• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Heat wave potential 6/8-6/10

weatherMA

manual outdoor labor Wednesday and Thursday FML!!!! lol, good thing i can play in the hose!!!

Are you still involved with the bug infestations? I've noticed that they have purple things in the trees scattered through (at least) western Franklin County. I wondered if that were part of an insect monitoring program. Or perhaps the western Mass version of crop circles.

Meanwhile, back to the forecasted heat. BOX has come down for the highs here. My point and click is now showing 87* for today, 86* for tomorrow (then 78, 71, 71 after that). The ZFP which typically performs well for me has today as "around 90" with upper 80's tomorrow.

Given some of the seemingly over-performing heat, I suspect I might break that 90 barrier. We'll see.

Right now, the Pit is the warmest place on the planet. Sitting at 69.3/60. What's up with that?????!!!

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you still involved with the bug infestations? I've noticed that they have purple things in the trees scattered through (at least) western Franklin County. I wondered if that were part of an insect monitoring program. Or perhaps the western Mass version of crop circles.

Meanwhile, back to the forecasted heat. BOX has come down for the highs here. My point and click is now showing 87* for today, 86* for tomorrow (then 78, 71, 71 after that). The ZFP which typically performs well for me has today as "around 90" with upper 80's tomorrow.

Given some of the seemingly over-performing heat, I suspect I might break that 90 barrier. We'll see.

Right now, the Pit is the warmest place on the planet. Sitting at 69.3/60. What's up with that?????!!!

those purple traps are for a different infestation...i want to say it's for the emerald ash borer...another invasive highly damaging insect...i'm part of the crew working to reforest the asian longhorned beetle damage zone in worcester county...not looking forward to lugging around 300lb root balls and digging holes in 100 degree heat and oppressive humidity...but ya gotta do what you gotta do...good thing i can play in the hose...dig a hole, spray myself down, etc, all day long!

those purple traps are for a different infestation...i want to say it's for the emerald ash borer...another invasive highly damaging insect...i'm part of the crew working to reforest the asian longhorned beetle damage zone in worcester county...not looking forward to lugging around 300lb root balls and digging holes in 100 degree heat and oppressive humidity...but ya gotta do what you gotta do...good thing i can play in the hose...dig a hole, spray myself down, etc, all day long!

Wet t-shirt contest in Worcester County today. :)

I hope the traps are to monitor rather than to erradicate. They are spread sporadically through the county.

You're a joke...no one should be forced to work outside in 100F heat all day. Excessive heat warnings should be in effect for all of SNE and NYC metro (OKX CWA) in my opinion...I think we're seeing widespread upper 90s-100F in this airmass with some humidity. Also, we have certain labor standards in this country...people are allowed to take a day off when they feel it is warranted. Heck, my mom takes off from teaching after watching the Oscars with her friends and drinking champagne...as long as you work hard when you're on the job, you're entitled to a day off once in a while, especially when it's extreme weather. Luckily I work in an air-conditioned school, so I don't have to worry about it too much.

If you think there's a 1000 people who would take your jobs, then go hire some illegals.

No, you're a joke. It's this mamby pamby attitiude that will be our demise. Maybe we should just take the whole summer off as it's likely to be hot. Maybe the guys in the Armed forces should just tell their commanders that it's just too hot to man their posts and when it cools off they'd be glad return. I'm not forcing anybody to work, they're free to stay home... permanently. We start at 7am, by noon we've clocked 5hrs. It won't be 100 degrees by noon. Somehow I've survived decades of working in every type of weather. Fortunately, my crew will be there regardless of the weather as they are not fragile flowers. I would never hire illegals as they are ILLEGAL. Also, that comment could be seen as a racist attitude leaking out. Better watch that. I'm out the door now to work, I'm sure it will be hot and unpleasant and I'm sure I'll survive. In fact, when I'm done I plan to walk 9 holes in the oppressive heat. BTW, trust me, in the building trades right now there are many unemployed, talented people that would gladly work in the beating sun. I'm happy to have lots of work and happy to report for duty whatever the weather. My god, if this is the attitude that's pervasive in the next generation we are doomed. Too hot to work, waaaaaa waaaa waaaa.

That's the spirit Diane. Drink lots of water and daydream about frostbite.lol

I hope the traps are to monitor rather than to erradicate. They are spread sporadically through the county.

