• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 21-22 Midwest & Great Lakes Severe Threat

SEMIweather

I have been a member for awhile, but this is my first post because I really don't know much about the weather. I just wanted to say that I will be keeping JoMo and everyone else in Joplin in my thoughts and prayers. You are an amazing group of people and JoMo is lucky to have friends as wonderful as all of you

I agree with this. Nice post Ethel975

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if you have seen this damage thing that Google Maps has, but if it's accurate, JoMO is most likely okay:

http://maps.google.c...6,0.181103&z=13

Edit:

The link above doesn't seem to really have the info. Try this instead:

Maps related to the recent tornadoes

Some good news. My thoughts and prayers go out to JoMo and all the other families that were affected by the tornado.

Nice to hear some good news coming out of this now about him....sounds like he should be OK.

Though I wonder what he will say...I know there are many of us, that if in his position, would be half tempted to run out and see what was happening....his story should be pretty amazing when he comes back on here.

Nice to hear some good news coming out of this now about him....sounds like he should be OK.

Though I wonder what he will say...I know there are many of us, that if in his position, would be half tempted to run out and see what was happening....his story should be pretty amazing when he comes back on here.

It will be a heck of a story. If his location is right, I have no doubt he was at least in the outer fringes of it.

Hopefully that is all he got of it.

The road to recovery will be long and difficult. It's such a tragedy for Joplin. I suspect most Joplin residents will know someone or know of someone who got hit. We've been focusing on JoMo, and rightly so, but I hope his family/friends are ok too.

I haven't seen anything about this, areas around Joplin have seen 10" of rain in 3 days. Wow. Cut them a break.

SGF

IN REGARDS TO FLOODING...FLASH FLOODING ACROSS FAR SOUTHWEST

MISSOURI AND SOUTHEAST KANSAS AND CONTINUES TO HOLD A BACKSEAT TO

THE TRAGIC EVENT IN JOPLIN. HOWEVER...FLASH FLOODING CONTINUES TO

CAUSE TRAVEL PROBLEMS AND THREATEN HOMES ACROSS FAR SOUTHWEST

MISSOURI...SPECIFICALLY LOCATIONS IN NEWTON AND MCDONALD COUNTIES

WHERE REPORTS OF FLOODED HOMES AND ROADWAYS HAVE BEGUN TO BE SENT

IN. TREMENDOUS AMOUNTS OF RAIN HAS FALLEN OVER THE PAST FEW

DAYS...WITH THE OFFICIAL NWS COOP OBSERVER IN ANDERSON MISSOURI

REPORTING A TOTAL OF 10 INCHES OVER THE PAST 3 DAYS...NOT COUNTING

RAINFALL PAST 6PM THIS EVENING. IF YOU LIVE ALONG OR NEAR

CREEKS...RIVERS...TABLE ROCK LAKE OR LAKE TANEYCOMO...PLEASE

REMAIN ALERT TO RISING WATER LEVELS. ALSO...IF YOU COME ACROSS A

FLOODED ROADWAY...DON NOT...FOR ANY REASON...MAKE AN ATTEMPT TO

CROSS IT.

Best news I've read all night just posted below...

Brenda Seidel I have a friend who lives about 1/2 up from Shifferdecker on 23 st terrace - she is on the south side and doesnt' have power, but the other side of the street does. She has no damage to her house, but some have minor damage.3 minutes ago

That's excellent news!

Well some good news, reports indicate they did not find any additional victims overnight. My guess is with better weather during the daylight hours today a 2nd sweep will be done.

Just said on the st louis news 8:25 Today show local update that Search and rescue efforts will end at 2PM, at that time it will go to looking for Bodies, News conference coming at 9AM, so lets hope that is right but not sure yet.

That's excellent news!

It looks like our initial research was close to being accurate despite the preliminary storm track actually showing this thing going right over JoMo's home - we thought something might be off with that prelim track and the tracks coming out now are more closely in line with what we were saw in TV with the initial coverage from TWC.

Nicely put, Beau and so true. Had Hurricane Carla never happened in my life experiences, I've often wondered if I'd be such a weather nerd. We've come along way from the old days on Eastern when the Western forum was fairly wide open and we recognized those that frequented that side of the board. JoMo was one of those that were very active. I'm glad we have a bit of 'good news' this morning in that regard. We've come along way since those days as a community and those early days.

Video of that tornado from WLFI's site. At the end it looks there's a car that just missed the path of it.

http://www.wlfi.com/...caught-on-video

Strangely enough the first thing on Skinner's mind wasn't running for cover."I just actually grabbed the camera for our own purpose. We just wanted to be able to see it again and it has kind of turned into a pretty big ordeal," said Skinner.

Skinner said half the city has seen the video of this twister - after she put it on Facebook.

She said she's been bitten by the weather chasing bug; next time a storm rolls in, she's grabbing her camera instead of trying to get away from it.

NWS offices sure love to hear about this...

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...CORRECTED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO

559 PM CDT TUE MAY 24 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0541 PM TORNADO JOPLIN 37.08N 94.51W

05/22/2011 F5 JASPER MO NWS STORM SURVEY

*** 122 FATAL, 750 INJ *** A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE

STORM SURVEY REVEALED THAT AN EF-5 TORNADO IMPACTED A

LARGE PORTION OF THE CITY OF JOPLIN. WIND SPEEDS WERE

ESTIMATED IN EXCESS OF 200 MPH. THE PATH WIDTH WAS

ESTIMATED AT THREE QUARTERS OF A MILE WIDE.

KSZ073-097-101-MOZ055>058-066>071-077>083-088>098-101>106-250445-...UPDATED

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO

559 PM CDT TUE MAY 24 2011

..EF-5 TORNADO CONFIRMED IN JOPLIN...

THE JOPLIN TORNADO HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN EF-5 TORNADO.

* DATE...22 MAY 2011

* MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF-5

* ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...IN EXCESS OF 200 MPH

* ESTIMATED PATH WIDTH...3/4 MILE

* FATALITIES...122

* INJURIES...750

* THIS PRELIMINARY INFORMATION WAS DETERMINED BY A NATIONAL

WEATHER SERVICE SURVEY TEAM AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE PENDING

FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT AND PUBLICATION IN NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE STORM DATA.

AN EF-5 TORNADO IMPACTED A LARGE PORTION OF THE CITY OF JOPLIN.

WIND SPEEDS WERE ESTIMATED IN EXCESS OF 200 MPH. THE PATH WIDTH

WAS ESTIMATED AT THREE QUARTERS OF A MILE WIDE.

FOR REFERENCE...THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES

INTO THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:

EF0...WIND SPEEDS 65 TO 85 MPH.

EF1...WIND SPEEDS 86 TO 110 MPH.

EF2...WIND SPEEDS 111 TO 135 MPH.

EF3...WIND SPEEDS 136 TO 165 MPH.

EF4...WIND SPEEDS 166 TO 200 MPH.

EF5...WIND SPEEDS GREATER THAN 200 MPH.

$$

WISE

Newer aerial video of Joplin.

At :14 the camera pulls out to show 32nd st and Shifferdecker Ave. In the distance is the intersection of 26th st and Schiffedecker Ave. Beyond that is the 23rd st. terrace area.

The video as a whole provides another glimpse at the scope of this thing (of course still not doing the reality justice).

Well....if we have his location correct, then he missed it...by only a couple hundred yards, and he may have some damage, but he got grazed, or was just outside of it.

Archived