Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE rollin' through summer

Allenson

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We evacuated. I'll post pics tomorrow

Good luck dude... that was some serious water yesterday. I haven't lived here all that long but that was the most impressive display of water's power I've seen yet. Creeks that are dry most of the year were raging torrents and all the normal waterways were absolutely ridiculous.

I was just up at the ski area (closed for the day for clean up) and there's a fair number of downed trees and branches, mostly deadfall and rotted stuff. Widow-maker branches and leaning trees all came down, too. Some uprooted stuff as well.

Finished with 4.41" IMBY, about 90% coming midnight-3 PM yest. Lots of puddles and some trees down, most/all weakened with internal defect, and twigs/leaves all around. Sandy River was at 18,200 cfs at 9 AM, probably peaked about 19K, filled some of the fields along Route 2 but nothing special. The Carrabasset was another story, with a peak at/near 30K during the wee hours. If that is confirmed, it's their #4 peak flow, well behind the 50,700 of 4/87 but within a few hundred cfs of 1936 and 1953. (Today's Sandy River peak doesn't make the top 20.) Augusta parking lots to get washed this afternoon, as the Kennebec is forecast to peak at 5' above flood stage.

Heard on the news that folks at Sugarloaf (many of the condos are year round homes) are marooned. South Branch of the Carrabasset blew out Route 27 just north fo the access road and another watercourse took out Rt 27 somewhere not far south of the Loaf access. Also heard rumors of a washout of Route 4 in Madrid, either the upper Sandy or a trib, but no confirmation. Not easy to get to the Maine Mts today.

Finished with 4.41" IMBY, about 90% coming midnight-3 PM yest. Lots of puddles and some trees down, most/all weakened with internal defect, and twigs/leaves all around. Sandy River was at 18,200 cfs at 9 AM, probably peaked about 19K, filled some of the fields along Route 2 but nothing special. The Carrabasset was another story, with a peak at/near 30K during the wee hours. If that is confirmed, it's their #4 peak flow, well behind the 50,700 of 4/87 but within a few hundred cfs of 1936 and 1953. (Today's Sandy River peak doesn't make the top 20.) Augusta parking lots to get washed this afternoon, as the Kennebec is forecast to peak at 5' above flood stage.

Heard on the news that folks at Sugarloaf (many of the condos are year round homes) are marooned. South Branch of the Carrabasset blew out Route 27 just north fo the access road and another watercourse took out Rt 27 somewhere not far south of the Loaf access. Also heard rumors of a washout of Route 4 in Madrid, either the upper Sandy or a trib, but no confirmation. Not easy to get to the Maine Mts today.

I would say not, No access from Kingfield and no access from Rangely to that area.......... :(

I would say not, No access from Kingfield and no access from Rangely to that area.......... :(

Maybe Route 17 out of Mexico, though that road climbs to over 2,400', and the Swift River near Coos Canyon has blown it out in the past. Haven't heard anything about it so far, only that nearby Andover got over 6", near the top for Maine reports.

Maybe Route 17 out of Mexico, though that road climbs to over 2,400', and the Swift River near Coos Canyon has blown it out in the past. Haven't heard anything about it so far, only that nearby Andover got over 6", near the top for Maine reports.

Yeah, Rte 17 is sketchy and a pretty rough ride, Kind of reminds back in the 80's when the carabasset river took out a lot of rte 27 when we had the flood and the twin bridge on rte 4 just outside of farmington was taken out as well by the sandy river..

Poster 'adk' alerted me to this video from the Adirondacks... this is nuts. Right around 40-50 seconds in you can watch the river devour a section of the forest as trees get sucked down and in.

It really is no joke, mountain flash flooding is crazy stuff and extremely dangerous if you are anywhere near it. You fall in (like that woman in Wilmington, VT unfortunately) and your chance of survival is near 0%.

Yeah, Rte 17 is sketchy and a pretty rough ride, Kind of reminds back in the 80's when the carabasset river took out a lot of rte 27 when we had the flood and the twin bridge on rte 4 just outside of farmington was taken out as well by the sandy river..

The Fairbanks bridge in Farmington was one of only two remaining of its type in Maine, multiple concrete arch. Pictures of its debris in the river were pretty remarkable. Now the last of its kind, in Norridgewock, has been replaced by a new span, after years of scars from logging trucks negotiating its narrow lanes.

