• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Heat wave potential 6/8-6/10

weatherMA

Was a great day, busted it out, hydrated.

Very comfortable back at the ranch, nice seabreeze! I love summer though, bring on the heat baby, but I dont consider 88 hot, though it was hot sw of here closer to nyc metro for sure.

Yeah 88F isn't a horrible temperature for summer work, pretty much average around here for late July/early August. I did some landscaping for a couple days last summer (after my Montana job cooking ended) with skierinvermont near his home in Lyme, CT...just basic stuff like mowing, trimming, and removing invasive species. It was in the mid-upper 80s, but a few hours wasn't so bad. Couldn't ever see doing that 8 hrs/day though, not to be offensive but I find mowing lawns and weeding gardens gets pretty boring. I'm sure you get to do some more sophisticated stuff that is a bit more mentally stimulating, however. I also do a lot of work on my own vegetable garden so I look for something completely different in a career/work situation. Finally, the pay we were getting was not so great, only around $14/hour...I earn about $20/hr doing deliveries for a local restaurant just sitting in my car, and $40/hr when I do private tutoring of Spanish or tennis lessons. Working 4 hours in the hot sun doing manual labor for 50 bucks wasn't exactly that appealing.

It didn't get as hot here as the LI North Shore and NE NJ, but the high was 92.3F in Dobbs Ferry. A few degrees below forecast but still brutally hot with dewpoints staying over 70. We had some AC in the school where I was subbing but it was still a bit uncomfortable in a few of the classrooms, and certainly in the crowded hallways. I might be working as an ESL Teacher's Assistant at this place for the summer school, so I hope we are in a better air-conditioned part of the building. Heating and AC in larger buildings like schools always seem to be quite uneven.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah 88F isn't a horrible temperature for summer work, pretty much average around here for late July/early August. I did some landscaping for a couple days last summer (after my Montana job cooking ended) with skierinvermont near his home in Lyme, CT...just basic stuff like mowing, trimming, and removing invasive species. It was in the mid-upper 80s, but a few hours wasn't so bad. Couldn't ever see doing that 8 hrs/day though, not to be offensive but I find mowing lawns and weeding gardens gets pretty boring. I'm sure you get to do some more sophisticated stuff that is a bit more mentally stimulating, however. I also do a lot of work on my own vegetable garden so I look for something completely different in a career/work situation. Finally, the pay we were getting was not so great, only around $14/hour...I earn about $20/hr doing deliveries for a local restaurant just sitting in my car, and $40/hr when I do private tutoring of Spanish or tennis lessons. Working 4 hours in the hot sun doing manual labor for 50 bucks wasn't exactly that appealing.

It didn't get as hot here as the LI North Shore and NE NJ, but the high was 92.3F in Dobbs Ferry. A few degrees below forecast but still brutally hot with dewpoints staying over 70. We had some AC in the school where I was subbing but it was still a bit uncomfortable in a few of the classrooms, and certainly in the crowded hallways. I might be working as an ESL Teacher's Assistant at this place for the summer school, so I hope we are in a better air-conditioned part of the building. Heating and AC in larger buildings like schools always seem to be quite uneven.

Yes, cutting grass is mundane, but my business has a nice flow. I design during the winter, plant gardens and landscapes all spring, move to lawns in the summer past June 15th usually then back to gardens and design in the fall. I dont weed gardens, just dead head, I let any client know that before i start :thumbsup: Break gardens down in early November, then back to design. When I started 30 an hour was the going rate, but now that I am a UCONN master gardner I can charge substantially more an hour, but to be honest most jobs are priced per job, otherwise it becomes too expensive for the client.

I am lucky to be able to charge between 40-75 dollars a cut depending on the location and size of the lawn, it adds up quickly of course. Follow your dreams and do something that you love to do! I am blessed that in both of my careers so far in life I actually love waking up to go to work. Good luck Nate, work hard and anything is possible.

How did the lawns go?

