• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
June In Southern New England...............

Mr Torchey

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our best hope for today salvage-wise is that the triple point low that finally got by our longitude (currently can be seen as a weak gyre entering the coastal waters of the GOM) helps to induce an off-shore component. There is a weak trough axis subtended from it to a filling parent low over western Ontario. That may or may not show up in a streamline product that have higher resolution. Anyway, west of that winds should be variable between NW to SW, in front of it will have CAD plague at an anomalous time of year.

That high up over Greenland that has been nosing half way across the galaxy to ruin specifically our weather ... is still there and just using HPC's sfc analysis it is still actually trying to control our weather in the form of an inverted ridge now pointing at us more from the E then previously from the NE. That means more of a SE on-shore flow as opposed to a Maine drain. That could also help.

It is brighter out there comparatively... Yesterday was an awe, really - I thought street lamps were going to come on. To do that near the solstice takes some kind of crazy anomaly - call it the schits index and give it a +10SD. The headlines would read, "Greatest schit weather day of all time strikes New England - many spirits lost. Casualties still being counted! Extra extra, read all about it!"

Btw, not that anyone asks, this is starting to come off as the year without a summer - modern style. Not so much in the sense that it will snow on every month like that of yore. Not even because the temperatures will verify all that negative - Will and I were just pointing out that most climo sites are surprisingly only modestly negative or positive throughout the area. But....just because sensibly the weather for some reason of chance just will not cooperate when it counts. Like the walk after work; the toil in the garden; the family picnic in the park; the planned beach day - these are all being systemically violated by the worst weather relative to as imaginatively possible. All those ridge signals that abounded 2 days ago? gone - right back to the same old -NAO buckle appearance seemingly without having any physical cause beyond permutation, and though there is attempts at heat, you almost just get the sense via these seasonal trends that something will find a way to intercede and mute. June 1 was a penalty for getting 90/72 up this way ... like it is a no-no for this year.

Commiseration aside ... I don't even think this is normal relative to a La Nina summer - I thought those were hot? Maybe I ought to take another look.

I think the NAO is a hangover effect from the SSW, and also..possible MJO forcing. Weak have a very weak Nina signal now. AMO is weak as well. I just don't see something that sticks out and helps drive the pattern around. I think we are at the mercy of whatever perturbations there are flying around this globe...such as the MJO.

So what does that mean? Who knows. The NAO may slowly weaken, but a more +PNA seems to want to takes it's place in the form of ridging over western Canada. I guess in theory, that wouldn't be such a bad thing because it might help to form troughiness over the Great Lakes which would promote a warmer flow with the occasional fropa coming through, but if any ridging develops to our northeast, then it could mean some more of this stuff...only perhaps not as severe. I'm really just speculating at this point.

looked hot to me

For maybe a day or two? The point was, at least according to the longer range model concensus, there will be no extended heat .By D10 the Euro op has significant height falls and troughing again across E CA into NE. Looks good for thunder but not any real "heat wave" type pattern.

Since it's late June and there isn't much to talk about I figured I'd post this from the 06z GFS: For the sake of New Orleans, let's hope this doesn't come to fruition.

Yeah, that's quite a bit too far west. You want it about 100 mi east of that track. :popcorn:

Just got back from there myself as we had to go to Wal-mart for a kid's birthday gift. Was a little brighter than up here. Still some bits of mist/fog here but it's much improved from earlier.

56.8/55

Get ready for this, The Sun came out!!! Actually saw the thing with my own eyes. Temp has instantly responded 59/52, whew, if this keeps up we may hit 65!!

With the sun coming out and CAA aloft in the mid-levels this should help to steepen the mid level lapse rates some and with the heating low-level lapse rates should steepen as well. Could see some isolated storm; some strong, perhaps locally severe depending on how much heating we can get over the next 2-3 hours or so.

Get ready for this, The Sun came out!!! Actually saw the thing with my own eyes. Temp has instantly responded 59/52, whew, if this keeps up we may hit 65!!

I saw it too while I drove my duaghter to her party. Now it's just overcast. Temp has spiked now to 58.5/57. P/C has been reduced form 73 to 66. Not sure if we'll hit that, though it is only 1:30 so I don't want to speak too soon.

Archived