• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 21-22 Midwest & Great Lakes Severe Threat

SEMIweather

SGF is pretty stringent on assigning ratings, so I wouldn't say that just yet. In whatever case, this is an EF3+ for sure... very unfortunate it had to strike a big town.

And I agree with Hoosier... I think JoMo was in the tornado.

I guess we are down to hoping that he got missed by a vorticy. Just a bad situation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SGF is pretty stringent on assigning ratings, so I wouldn't say that just yet. In whatever case, this is an EF3+ for sure... very unfortunate it had to strike a big town.

And I agree with Hoosier... I think JoMo was in the tornado.

yeah but this is clearly an EF 4 tornado and some debate could be made for an EF 5 with some of the video I've seen....

I agree when I seen just that general area of 23rd my gut just sunk...

I'll have to look across the street, that's actually the neighbor to the NW. Jomo has a north facing house because he talked about it drifting so much. There's also a bird bath and wood fencing in his pics. This house is SE of the last one I posted, so the angle of taking pictures looking to the NW would be similar to his angle.

http://maps.google.c...1,0.008256&z=18

Here's what I've circled as JoMo's House. I've outlined with a black arrow the line of sight to photograph the neighbor's cars across the street with the black mailbox and one car nearly covered in snow.

post-5832-0-07878000-1306132237.jpg

Let's hope the coroner is wrong. When's the last time a tornado killed 100 in one town?

Sadly I think this number is probably going to end up coming to fruition as search and rescue workers continue combing through the devastation overnight and tomorrow. I think the fact that this tornado was rainwrapped made this all the more worse especially for people that may have been out and about. The severity of damage in these pictures coming from Joplin are absolutely stunning. The amount of damage to a large, sturdy structure such as that hospital alone suggests to me at least an EF-4 as per a very rough comparison of pictures to certain thresholds found HERE on SPC's site. But regardless of what EF number ends up getting crunched out for this tornado, it won't lessen the toll on lives that it has caused.

Photo gallery:

http://www.news-lead...2&Ref=PH&Item=0

Thoughts are also with JoMo as well as any of his family that might have been near the path of this.

Request for 20 body bags just went over the scanner for 20th and Conn. Ave. Largest business on that corner is a pre-school....unless they are using that area for a command post

--probably for the apartment complex...

That's where the "sheltering in the cooler" youtube video in post 869 was taken. They were in a Fastrip gas station on Conn. Ave 1 block south of 20th.

BTW, earlier I saw a video that turned north from 20th onto Indiana. Every house on the west side of Indiana (the only side shown) was intact. Lots of damage, many may end up being demolished, but the basic structure survived, so I'd guess there will be few or zero fatalities in that kind of damage. Hence while heavy damage may stretch N-S from 7th to 32nd, hopefully the area of fatalities is much narrower.

To show how unlucky we've been, I scanned the records back to 1950 and couldn't find a shorter time interval between tornadoes producing at least 30 fatalities (not counting the same system that spills over into the next day). 1953 comes close with a 28 day gap, but we were only 25 days removed from 4/27 as of yesterday.

Yeah, especially if we're right about that being his house, with there now being google map links to it, and an aerial view.

So, I DVR'd TWC earlier... I've got a huge 70" tv and I'm literally starting with when TWC was live at Cunningham Park (remember the swimming pool, tennis courts at the beginning of their live coverage?) looking at streets and reconciling what I'm looking at...

The spot we've pinpointed for JoMo is 1 mile west and a tiny nudge north of that pool.... that location is the Yellow Circle.

The blue circle is cunningham park. To the direct west (across the street) and fifty feet north of cunningham park, a bulding only sustained minor roof damage and trees have their leaves/bark. Immediately behind Cunningham Park (which would actually be directly East on a map, homes were standing. One nearest the southernmost edge of the cunningham park swimming pool has a tree into it, and those houses are the gold stars.

IF this prevails, a SW --> NE moving tornado would have passed about 500 yards to a half mile south of JoMo...

Where the man was looking for his neighbor that TWC featured often earlier, this location is about 200 yards south of Cunningham Park and about two hundred yards East of Cunningham Park. The devastation 'to the left' of the hospital shots they showed, really shows a pronounced damage path.

