• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

I awoke to the sound of sleet ticking off the metal roof and skylight over the bed. Now it's just rain with a fair bit of thunder and lightning. 36F.

Yeah they definitely thawed out quicker, I drove by the Lake today and only ice I saw was the pileup at Southern end in front of the beach and inn. It seems like just yesterday I was skating right across that crossover in your pic. Now I am looking forward to breaking out the canoe and enjoying all the waterways around here. Of course looks like yet another possible wintry mix tonight, guess we will have to get through that first.

What time did you go by the lake? I went by yesterday afternoon around 5:30 and didn't see any ice anywhere. Maybe the last of it went out during the day yesterday.....?

Although, I went straight up the east side and didn't go by the inn or the town beach so I may have missed the area that you saw.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hadn’t had a chance to finish off an update until now, but on Sunday evening we had another round of accumulating snow due to a burst of precipitation that popped up in our area. It was best described as granular/pellet snow, and seemed to fit in with some observations that the NWS had seen that evening and mentioned in their discussion:

PRECIPITATION MAINLY IN THE FORM OF RAIN ACROSS VERMONT AND VALLEYS OF NORTHERN NEW YORK DUE RELATIVELY MILD SURFACE AND LOW LEVEL TEMPS. HEAVIER SHOWERS HAVE PRODUCED SOME SNOW OR SNOW PELLETS AT TIMES HOWEVER.

Although I didn’t have time for a full update, I did grab a radar image, and you can really see that burst that exploded in our area where I-89 crosses the Chittenden/Washington county line; there were also a couple of similar bursts going on at the same time off to the south in Addison County:

17APR11A.gif

Anyway, with that accumulation, our totals for the weekend event ended at 0.6” Snow/0.82” L.E. to bring the snowfall to 196.8 inches on the season.

Unlike Saturday, it actually warmed up somewhat on Sunday and the sun started to come out in the afternoon, so I headed up to Bolton for some turns and can give an update on the snow in the high country. There was no snow at all down at the base of the Bolton Valley access road (340’), the first patches of snow started to appear at around 900’, and up at 1,500’ the snowpack wasn’t quite continuous, but it was getting close. I didn’t even head up to the main mountain because even down at Timberline the snow coverage is nearly complete on the trails, even the natural snow trails. Up above the mid station at ~2,250’ the snow wasn’t quite warmed to that prime corn state, but it was just about perfect below that point. The upper-elevation snow was being nicely preserved though. I’ve added a couple pictures from the outing below, and the rest are available in my April 17th report from Bolton.

17APR11C.jpg

17APR11D.jpg

I awoke to the sound of sleet ticking off the metal roof and skylight over the bed. Now it's just rain with a fair bit of thunder and lightning. 36F.

What time did you go by the lake? I went by yesterday afternoon around 5:30 and didn't see any ice anywhere. Maybe the last of it went out during the day yesterday.....?

Although, I went straight up the east side and didn't go by the inn or the town beach so I may have missed the area that you saw.

Certainly could be both of those possibilities, it was earlier in the afternoon when we drove by and it was definitely more towards the beach area where I saw the ice. It had looked more like ice that had shifted around and ended up down in that corner of the Lake.

Had some very cool purple looking lightning this morning on the drive in. Didn't seen any strikes as it was raining pretty good. There was a very close bright flash and bang while I was reading the ole rain gauge, I proceeded into the car pretty quickly :lightning:

Looks like a potent line of storms moving thru NH into western maine and will clip us here if it holds together

Wife reported pea size hail at the house with that line going through. Not sure here in Lebanon as I work in the basement of the hospital, but I did thought I heard a couple rumbles.

Wife reported pea size hail at the house with that line going through. Not sure here in Lebanon as I work in the basement of the hospital, but I did thought I heard a couple rumbles.

Yeah, There are some strong cells embedded in that line as there are numerous lighting strikes on radar, I would say you got hit there as well....

2nd TS went thru here (AUG) about noon, brief +RA with some solid-sounding impacts on the screens. 1st TS was stronger - more flash-booms, more RA, fair bit of IP (co-worker said it felt like #6 birdshot.) Wunderground has shown temps IMBY (actually, 1 town east, in Mercer) near 32 all day; might be some glazed trees on Mile Hill at 800', probably not at home at 385'. NW Maine has WSW for 6-10" thru tomorrow; that's fairly late-season for 6"+, even for them.

