joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Heat wave potential 6/8-6/10

weatherMA

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another toothless torch more than likely. Blech.

Luckily it's brief (only 2 days) and we cool down quickly after Thu. Last night's EC is kinda miserably cold/rainy for the weekend though. Then it tries to develop another cutoff low just to our E toward the end of the run.

yeah it really does. due west flow...perfect for delivery. NAM soundings even have HYA at 33C by 18z thur (with like 3100j/kg of SB CAPE and LI's at -6 LOL)

Sheesh... how often does HYA hit that? Inland will be interesting.

My stoopid classroom is not air conditioned and it roasts. Kids will be smelly and dropping like flies.

Sheesh... how often does HYA hit that? Inland will be interesting.

My stoopid classroom is not air conditioned and it roasts. Kids will be smelly and dropping like flies.

90F+? eh, depends on the summer really. i think last year it was maybe 4 times - which isn't much considering how hot that summer was. you can have brutally hot weather out here if the flow is right. some seasons the ridge orientation sets up such that the heat is consistently buffered by a SW wind...so instead of 93 or 95F or whatever the airmass is capable of, it might be like 85 or 87F here.

we definitely get our worst heat here when the surface flow is between 260 and 320...that's the best way to get it up into the 90s. july 99...i think it was the 5th...it hit 100/78 at HYA and the wind was actually like 330 at one point.

90F+? eh, depends on the summer really. i think last year it was maybe 4 times - which isn't much considering how hot that summer was. you can have brutally hot weather out here if the flow is right. some seasons the ridge orientation sets up such that the heat is consistently buffered by a SW wind...so instead of 93 or 95F or whatever the airmass is capable of, it might be like 85 or 87F here.

we definitely get our worst heat here when the surface flow is between 260 and 320...that's the best way to get it up into the 90s. july 99...i think it was the 5th...it hit 100/78 at HYA and the wind was actually like 330 at one point.

?It might have been couple of weeks later in 1999... but I could be wrong.

I remember being at the beach (Horseneck?) and they were doing helicopter searches looking for JFK Jr's plane and it was exceedingly hot... close to 100F iirc

Yeah, it was 100F on the 5th... truly a torch

If BDL hits 99 or 100 rest assured you'll hit 90 or higher

Just out of curiosity, we used to always hear about how cool your house would stay when BDL torches... but now we only hear about the BDL oven. What does your area at 1,000ft usually max out at when BDL hits upper 90s? Like 93-ish? Maybe 89-90F under incredibly dense foliage?

Archived