have issues with high water were hit pretty hard as one would expect. However, the water was actually high enough to flood most houses on both sides of Route 2 all the way from the VAST bridge through until the elevation rise near Little River Road that leads to the State Park. We actually couldn’t go anywhere this morning because Route 2 was also flooded in the other direction (it looked like both Bolton and Jonesville had issues based on the high water marks we saw). I-89 through the Winooski Valley seemed to be in good shape throughout, and once the water near the Cider House had receded we had good access to Burlington. The area below I-89 Exit 11 also had some issues; around midday today we saw that the Mobil station there was flooded with a couple feet of water, and the park and ride area seemed to have a similar depth. You’d never know much of anything happened in the Burlington area though, it seemed to be business as usual today except that UVM was officially closed so most people stayed home. I added a few pictures from the day below. The water level was already down at least a couple of feet in our area when I took my photos around 7:00 A.M., but they provide a general sense of the scene:

Holy effin sh*t!! Knowing that area very well from my time living in Jonesville and traveling RT 2 daily, that is absolutely amazing. That is by far the highest I've ever seen that river (based on your pics) in my 8 years of living between Burlington, Jonesville, and Stowe. Wow that is absolutely nuts. I heard our old house in Jonesville flooded out, too, which is simply amazing to me seeing as that is way back from the river (across RT 2 on Jones Mill Road near those horses + across from the Harley Davidson shop).

I'm speechless... that Vast Bridge is like 15-20 feet above the water normally. Also, to flood that Mobil station at Exit 11 is incredible.

Thanks for the pics, J.Spin... that's an epic flood event right there; crazy stuff. I've seen the water get up near RT 2, and even go into the yards across RT 2 from backed up storm drains, but the road is raised several feet up to avoid this type of flooding. The fact that the water actually made it up and over the actual road is ridiculous!

A chilly 46F this morning.

Spin--cool pics. Some serious tires in that debris and I like the one of the gal in her muck boots. Classic Vermont right there, lol. I can pick up WDEV here and yep, they're a good station of local info...

47F at my place this morning... high this afternoon was 76F. I saw Emily's Bridge in Stowe (950ft) hit 45F which is a nice chilly morning for late August. Beautiful day except for the shower that moved through around 6pm.

I still can't believe those pics from J.Spin... I know exactly where those shots are from and I never thought the water could get *that* high. That's scary high.

Still no power as of 7 this morning, but I have high hopes that CMP will deliver the goods today. Many others have it worse than I do so I won't complain about this minor inconvenience. Thankfully the weather is cooperating wrt temperature.

That's a decent power disruption... you are going on two full days now right? hopefully it comes back soon.

Making great progress. All water and most of mud is out of the basement. A 4 inch pump is mesmerizing. Power is back on Built a wall to support the house where the foundation is missing. House has a slight sag, but should be able to save it. Going to keep the basement floor damp for another day so that we are moving mud instead of dust.

Dumpster arrives tomorrow. Still no sign of the insurance adjuster. No flood insurance, going to try to argue the the flood in the basement was caused by a structural failure of the foundation.

Ibuprofen is my new best friend. And if you are ever visiting Stowe, please stay at the Stowe Hof. The owners dropped of cases of wine and beer and tons of cleaning supplies.

That's a decent power disruption... you are going on two full days now right? hopefully it comes back soon.

I was going on two full days and have now exceeded it. lol Still in the dark as of 3AM, entering hour 62. The December 2008 ice storm resulted in a 100 hour power loss ... I'm beginning to wonder if this may be its equal.

I was going on two full days and have now exceeded it. lol Still in the dark as of 3AM, entering hour 62. The December 2008 ice storm resulted in a 100 hour power loss ... I'm beginning to wonder if this may be its equal.

that's crazy. Do you live on a back camp road? I still find it amazing how many outages there were and still are given the wind wasn't really that bad. Can't imagine if we were hit with 70mph winds. CMP states they were prepared going into this, but I wonder about that a little. Good thing were not in the dead of winter.

that's crazy. Do you live on a back camp road? I still find it amazing how many outages there were and still are given the wind wasn't really that bad. Can't imagine if we were hit with 70mph winds. CMP states they were prepared going into this, but I wonder about that a little. Good thing were not in the dead of winter.

