• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Heat wave potential 6/8-6/10

weatherMA

Yeah most of my school has AC...we're in a computer lab as well right now, so it's comfortable. I'm filling in for a media teacher so I think we're going to be in here most of the day luckily. Yesterday I had to teach 2nd graders how to write response paragraphs in a classroom with no air-con, although luckily it wasn't quite as warm. Going to be brutal in the elementary buildings today.

Later today we are doing a lab on Charles's Law which requires the students to heat up water... I might scuttle that until Friday

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Later today we are doing a lab on Charles's Law which requires the students to heat up water... I might scuttle that until Friday

Is this like steam into a balloon or something? Balloon immersed in a hot water bath?

On the one hand, saving it for Friday doesn't sound like a bad idea. On the other hand, maybe you can forgo the Bunsen burners today, save some energy and just do it on the sidewalk outside :weight_lift:

What levels and sciences do you teach?

Is this like steam into a balloon or something? Balloon immersed in a hot water bath?

On the one hand, saving it for Friday doesn't sound like a bad idea. On the other hand, maybe you can forgo the Bunsen burners today, save some energy and just do it on the sidewalk outside :weight_lift:

What levels and sciences do you teach?

Middle school science (my grade does Physical Science and Tech/Engineering to some extent) and yes, something like that (with balloons, etc). We have other things to do... no biggie.

Middle school science (my grade does Physical Science and Tech/Engineering to some extent) and yes, something like that (with balloons, etc). We have other things to do... no biggie.

OK...I'm glad you like teaching! I loved Chemistry and Physics but didn't enjoy the other sciences much.

I think I'm going to Lehman College in the Bronx starting in September to do my teacher's certification. Hopefully, I'm going to be doing a Masters in Spanish Education program, my B.A. was a joint major in Spanish/French at Middlebury College in VT. Right now I'm just subbing in local public schools and doing private tutoring in Spanish to get some experience. Teaching jobs aren't easy to come by around here right now with so many teachers getting fired in NYC, saturating the marketplace, so I haven't had much luck in my search for a position at a private school. Had a couple of interviews but never worked out, so now I'm going back for more school and the teacher's license. Public schools have a much better salary and benefits structure as well.

It's happened in my school a few times..

100F temps with no A/C and old brick buildings is no way to learn. We'd have temps probably 110F in the upper floor classrooms when it got to be brutal in June.

I and all my classmates survived, it's 85 mid day in Colchester, poor souls.

I don't know if they need to close today, it's not turning out to be quite as hot as expected in many places. I think I'd keep school open.

Closings for the PM classes are certainly justified when you have 100/70 airmass in a 1930s building with no AC.

It's funny how BOS (a.k.a. Logan Airport, which sits pretty much IN Boston Harbor) is stuck with 130 degree winds almost immediately at sun-up, and their temp is hung at 73 or whatever lie that implies for the city. MOS will bust by 25F for that location if that persists - all MOS types - regardless.

Underscores the questionable usage of having Logan officiate for Boston. I wonder what it is like ON Boston Common? Almost can imagine it is 91 in between those concrete monoliths already.

We find a way to cope. KFIT is 87F

My classroom is around 81 using a questionable thermometer. Really not too bad.

I don't understand closing schools for high temps unless the classrooms get above 95 or so and there is no place to bring the kids.

Steve, the kids today are not like when we were young. You know this from your job.

We find a way to cope. KFIT is 87F

My classroom is around 81 using a questionable thermometer. Really not too bad.

I don't understand closing schools for high temps unless the classrooms get above 95 or so and there is no place to bring the kids.

Steve, the kids today are not like when we were young. You know this from your job.

81F isn't bad at all...you're staying cooler than the outside temperature.

We did have classrooms above 95F in my HS; it was a well-insulated, three-floor brick building with no A/C except for the computer lab and library. Teachers sometimes tried to schedule these rooms for heat waves, or hold class outside on the lawn, but there's a limit to how much you can do this. At some points, the district had to close for the afternoon...I know they closed in June 2008 when the temperature was around 100F in Dobbs Ferry. I think this is perfectly fair...rooms were easily 110F on the 3rd floor at the heat wave's worst.

And yes, things have changed. One of the main things is that we're accustomed to A/C so our body isn't built for heat anymore. I believe human beings make physical adaptations to the climate they live in, and the advent of central A/C in all major buildings has changed how well conditioned we are to deal with extremely warm temperatures. So much of our life is climate-controlled now, for better or worse, that heat may be more dangerous than it used to be.

81F isn't bad at all...you're staying cooler than the outside temperature.

We did have classrooms above 95F in my HS; it was a well-insulated, three-floor brick building with no A/C except for the computer lab and library. Teachers sometimes tried to schedule these rooms for heat waves, or hold class outside on the lawn, but there's a limit to how much you can do this. At some points, the district had to close for the afternoon...I know they closed in June 2008 when the temperature was around 100F in Dobbs Ferry. I think this is perfectly fair...rooms were easily 110F on the 3rd floor at the heat wave's worst.

And yes, things have changed. One of the main things is that we're accustomed to A/C so our body isn't built for heat anymore. I believe human beings make physical adaptations to the climate they live in, and the advent of central A/C in all major buildings has changed how well conditioned we are to deal with extremely warm temperatures. So much of our life is climate-controlled now, for better or worse, that heat may be more dangerous than it used to be.

Back when I was in HS, we walked to school in 3 feet of snow, uphill, both ways. Kids nowadays with their big fancy yellow buses and delays and closures for an inch of snow. Every generation had it tougher than the previous one.

Back when I was in HS, we walked to school in 3 feet of snow, uphill, both ways. Kids nowadays with their big fancy yellow buses and delays and closures for an inch of snow. Every generation had it tougher than the previous one.

LOL... the poor kids here in Stowe probably do. School here never seems to close due to snow even though snowfall in this town averages from 100" in the center of the village to close to 150" if you live up near the base of the ski resort. It would make most suburban-living PTA parents cringe... but here it seems to be a way of life. I know where I grew up in the Albany suburbs that if they had buses running through a cool 8-10" overnight every parent would be calling the school.

But I digress... today is a torch. Already 84F at noon up here at 800ft... the sensor at 2,100ft is already up near 80F. You know its a torch when even over 2,000ft is on pace for mid-80s.

This heat wave is not "dangerous" in the sense that its ridiculously rare. The dewpoints really aren't that high. We see 90s every summer (occasionally the hills will go a summer without 90F) and we've certainly seen higher dews before when its 90+.

This heat wave is not "dangerous" in the sense that its ridiculously rare. The dewpoints really aren't that high. We see 90s every summer (occasionally the hills will go a summer without 90F) and we've certainly seen higher dews before when its 90+.

It's actually very nice out down here in SECT 87/67 dew, not anywhere near oppressive.

Archived