joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 21-22 Midwest & Great Lakes Severe Threat

SEMIweather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this sounds morbid.. but I was reading how debris could get picked up tens of thousands of feet into the air. Is it possible that people were picked up like that too and then thrown many miles away?

I would imagine that is small debris...paper, liscenses plates, stuff in that ilk.

Something as large as a person would not be carried miles and miles, I imagine.

I just can not believe how high the death toll is with this tornado, my prayers go out to SW MO, and I hope tomorrow doesn't look as bad as it could be for that area.

What shocked me was how high and quick the initial death tolls were announced at. Considering it's all but guaranteed to increase once there is enough time to search through the devastation for any survivors or otherwise. Not even 24 hours yet. Just crazy...

I think part of the reason it's so high beyond the fact it did hit a highly populated portion of the city, was just how extraordinarily fast the tornado went from nothing to a monstrous wedge right as it came into town. I don't think anyone could have seen it becoming that strong so fast. If it was that big before it entered town, the toll could have been lessened. BUT, I'm not blaming anyone for this. Having watched some of the videos from chasers, it was difficult to relay just how strong it had become with enough time for the town to be fully aware of how serious it really became.

Any names, addresses, or any other information not given to us by JoMo himself will be deleted. We understand the desire to make sure he is safe but we will draw the line on personal information like this.

Great call. I feel bad posting the map it could have possibly been found out at now. Note: I don't have any clue what it is since I haven't been doing much of the invest.

The one video showing its formation says it all. It went from nothing to a gigantic tornado within 30 seconds or so. The cloud motions were insane, craziest ive seen on a video. Epic tornado for sure, easily EF-4 or EF-5.

What shocked me was how high and quick the initial death tolls were announced at. Considering it's all but guaranteed to increase once there is enough time to search through the devastation for any survivors or otherwise. Not even 24 hours yet. Just crazy...

I think part of the reason it's so high beyond the fact it did hit a highly populated portion of the city, was just how extraordinarily fast the tornado went from nothing to a monstrous wedge right as it came into town. I don't think anyone could have seen it becoming that strong so fast. If it was that big before it entered town, the toll could have been lessened. BUT, I'm not blaming anyone for this. Having watched some of the videos from chasers, it was difficult to relay just how strong it had become with enough time for the town to be fully aware of how serious it really became.

Agreed, it was probably the worst case scenario. First it went from 0 to gigantic very quickly, two it was rain wrapped as well, and three the location of development was already very close to Joplin which didn't allow for it to be spotted much before it came into town.

Here is our account of the Topeka, KS tornado/supercell on May 21, 2011. We were on this storm from initiation in Emporia, KS and we documented the first funnel as well as several others. These were some of the eeriest funnels I've ever seen. We also caught the tornado briefly on the ground. You cannot see the ground in the video, but the confirmed report came at the exact same time and the structure makes it fairly obvious that it is a tornado on the ground. Enjoy. I will post some pics up later!

If NWS Chicago confirms a tornado in Jasper county Indiana, we will have had 2 Jasper counties hit in the same day. Sort of an odd coincidence.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

219 PM CDT MON MAY 23 2011 /319 PM EDT MON MAY 23 2011/

...PRELIMINARY STORM SURVEY RESULTS FROM 22 MAY 2011...

THREE TEAMS WENT OUT TO ASSESS STORM DAMAGE ACROSS THE COUNTY

WARNING AREA TODAY. THESE RESULTS ARE CONSIDERED PRELIMINARY AND A

MORE COMPREHENSIVE WRITEUP WILL BE AVAILABLE LATER THIS AFTERNOON

AND EVENING.

JASPER COUNTY:

** CONFIRMED EF1 TORNADO **

MAXIMUM RATING: EF1

PATH LENGTH: 1500-2000 FT

PATH WIDTH: 50-100 FT

ROAD...CROSSING HIGHWAY 231/NORTH MCKINLEY AVENUE

TIME: ESTIMATED 437 PM CDT (SUBJECT TO REFINEMENT)

WINNEBAGO COUNTY...ONGOING.

OGLE COUNTY...ONGOING.

Agreed, it was probably the worst case scenario. First it went from 0 to gigantic very quickly, two it was rain wrapped as well, and three the location of development was already very close to Joplin which didn't allow for it to be spotted much before it came into town.

At least it didn't hit at night...that probably would've made it even worse.

That makes it the deadliest since the Woodward, OK tornado of April 9, 1947, and currently the 9th deadliest on record in the US.

Saddest part is we are just now near 24 hours since it struck. Who knows where it will be in the coming days :(

Track was 6 miles long right? It may not be as bad as it sounds right now.

Track length doesn't matter much. A tornado can rapidly intensify, and looking at all the videos I've seen, it looks like that is exactly what happened. It went from a skinny multi-vortex to a large and destructive wedge just like that. 116 are confirmed dead. I think it is just as bad as it sounds.

I'm just curious, but how can they say the peak winds were 198 mph (EF4), as opposed to being 201 mph (EF5)? To a layperson, 3 mph doesn't seem to be a big leap and I was just wondering how they decide that the peak winds were 198 mph, but no higher.

The National Weather Service says a tornado that swept through Joplin, Mo., and killed at least 116 people packed winds up to 198 mph. The weather service's director, Jack Hayes, says the storm was given a preliminary label as an EF4 — the second-highest rating given to twisters. The rating is assigned to storms based on the damage they cause.Hayes said the storm had winds of 190 to 198 miles per hour. At times, the storm was three-quarters of a mile wide.

He says survey teams from the National Weather Service are on the scene and will make a final determination on the rating Tuesday.

http://www.ajc.com/n...-an-955263.html

I'm just curious, but how can they say the peak winds were 198 mph (EF4), as opposed to being 201 mph (EF5)? To a layperson, 3 mph doesn't seem to be a big leap and I was just wondering how they decide that the peak winds were 198 mph, but no higher.

A statement like this likely means that they are still in the process of surveying the most sturdy structures to see if they need to rate the tornado as EF5... but probably also to hint that it is already being considered. Another thing to remember.... is that they may be trying to get a very preliminary rating out there in time for the first afternoon newscasts.

Yeah I agree. Since that's just preliminary and only 3 mph away from EF5, I would not be surprised at all to see this upgraded to an EF5.

Archived