This is a quote from someone on a snowmobile board so take it for what it's worth:

"I guess the builders of those triangular box traps tried different colors and found that purple attracted more EAB's than did red. The traps are coated with a very sticky glue and are hung in ash trees where the Emerald Ash Borer adult flies around the tree and gets stuck in the glue. The traps are scented with manuka oil to make them more attractive. Once the traps have been out for a while they'll be collected to determine if they caught any EAB's. If so they may look to control the EAB in a localized area. They say we could lose our ash trees if this bug takes off."

They are all over NY, and I saw them in Virginia a couple weeks ago.

No, you're a joke. It's this mamby pamby attitiude that will be our demise. Maybe we should just take the whole summer off as it's likely to be hot. Maybe the guys in the Armed forces should just tell their commanders that it's just too hot to man their posts and when it cools off they'd be glad return. I'm not forcing anybody to work, they're free to stay home... permanently. We start at 7am, by noon we've clocked 5hrs. It won't be 100 degrees by noon. Somehow I've survived decades of working in every type of weather. Fortunately, my crew will be there regardless of the weather as they are not fragile flowers. I would never hire illegals as they are ILLEGAL. Also, that comment could be seen as a racist attitude leaking out. Better watch that. I'm out the door now to work, I'm sure it will be hot and unpleasant and I'm sure I'll survive. In fact, when I'm done I plan to walk 9 holes in the oppressive heat. BTW, trust me, in the building trades right now there are many unemployed, talented people that would gladly work in the beating sun. I'm happy to have lots of work and happy to report for duty whatever the weather. My god, if this is the attitude that's pervasive in the next generation we are doomed. Too hot to work, waaaaaa waaaa waaaa.

I worked in the summer heat for about 5 years of my life. During the hot days, I took it easy and sometimes we went home early, but it was manageable.

It always happens in the hills first in WAA.. It's 69.7 here

It hasnt' seemed to have happened on any of the other meso sites--though I would guess that many of them are also on hills.. Looks like the map dropped me for the time being--probably ashamed of my warm temp.

Actually, I've ticked back to 69.3/62. Breeze feels nice out there though.

You're a joke...no one should be forced to work outside in 100F heat all day. Excessive heat warnings should be in effect for all of SNE and NYC metro (OKX CWA) in my opinion...I think we're seeing widespread upper 90s-100F in this airmass with some humidity. Also, we have certain labor standards in this country...people are allowed to take a day off when they feel it is warranted. Heck, my mom takes off from teaching after watching the Oscars with her friends and drinking champagne...as long as you work hard when you're on the job, you're entitled to a day off once in a while, especially when it's extreme weather. Luckily I work in an air-conditioned school, so I don't have to worry about it too much.

If you think there's a 1000 people who would take your jobs, then go hire some illegals.

I violently disagree here tubes, i drank a ton of water last night and was in bed by 9, woke up and drank another 32 oz. I have 15 lawns to cut in three days by hand, should I call my clients and say its too hot? Wa wa wa, nobody wants excuses, this country has gotten soft, drink water take your time and STFU. Grow a sack.:thumbsup:

I violently disagree here tubes, i drank a ton of water last night and was in bed by 9, woke up and drank another 32 oz. I have 15 lawns to cut in three days by hand, should I call my clients and say its too hot? Wa wa wa, nobody wants excuses, this country has gotten soft, drink water take your time and STFU. Grow a sack.:thumbsup:

yikes. you should get a lawnmower.

I'm afraid i started this whole debate. I'm in a unique situation that's more a guild than a hierarchy. The guy i work for would rather have us happy and focused and not have us heat stressed when people are paying tens of thousands of dollars for fine, dry fit stonework. If a job has to get done by a certain date then we push through the heat. If it's not urgent and shadeless than we bag the most miserable days. (maybe 4-5 per summer) Most European countries have 6-8 weeks vacation per year.

Who gives a bleep about work ethic? I know how to bust my azz when needed and if I choose not to get paid and have a day off it's my business period. My wife is the bigger bread winner so i have that luxury. :P

:sun:

I'm afraid i started this whole debate. I'm in a unique situation that's more a guild than a hierarchy. The guy i work for would rather have us happy and focused and not have us heat stressed when people are paying tens of thousands of dollars for fine, dry fit stonework. If a job has to get done by a certain date then we push through the heat. If it's not urgent and shadeless than we bag the most miserable days. (maybe 4-5 per summer) Most European countries have 6-8 weeks vacation per year.

