joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 21-22 Midwest & Great Lakes Severe Threat

SEMIweather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the same guy who called the April 27 outbreak over when EF4s were still on the ground.

I don't believe a word he says most of the time. But, I can't believe hes live on national television saying "tornadoes with winds of 200 mph will hit this includes Springfield, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Louisville"

All this hype tomorrow will probably bust

Damage path is now layered over on the Jasper County, MO GIS website. It appears that there was an ever so slight northward jog in the damage path (could also be a case where there weren't as many structures in that southeast corner area). Clearly the worst thing was how wide this thing got, just as it approached the city itself.

http://beacon.schnei...D=1&PageID=1007

Actually passed the damage path of the Jasper County tornado on my way to work today. A lot of people outside the Farm Bureau were looking at the damage. Couldn't discern if it was employees or a survey team. The damage was VERY localized, though. Here we just had some pretty gusty winds that knocked out power for about 1.5 hours.

LOT put up this pic of the tornado as it was doing damage:

Clip.PNG

Hi guys. Southeastern States region is my main hangout on this board, but I check all the regions... and I've been thinking about JoMO. There is a missing persons and survivor Joplin Facebook page. I wonder if someone from your group could perhaps post a tiny bit of info about him, his neighborhood, etc., and see if they get a response. I know you don't want to say too much because of privacy concerns, but it might be a good way to find some news. I'm hoping so much that he is OK.

My linhttps://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=de440c535e8dff4d580c3d692f7d74c6#!/pages/Joplin-MO-Missing-Persons-Survivors-Page/228738860474393k

I don't believe a word he says most of the time. But, I can't believe hes live on national television saying "tornadoes with winds of 200 mph will hit this includes Springfield, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Louisville"

All this hype tomorrow will probably bust

I really, really don't think that Louisville is under the gun for F5 tornadoes for the next few days...

Damage path is now layered over on the Jasper County, MO GIS website. It appears that there was an ever so slight northward jog in the damage path (could also be a case where there weren't as many structures in that southeast corner area). Clearly the worst thing was how wide this thing got, just as it approached the city itself.

http://beacon.schnei...D=1&PageID=1007

Based on this map, if JoMo lives where we think he does, he would of been on the extreme NW edge of the path.

Also looks like the maximum path width is 8,116 feet.

West 23rd Street Terrace & Schlifferdecker.

To me it looks to be dam close to the edge but slightly out of the path.....a bit north.

Who knows which house though....each house S of W23rd appears to be in the path.....north of that....looks like it's not in the direct path. Were talking 250-500 feet or less..

I hope he/she is ok though.....

To me it's look to be dam close to the edge but slightly out of the path.....a bit north.

Who knows which house though....each house S of W23rd appears to be in the path.....north of that....looks like it's not in the direct path. Were talking 500 feet or less..

I hope he/she is ok though.....

West 23rd Terrace.... which is the one just south of 23rd itself is what we kinda described where he/she could be... it's close either way... all we can do is just wait, and hope.. he'll get to us sometime...

Talked to my Mom in Joplin about an hour ago. Not much to report that hasn't already been said. A couple first hand accounts to relay from her today. As most of you who have seen damage from something like this first hand know. TV and video shots do it no justice. She said in the damage path the scope will literally take your breath away. Some of the things that stuck with her where not so much the damage of the large buidings which was dramatic but, house after house where the rubble was no bigger than your fist. The random nature where block after block are leveled and then one house is left standing. She said everyone she saw today seemed to still be in shock. No crying almost a flippant attitude towards everything that was going on. There is still a strong oder of gas over parts of the city as of this afternoon. Lots of different words about weather the water is safe or not to drink. She was not very pleased when I told her to watch the weather closely the next couple days!

Based on this map, if JoMo lives where we think he does, he would of been on the extreme NW edge of the path.

Also looks like the maximum path width is 8,116 feet.

W23rd Street and what?

What's the closest intersection?

