Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April 15-16 Severe Weather threat

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After looking back at what all has happened regarding our weather, I don't think I've ever seen such an outbreak of tornadoes like this. Throughout the years of my life, I've seen events that are miniature-like to this when super cells did develop but never at such an aggressive level. The damage is devastating, let alone the power of the storms themselves. You wouldn't randomly expect places like Raleigh to suddenly get smacked head on with a strong tornado, and I'm sure for most or all of us this will be a memory that can never be erased. I love severe weather and studied so much of it through the years, and as much as I enjoy such, I never like it when it gets out of control like today. It's very unfortunate to hear the death reports involved and I send my sympathy to the folks who lost their loved ones. This proves that Mother Nature always repeats something historic eventually and today was the decided date to do so, and always will have her way. I think modeling handled this pretty good for the most part getting the parameters down and such, but I don't think something comparable to the outbreak of 1984 could be predicted so easily. I'm sure we'll be seeing a case study typed up for this event and it deserves such considering the setup, time of year, extremity of the storms, etc. I seriously hope this never happens again anytime soon, for I do not think anyone would be ready for another round after having to clean up from the first. Thankfully, it's all over now and we can begin to relax a little since there doesn't seem to be indication of anymore severe weather for a while, at least across the Southeast. Around late next week we might have something on our hands again but too far out to really pinpoint exacts. We knew an active period was in the cards, and the resultants have proven that very well. From widespread wind to hail to tornado damage, it has been nothing short of amazing here. What a month this has been so far, and it's only mid-April on top of that.

By the way if you missed it earlier, here's a section of the afternoon coverage of the tornado as it was hitting Raleigh.

Is that accurate ? 14 fatal ?

WFO's generally do not put fatality numbers in LSR's unless they have confirmation from local government officials. Since it's in the LSR, I'd assume that they have verified that many. That may or may not be the final number. I've no clue, I'm not on the ground in that area.

Archived