For those hating the heat, the 12z Euro has a very stout cooldown Sunday-Wednesday with 850s only around 4C with the ULL centered to our northeast. It also brings another big trough down from the Upper Great Lakes at Day 10. Doesn't look as if the death ridge will make another strike for a while.

thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Now thats school's almost over, bring on the heat. Anywhere between 80 and 95 is fine. 70s is fine too but its not good for the pool temp. sun.gif

Got up to 87 here. MOS busted about 4-6F too warm for KORH. I can't remember what it had for stations like BDL.

Don't know about the MOS here, Will, but the BOX p/c was pretty good. They called for 87 and I topped at 86.1. Now 85.2/69. Seems like a repeat tomorrow after tonight's forecasted 64.

I'll be in SE Mass overnight so I'll get to experience that weather--at least through the morning.

Don't know about the MOS here, Will, but the BOX p/c was pretty good. They called for 87 and I topped at 86.1. Now 85.2/69. Seems like a repeat tomorrow after tonight's forecasted 64.

I'll be in SE Mass overnight so I'll get to experience that weather--at least through the morning.

I don't remember what the BOX p/c had late last night or early this morning, but at one point yesterday it had 95F for here (I clicked on Holden, MA). That was definitely too warm. I thought we'd be close to 90F, but even that was too warm as well. Not that I'm complaining. 87F is plenty warm enough for me.

thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Now thats school's almost over, bring on the heat. Anywhere between 80 and 95 is fine. 70s is fine too but its not good for the pool temp. sun.gif

For those of us that live in more urbanized areas without access to a pool and without central AC in the home, there's not much to like about this heat. It's like 90 degrees in my house right now, except for my mom's air-conditioned bedroom where I'm lounging. School in NY State doesn't end until June 24th, so I've got two more weeks of subbing left, then I may be starting as an ESL TA in summer school on July 5th. The building has some AC but it doesn't work great in most rooms for the hottest days. I am also going to be starting to teach some private tennis lessons, so I'd hope this weather cools down before I have to be out on the courts teaching. You are indeed fortunate....oh to be young and live in a modern house with all the amenities!

High of 92.3F here today, now 91/74, scorching and humid. You seem to love the heat but I'm not too big of a fan except for the fact that my tomato plants already have a lot of fruits on them with the above average temperatures and constant sunshine the past few weeks. Never seen tomatoes this mature so early in the season. Eggplant is also starting to set fruits, unreal. Crazy acceleration from the hot-weather vegetables in the last 2 weeks.

For those of us that live in more urbanized areas without access to a pool and without central AC in the home, there's not much to like about this heat. It's like 90 degrees in my house right now, except for my mom's air-conditioned bedroom where I'm lounging. School in NY State doesn't end until June 24th, so I've got two more weeks of subbing left, then I may be starting as an ESL TA in summer school on July 5th. The building has some AC but it doesn't work great in most rooms for the hottest days. I am also going to be starting to teach some private tennis lessons, so I'd hope this weather cools down before I have to be out on the courts teaching. You are indeed fortunate....oh to be young and live in a modern house with all the amenities!

High of 92.3F here today, now 91/74, scorching and humid. You seem to love the heat but I'm not too big of a fan except for the fact that my tomato plants already have a lot of fruits on them with the above average temperatures and constant sunshine the past few weeks. Never seen tomatoes this mature so early in the season. Eggplant is also starting to set fruits, unreal. Crazy acceleration from the hot-weather vegetables in the last 2 weeks.

Agreed. I only like it really because of swimming but it wouldn't be worth it without an AC. Although, we only have AC in the bedrooms, but that's really the only place I need it; for sleeping,

BTW I only like heat in the summer, which is when it should be hot. Temps in the 70s in fall or 50s in winter is horrible. It should be cold and snowy then. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I don't remember what the BOX p/c had late last night or early this morning, but at one point yesterday it had 95F for here (I clicked on Holden, MA). That was definitely too warm. I thought we'd be close to 90F, but even that was too warm as well. Not that I'm complaining. 87F is plenty warm enough for me.

