Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 15-16 Severe Weather threat

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys, Just got back from Spring Break vac. in the Florida Panhandle. Seems like NC took it on the chin to say the least. We were pretty fortunate as the coastal area didn't even get a drop of rain. We did get to see some of the damage in S AL first hand. Specifically the area N of Brewton,AL. NWS-Mobile has not surveyed this area as of yet. Damage was confined to a small area that we saw on Hwy 31. Saw some roofs lifted off a couple homes and one mobile home that a live oak split in half. One side was intact while the other was decimated. The most impressive thing had to be the trees. Some live oaks up to 30" in diameter were split in two while others looked like they had been made into toothpicks. Certianly not the havoc caused in NC. (Thoughts & Prayers for those affected and lost) But thought I would give an account from an area that doesn't get much coverage on the board. An amazing and widespread outbreak. Sounds like the forum was on top of it and saved some lives! Really a special place here. Don

Apparently the NC tornadoes were "a complete surprise" to NC residents... or maybe the warnings were just falling on deaf ears.

http://meteorologica...e-headline.html

You'd be surprised at how many people it did catch off guard. I was tweeting and posting updates on Facebook about the storm and received several comments from people in the Raleigh area who were completely unaware that they were even under a Tornado Warning. A lot of people these days don't even watch TV or listen to radio (I certainly don't). I suggested to these people that they needed to pick up an All-Hazards Radio to have around them so they could be warned about severe weather.

You'd be surprised at how many people it did catch off guard. I was tweeting and posting updates on Facebook about the storm and received several comments from people in the Raleigh area who were completely unaware that they were even under a Tornado Warning. A lot of people these days don't even watch TV or listen to radio (I certainly don't). I suggested to these people that they needed to pick up an All-Hazards Radio to have around them so they could be warned about severe weather.

Technically that could apply to all places without a tornado siren... there will always be SOME people caught by surprise. Fact of the matter is this system was well-forecast and it wasn't some crazy out-of-nowhere outbreak. The article headlines make it sound like this wasn't necessarily forecasted well.

Technically that could apply to all places without a tornado siren... there will always be SOME people caught by surprise. Fact of the matter is this system was well-forecast and it wasn't some crazy out-of-nowhere outbreak. The article headlines make it sound like this wasn't necessarily forecasted well.

From just personal experience I had friends and grown adults with children that laughed at me when I told them there was a tornado headed towards them. I mean, they just don't believe it...it's like they have to walk outside and see the funnel destroying their neighbor's house before they take cover. :rolleyes: It was forecasted perfectly by all involved, government, national news to local.

How long does it take to upgrade a tornado? You cannot tell me among the 100+ confirmed tornadoes the other day that not one was at least an EF4. If that is the case then I have lost my faith in the EF-scale. Almost about as subjective as the F-scale and among stringent politics on what the rating is going to be.

How long does it take to upgrade a tornado? You cannot tell me among the 100+ confirmed tornadoes the other day that not one was at least an EF4. If that is the case then I have lost my faith in the EF-scale. Almost about as subjective as the F-scale and among stringent politics on what the rating is going to be.

Dude you go through this mode every time. There has been very little evidence of >EF3 damage aside from Bertie Co, NC and Leakesville. No reason to pout the fact that there hasn't been a violent tornado.

(No offense intended of course - but IMO this was not a particularly violent outbreak - a very strong one, yes, but not a violent one like Super Tuesday - and the surveys will accurately depict that.)

Show us what images or video you have seen that would make any of the tornadoes an EF-4, then you might actually have an argument in the subject.

EDIT: And don't forget that you do need to factor things like structural integrity and building codes into the analysis.

Dude you go through this mode every time. There has been very little evidence of >EF3 damage aside from Bertie Co, NC and Leakesville. No reason to pout the fact that there hasn't been a violent tornado.

(No offense intended of course - but IMO this was not a particularly violent outbreak - a very strong one, yes, but not a violent one like Super Tuesday - and the surveys will accurately depict that.)

Because 13 EF3's. What does an EF5 look like on radar vs an EF3. Not much difference if anything. All the NWS thinks about is structural integrity if anything is just a teeny bit off it is automatically an EF3. Try not to blow up it makes me so mad that very few tornadoesd get rated EF4.

Because 13 EF3's. What does an EF5 look like on radar vs an EF3. Not much difference if anything. All the NWS thinks about is structural integrity if anything is just a teeny bit off it is automatically an EF3. Try not to blow up it makes me so mad that very few tornadoesd get rated EF4.

Ever seen velocity mode of a radar?

LOL! You have NO IDEA how it works. Leave the tornado rating to those who actually know how to properly survey and assess damage. You can have 10000 EF-3s and 0 EF-others if you want. Doesn't matter. I have yet to see any images or video that would definitively show EF-4+ damage from these tornadoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_2006_Tornado_Outbreak_Sequence

11 F-3 and only one F-4

I remember back in 2006 when there were all these conspiracy theories flying around message boards about the NWS not rating tornadoes F-4 or EF-4... Then 2007 happened.

Trust that the professionals are doing their jobs.

You quite simply have no idea what you are talking about. Politics is not factor into a rating a tornado... sorry to bust up your conspiracy theory. A lot of people from a lot of offices are putting in several 12-14 hour days to make sure these surveys are done right and that they are accurate. Your accusations are disrespectful and without merit.

Sadly there was another tornado related death yesterday. A friend of mine is a nurse and they had 2 patients that were flown in from surrounding areas. One died lastnight and the other is expected to recover but has numerous broken bones including both legs, pelvis, arm and shoulder.

Another person was seriously injured while handing out supplies when an older woman in her 70's hit the gas instead of the breaks and pinned the man between the delivery truck and her car. He is going to be ok but did suffer internal injuries.

You quite simply have no idea what you are talking about. Politics is not factor into a rating a tornado... sorry to bust up your conspiracy theory. A lot of people from a lot of offices are putting in several 12-14 hour days to make sure these surveys are done right and that they are accurate. Your accusations are disrespectful and without merit.

I am ok now. I just get a wild hair up my a** when there has been a long period without an EF4 tornado or had a very large tornado outbreak and no EF4 occured. The numbers and the letters mean a lot to me and in my mind. I dont mean to be disrespectful but a tornado getting an EF4 rating is like life to me. Sounds crazy I know but extended periods of time without a violent tornado drive me out of my mind.

I am ok now. I just get a wild hair up my a** when there has been a long period without an EF4 tornado or had a very large tornado outbreak and no EF4 occured. The numbers and the letters mean a lot to me and in my mind. I dont mean to be disrespectful but a tornado getting an EF4 rating is like life to me. Sounds crazy I know but extended periods of time without a violent tornado drive me out of my mind.

:weenie:

Archived