It's a sparsely populated road in the middle of BFE. Jo Joy is the name if you wanna Google it. Heard there's still 60K in Maine that are going by candlelight.

It's a sparsely populated road in the middle of BFE. Jo Joy is the name if you wanna Google it. Heard there's still 60K in Maine that are going by candlelight.

Also on DeLorme, near the bottom of Map 4, above the zero on the scale. So you barely hopped across the line from Waterboro. That outage length is crazy; we only lost it for 90 hr during the 1998 ice storm, which probably caused more damage to lines/poles and to trees, by factors of 10 and 100, respectively. Of course, CMP cannot call in the cavalry, because they're all fighting battles in their own states.

PF, that's a wild pic of the Loon Mt bridge. Upper Pemi had a bit of water.

BTV's final rainfall tally from across their County Warning Area... some big numbers in there for a rainfall event of 24 hours or less.

Their map is below the listing. On thing of note in this area... I've always felt the ASOS at Morrisville-Stowe Airport (MVL) under-reports precipitation. It is situated just over the Stowe town line in Morrisville, so maybe they do just get that less precipitation than we do in Stowe, but that thing is always lower (sometimes a lot lower) than pretty much every other surrounding station. This event is a good example... there are 5 reports from the town of Stowe (Lamoille County) other than Mount Mansfield summit observation, and all 5 of those are pretty much within a half-inch of each other (5.12"-5.69"). The MVL ASOS had 3.59", the lowest report in the county. Even the other Morrisville observation was a full inch higher than the ASOS.

Does anyone know if it is routine for an ASOS to under-report precipitation during windy rainstorms?

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
305 PM EDT TUE AUG 30 2011

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING HURRICANE 
IRENE. APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE AND
COCORAHS OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS.
THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT 
WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON

********************STORM TOTAL RAINFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL 	TIME/DATE   COMMENTS               	
                	RAINFALL       	OF 
                	/INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CLINTON COUNTY...
  2 NW PERU         	5.73   226 PM  8/29  RAWS                    
  2 E CHAZY         	5.45   204 PM  8/29  NEPP                    
  1 SE ELLENBURG DEPOT  5.21  1044 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  3 S PLATTSBURGH   	3.73  1121 AM  8/29  ASOS                    

...ESSEX COUNTY...
  WHITEFACE MOUNTAIN    7.55   906 AM  8/29  2000FT ELEV.            
  1 NE MOUNT VAN HOEVE  6.14   219 PM  8/29  RAWS                    
  MOUNT VAN HOEVENBERG  5.93  1204 AM  8/29                          
  1 N LAKE PLACID   	5.32  1148 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  MORIAH                4.96  1106 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  1 S LAKE PLACID   	4.49  1105 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  2 NNE SCHROON LAKE    3.66   227 PM  8/29  RAWS                    

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
  VERMONTVILLE          4.10  1030 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER     	
  ONCHIOTA              3.46  1148 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  2 E TUPPER LAKE   	3.04  1105 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  1 WSW MALONE          2.79  1050 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  2 ENE LAKE CLEAR      2.67  1121 AM  8/29  ASOS                    
  1 ESE TUPPER LAKE 	2.55  1117 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  MALONE                2.28   702 PM  8/28                          

...ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY...
  STAR LAKE         	1.81  1117 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  3 NE BRASHER FALLS    1.69   201 PM  8/29  RAWS                    
  POTSDAM           	1.68   800 AM  8/29  PUBLIC                  
  HANNAWA FALLS     	1.66  1149 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  1 WSW POTSDAM     	1.58  1116 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  3 NNE POTSDAM     	1.55  1107 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  1 NW EDWARDS          1.47  1149 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  HEUVELTON         	1.16   616 AM  8/29                          
  3 WNW GOUVERNEUR      1.08  1045 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  2 ENE MASSENA     	1.02  1122 AM  8/29  ASOS                    
  1 SSW MADRID          0.95  1106 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  2 NE OGDENSBURG   	0.94  1058 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  2 SW OGDENSBURG   	0.54  1150 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                

