joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 21-22 Midwest & Great Lakes Severe Threat

SEMIweather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

might want to balance concern for a fellow member against his right to privacy....jomo would likely appreciate all of the expressions of support and empathy, but maybe not so much the level of digging and granularity around his address and other personal information

what good would all of this do except satisfying a level of curiosity among those who are looking? casualty rates and probability would suggest jomo is ok, and if so he has a lot on his plate right now...if not, there is nothing anyone can do at this point.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MIZ076&warncounty=MIC163&firewxzone=MIZ076&local_place1=Detroit+MI&product1=Special+Weather+Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI

1153 AM EDT MON MAY 23 2011

MIZ069-070-075-076-231715-

MACOMB-OAKLAND-WASHTENAW-WAYNE-

1153 AM EDT MON MAY 23 2011

...SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT...

AT 1152 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF RAPIDLY DEVELOPING THUNDERSTORMS EXTENDING FROM 9 MILES

NORTHEAST OF MILFORD TO 4 MILES WEST OF ANN ARBOR...MOVING NORTHEAST

AT 45 MPH.

PEA SIZE HAIL...WINDS GREATER THAN 30 MPH...OCCASIONAL CLOUD TO

GROUND LIGHTNING...BRIEF HEAVY DOWNPOURS...ARE POSSIBLE WITH THESE

STORMS.

* THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR...

CLARKSTON AND WILLIS BY NOON EDT...

DIXBORO AND SALEM BY 1205 PM EDT...

OXFORD AND BELLEVILLE BY 1210 PM EDT...

ROMULUS AND FLAT ROCK BY 1215 PM EDT...

TAYLOR BY 1220 PM EDT...

TRENTON AND GROSSE ILE BY 1225 PM EDT...

WYANDOTTE AND DEARBORN BY 1230 PM EDT...

GUSTY WINDS MAY CAUSE SMALL OBJECTS SUCH AS TRASH BINS TO BLOW

AROUND. STAY AWAY FROM HIGH OBJECTS OUTDOORS SUCH AS TREES. SEEK

SHELTER IN A STURDY STRUCTURE UNTIL THESE STORMS HAVE PASSED.

$$

KEC

might want to balance concern for a fellow member against his right to privacy....jomo would likely appreciate all of the expressions of support and empathy, but maybe not so much the level of digging and granularity around his address and other personal information

what good would all of this do except satisfying a level of curiosity among those who are looking? casualty rates and probability would suggest jomo is ok, and if so he has a lot on his plate right now...if not, there is nothing anyone can do at this point.

Agree. Not many of us would appreciate this much personal info put out there all at once like this. It's a public forum.

Just saw the link with the owner's name. I agree...we've pretty much figured out what area he's in. Let's leave it at that.

I'm deleting all the photos and maps I posted after we confirm JoMo's whereabouts.

Just saw the link with the owner's name. I agree...we've pretty much figured out what area he's in. Let's leave it at that.

I'm deleting all the photos and maps I posted after we confirm JoMo's whereabouts.

They should be deleted now. Legal or not, it's a violation of his privacy.

Imagine your house being destroyed and a bunch of internet strangers had figured out where you lived and did everything but post your address and telephone number?

It's just common decency.

Imagine your house being destroyed and a bunch of internet strangers had figured out where you lived and did everything but post your address and telephone number?

It was a well intentioned mistake, concern for a board members well being.

At this point, probably deleting Google Earth maps of his place and the such would be a good idea, but I'd think PMing them to posters who either know him or live in SE Kansas/SW Missouri so they can check would be a good compromise.

agreed, a general area is good enough for me to know that if he was not hit he was VERY VERY close... Now lets wait for JoMo to get back in touch with us....

For legal and privacy issues, yes.

But the intent of trying to find out where he lived was to find out if his house was in the tornado path. Not saying that you are saying it wasn't, but the "search" was genuinely about the concern many share on this forum about JoMo's well being...then and now. Let's continue to hope for the best.

It was a well intentioned mistake, concern for a board members well being.

At this point, probably deleting Google Earth maps of his place and the such would be a good idea, but I'd think PMing them to posters who either know him or live in SE Kansas/SW Missouri so they can check would be a good compromise.

Oh I know it wasn't malicious. I just think that until we hear from JoMo any information like this should be kept private. If his house wasn't destroyed, it was very close to the path. Leave it at that until we hear otherwise.

Anybody can use Google Earth to find a neighborhood. It's sort of creepy and invasive but what things have become in today's world. Posting names/addresses etc. is definitely a step too far.

Many of Joplin's schools were heavily damaged in the Tornado. From the Joplin Globe:

Irving Elementary School is a complete loss.

Joplin High School has been destroyed.

The new East Middle School has been heavily damaged.

Franklin Technology Center has been destroyed.

Cecil Floyd has been damaged.

The central office building at 15th Street and Connecticut Avenue has been damaged as well.

St. Mary’s Catholic School has been heavily damaged.

over 60% of the City's students have been displaced.

I'm pretty confident that the map that SluggerWx indicating JoMo's location is correct - the one on W 23rd St Terrace - based on his registered email address. Or at least his parents live at that location.

Isn't there a way to get an IP address?

It's been 17 hours

snapback.png[/url]Ed Mahmoud, on 23 May 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

It was a well intentioned mistake, concern for a board members well being. At this point, probably deleting Google Earth maps of his place and the such would be a good idea, but I'd think PMing them to posters who either know him or live in SE Kansas/SW Missouri so they can check would be a good compromise.

Oh I know it wasn't malicious. I just think that until we hear from JoMo any information like this should be kept private. If his house wasn't destroyed, it was very close to the path. Leave it at that until we hear otherwise.

I agree with this sentiment. It's awesome that everyone has so much concern for him, but it might be best to delete the personal info.

Many of Joplin's schools were heavily damaged in the Tornado. From the Joplin Globe:

Irving Elementary School is a complete loss.

Joplin High School has been destroyed.

The new East Middle School has been heavily damaged.

Franklin Technology Center has been destroyed.

Cecil Floyd has been damaged.

The central office building at 15th Street and Connecticut Avenue has been damaged as well.

St. Mary’s Catholic School has been heavily damaged.

over 60% of the City's students have been displaced.

According to those maps...JoMo 2000-2500 ft west of Cecil Floyd Elementary

I agree with this sentiment. It's awesome that everyone has so much concern for him, but it might be best to delete the personal info.

Any names, addresses, or any other information not given to us by JoMo himself will be deleted. We understand the desire to make sure he is safe but we will draw the line on personal information like this.

Archived