Yup--no question of p-type with that. :arrowhead:

84.8/69

Agreed. I only like it really because of swimming but it wouldn't be worth it without an AC. Although, we only have AC in the bedrooms, but that's really the only place I need it; for sleeping,

BTW I only like heat in the summer, which is when it should be hot. Temps in the 70s in fall or 50s in winter is horrible. It should be cold and snowy then. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I grew up spending summers at our vacation house in the Poconos at 1500' elevation; my parents are there from late June-Labor Day since they are both teachers and have the time off. I always used to root for the heat in Wayne County since we're right on a beautiful lake, about 80 acres with no motorboats, one side all wilderness. The lake is ideal for swimming as it becomes warm enough for comfort but stays refreshing except during the biggest heat waves. Here's a picture:

July average there is 77/55, a far cry from the 85/65 which is our July average here in Dobbs Ferry. I started spending the summers back here when I was 18 and got offered a job as a sports journalist for a local newspaper, paid well and was a great resume builder, had to take it. Ever since then, I've spent every summer at our main residence here in the NYC suburbs, living alone at the house and working, except for last year when I had a job in Northern Montana. My first summer in NYC metro was 2006, and I was shocked by the heat and awful humidity. I still hate it to this day, although I have a successful vegetable garden which rewards me with lots of great squashes, peppers, heirloom tomatoes, lettuces, and eggplants in exchange for enduring the heat.

Looks like BOX rolled back temps here tomorrow. After tomorrow's 80's it's back to upper 60's and low 70's for days and days. Perhaps there will be a few more low 90's tomorrow for the favored locations but overall this so-called heat wave has fallen short of all the advance billing. AWT.

Sorry. After all the hype, a warm couple days.Yawn. Glad it's short lived as usual. Hoping to escape another summer without hitting 90.

I agree Pete upper 80s is pretty lame, tomorrow and thats it, two days of warm weather and dews are very tolerable, torch failure. This weekend looks downright chilly!, as do the next ten days, the june inferno is a fizzle.

I agree Pete upper 80s is pretty lame, tomorrow and thats it, two days of warm weather and dews are very tolerable, torch failure. This weekend looks downright chilly!, as do the next ten days, the june inferno is a fizzle.

AWT. But what do I know.lol Pretty easy to bet against heat here.

Spectacular cloud to cloud lightning show going on here. Seems to be about 10 miles south.

Chris, I was just messin' with you last night. Hope you have a good day off with the family. I'll actually be cutting out around 2pm for a school play my daughter is in. (you'll be familiar with this before long). Same awesome display underway here. Lingering rains have given us a great soaking. I won't have to water the garden in the morning.

Chris, I was just messin' with you last night. Hope you have a good day off with the family. I'll actually be cutting out around 2pm for a school play my daughter is in. (you'll be familiar with this before long). Same awesome display underway here. Lingering rains have given us a great soaking. I won't have to water the garden in the morning.

Finally some rain (and hail)

AWT. But what do I know.lol Pretty easy to bet against heat here.

You're not betting against heat. Upper 80s there is the same as mid 90s in the valleys. It's all relative to the climate. This ridiculous nonsense about how it isn't a torch is like saying that 45F is a cold day in January because it's a cold day for June...just doesn't make any sense. Sure, you're correct that it's short lived, but these are like +15 to +20 departures.

Bottom line: TORCH! For you, too.

You're not betting against heat. Upper 80s there is the same as mid 90s in the valleys. It's all relative to the climate. This ridiculous nonsense about how it isn't a torch is like saying that 45F is a cold day in January because it's a cold day for June...just doesn't make any sense. Sure, you're correct that it's short lived, but these are like +15 to +20 departures.

Bottom line: TORCH! For you, too.

:deadhorse: x 1000

Archived