Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April 15-16 Severe Weather threat

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess that kills any doubts in this not being a continuous and legitimate tornado outbreak.

Not necessarily. During the time that Tornado Watch 149 was in effect, I believe only 1 tornado touched down (and that was at the beginning of the watch's tenure). There was a decent lull this morning - which of course is why today was at bad as it was since it allowed the atmosphere to destabilize after yesterday's turnover.

Thank you! I was just about to post this! A truly surreal day! More details on the chase to come tomorrow.

Great job Jeremy :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to your recap as always :hug: Catching up, as I've been out most of the day, and it appears that most of the NC/SC crew has checked in safe, but there are still some that I haven't heard from yet. :( What an amazing system here in the southeast.......just unreal the size and duration of these storms today.

EDIT: I'll take the sprinkles I had earlier today and be happy with it.....one F5 in a lifetime is enough :lol:

Not necessarily. During the time that Tornado Watch 149 was in effect, I believe only 1 tornado touched down (and that was at the beginning of the watch's tenure). There was a decent lull this morning - which of course is why today was at bad as it was since it allowed the atmosphere to destabilize after yesterday's turnover.

Thanks.

I'm sure we'll see many case studies and papers on this over the next couple of weeks-months, so we'll have our answer eventually.

in the storm reports 24 fatalities but we don't have numbers yet from these locations

0705 PM TORNADO 1 SW CLAM 37.34N 76.55W

04/16/2011 GLOUCESTER VA EMERGENCY MNGR

3 HOUSES DAMAGED ON HUMMINGBIRD LN. UNCONFIRMED

FATALITIES. STORM SURVEY WILL BE CONDUCTED SUNDAY

MORNING.

0725 PM TORNADO POWELLSVILLE 36.22N 76.93W

04/16/2011 BERTIE NC FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

TORNADO SIGHTED BY FIRE DEPT NEAR ASKEWVILLE RD. POSSIBLE

FATALITIES.

however local media is reporting 3 fatalties in VA in the CLAM storm

Well it did skip a large area ( GA in particular), so I don't know if i would call it continuous.

I don't think you can say it skipped GA, there were reports of pretty large hail in parts of the ATL metro and elsewhere in the state. Just because there weren't tornadoes doesn't mean it was "business as usual" here.

I got a look at the Wilson, NC and Farmville, NC tornadoes yesterday. Missed a real money-shot chance in Wilson, but at least I didn't get skunked. I've seen tornadoes before out on the Great Plains, but never before in my home state. These were both within a few minutes of my house.

All the local TV stations stayed on the air for the entire event yesterday with some not doing commercial breaks or anything for 6 or 7 hours. On top of that the NWS offices were putting out the tornado warnings up to an hour in advance. When they issued my county and highlighted my location the couplet was still 50 miles to my SW. Fantastic job they did yesterday locally and it likely saved lives.

Very true about the national media coverage...I think the lightning striking the Empire State Building got more coverage than this entire outbreak, which supports my belief that if something doesn't happen in the northeast or California the national media could care less. I've got to say how impressed I was with all of the NWS offices in regard to coordination and watches/warnings for the most part. There were a few instances where cells looked like they should be warned sooner, but all in all considering the volume and severity of storms, a really outstanding job.

Also if it doesnt happen between 7 am and 7 pm on a weekday the national media tend to ignore things as well. They are loathe to leave shows the evening shows like O'Reilly and Spitzer to do severe weather coverage, and on the weekends they would rather run their financial shows. If it happens on the Friday and not saturday it would have gotten more coverage.

a litte bit of good news death toll lowered by 4 here, 10 not 14

0700 PM TORNADO ASKEWVILLE 36.11N 76.94W

04/16/2011 BERTIE NC EMERGENCY MNGR

*** 10 FATAL, 50 INJ *** NUMEROUS TREES DOWN. NUMEROUS

HOMES DAMAGED. NWS STORM SURVEY WILL BE CONDUCTED SUNDAY

MORNING. CORRECTED NUMBER OF FATALITIES

a litte bit of good news death toll lowered by 4 here, 10 not 14

0700 PM TORNADO ASKEWVILLE 36.11N 76.94W

04/16/2011 BERTIE NC EMERGENCY MNGR

*** 10 FATAL, 50 INJ *** NUMEROUS TREES DOWN. NUMEROUS

HOMES DAMAGED. NWS STORM SURVEY WILL BE CONDUCTED SUNDAY

MORNING. CORRECTED NUMBER OF FATALITIES