WAIT!...thought we were to delete all references to JoMo's residence for his privacy as past posters kept saying over and over....

Keep in mind that this is all public information on an Internet forum, but in this case, these are people who are genuinely concerned during a tragedy. I'm thinking he would be flattered by the

sincerity for his well-being.

Lulz at you guys thinking this is private information and anyone, such as myself, couldn't find your address.

West 23rd Street Terrace & Schlifferdecker.

Another plus is that the tornado might not of been at max strength yet as it was passing by, based on the path width size.

WAIT!...thought we were to delete all references to JoMo's residence for his privacy as past posters kept saying over and over....

Keep in mind that this is all public information on an Internet forum, but in this case, these are people who are genuinely concerned during a tragedy. I'm thinking he would be flattered by the

sincerity for his well-being.

Lulz at you guys thinking this is private information and anyone, such as myself, couldn't find your address.

I thought about that too but I don't think anyone said anything definitive. I plan on going back and deleting the references, but it is all publically available information anyways, and nobody has actually given any real private information such as an exact address, phone number, etc. But yes, we are all very genuinely concerned about JoMo, and I think JoMo when he does come onto the board might be pretty flattered as well by the support from the AmericanWx family.

...JOPLIN TORNADO GIVEN A PRELIMINARY HIGH END EF-4 RATING...

* DATE...22 MAY 2011

* BEGIN LOCATION...APPROXIMATELY 3 MILES SOUTHWEST OF JOPLIN

* END LOCATION...1 MILE SOUTHEAST OF DUQUESNE

* ESTIMATED BEGIN TIME...541 PM

* ESTIMATED END TIME...550 PM

* MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF-4

* ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...190-198 MPH

* ESTIMATED PATH WIDTH...3/4 OF A MILE

* PATH LENGTH...7 MILES

* FATALITIES...116 REPORTED AS OF 3 PM MONDAY

* INJURIES...400 REPORTED AS OF 3 PM MONDAY

* BEGIN LAT/LON...37.06 N / 94.57 W

* END LAT/LON...37.06 N / 94.39 W

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SURVEY TEAMS RATED THE TORNADO THAT KILLED

OVER 100 PEOPLE IN AND AROUND JOPLIN AS A HIGH END EF-4 TORNADO.

BASED UPON SURVEYS COMPLETED TODAY...MAXIMUM WINDS WERE ESTIMATED

BETWEEN 190 AND 198 MPH. THE TORNADO HAD A MAXIMUM WIDTH OF 3/4 TO

ONE MILE.

THE TORNADO INITIALLY TOUCHED DOWN AROUND 541 PM NEAR THE

INTERSECTION OF COUNTRY CLUB AND 32ND STREET. ADDITIONAL SURVEYS ARE

EXPECTED TO BE CONDUCTED TO FURTHER DEFINE THE STARTING POINT AND

INTENSITY AT THIS LOCATION.

DAMAGE BECAME MORE WIDESPREAD AS THE TORNADO CROSSED MAIDEN

LANE...CAUSING SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO NEARLY ALL WINDOWS ON THREE

SIDES OF ST JOHNS HOSPITAL AS WELL AS TO THE ROOF. THE TORNADO

FURTHER INTENSIFIED AS IT DESTROYED NUMEROUS HOMES AND BUSINESSES TO

THE EAST AND NORTH OF THE HOSPITAL. THE HIGHEST RATED DAMAGE IN

THIS AREA WAS TO A CHURCH SCHOOL THAT HAD ALL BUT A PORTION OF ITS

EXTERIOR WALLS DESTROYED AS WELL AS TO A NURSING HOME. WINDS IN

THAT AREA WERE ESTIMATED AT 160 TO 180 MPH.

