12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strong TS went thru 4:15-4:45 yest afternoon, 0.75" in 15 minutes and 0.86" overall, with some gusts well into the 40s - trees bent over farther than at any time during Irene. No damage IMBY, but a large tree blocked Mosher Hill Road in Farmington (just NW of Clearwater Pond), and that area had considerable marble hail. (My hail shield remains in good working order.) Then about six hr of 360-degree heat lightning, though cocorahs this morning suggests most was to my north; 2.5" rain in Bingham.

Brief shower 7-8 AM today, and very dense air, though GYX reports an hour ago showed most dews in the mid-upper 60s, not the mid 70s some folks had yesterday.

BTV's final rainfall tally from across their County Warning Area... some big numbers in there for a rainfall event of 24 hours or less.

********************STORM TOTAL RAINFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS                   
                    RAINFALL           OF 
                    /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT             

VERMONT          

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...              
  WATERBURY             4.65   717 AM  8/29  TRAINED SPOTTER            
  WATERBURY CENTER      4.40   737 PM  8/28                          
  5 NNE WATERBURY       4.35  1141 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                
  3 NE WATERBURY        4.25  1143 AM  8/29  COCORAHS                             
  1 SE WATERBURY CENTE  3.50  1110 AM  8/29  MESONET                 

Thanks for posting all the totals PF, when I looked through the list I noticed that unfortunately the data from our site here at 3 NW WATERBURY didn’t get into the report; I was able to make all my observations on time, but I’m guessing the data couldn’t get incorporated because I had to submit it late due to our power outage and being cut off by the flooding. Fortunately I had sent in an intermediate CoCoRaHS "Significant Weather" report after the bulk of the rain to get most of the data in and note the local flooding. The 4.42” total here does fit in well with what most of the Waterbury sites reported.

On the topic of rainfall, the current event just pushed this location past 50 inches of liquid equivalent for the 2011 calendar year. For 2010 the total here was 54.17”, so this year is running well ahead of even that pace, and the total precipitation could end up beyond 60 inches. Extrapolation of the current pace would actually put the 2011 total at around 75 inches; that seems more like something I would expect for one of the peaks around here, not down in the valley, so it’s hard to even imagine where the higher elevations are running. For the final four months of 2010, over 23 inches of liquid fell at this location though, so amazingly, even getting up above 70 inches of liquid for the year isn’t that outlandish. One funny thing is that it’s been such a great summer in terms of dry days, with weekend after weekend of nice weather, so sometimes it’s hard to figure out where all the liquid even came from.

Had 0.88" Sunday, all but 0.02" from the afternoon TS, then about 0.14" Monday before the steady rain added nearly 0.8" more by 9 PM. Dumped another 0.50" this morning at 7, for a total of 2.30" in 2 days (plus a small amount, under 1/4", after 7 this morning.) Sandy is brown and high, but flow won't reach 1/3 of what it hit last week. Carrabasset peaked at just over 5,000 cfs, not nice for the crews woeking on the temp bridges (planned to be ready by nightfall today), but only 1/6 of last week's flood flow.

A quick eyeball shows 1.25" here in this past event... seems to be in the ballpark with the other Stowe spotters.

Again, the MVL ASOS is by far the lowest report in the county. For some reason I think that thing just straight under-reports. There's no way the ASOS consistently receives the least amount of precipitation in northern/central VT.

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...
  5 SSE CAMBRIDGE       1.53   600 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  3 SSE STOWE           1.41   700 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  5 N JEFFERSONVILLE    1.22   805 AM  9/06  CO-OP OBSERVER
  SW STOWE              1.22   645 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  1 SSE ELMORE          1.06   700 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  1 SW MORRISVILLE      1.05   700 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  3 NE HYDE PARK        0.98   615 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  2 S EDEN              0.92   628 AM  9/06  CO-OP OBSERVER
  MORRISVILLE ARPT      0.76   830 AM  9/06  [url="http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=ASOS"]ASOS[/url]

Some big rainfall out of the BTV area in Chittenden County in the last 24 hours... BTV has had a very wet year.

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...
  2 SE SOUTH BURLINGTO  3.25   700 AM  9/06  [url="http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=NWS"]NWS[/url] EMPLOYEE
  1 NW BURLINGTON       2.46   700 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  BURLINGTON INTL ARPT  2.36   830 AM  9/06  [url="http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=ASOS"]ASOS[/url]
  5 NNE UNDERHILL       2.32   600 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  1 E HUNTINGTON        2.31   700 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  1 N ESSEX JUNCTION    2.06   800 AM  9/06  CO-OP OBSERVER
  1 NNE HUNTINGTON      1.94   800 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  4 NNE UNDERHILL       1.94   700 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  3 SSE RICHMOND        1.83   700 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  3 NNE CHARLOTTE       1.57   730 AM  9/06  COCORAHS
  1 E NASHVILLE         1.55   645 AM  9/06  [url="http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=NWS"]NWS[/url] EMPLOYEE
  3 NE UNDERHILL CENTE  1.21   800 AM  9/06  COCORAHS

phew. its raining again. got a little worried last night when it the clouds broke, the dew point dropped, and the mushrooms growing on the mt bike started to dry up a bit. on the plus side though the leaves are starting to go for it, the apple trees are loaded, the beech trees are dumping, haven't seen a brown fuzzy catepillar yet to confirm another myth about a great winter but 3 for 4 ain't bad

this all or nothing pattern is only good for nerve synapses

I'm not sure if this has been posted on this forum, but this is DEFINITELY worth a view... these are tons of hi-res flood photos from the ground and air courtesy of Mansfield Heli-Flight. This stuff is nuts. Starts out with a lot of photos within a mile of J.Spin's house in Waterbury and my old stomping grounds in RT 2 through Bolton/Richmond and then moves south from there.

http://www.mansfieldheliflight.com/flood/

This really shows the incredible power of flash flooding... not sure which is worse, a bunch of tornadoes moving through the state, or this? Pretty much the same net effect. Notice that one red car (looks like a Subaru wagon or something) uphill of the yellow grader (?)... its covered in mud like 3-4 feet thick and all the other cars were tossed like matchbox cars.

