Newest Member
    EWR757
May 21-22 Midwest & Great Lakes Severe Threat

SEMIweather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from the OT thread about mandated tornado shelters

:( I hope he made it to his neighbors. I take comfort knowing that he was fully aware that is was coming and was certainly knowledgeable about what it could do. Hopefully, he was able to find a safe place to ride it out. He and his family (along with everyone else in Joplin) will be in my thoughts.

I had a little fun here around 830pm...but I think we may have had someone in the general public report a scud cloud or something as a tornado/funnel cloud as I was out doing a local drive about and didn't see anything that remotely resembled what I would call a funnel cloud or tornado. So who knows.

Well there were the reports of funnels, the couplet on radar, and folks at the office spotted rotation on the ground at the airport. Totally possible that they were seeing a gustnado at the office, but the three things together I think forced their hand on the tornado warning.

Based on quick analysis of Google Earth and the new chopper video, if JoMo is on 23rd Terrace, he was just BARELY sideswiped, should be fine, and is just completely out of power, probably forever. (well, couple weeks)

This is what I was seeing when I looked at the recorded footage I have from TWC (over 6 hours yesterday) up close...really big... with a Microsoft Visual Earth comparison - for about an hour.

I tried to provide my estimate for the northernmost edge of the damage path, and I do not believe the 'central' damage path was as north as the Google Maps link provided earlier.

this may be rogers hills chase tour..several have British accents

they drive by the lowes store that got hit afterwards at 1:16

00:05 20th street looking west ..large black tornado up the road

00:23 good will

00:26 arbys

they seem to be driving south of Range line road looking west

much of the area in the beginning of the video got destroyed then(which wold be north of lowes)

Well, we sure are due in northern Ohio, SE Michigan for some severe weather. Let's hope it doesn't bust again like the last moderate risk.

Latest NAM looks good for you guys in NW Ohio.

It looks like that pre-frontal trough in Central Michigan and Northern Indiana will be the focus for convective development.

I beat ya by a minute lol. But you have the some different footage in yours. What is it with this guy and large violent tornadoes. Back in 1999 it was his footage of the Moore,Ok tornado that I always saw as well.

Ya he is veteran chaser for sure. I met him last year at our hotel on the morning of the Bowdle day (5/22) seems like a pretty good guy.

That's crazy

Basically nothing on the ground to a monstter wedge tornado in 10-15 seconds. Not a very knowledgable severe weather fan but doesn't it usually take longer for a tornado to expand? Also from the videos, it was a lot darker and the tornado was disguised fairly well even though it was huge.

Too bad none of those snow photos (Jomo) captured license plate numbers - could find out a bit more from those.

I'm pretty confident that the map that SluggerWx indicating JoMo's location is correct - the one on W 23rd St Terrace - based on his registered email address. Or at least his parents live at that location.

Archived