VERMONT

...ADDISON COUNTY...
  2 E SOUTH LINCOLN 	8.15   213 PM  8/29  AUTOMATED GAGE          
  1 ESE VERGENNES   	6.44  1108 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  SOUTH LINCOLN     	6.35  1059 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  3 NNE SOUTH STARKSBO  6.14  1057 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  VERGENNES         	5.70  1109 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  ORWELL                5.60   652 AM  8/29                          
  1 ENE LINCOLN     	5.38   202 PM  8/29  AUTOMATED GAGE          
  1 WNW ORWELL          4.78  1122 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  2 NW LINCOLN          4.68  1122 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  1 E RIPTON            4.60   225 PM  8/29  AUTOMATED GAGE          
  1 NE EAST MIDDLEBURY  4.15   216 PM  8/29  NEPP                    
  1 E ADDISON       	3.66  1036 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  3 WNW NEW HAVEN   	3.58   221 PM  8/29  USGS                    
  1 N FERRISBURGH   	3.40  1044 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  1 W MIDDLEBURY        3.21  1050 AM  8/29  MESONET             	

...CALEDONIA COUNTY...
  4 WSW GROTON          7.72  1123 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  4 N WALDEN            5.66  1107 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  2 E EAST LYNDON   	5.50   804 PM  8/28                          
  3 NNW SHEFFIELD   	5.19  1123 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  2 S WHEELOCK          5.12  1114 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  2 E DANVILLE          5.04  1124 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  HARDWICK              4.92  1125 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  2 SW SUTTON       	4.67  1104 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  1 SW PASSUMPSIC   	4.61   224 PM  8/29  USGS                    
  1 SSW ST. JOHNSBURY   4.60   801 PM  8/28  ASOS STORM TOTAL        
  1 NW STANNARD     	4.57  1124 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  2 N SUTTON            4.12  1104 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  2 SE EAST BURKE   	3.87   203 PM  8/29  UTILITY             	

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...
  1 E HUNTINGTON        5.44  1114 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  3 SSE RICHMOND        4.87  1128 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  4 NNE UNDERHILL   	4.86  1126 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  1 SSE HANKSVILLE      4.57  1047 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  2 NNE SHELBURNE   	4.41   227 PM  8/29  USGS                    
  2 NW WESTFORD     	4.22   917 AM  8/29  NWS EMPLOYEE            
  1 ESE NASHVILLE   	4.21   600 AM  8/29  NWS EMPLOYEE            
  3 NE CHARLOTTE        3.99  1126 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  1 WNW WILLISTON   	3.95  1112 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  1 E WINOOSKI          3.75   203 PM  8/29  UTILITY             	
  1 N ESSEX JUNCTION    3.74   212 PM  8/29  RAWS                    
  1 E SOUTH BURLINGTON  3.38  1120 AM  8/29  ASOS                    
  1 NE SOUTH BURLINGTO  3.38   610 AM  8/29  NWS OFFICE              
  1 NW BURLINGTON   	3.22  1127 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                

...ESSEX COUNTY...
  1 WNW EAST BRIGHTON   5.02   214 PM  8/29  NEPP                    
  1 NW GRANBY       	4.88  1129 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  GALLUP MILLS          4.00   213 PM  8/29  NEPP                    
  4 WNW BLOOMFIELD      3.32   221 PM  8/29  RAWS                    

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
  2 NNE EAST BERKSHIRE  5.25   209 PM  8/29  USGS                    
  3 N ST. ALBANS        4.98  1040 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  1 WNW NORTH FAIRFAX   3.96  1129 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  FAIRFIELD         	3.94   212 PM  8/29  USGS                    
  4 NW GEORGIA          3.87  1047 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  1 SSW HIGHGATE FALLS  3.70   214 PM  8/29  USGS                    