THE TORNADO CONTINUED TO DESTROY OVER 100 HOMES BETWEEN 32ND AND

20TH STREETS. THREE STORY APARTMENT COMPLEXES HAD THE TOP TWO FLOORS

REMOVED...OTHER TWO STORY COMPLEXES WERE PARTIALLY LEVELED. A BANK

WAS TOTALLY DESTROYED WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE VAULT. A DILLONS

GROCERY STORE ALSO HAD SIGNIFICANT ROOF AND EXTERIOR WALL DAMAGE.

LASTLY...THE EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR WALLS OF A TECHNICAL SCHOOL...A

MORTAR AND REBAR REINFORCED CINDER BLOCK BUILDING...FAILED.

THE TORNADO CROSSED RANGELINE ROAD NEAR 20TH STREET. THE MOST

INTENSE DAMAGE WAS NOTED JUST EAST OF THIS INTERSECTION WHERE A HOME

DEPOT WAS DESTROYED BY AN ESTIMATED 190 TO NEARLY 200 MPH

WINDS. IN ADDITION...THE CUMMINS BUILDING...A CONCRETE BLOCK AND

HEAVY STEEL BUILDING...HAD ITS STEEL ROOF BEAMS COLLAPSE. SPORTS

ACADEMY AND THE WALMART ALSO SUFFERED SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE.

THE TORNADO CONTINUED TO MOVE EASTWARD ALONG AND SOUTH OF 20TH

STREET DESTROYING NUMEROUS WAREHOUSE STYLE FACILITIES AND RESIDENCES

THROUGH DUQUESNE ROAD. WINDS IN THIS AREA MAY ALSO APPROACH 200 MPH.

THE TORNADO CONTINUED TO DESTROYING NUMEROUS HOMES BEFORE WEAKENING

AS IT TURNED SOUTHEAST TOWARD INTERSTATE 44. SUBSEQUENT DAMAGE

SURVEYS WILL BE REQUIRED TO DETERMINE THE SCOPE OF ADDITIONAL

REPORTS ALONG AND SOUTHEAST OF THE INTERSECTION OF HIGHWAY 71 AND

INTERSTATE 44.

He said he didn't have a basement right? He was also still online pretty much before it hit... hard not to think the worst at this point

Yeah I remember reading that he didn't have a basement.

We are pretty confident about his location. Ground reports can be inaccurate but they should be in a position to know.

--- Not much more than we already knew - but I did post on there

Best news I've read all night just posted below...

Brenda Seidel I have a friend who lives about 1/2 up from Shifferdecker on 23 st terrace - she is on the south side and doesnt' have power, but the other side of the street does. She has no damage to her house, but some have minor damage.3 minutes ago

Best news I've read all night just posted below...

Brenda Seidel I have a friend who lives about 1/2 up from Shifferdecker on 23 st terrace - she is on the south side and doesnt' have power, but the other side of the street does. She has no damage to her house, but some have minor damage.3 minutes ago

Now that's more like it!

Hey guys, been following this thread. Hope that JOMO is OK and will be thinking of him.

Be heartened by the fact that he knew what was coming at him, and more than likely did everything he could to get himself, and his family to safety.

Also, don't fret about not hearing from him...probably his last priority is getting onto a message board right now if his house has been hit by a tornado.

The numbers, while terrible in Joplin, give him a much better chance of survival...keep your thoughts with him and his family, and everyone in that city.

Go this message from someone online

May 23 at 10:05pm Beau, I saw your question but was unable to respond, so decided to do it this way. Schifferdecker was NOT wiped out - the tornado touched down right past there and it was farther south than 23rd. So, I'm sure that whoever you have living there is okay - maybe without electricity, but that's minor compared to other options. Hope this helped!

Now that's the news I like to see... and if there's ANYONE that knows how to live well with no power it's JoMo with all the experience he has with the ice storms and the like..

I have been a member for awhile, but this is my first post because I really don't know much about the weather. I just wanted to say that I will be keeping JoMo and everyone else in Joplin in my thoughts and prayers. You are an amazing group of people and JoMo is lucky to have friends as wonderful as all of you

Archived