LG9_9245.jpg

the picture of the VAST suspension bridge in Waterbury really shows the massive extent of the flooding. I've been over that bridge numerous times and that picture is outrageous.

The bridge made it through ok. They rebuilt it last year and this is the second time since then that the water has gotten up there. Our golf course lost all 5 of it's bridges.

post-363-0-80075100-1315493031.jpg

Damn, just found out there was a good microburst almost imby

Concord Monitor Article

Meteorologist Margaret Curtis of the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine, said winds reached 60 miles per hour."It's a small burst of intense wind, an outflow of thunderstorms," Curtis said, describing a microburst. "It falls apart and cold air sinks and has nowhere to go and it pushes out. You could have been a quarter of a mile away and not even noticed it."

That's what happened in this case. The owner of the house closest to the dealership, no more than 100 yards away, said he heard noise

Monday night but felt nothing. He sustained no damage to his property.

I'm about 1mi from the affected location. Had a decent gust come though, maybe 25-30mph just before, then I actually heard what sounded like a moderate gust of wind in the distance just after the power went out.

I felt it may have been storm related, but unitil tweeted that it was a motor vehicle accident that caused the outage and I believed it.

Drove by the spot yesterday to see what happened and snapped a couple pix.

post-1816-0-54134600-1315500239.jpg

Hey guys,

Still out here on San Juan Island, Washington. Been here all week. Looks like I missed some more rain and what, some severe wx in NH?

Got a friend watching the house and doing my obs for me--doesn't look like we had too much rain at the house anyway...

It's beautiful out here and very dry right now. This area is shadowed by the Olympics to the south and actually only averages 20-25" of precip per year. Not what one normally expects for the Pac-NW. Hasn't rained of any consequence out here since early July from what I hear. Apparently, that's pretty typical though.

There's even native savanah/prairie landscape here on the island.

Hiked a bunch, two sea kayaking trips, seen tons of seals, a sea lion and even orcas. Cool.

Photo thread when I get back.

Later.

How is things in Maryland, Jay?

Rainy thats for sure. And too warm and humid for my liking. Season started off with a bang and a 42-3 win over crosstown rival Morgan State. We have Villanova tomorrow night. They are twentieth in the country but I think we can beat them. That said, my season is over. Tore my labrum and I have surgery scheduled on the 19th. Not really a big deal at all because I can just use a redshirt year. I will have lost no eligibility with this extra year. I will have actually gained a free year of college education from the school also. (Not to mention they are paying for my surgery anyways).

That said this area isn't too bad but its not home or Maine either.

How are things for you up north?

Rainy thats for sure. And too warm and humid for my liking. Season started off with a bang and a 42-3 win over crosstown rival Morgan State. We have Villanova tomorrow night. They are twentieth in the country but I think we can beat them. That said, my season is over. Tore my labrum and I have surgery scheduled on the 19th. Not really a big deal at all because I can just use a redshirt year. I will have lost no eligibility with this extra year. I will have actually gained a free year of college education from the school also. (Not to mention they are paying for my surgery anyways).

Geez, That sucks about the injury made for a short season for you but you will recover for sure from a torn labrum, Summer has been great here, Warm and dry for the most part until recently, We had an active Storm season as well with numerous severe cells here and there, Looking forward to another great winter up here as all indications so far look like we may end up above avg again for snowfall, We will have to see how it all plays out over the next few months, Study hard, And get well soon..

Think "Drew Brees" - he's done pretty well after his labrum tear and surgery, though he couldn't outscore the Pack last night. You're younger, should heal even faster.

Severe stuff continues to miss MBY - hail reported at least 10 times in adjacent towns (or one town removed), none here. However, we've had 10" rain in the past 4 wks, so the swamps are full. Those who know something of what they speak are pointing toward a high potential for above normal snowfall in NNE this winter. We'll see. Potential frost late next week, maybe even this Sunday if things break just right. In my two Baltimore autumns, we didn't even approach frostiness much before Thanksgiving. I was there for the blizzard of 1966, though, so not allowed to complain.

Think "Drew Brees" - he's done pretty well after his labrum tear and surgery, though he couldn't outscore the Pack last night. You're younger, should heal even faster.

Severe stuff continues to miss MBY - hail reported at least 10 times in adjacent towns (or one town removed), none here. However, we've had 10" rain in the past 4 wks, so the swamps are full. Those who know something of what they speak are pointing toward a high potential for above normal snowfall in NNE this winter. We'll see. Potential frost late next week, maybe even this Sunday if things break just right. In my two Baltimore autumns, we didn't even approach frostiness much before Thanksgiving. I was there for the blizzard of 1966, though, so not allowed to complain.

Pretty tepid severe storm season in my 'hood as well, at least compared to last year with the tornado outbreak. No hail for me this year, but no complaints - I like my car to not take the appearance of a golfball.

Archived