• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Heat wave potential 6/8-6/10

weatherMA

Its deff. a bust when the public actually notices that the heat isn't as strong. Several teachers said "they lied about it being hot." lol.

Its not upper 90s here, but its hot enough and its humid as hell.

89/70 right now. About the same as yesterday but more humid.

Slightly OT but a cursory review of the overnight products across the board suggests it could get hot again in a week - perhaps similar transient ridge insurgeance and convection.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forky must be enjoying that. That type of heat must really bring out the wonderful fresh mountain air of Newark.

It's awful down here, I have had trouble breathing with the poor air quality. My high was 93.9F with the dewpoint reaching 78F. Currently 88/76, feels horribly. Heat wasn't a bust here, dangerous stuff.

It's awful down here, I have had trouble breathing with the poor air quality. My high was 93.9F with the dewpoint reaching 78F. Currently 88/76, feels horribly. Heat wasn't a bust here, dangerous stuff.

A young fit guy like yourself? Surely you jest or perhaps you have an over active imagination.

A dewpoint of 78F is just filthy, filthy stuff. I have no idea why you'd leave VT to go back to the lower Hudson Valley, ;)

The heat not busting down there isn't surprising though... that area from POU to PHL really seems to take the brunt during hot patterns and unfortunately climo says you'll be enduring more of these days in the months to come.

Not official heat wave for most of us AWT.

As far as I can tell, Kevin's "summer cottage on the tarmac at BDL" was the only place to hit an official heat wave of 3 days of 90F or higher. And even BDL never got higher than 92F throughout this whole "massive torch of epic proportions" which isn't that hard of a value for BDL to hit. Someone could fart near the ASOS and it'll hit 90F.

You'll hit or exceed 90 on Thursday. Enjoy

Wow what a torch thursday will be... Even pete should make 90...bdl upper 90s?

:lol: ...right, anyway - this is sneaking up on an Excessive Heat warn criteria 2 day stint with this... We can currently see on WV imagery a large plume of Sonoran airs ejecting from the SW (850's +27C in central NE!) and is about to roll up in the converyor around the NW periphery of this brief amplitude in the east. Wednesday's involvement in this is really the surprise run up, should these GFS and NAM MOS products verify, Wednesday will rival May 25th 2010, as well as the June event in 2008, and that sets us up potentially for an extreme situation on Thursday given to the high launch at sun-up that day. Interesting...

Ooops.

As far as I can tell, Kevin's "summer cottage on the tarmac at BDL" was the only place to hit an official heat wave of 3 days of 90F or higher. And even BDL never got higher than 92F throughout this whole "massive torch of epic proportions" which isn't that hard of a value for BDL to hit. Someone could fart near the ASOS and it'll hit 90F.

KFIT missed it by 1* (a fraction I say!) on Tuesday...

87F for a high here...

65.1F here attm

BAF did it as well, CEF was "allegedly' short on Tuesday but their readings are considered biased low by many around here anyways.

A young fit guy like yourself? Surely you jest or perhaps you have an over active imagination.

We have a problem with ground-level ozone in NYC metro during the summers. With so many thousands of cars on the road, tailpipe emissions react with the heat to form dangerous amounts of ground-level ozone, which is a serious respiratory pollutant that significantly lowers air quality on hot/humid days. There was a thick haze in the air today with the view across the Hudson obscured by this smoggy haze, just absolutely disgusting. The air is usually fine here in Westchester, especially in the wooded area that I call home, but today was an exception. Upton had an Air Quality Alert in the point+click for all residents of the metro area to take caution with outdoor activity. This usually happens 5-10 times a summer, although never in the other seasons. Also, I find extremely high humidity to be uncomfortable for breathing; with dewpoints near 80F, I felt as if I were breathing in more steam than oxygen, just gross. It's cooled off some now to 68.4/68 but still muggy.

A dewpoint of 78F is just filthy, filthy stuff. I have no idea why you'd leave VT to go back to the lower Hudson Valley, ;)

The heat not busting down there isn't surprising though... that area from POU to PHL really seems to take the brunt during hot patterns and unfortunately climo says you'll be enduring more of these days in the months to come.

It was filthy...I like how much sunshine we get here compared to VT, but the summers at the bottom of the Hudson Valley are uncomfortable to say the least. Summer in Dobbs Ferry is my least favorite time of the year, just too warm at night and too much mugginess. One of the reasons we bake in the region you mention is downsloping on any westerly wind off the Catskills and higher elevations of NNJ. Some of our hottest days arrive with NW winds, which was common last summer, although I was in MT so didn't experience that heat. I'm sure we'll have some more torrid days this summer, but luckily the pattern looks to cool down for a while...our local forecast has 70F Saturday, 76F Sunday, 77F Monday, and 77F Tuesday. Average highs are in the upper 70s now; we should be a little below that, and may even sniff the 40s if we get a real clear night with that trough in town. Even in July, the average hi/low is 86/66 for Southern Westchester, so it's rare that it's this hot.

TJay over on the HV thread said:

"Spotter reported TWO funnel clouds in town of Newburgh 4:39pm

Spotter reported funnel cloud Tarrytown"

That's just up the road from you.....

6:02pm "quote name='nzucker' timestamp='1307672938' post='749024']

We have a problem with ground-level ozone in NYC metro during the summers. With so many thousands of cars on the road, tailpipe emissions react with the heat to form dangerous amounts of ground-level ozone, which is a serious respiratory pollutant that significantly lowers air quality on hot/humid days. There was a thick haze in the air today with the view across the Hudson obscured by this smoggy haze, just absolutely disgusting. The air is usually fine here in Westchester, especially in the wooded area that I call home, but today was an exception. Upton had an Air Quality Alert in the point+click for all residents of the metro area to take caution with outdoor activity. This usually happens 5-10 times a summer, although never in the other seasons. Also, I find extremely high humidity to be uncomfortable for breathing; with dewpoints near 80F, I felt as if I were breathing in more steam than oxygen, just gross. It's cooled off some now to 68.4/68 but still muggy.

It was filthy...I like how much sunshine we get here compared to VT, but the summers at the bottom of the Hudson Valley are uncomfortable to say the least. Summer in Dobbs Ferry is my least favorite time of the year, just too warm at night and too much mugginess. One of the reasons we bake in the region you mention is downsloping on any westerly wind off the Catskills and higher elevations of NNJ. Some of our hottest days arrive with NW winds, which was common last summer, although I was in MT so didn't experience that heat. I'm sure we'll have some more torrid days this summer, but luckily the pattern looks to cool down for a while...our local forecast has 70F Saturday, 76F Sunday, 77F Monday, and 77F Tuesday. Average highs are in the upper 70s now; we should be a little below that, and may even sniff the 40s if we get a real clear night with that trough in town. Even in July, the average hi/low is 86/66 for Southern Westchester, so it's rare that it's this hot.

Archived