We left DEC at the right time - our family there spent much of last evening in the basement after the tornado sirens sounded - funnel sighted a few miles south, tree on house near their church, etc.

Nice snowstorm in progress for N ME. FVE is getting pounded.

36.8F and OVC here with very light patchy DZ.

Looks like Saturday morning 4/23 could be extremely cold in N ME, if skies can clear and the snow stays on the ground.

Maybe 15F?? If so, that's probably close to the coldest on record for so late in the season...

Yep, had some hail here too after I posted yesterday morning. What a morning--went from the sleet to rain, to thunder & lighting, some hail....all the while it was in the mid-30s.

In fact, it never got out of the 30s here--had a hight of 38F and it looks like another cool one today.

Believe it or not, still have 2" at the stake. Lots of bare yard though and with a couple days off, it's time to do some yard work and burn some piles.

There was no snow falling at the house this morning, nor was there any when I got to Burlington, but a little bit after 7:00 A.M. I was looking out to the east and noticed that Mansfield was enveloped in a huge snow cloud that stretched all the way down from the north. I also quickly noticed that it was snowing here in town as well. There seems to be more activity southward on the radar than what I’m seeing from my viewpoint here on the hill, but the precipitation does appear to be building southward since it just overtook Bolton Mountain and seems to be approaching the Winooski corridor.

21APR11A.gif

NOUS41 KCAR 211342

PNSCAR

MEZ001>006-010-011-015>017-029>032-220142-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME

942 AM EDT THU APR 21 2011

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24 HOURS

FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED

TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...CWOP OBSERVERS...SKYWARN

SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR

HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/CARIBOU

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

MAINE

...AROOSTOOK COUNTY...

MADAWASKA 1 WSW 9.5 915 AM 4/21

LILLE 5 SSE 8.0 502 AM 4/21

FORT KENT 1 SW 8.0 730 AM 4/21

SAINT FRANCIS 2 NE 7.5 835 AM 4/21

VAN BUREN 1 NNW 7.0 700 AM 4/21

LILLE 6.5 707 AM 4/21

GUERETTE 2 S 6.5 921 AM 4/21

CARIBOU 3 NNE 6.2 700 AM 4/21

CONNOR 6.1 749 AM 4/21

SOLDIER POND 5 NW 6.1 905 AM 4/21

ALLAGASH 1 ENE 6.0 636 AM 4/21

ESTCOURT 1 S 6.0 919 AM 4/21

EAGLE LAKE 6.0 835 AM 4/21

CARIBOU 1 N 5.9 800 AM 4/21

PORTAGE 2 N 5.2 752 AM 4/21

ASHLAND 3.5 912 AM 4/21

ASHLAND 2 SSE 2.3 549 AM 4/21

SAINT PAMPHILE 2 NW 1.0 720 AM 4/21

...PENOBSCOT COUNTY...

PATTEN 3 NW 1.8 645 AM 4/21

...PISCATAQUIS COUNTY...

CHAMBERLAIN LAKE 2.0 912 AM 4/21

GUILFORD 0.5 647 AM 4/21

...SOMERSET COUNTY...

SAINT AURELIE 1 W 5.0 723 AM 4/21

ST. JUSTE 1 SSW 4.5 725 AM 4/21

SAINT ZACHARIE 2.0 937 AM 4/21

Steady light to occasionally moderate snow's been falling for a couple hours now. Not sticking to anything...even the old snow, but it's snowing nonetheless.

Go B's indeed! Let's take two, sacrebleu!

Ole, ole, ole ole......

We have had off and on flurries here, but I just noticed that Bald Top and surrounding hills in Fairlee have completely disappeared behind a blanket of white. We will see if that makes its way across the river.

Would be great to tie up the series!!!

It's been snow flurrying off and on all morning here west northwest of Albany in the hills. Temps fluctuate (based on cloud cover) from about 34 to 38.... Certainly well below normal for late April. I think from here to more likely Northern NE that event may come in frozen on Saturday.

A little light snow up this way this morning. It has given a quarter to half a trace to some of the cooler patches of grass. It is still flurrying even down here in St. J.

Archived