May 21-22 Midwest & Great Lakes Severe Threat

SEMIweather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scanner chatter::::

Call: "Anybody need body bags?" Response: "I'd certainly appreciate it."

and..

Request for 20 body bags just went over the scanner for 20th and Conn. Ave. Largest business on that corner is a pre-school....unless they are using that area for a command post

--probably for the apartment complex...

Prayers :(

Wow. That was awful.

It sounds like there was some kind of initial gust around the 2 minute mark. These guys sounded like they were going to stay in the main store area until that occured. Luckily they then moved into the freezer before what I suppose is the main tornado vortex a minute later, around the 3 minute mark.

That first little "warning" of wind which prompted the move probably saved their lives, or at least from serious injury.

You beat me to the punch, after a 45 minute search I found that and was about to post

Notice JoMo's neighbor across the street has a black 'flatter' mailbox... that's the missing link IMO from the earlier locations you found. If we find the mailbox and look across the street a couple houses, that's going to be JoMo's place.

Notice JoMo's neighbor across the street has a black 'flatter' mailbox... that's the missing link IMO from the earlier locations you found. If we find the mailbox and look across the street a couple houses, that's going to be JoMo's place.

Those streetviews are from 2009. But, anything is possible. Half those neighbourhoods in SW Joplin haven't been visited by the streetview team. That whole side of town is mostly the same style of construction too, so it's a pretty safe bet to assume that's where he is.

It's certainly disturbing that we haven't heard anything from JoMo since the tornado hit town. Hopefully it's due to a power outage or something. I'm sure at the least he's dealing with friends and family that were impacted by the tornado. Hope all is well. He's smart enough that I'm sure he got himself into a very secure location before the tornado hit. I'm optimistic that he's okay and is out helping others in the community at this point.

Not sure if this Joplin video has been posted but..

Not very many visuals but the audio is really scary...wow.

that was incredibly disturbing and i got chills..especially with the kids saying they love each other during the tornado..jesus

It's certainly disturbing that we haven't heard anything from JoMo since the tornado hit town. Hopefully it's due to a power outage or something. I'm sure at the least he's dealing with friends and family that were impacted by the tornado. Hope all is well. He's smart enough that I'm sure he got himself into a very secure location before the tornado hit. I'm optimistic that he's okay and is out helping others in the community at this point.

Yeah I think we have to give it time. I know if it were me I'd want to let you guys know but it wouldn't be my top priority.

I'll have to look across the street, that's actually the neighbor to the NW. Jomo has a north facing house because he talked about it drifting so much. There's also a bird bath and wood fencing in his pics. This house is SE of the last one I posted, so the angle of taking pictures looking to the NW would be similar to his angle.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=joplin,+mo&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=63.897228,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Joplin,+Jasper,+Missouri&layer=c&cbll=37.06683,-94.547907&panoid=bXGj_bysv2QMcmPF8Y46ww&cbp=12,164.96,,0,13.17&ll=37.066829,-94.54805&spn=0.004011,0.008256&z=18

Those streetviews are from 2009. But, anything is possible. Half those neighbourhoods in SW Joplin haven't been visited by the streetview team. That whole side of town is mostly the same style of construction too, so it's a pretty safe bet to assume that's where he is.

I found the exact house of the 'neighbor' with the black mailbox...it's the one with the red hybrid looking smaller car in the driveway on street view... So JoMo would be back a little bit and across the street...

Panned around and confirmed the house.

OP...great catch.

I noticed JoMo's was last 'active' about 10 minutes before his last post? Profile info and last post are different timestamps, and I figured it would be the other way around.

This is just absolutely sickening. I hope JoMo is ok. That is just utter devastation. I love tornadoes and the damage they produce but this year has made me very sick from fatalities, injuries , and property damage. That tornado in Joplin I 100% guarantee you will be rated at least EF4.

SGF is pretty stringent on assigning ratings, so I wouldn't say that just yet. In whatever case, this is an EF3+ for sure... very unfortunate it had to strike a big town.

And I agree with Hoosier... I think JoMo was in the tornado.

Yeah I think we have to give it time. I know if it were me I'd want to let you guys know but it wouldn't be my top priority.

Exactly. He's on the board a lot, but I'm sure priorities are concentrated on other stuff right now. With widespread power outages in the area it may be impossible for him to post updates even if he was unaffected. Many people still don't have mobile phones capable of accessing the internet, so he may be totally dependent on electricity to post on here.

Archived