The track I've outlined assumes only the northernmost 1/4th of the damage path IMO of the Tornado, but I've not included the remaining 3/4th of the damage path I'm estimating because I want to highlight one thing:

To the North (about 100 yards) of cunningham park, buildings are standing, leaves are on trees...things look okay. To the south and east.... not so much. This leads me to believe Cunningham Park was on the extreme north/northEast end of a Powerful Tornado Track.

Since JoMo is directly one mile West (and about 100 yards north) of this location, a SW--> NE moving tornado could have spared our friend.

post-5832-0-09247500-1306135786.jpg

Tornado path map according to KOAM TV.

http://maps.google.c...2C0.209255&z=13

Iowa... I think they've posted this track too far north. I'm looking at the Cunningham Pool on TV with houses/trees around it... buildings around it.... go any closer to the hospital (which would be south) and it gets worse.

I think the 'Primary Damage Path' on their link should actually be noted as the northernmost edge.

God, I hope they've marked it wrong. It really didnt relate to what I saw after closely analyzing the video for about an hour... can't sleep...worried about this.

So, I DVR'd TWC earlier... I've got a huge 70" tv and I'm literally starting with when TWC was live at Cunningham Park (remember the swimming pool, tennis courts at the beginning of their live coverage?) looking at streets and reconciling what I'm looking at...

The spot we've pinpointed for JoMo is 1 mile west and a tiny nudge north of that pool.... that location is the Yellow Circle.

The blue circle is cunningham park. To the direct west (across the street) and fifty feet north of cunningham park, a bulding only sustained minor roof damage and trees have their leaves/bark. Immediately behind Cunningham Park (which would actually be directly East on a map, homes were standing. One nearest the southernmost edge of the cunningham park swimming pool has a tree into it, and those houses are the gold stars.

IF this prevails, a SW --> NE moving tornado would have passed about 500 yards to a half mile south of JoMo...

Where the man was looking for his neighbor that TWC featured often earlier, this location is about 200 yards south of Cunningham Park and about two hundred yards East of Cunningham Park. The devastation 'to the left' of the hospital shots they showed, really shows a pronounced damage path.

The track I've outlined assumes only the northernmost 1/4th of the damage path IMO of the Tornado, but I've not included the remaining 3/4th of the damage path I'm estimating because I want to highlight one thing:

To the North (about 100 yards) of cunningham park, buildings are standing, leaves are on trees...things look okay. To the south and east.... not so much. This leads me to believe Cunningham Park was on the extreme north/northEast end of a Powerful Tornado Track.

Since JoMo is directly one mile West (and about 100 yards north) of this location, a SW--> NE moving tornado could have spared our friend.

Agreed, I guess that's why that google maps damage path map is just an approximation. I think the radar returns had the tornado moving more ENE. I am not sure though as I was out storm spotting myself when the tornado hit Joplin, so didn't get an image from the exact time it occurred.

west 23rd st terrace in in the middle of that path...

Again, there are buildings/trees/leaves/ tons of things still standing north of that Cunningham Park sign.

This track cannot be correct. I'm 100% sure because I'm looking at the video. You can see in the horizon that some homes were spared directly due west of cunningham park. I'm looking at the video right now.

Again, there are buildings/trees/leaves/ tons of things still standing north of that Cunningham Park sign.

This track cannot be correct. I'm 100% sure because I'm looking at the video. You can see in the horizon that some homes were spared directly due west of cunningham park. I'm looking at the video right now.

Agreed, did anyone happen to capture a loop on radar of the movement of the couplet?

I thought I read earlier the storm was tracking from WNW to ESE? Correct me if I'm wrong.

As the morning rolls in, We should be getting out 1st ariel views of the tragedy in Joplin,MO.. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Nice job on finding jomo's location everyone. In case anyone missed it, here's jomo's last post on the board:

""Pitch black out, couplet nearly on me... Joplin, MO"

All we can do is pray/hope/wish that a fellow board member is safe, as well as everyone in that town.

The video of the people huddled in the store is spine chilling. Give's a different prespective than that of a chaser/ weather weenie usually sees.

Archived