...GRAND ISLE COUNTY...
  NORTH HERO            4.51   913 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER     	
  S ALBURGH         	4.40   907 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER     	
  SOUTH HERO            4.37   911 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER     	

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...
  3 SSE JEFFERSONVILLE  7.76  1049 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  MOUNT MANSFIELD   	6.84  1123 AM  8/29  CO-OP OBSERVER          
  CAMBRIDGE         	5.72  1203 AM  8/29                          
  3 SSE STOWE       	5.69  1132 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  2 S STOWE         	5.66  1057 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  4 NW STOWE            5.53  1104 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  STOWE             	5.43  1131 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  1 SSE ELMORE          5.26  1138 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  6 NW STOWE            5.12  1106 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  1 S MOSCOW            4.70   520 PM  8/28                          
  1 SW MORRISVILLE      4.57  1131 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  2 S EDEN              4.22  1042 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  EDEN                  4.22   914 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER     	
  3 NE HYDE PARK        3.99  1138 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  2 SSW MORRISVILLE 	3.59  1121 AM  8/29  ASOS                    

...ORANGE COUNTY...
  EAST ORANGE       	7.40   211 PM  8/29  USGS                    
  RANDOLPH CENTER   	7.28   805 PM  8/28  TRAINED SPOTTER     	
  STRAFFORD         	6.99   722 AM  8/29                          
  2 E CORINTH CORNERS   6.79  1040 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  1 NNE RANDOLPH        5.53   225 PM  8/29  USGS                    
  2 NNW CHELSEA     	5.37  1040 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  CHELSEA           	5.25   635 PM  8/28                          
  1 NNW UNION VILLAGE   4.70  1105 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  UNION VILLAGE     	4.03   229 PM  8/29  USGS                    
  SOUTH NEWBURY     	3.49   450 PM  8/28                          

...ORLEANS COUNTY...
  3 SW JAY              7.50  1049 AM  8/29  JAY PEAK COOP       	
  EAST BROWNINGTON      5.75  1247 AM  8/29                          
  1 WNW WESTFIELD   	5.27  1139 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  2 NNE GREENSBORO      5.26  1139 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  1 SW IRASBURG     	5.15  1047 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  3 NNW NEWPORT     	4.47   223 PM  8/29  USGS                    
  1 NE NEWPORT          4.39  1050 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  BROWNINGTON       	4.36   714 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER     	
  2 E NORTH TROY        4.34   222 PM  8/29  USGS                    
  NEWPORT           	3.75   613 PM  8/28                          
  1 NNE BROWNINGTON 	3.55   512 PM  8/28                          
  2 WNW STANNARD        3.30   418 PM  8/28                          

...RUTLAND COUNTY...
  1 SSW DANBY FOUR COR  6.51  1041 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  CASTLETON         	5.88   813 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER     	
  3 ESE SHREWSBURY      5.88  1056 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  SHREWSBURY            5.88   627 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER     	
  2 SSE DANBY FOUR COR  5.82   206 PM  8/29  RAWS                    
  MENDON                5.80  1140 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  2 WSW EAST WALLINGFO  5.71  1042 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  1 N WEST RUTLAND      5.25  1140 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  MIDDLETOWN SPRINGS    4.50   450 PM  8/28                          
  CLARENDON         	4.30   413 PM  8/28                          
  3 W PAWLET            3.69  1111 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  3 SSE NORTH CLARENDO  3.50  1122 AM  8/29  AWOS                    
  NORTH SHREWSBURY      2.74   945 AM  8/16  SPOTTER             	
  1 NNW PITTSFORD   	2.42   700 AM  8/16  PUBLIC                  