Who gives a bleep about work ethic? I know how to bust my azz when needed and if I choose not to get paid and have a day off it's my business period. My wife is the bigger bread winner so i have that luxury. :P

:sun:

Well lucky you! As a small business owner I do not have that luxury, and the next two days really are not going to be that bad, at least down here, around 90 or so perfect summer weather.

This, times a thousand.

Im with litchfield libia on this one.. i have spent the past two days laying hundreds of yards of crush run over harvard business and sure its hot but the work has to be done.. we work 7am-5pm.. not a bs construction company who stands around with their dick in their hands.. im on a lucky break right now because operations are shut down for a fire alarm.. this work makes me hate people who wear suits

Im with litchfield libia on this one.. i have spent the past two days laying hundreds of yards of crush run over harvard business and sure its hot but the work has to be done.. we work 7am-5pm.. not a bs construction company who stands around with their dick in their hands.. im on a lucky break right now because operations are shut down for a fire alarm.. this work makes me hate people who wear suits

This is why you go to college and apply for internships

As you get older your disdain for the suits will slowly turn to pity for their trapped souls. :lol:

I love working outside even if some jobs can be grueling. Plus it's a workout while getting paid.

Exactly...great post. You are making mega-bucks anyway with working hard on fine masonry, so you can allow yourself one day off for the heat. Delicate work requires thought and care, something hard to achieve when it's 100F. And believe me, I'm no stranger to working in the heat...I gave tennis lessons in PA during the torrid summer of 2005, and I also worked in a kitchen in Montana last summer for 10 weeks, close to 50 hours a week. It got hot sometimes, and yes sometimes you have to put up with it. We would have days where it was 90-100F inside the back kitchens, more up front, and we would still have to churn out a full menu.

But in general, Americans' attitude of "work, work, work, despite the conditions" is getting a little ridiculous. Americans work far more hours than citizens of almost every other developed country, receiving only 3-4 weeks vacation time compared to the 6+ weeks that are common in Europe. A typical work week here is 40-45; in France, it's 35 hours as a maximum for most jobs. Our thirst for individual entrepeneurship has left us with poor labor standards, expectations to work in miserable conditions, and a stagnation of salaries in the working class. Taking 4-5 days for heat in the summer is not unreasonable for an American when you consider that even one week of "heat vacation" still puts you at 2-3 weeks less vacation time than most Europeans, with more hours being expected per week. As someone who's traveled a lot, I find the Protestant work ethic of America a bit supercilious and frankly unnecessary...in both Latin America and Europe, you work to live, not live to work as we do here.

And most importantly, it's your business. You make the calls. Other posters shouldn't be questioning it.

This is why you go to college and apply for internships

Exactly...this is why I finished college and am headed for grad school in the autumn. Don't want to be working manual labor my whole life, would rather be teaching languages. I work plenty hard when I have clients to tutor, when I give private lessons, etc. I think people are getting the wrong impression that I am against solid work ethic; I'm actually saying the opposite, that people who work hard should have the right to take a few of the most miserable days off.

I'm sure "by hand" means you use a trimmer/gas lawnmower for the edges and then sit in one of those machines that you drive around. That's how I see all the landscaping comapnies doing it these days.

"This country has gotten soft??" Americans work more hours per week and take less vacation time than any other western nation.

Luckily, my job right now is substitute teaching with tutoring on the side, so I work inside and don't have to consider the heat.

Can we take this scintilating debate to off topic... please...

Tubes, you might want to take a breather on this one.

Anyway, getting a bit warm...

KFIT up to 79/64 as of 8:52

Should easily hit mid 90s with hefty dews

Agree, this is way off topic. I just don't think people should be criticizing another poster for how he runs his business/work. I'm not the one calling people out for taking a day off when it's going to be dangerously hot. I'm done on this point, however.

Do you have your temp at your house? Is the elevation helping?

Dewpoints are really high right now but should mix out somewhat as WSW winds kick in and the sun angle increases throughout the morning. It's uncomfortably humid though right now, 78/69.

Suits? Don't hate....

The mesomap seems to be missing some data, including the station I usually look at at home.

One town over, though, in Westminster, they are at 82.6/48.2

I think their dewpoint is off by about 15 degrees lol

I have the kids in a computer lab right now, so it is good in here. My room is not too bad yet.

Yeah most of my school has AC...we're in a computer lab as well right now, so it's comfortable. I'm filling in for a media teacher so I think we're going to be in here most of the day luckily. Yesterday I had to teach 2nd graders how to write response paragraphs in a classroom with no air-con, although luckily it wasn't quite as warm. Going to be brutal in the elementary buildings today.

Archived