1987 is the flood all others are measured by in Central/Western Maine, with only 3/1936 for competition. '87 peak flows for the Sandy and Carrabasset are tops by 35% amd 65%, respectively, over 1936, which is #2 for both. The Kennebec at North Sidney registered 232,000 cfs, a flow I find incredible for such a relatively small drainage area. The 1993 peak flow of the Mississippi at St. Louis is only 5-6 times that amount, despite its having something like 200X the drainage basin. Since 1987, the highest flow is 102,000, in the pre-Christmas deluge/snow-eater of 2003. That's 23 yr without getting even halfway to 1987 (though 1994-2000 are missing for the K'bec, and June 1998 might've been close to 12/03.)

Flow at 3:45 was 66,700, and it appears the rise is slowing. I'd figured near 90K peak, given the upriver (Skowhegan) forecast of 81,500, but now I doubt North Sidney will reach 80. North parking lot in AUG is mostly under water, south lot should go for a swim soon.

Ugh, the internet has been down here at work all day until just now. Anyway, here are some flood pics from around Corinth:

The very same brook that is the back border of our land, 200' lower in elevation and down in the beaver meadowy flood plain (aptly named):

6094431896_116807d67c_z.jpg

Another look:

6094432956_fc91840fbf_z.jpg

Down in Goose Green where the Meadow and Cookeville Brooks meet, lapping at the road:

6094433388_e3a178cb01_z.jpg

The Cookeville Brook. The two rows of trees outline the normal water course here. As you can see, the water fanned out in all directions:

6093896095_f7b6914a2c_z.jpg

This is a road:

6094436230_522d1ee474_z.jpg

And this is a field, the Meadow Brook normally runs through the spruce and fir in the background:

6094436558_16d79a00fe_z.jpg

Given almost 7" of rain here, I'm surprised it wasn't worse. If it had been a wetter summer before this, I suspect it would have been a lot worse.

Here is an update regarding the damage to the transportation system in Vermont.10 communites and a portion of another have isolated due to damage to the road network, Areas east of Rutland toward Killington along U.S. 4 and up and down Route 100 seem to be an roughest shape. Further SE of there is bad as well.

Ugh, the internet has been down here at work all day until just now. Anyway, here are some flood pics from around Corinth:

Sweet pics, dude.... looks very similar to what we saw up here and it sounds like most of the state had varying degrees of that type of flash flooding. The river here is already way down and not far from being back to normal, haha. Amazing how quickly the response and following recede is in the mountains. I've always lived near main stem rivers like the Hudson or Winooski where flooding builds very slowly and then recedes very slowly... lots of lag time per se. Here its pretty instantaneous flash flooding but it seems to go down just as quick as it came up once the rain stops.

I love the photo of the two rows of trees showing the normal path of the river... yesterday you couldn't even tell where the rivers were supposed to be except for the trees; you know that rivers are not supposed to be flowing into/through mature stands of trees, haha.

Looks like Fall is here now... high of 69F today, already down to 63F. NWS calling for mid 40s tonight and general lows from the mid 40s to lower 50s over the next week with highs near 70 to the lower 70s.

Summer is done by the looks of our zone forecast...

Tonight...Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40s. West winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable.

Tuesday...Partly sunny in the morning...then mostly cloudy with a chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds...becoming southwest around 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Tuesday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. Southwest winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable.

Wednesday...Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds.

Wednesday Night...Clear. Lows in the mid 40s. Light and variable winds.

Thursday...Sunny. Highs in the lower 70s.

Thursday Night Through Friday Night...Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 50s. Highs in the lower 70s.

Looks like Fall is here now... high of 69F today, already down to 63F. NWS calling for mid 40s tonight and general lows from the mid 40s to lower 50s over the next week with highs near 70 to the lower 70s.

Summer is done by the looks of our zone forecast...

Tonight...Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40s. West winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable.

Tuesday...Partly sunny in the morning...then mostly cloudy with a chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds...becoming southwest around 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Tuesday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. Southwest winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable.

Wednesday...Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds.

Wednesday Night...Clear. Lows in the mid 40s. Light and variable winds.

Thursday...Sunny. Highs in the lower 70s.

Thursday Night Through Friday Night...Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 50s. Highs in the lower 70s.

Add 5 degrees for me in the lower els. Beautiful weather en route. Hopefully the holiday weekend isn't too fooked up.

Its amazing in the next 2 or 3 weeks how we get from feeling a high in the low 70's is a cool day to a high in the low 70's is a warm day. Really dislike when we fall below 72F for our average high.

Yeah it happens quickly here in the next month or so... to think there may even be some realistic first flake threats in 5-6 weeks, at least in the high terrain.

The average high/low for the local ASOS at MVL (730ft) is 76/52 today. Of course the ASOS is at the lowest elevation around these parts... average high up at the ski resort at 1,500ft is probably 71-72F now, 73-75ish in most of the inhabited areas of Stowe. Not long before average mins drop into the 40s.

Archived