Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

Powderfreak:

Look how closely this dovetails with Floyd in 1999

http://www.famousint...m/i-hear-irene/

Scary.

I have many friends in the Keene Valley and they have heard from rangers that ranger wx stations in the high peaks - like at lake colden for example- picked up over 10 inches of water. It's not certified by NWS but I believe it. There was A TON of water that funneled up into those east facing slopes and valleys.

FYI - tons of new slides came down. Tons. Nothing we've ever seen before.

Yeah if you look at the Floyd precipitation map its almost identical across VT in terms of minimums and maximums. Pretty classic climo precipitation pattern based on topography. Minimums in the Champlain Valley, Lamoille Valley (Morrisville, Eden, etc), and CT River Valley (particularly the upper valley) with maximums on the Spine, Worcesters, Orange Heights, and Presidentials.

The track is pretty much identical between the two... that's history repeating itself right there.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was a decent day to take a jaunt to the summit of Mansfield... not beautiful but no weather to make you turn around before the summit push. Luckily the ceiling got no lower than 4,500ft-ish so the summit never fogged in. Definitely could notice an increase in humidity as the haze pushed north all day long... probably the most humid weather we've seen in a while with dews in the low to mid 60s in the valleys.

The high-point along Mansfield's ridge...aka "The Chin"

IMG_7036_edited-1.jpg

IMG_7037_edited-1.jpg

Looking towards the southern end of Mansfield (WCAX towers) and the Green Mountain Spine.

IMG_7046_edited-1.jpg

Looking down at the base of the ski area, nearly 3,000 vertical feet below (4,395ft to 1,500ft).

IMG_7047_edited-1.jpg

FLASH FLOOD STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY

728 PM EDT THU SEP 1 2011

VTC003-025-020215-

/O.CON.KALY.FF.W.0036.000000T0000Z-110902T0215Z/

/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

BENNINGTON VT-WINDHAM VT-

728 PM EDT THU SEP 1 2011

...A FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1015 PM EDT FOR

NORTH CENTRAL WINDHAM AND NORTHEASTERN BENNINGTON COUNTIES...

AT 719 PM EDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS REPORTED EVACUATIONS

TAKING PLACE IN RAWSONVILLE DUE TO RAPIDLY RISING WATER ASSOCIATED

WITH FLASH FLOODING.

THE JAMAICA AREA IS DOWNSTREAM OF WHERE THE HEAVY RAIN HAS FALLEN

AND MAY BE IMPACTED BY FLOOD WATERS SHORTLY.

Ugh...

Nice work! That's an awesome map... really diggin' that Allenson. You going to be throwing those up after snowfall events this winter ;) ?

Ha-ha, maybe for the big ones. ;) Thanks though. It was a fun little project.

As for Floyd--he went south and east of Irene's track once over New England. We certainly had much stronger winds with Floyd around here than Irene produced. But yes, rainfall was similar from what I remember.

Good news, Jayhawk!

I'll take "Things Vermonters do not want to read" for $100, Alec.

http://forecast.weat...1&highlight=off

.HYDROLOGY...AS OF 352 PM EDT FRIDAY...SOIL MOISTURE REMAINS VERY HIGH ACROSSOUR AREA DUE TO RECENT EXCESSIVE RAINFALL FROM TROPICAL STORMIRENE. WITH 1 AND 3 HOUR FFG GUIDANCE VALUES RUNNING QUITE LOW INTHE 1.5-2.5 INCH RANGE...ANY SLOW MOVING THUNDERSTORMS COULDPOTENTIALLY CAUSE PROBLEMS ON SATURDAY.BY LATER SUNDAY INTO MONDAY CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING FOR AWIDESPREAD AND HEAVY RAINFALL EVENT TO DEVELOP ACROSS OUR AREAAS TROPICAL MOISTURE RIDES NORTHWARD ALONG A SLOW MOVING/STALLEDFRONTAL BOUNDARY. WHILE THE MAGNITUDE OF THE RAINFALL AMOUNTS WILLNOT BE AS EXCESSIVE AS EXPERIENCED WITH TROPICAL STORMIRENE...STORM TOTALS OF BETWEEN 2 AND 3 INCHES WITH LOCALIZEDAMOUNTS TO 4 INCHES ARE PLAUSIBLE WITH THIS EVENT. GIVENAFOREMENTIONED WET GROUND CONDITIONS...THESE AMOUNTS ARE MORE THANENOUGH TO RENEW THE FLOOD/FLASH FLOOD THREAT...AND AGGRAVATEONGOING REPAIR WORK TO DAMAGED INFRASTRUCTURE ALONG STREAM ANDRIVER CHANNELS. SHOULD CURRENT FORECASTS BECOME MORECERTAIN...FLOOD OR FLASH FLOOD WATCHES WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED THISWEEKEND. THUS CONDITIONS WILL BE MONITORED VERY CLOSELY.

I'll take "Things Vermonters do not want to read" for $100, Alec.

http://forecast.weat...1&highlight=off

Yeah... BTV's all over it. If a decent portion of a drainage basin picks up 4" of rainfall (even in 48 hours), there's going to be some major problems. I don't think anything under 2" could really cause much problems (except be a b*tch for putting in temporary bridges across the state), but once you get to 3-4" that'll make some big numbers in the past week.

AFOREMENTIONED FRONTAL BOUNDARY STALLS OVER THE REGION SUNDAY NIGHT

INTO MONDAY. PRONOUNCED SOUTHWEST FLOW ACROSS THE AREA WILL TAP INTO

GULF COAST MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH THE REMNANTS OF TROPICAL STORM

LEE...SETTING THE STAGE FOR A POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING

SITUATION ACROSS AREAS OF THE NORTH COUNTRY RECENTLY RAVAGED BY

FLOODING FROM TROPICAL STORM IRENE. STEADY RAIN WILL OVERSPREAD THE

REGION SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY...AND CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT

WITH PERIODS OF HEAVY RAIN POSSIBLE. THIS COULD HAVE A TREMENDOUS IMPACT ON RELIEF AND RECOVERY EFFORTS ONGOING ACROSS THE AREA AND IS DEFINITELY A SITUATION TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO.

85 with a dewpoint of 72 FTW :sizzle:

84/69 here. Just got done with 7 hours in my kayak. Started out cloudy and cool with a few rumbles of not-too-distant thunder when I was pretty fah from the cah but thankfully the boomer headed away from me and my lil boat. Sun came out afterwards and it was torch city. Nice day to be on the lake as there will be very few opportunities left this season.

This is a full-on torch for late August in my mind... averages are now down in the low-ish 70s with overnight lows down near 50F. Last night's low was 62F and today's high was 82F. That's a solid +10F on the daily departure.

Its currently 79/70 which feels like a sauna/steam bath.... I can't wait for these 70F dews to disappear for the season. This smells like more heavy rainfall and maybe some severe storms tomorrow with this moist airmass in place.

Even the icebox of SLK is 80/67 at almost 1,700ft. Warm, no denying that.

Was at the fair in Essex Junction this morning. They were making a huge deal about the incoming line of thunderstorms (as they probably should..) only to have (of course) the line break up as soon as it crossed the lake. They were talking up the 60 mph winds but there was never even a gust. Just a little rain. The storm sure died quickly.

Did one of the storms cause this earlier? As far as I know the storms were never actually over the field.

NOUS61 KBTV 042111FTMCXXMessage Date: Sep 04 2011 21:11:07DUE TO COMMUNICATION ISSUES HERE IN BURLINGTON, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RECEIVE RADAR PRODUCTS. NO FIX TIME AVAILABLE FOR NOW.

Archived