joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 5" here. Peak wind on the Davis was 39mph. I had a gust to 45mph last Sunday afternoon in the line of thunderstorms that came through. No branches or any damage of any consequence and no power discruptions on my dirt road. For 1100 feet with an open exposure was not much of a windstorm. Rain was impressive and it brought my pond up several feet.

PS I think my Davis registers low by about 10mph I would guess, but I do not know.

3.13" of rain...31mph gust. Decent storm, but nothing major up here. We lost power for about 20 mins and have some leaves in the yard.

If Irene's track followed those more eastward progs it would've been a lot worse rainfall wise here...maybe more wind too since it wouldn't have been rotting over E NJ.

If Irene's track followed those more eastward progs it would've been a lot worse rainfall wise here...maybe more wind too since it wouldn't have been rotting over E NJ.

Definitely west. Been trying to figure out where the center of the low is now--looks like along the NY/southwest VT border?

Pushing 6" now. Everytime I think it's going to let up, the faucet opens again. Could use a break actually....

We saw the same thing up at Bolton on Monday – up in the 2,500’ to 3,500’ range. There’s a real preponderance of evergreens up at those elevations on many aspects, but the areas of deciduous trees were starting to stand out as the tone of their leaves were obviously becoming muted. I didn’t get any pictures, but I might be back up on the mountain on Saturday for a work day, so I’ll try to bring along the camera.

We had a good work day yesterday up on the mountain; it felt a bit more humid than I’d expect for around here at this time of year, but we had a great breeze when we took our lunch break up on the deck of the patrol house at the Wilderness summit (~3,100’). I’ve added an image below showing some of the early color changes that are going on up there. The foreground has some signs, and then in the background you can really see how the late-season hues of the deciduous trees are causing those areas to stand out among the evergreens.

27AUG11A.jpg

In terms of rain from the current system, there was 0.20 inches in the gauge when I sent in my CoCoRaHS report this morning at 6:00 A.M., and since then we’ve caught roughly an additional three inches. Drainage has been working well thus far; we prepped and cleared ahead of time, but I’d say this has actually been less of a stress on our drainage than the typical intense summer downpours because it has just been a consistent, steady rain that has not pushed beyond flow capacity.

It's bad out there around here. Just took a little spin around a small part of town and there are many town roads that are completely flooded over and basically impassible. I saw water up to the foundations of low lying houses and fields flooded aplenty.

Took quite a few pics--will post them up later tonight or tomorrow.

Here is just one example....

Flash Flood warning for the North Conway NH for over A FOOT OF RAIN that has fallen over the Swift and Saco Rivers. That sounds like a dire situation to me. Plus all the other flood warnings around northern New Eng. Ct River about to flood in West Leb...

Stay safe folks, not even worth leaving the house tongiht, unless you are told to evacuate. yikes.

It's bad out there around here. Just took a little spin around a small part of town and there are many town roads that are completely flooded over and basically impassible. I saw water up to the foundations of low lying houses and fields flooded aplenty.

Took quite a few pics--will post them up later tonight or tomorrow.

came on fast! talked to my buddy in S. Wheelock said within an hour the brook had overrun the banks and was now washing out S Wheelock road and took a bridge out, as in removed it completely, water already at levels from the Spring runoff and its still comin. gonna be a real **** show tonight when all that water makes it to the valley floors

we're at 4" now, the yard is bubbling and now thunder and lightning

Here is just one example....

Flash Flood warning for the North Conway NH for over A FOOT OF RAIN that has fallen over the Swift and Saco Rivers. That sounds like a dire situation to me. Plus all the other flood warnings around northern New Eng. Ct River about to flood in West Leb...

Stay safe folks, not even worth leaving the house tongiht, unless you are told to evacuate. yikes.

Some of the radar estimates from up there are 14"!!!

Historic flooding underway in Vermont. The historic records of event in most places are the 1927 and 1938 floods, both of which were exacerbated by a landscape that was greatly denuded of trees due to sheep grazing. Yet here we stand in August - in the height of summer with full leaf out - with floods of record being threatened or surpassed on many streams. Truly remarkable. Here are a few:

cenv1_hg.png

moov1_hg.png

Note that the river is already 4 feet past the projected crest, which suggests that the record crest of 19.4 feet is within reach.

nffv1_hg.png

bntv1_hg.png

Took a quick trip around the area a little earlier. Things were not that bad around my house, but I'm up on a hill. Drove over to Northfield and it is a real mess. Rt. 12A is closed south of town and the Village has had to shut their water system down due to their wellfield being flooded. I have a few pictures on the iphone that I will try to upload later. Allenson, Rt. 25 in Waits River is closed. For anyone in VT who can pick it up, WDEV radio has been doing a great job keeping updates going out with a lot of reports from around the area being called in by listeners.

About 3.5" in my 'hood. No flooding but the trees took a beating. Numerous roads closed in my immediate area - I was driving around today and had to take a few detours to get home. Thankfully my road that was closed at one end was open at the other. Needless to say, there's a sh*tload of yardwork that'll need to be done in the coming days. What an awful mess.

For the VT peeps getting flooded, good luck and stay safe.

Pressure is rising, temps have dropped, and winds are out of the Northwest.

Well here is something you don't see everyday. 8pm advisory had the tropical storm centered 20 miles south of St. Johnsbury. Right in the neighborhood.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/at201109.public.html

summary of 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...information----------------------------------------------location...44.1n 72.1wabout 20 mi...35 km S of St. Johnsbury Vermontmaximum sustained winds...50 mph...85 km/hpresent movement...NNE or 25 degrees at 26 mph...43 km/hminimum central pressure...978 mb...28.88 inches

A few more minor flooding pictures from Stowe... every little creek, stream, tributary, etc is raging wayyy out of their banks and there's also just water pouring off the hillsides in spots where there isn't even a real creek bed. This one neighborhood had several channels of water moving through people's yards, driveways, etc.

This is a front yard... there's no creek or stream bed within 200 feet of this location but yet there's swiftly moving water pouring through the neighborhood haha.

Flash flood collapsed the back wall of our foundation.

Good luck j24. Hope your evac went ok and the damage is minimal.

In news from around here, Channel 3 is saying that there is some sort of issue with the Marshfield damn. They are saying that it is in jeopardy of overflowing and are considering releasing water. That'll pump up the volume of the Winooski. Wow just seeing the video of the Winooski in Montpelier. Water up to the bridges and this was during the daylight hours. May not have work at all tomorrow.

Pretty cool radar loop out of GYX showing the favored S-SE upslope areas holding onto the sheet drizzle/rain.

That was us last evening. I didn't think that heavy drizzle, or 'soft rain' as they call it in Scotland & Ireland (very common there) was ever going to end. Finally did. Good night, Irene.

6.79" event total here. No flooding here at the house but just a few miles down the road it was bad. Corinth is mainly drained by two good sized brooks--the Cookeville and the Meadow. Our land borders the Meadow Brook and that sucker was thundering along last night unlike I've ever heard it. Already this morning it seems a bit quieter.

The two brooks converge at a little locale called Goose Green. Goose Green was basically underwater last night. After they meet, it's known as the South Branch of the Waits River, which dumps into the Waits proper, which in turn empties into the Connecticut. Apparently there were road closures along the Waits and even down along RT 5 which parallels the CT. We'll see what I find when I head out this morning. Pics to follow later today...

Archived