12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 21-22 Midwest & Great Lakes Severe Threat

SEMIweather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got an AP Mobile alert on my iPhone.... 89 people confirmed dead in Joplin, MO.

That is per city manager.unbelievable. Lets just hope was the some double counting or something... Press conference said 25-30 percent of the city was affected.

upgrade to moderate risk today likely in next outlook

http://www.spc.noaa..../md/md0882.html

mcd0882.gif

Hmmm, the moderate risk was there yesterday in the afternoon update of the day 2 outlook, granted it only covered Oklahoma. I'm not sure why they removed it.

EDIT: They didn't remove it, but it's further NE and fairly narrow cmopared to what they had yesterday.

Just got an AP Mobile alert on my iPhone.... 89 people confirmed dead in Joplin, MO.

Waco, and a couple of weeks later, Flint, almost 50 years ago, last two cities with 100+ fatalities in a single storm. I would have thought improved warnings and all, that would never happen agaim.

Waco, and a couple of weeks later, Flint, almost 50 years ago, last two cities with 100+ fatalities in a single storm. I would have thought improved warnings and all, that would never happen agaim.

i've always thought the other way, i'm surprised it hasn't happen more times in recent years. The population is so much larger now vs 1953 and there are some many more chances for a tornado to hit a location that has more than 100 people at a give time such as sporting events, traffic jammed freeways, etc. then 60 years ago i think it shows how much the warning system has improved over that course of time......or maybe we have just gotten really lucky?

To show how unlucky we've been, I scanned the records back to 1950 and couldn't find a shorter time interval between tornadoes producing at least 30 fatalities (not counting the same system that spills over into the next day). 1953 comes close with a 28 day gap, but we were only 25 days removed from 4/27 as of yesterday.

This post says it all for me concerning this year's tornado season. And while I am proud of what SPC does I am certainly reminded of their nickname as "the keepers of the gates of hell."

The next step in finding JOMO I believe would be to access the property tax records for the City (if they are available online) and find out the owners of the homes in the immediate neighborhood - and then go there from via Facebook or some other local contacts. i.e. Doug Heady.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0884.html

upgrade to moderate risk in another area today

mcd0884.gif

Looks we'll potentially be in for an active day around here. Impressed with the diligence on this board trying to figure out JoMo's situation, prayers that JoMo is ok, along with prayers for all those affected in Joplin. It'll be interesting to see what today brings-hopefully nothing like yesterday....

Well, we sure are due in northern Ohio, SE Michigan for some severe weather. Let's hope it doesn't bust again like the last moderate risk.

After what happened yesterday, I hope it is a complete and total bust, at least for tornadoes. I enjoy a good strong thunderstorm with some decent winds and some hail, etc. like anyone else, but let the tornadoes stay in the sparsely populated plains, where the stormtrackers can follow them, get the good videos, etc. as they harmlessly tear up cornfields or something. jmo

I hear they have tents setup outside the St. Johns Medical Center with some of the evacuated patients..That is a nasty looking MCS in it's beginning stages. IR/Vis loop look like a bomb went off with the overshooting top

A 60 mph, 62 mph and 1" hail report coming out of southeast Kansas so far

Archived