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...
  ALPINE VILLAGE        7.87  1144 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  1 ESE WAITSFIELD      6.45  1106 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  2 SSE WAITSFIELD      5.98  1110 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  4 ENE CABOT       	5.81  1142 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  WARREN                5.75   615 PM  8/28                          
  2 NNE MORETOWN        5.35  1052 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  2 WNW WORCESTER   	5.21  1110 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  1 ESE PLAINFIELD      5.12  1058 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  PLAINFIELD            5.10  1143 PM  8/28  STORM TOTAL         	
  2 NNW MONTPELIER      5.07  1051 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  7 NE MIDDLESEX        4.87  1143 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  2 S MORETOWN          4.68  1115 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  2 ENE MIDDLESEX   	4.66  1142 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  WATERBURY         	4.65   717 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER     	
  1 SE BERLIN       	4.46   750 PM  8/28  ASOS STORM TOTAL        
  WATERBURY CENTER      4.40   737 PM  8/28                          
  5 NNE WATERBURY   	4.35  1141 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  3 NE WATERBURY        4.25  1143 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  5 SW MARSHFIELD   	4.20  1143 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  1 SE WATERBURY CENTE  3.50  1110 AM  8/29  MESONET             	

...WINDSOR COUNTY...
  1 WSW LUDLOW          7.86  1145 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  CAVENDISH         	7.60   924 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER     	
  1 ENE WOODSTOCK   	7.34  1107 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  LUDLOW                7.00   800 AM  8/29  PUBLIC                  
  1 N NORTH SPRINGFIEL  5.66   748 PM  8/28  ASOS STORM TOTAL        
  1 WNW LUDLOW          5.53   223 PM  8/29  UTILITY             	
  3 WNW EAST BETHEL 	5.52  1039 AM  8/29  COOP                    
  3 ESE ANDOVER     	4.78  1113 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  1 NNE NORTH HARTLAND  4.70   220 PM  8/29  USGS                    
  2 NW SOUTH POMFRET    4.66  1056 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  SPRINGFIELD       	4.53   714 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER     	
  2 ESE SHARON          4.45  1054 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  HARTLAND FOUR CORNER  4.27  1048 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  WILDER                4.03  1111 AM  8/29  MESONET             	
  2 NNE NORWICH     	3.91  1145 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  1 NW NORTH HARTLAND   3.69  1054 AM  8/29  COOP    

The thing that stands out most on this map is how much orographics played a role in the Eastern Adirondacks... long duration NE winds upsloping into the eastern High Peaks Region really cranked out the water from the atmosphere, with very little on the western half of the Adirondacks. Also the usual Green Mountain Spine enhancement scattered some bullseyes up and down the Spine... and lastly there's the Orange Heights maximum (nod towards Allenson) which really does well on SE through NE wind flows. This is pretty much a climo precipitation map based on topography in the BTV CWA.

image.png

BTV's final rainfall tally from across their County Warning Area... some big numbers in there for a rainfall event of 24 hours or less.

The thing that stands out most on this map is how much orographics played a role in the Eastern Adirondacks... long duration NE winds upsloping into the eastern High Peaks Region really cranked out the water from the atmosphere, with very little on the western half of the Adirondacks. Also the usual Green Mountain Spine enhancement scattered some bullseyes up and down the Spine... and lastly there's the Orange Heights maximum (nod towards Allenson) which really does well on SE through NE wind flows. This is pretty much a climo precipitation map based on topography in the BTV CWA.

I just saw this on the BTV site myself. Very nice gathering & plotting of numbers. I've actually been putting together a map for VT & NH (sorry ME guys, time contraints, don'tcha know--Maine's a big place) and found the same thing regarding terrain enhancement. As close to here as North Haverhill, NH, shadowed by the western Whites, only 2.96" fell and yet near or over 7" was recorded within 15-20 crow miles. No doubt we do well in SE fetch here. I'll post the map if I get it all put together in the next couple days. Headed out on Saturday for a trip out west...

I just saw this on the BTV site myself. Very nice gathering & plotting of numbers. I've actually been putting together a map for VT & NH (sorry ME guys, time contraints, don'tcha know--Maine's a big place) and found the same thing regarding terrain enhancement. As close to here as North Haverhill, NH, shadowed by the western Whites, only 2.96" fell and yet near or over 7" was recorded within 15-20 crow miles. No doubt we do well in SE fetch here. I'll post the map if I get it all put together in the next couple days. Headed out on Saturday for a trip out west...

Yeah, We are chopped liver over here....lol

Yeah, We are chopped liver over here....lol

C'mon, man! ;)

Nah, I love Maine--I've lived in York, Rockland, Kingfield & Stratton before. I've just been trying to squeeze this at work but we've been busy this week and again, leaving on a jetplane on Saturday morning. Speaking of work, I've got to get my arse there soon. Showah-time.

Sorry Jayhawk, sucks to be without power this long. I'm feelin' that today's the day for you.... Positive thoughts!

The allure of living as my forefathers did is losing its appeal. Entering day five of Irene-induced freedom from electricity ... 89 hours and counting.

Anybody know if CMP is working 24 hours/day on repairs or do they call it a day at nightfall?

that's ridiculous. I could see if you were somewhere's off the beaten path or on your own camp road with a big oak hanging on the wire. Do you know where in your area the problem is?

C'mon, man! ;)

Nah, I love Maine--I've lived in York, Rockland, Kingfield & Stratton before.

Can't get theah from heah! DOT hopes to have the temp structures in place next Tuesday on the two Route 27 blowouts near Sugarloaf, new bridges by the end of November.

August numbers IMBY, compared to my 13-yr data:

High...73.55 (-1.78)

Low....53.48 (+0.95)

Mean..63.52 (-0.43)

High: 82 on 8/1

Low: 43 on 8/23

Rainfall..8.09" (+5.39", and my rainist August by 1.32")

The 4.25" on 8/28 is my largest calenday-day rain measurement since moving to my present home, topping the 4.02" day in 9/1999 (Floyd.) However, the 4.41" event total ranks only 5th, behind storms in 6/98, 9/99, 10/05, and 4/07, each of which dumped over 5" IMBY. IIRC (records are at home), the top event is 5.90" in June, 1998.

Can't get theah from heah! DOT hopes to have the temp structures in place next Tuesday on the two Route 27 blowouts near Sugarloaf, new bridges by the end of November.

Yep, I heard there was some flooding there along the Carabassett. When I lived in Kingfield, I lived just outside of town, on the east side of the river on a little plot of land known as 'The Island'. The river takes a little dogleg there and there's a low lying swale that bypasses the dogleg in more of a straight shot that is known to flood, thus making this spot an island. When I lived there, we had pretty good ice jam during a thaw and sure enough, we were surrounded by water and bergs.

Back to Vermont, there are some showers and a flash flood warning over areas where rain is the last thing they need right now--eastern Rutland and into Windsor counties. Ugh.

OK, here's the map. Not sure if it's real exact but I think it's a decent & rough approximation.

6103668869_4666857cb3_z.jpg

Full size/high-res can be seen here:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6061/6103668869_dbbd27cdba_o.jpg

Powderfreak:

Look how closely this dovetails with Floyd in 1999

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/i-hear-irene/

Scary.

I have many friends in the Keene Valley and they have heard from rangers that ranger wx stations in the high peaks - like at lake colden for example- picked up over 10 inches of water. It's not certified by NWS but I believe it. There was A TON of water that funneled up into those east facing slopes and valleys.

FYI - tons of new slides came down. Tons. Nothing we've ever seen before.

.. A Flash Flood Warning remains in effect until 730 PM EDT for

northeastern Rutland and central Windsor counties...

National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated heavy rainfall

likely producing flash flooding. Estimates of between 2 and 5

inches of rainfall has fallen in the headwaters of the Cold

River... and in the drainages of Sargent brook and Mendon brook.

While this is a relatively small area... these drainages will see

rapid rises and quickly leave their banks. Culverts... bridges... and

roadside ditches will be overwhelmed by water. Road and loose fill

washouts from recent Road repairs are possible.

Locations in the warning include but are not limited to North

Clarendon and just east of the city of Rutland.

If you encounter flooding... seek higher ground immediately. When you

can do so safely please report any flooding to the National Weather

Service by calling toll free... 1 800 8 6 3 4 2 7 9... or by submitting

a storm report at weather.Gov/Burlington.

Archived