• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

Well, with the last snow storm now past us, I figured it was time for a general spring time obs & banter thread for northern New England.

It's dropped back to 38F but it was up to 44F just a little while ago and spitting snow! That might be the warmest that I've ever seen snow falling at.

Dropping fast, 37F now as I type and snowing.

Go!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thermo reads 56.3F but all the nearby PWSs are like 48F. At any rate, it's a warm one but it isn't bothering me - it's April. As it is, I'll have snow otg longer than normal, which is something like the third week of this month.

When the sun comes out today, the temps surge.

Snow over now, sun back out. Just popcorn stuff looking at the radar.

Headed out now..........

It didn't take long today for our whopping 1/2"-1" to disappear today. It precipitated for 18 hours during that storm yesterday (steady light snow all day yesterday that refused to stick below 1,000ft) and we took away less than an inch down in the village from that 18 hours of snow.

Luckily there's still a good bit of snow on the ground outside of south-facing and sun-torched areas. Still looks like two feet in shaded and north facing areas... I can't even really come up with a true snow pack number right now because its so variable. Its literally like 0" to 24" or more (maybe even 30" a little up the road at 1,000ft in north facing forests).

Up at 1,500ft the Barnes Camp snow stake is at 33" and that is in a flat area that neither faces north or south, so its a good "average" depth for the 1,500ft elevation in this area.

Up at 3,000ft the High Road snow stake is at 67"... 3,700ft Mansfield co-op stake was 97" yesterday afternoon. Snowpack increases rapidly with elevation.

I see Cole's Pond out in Walden at over 2,000ft was back up to 42" this morning on the BTV co-op report. That's a nice snowpack to enter April with haha.

. Its literally like 0" to 24" or more (maybe even 30" a little up the road at 1,000ft in north facing forests).

Yeah, Powderfreak that is the problem this time of year with measuring the snowpack. My SW pasture is still snow covered after yesterdays 7" but by tomorrowthey will be mostly bare. In the woods the snowdepthwill still be 12-18" so how do you measure? In April I think it's more accurate to give an average snow depth and then come up with how much landscape is still snow covered in a percent. The day before yesterday I had to drive down to Mass. We were around 90% snow covered, Concord NH was about 40% snowcovered and the percent seemed to drop down to 0% just past the Mass boarder.

Gene

It didn't take long today for our whopping 1/2"-1" to disappear today. It precipitated for 18 hours during that storm yesterday (steady light snow all day yesterday that refused to stick below 1,000ft) and we took away less than an inch down in the village from that 18 hours of snow.

Luckily there's still a good bit of snow on the ground outside of south-facing and sun-torched areas. Still looks like two feet in shaded and north facing areas... I can't even really come up with a true snow pack number right now because its so variable. Its literally like 0" to 24" or more (maybe even 30" a little up the road at 1,000ft in north facing forests).

Up at 1,500ft the Barnes Camp snow stake is at 33" and that is in a flat area that neither faces north or south, so its a good "average" depth for the 1,500ft elevation in this area.

Up at 3,000ft the High Road snow stake is at 67"... 3,700ft Mansfield co-op stake was 97" yesterday afternoon. Snowpack increases rapidly with elevation.

I see Cole's Pond out in Walden at over 2,000ft was back up to 42" this morning on the BTV co-op report. That's a nice snowpack to enter April with haha.

My 8" from Thurs/Friday is almost all gone.

When is Stowe open until? Know any other dates?

Great shot wxeyeNH. Same sort of thing here today. Low/mid 40s and graupelish snow showers. Go figure.

Pretty nice day all-in-all though--got out on the snow and enjoyed it.

Our fresh snow from yesterday is all but gone here too. There's still a residual soft layer on the top of the old snow pack but anywhere that was clear of snow before the storm, is clear once again.

Back down to 30F now. Mud firming up.

borderWX--headed to Burke tomorrow. Look for a long-haired fellow, black Alpine pack and 80s Dynamic slalom skis, yo.

There's a great snowpack in the high elevations; Bolton has decided to extend their season thanks to all the snow. We were up today for some turns, and we generally found 6" to 8" of snow in the higher elevations around 3,000', with about 4" down at 1,500'. Even though the storm pulled east and didn't really hit us hard here, it was more than enough for some great skiing. The sun wanted to work the powder when the snow and clouds pulled away, but there was a cool breeze that was definitely fighting that in the higher elevations. I added a few shots from the day below, and the rest of the details and pictures are at our website.

02APR11E.jpg

02APR11M.jpg

02APR11N.jpg

No snowfall seen in CON yesterday (by me, anyway), but as we left at about 4P there was a dark, snow-puking cloud to the SE. 44/26 IMBY settled the snow depth by 6",m to 19" this morning. Must've been milder in CON; they had less from the storm, but by 4 PM it was all gone except for a few patches northside of evergreens (and some older leftovers.)

Hope we get a little bit tomorrow morning. The final 0.1" overnight into yesterday brought my total to a VERY suspicious looking 100.0", with 15.1" storm total. I'll be interested in what Farmington measured Friday. hey've had storms up to 20" in April, but their largest calendar-day total is 14", matched about five times. I'm guessing Sheriff Pike (the COOP observer) recorded more than that.

No snowfall seen in CON yesterday (by me, anyway), but as we left at about 4P there was a dark, snow-puking cloud to the SE. 44/26 IMBY settled the snow depth by 6",m to 19" this morning. Must've been milder in CON; they had less from the storm, but by 4 PM it was all gone except for a few patches northside of evergreens (and some older leftovers.)

Hope we get a little bit tomorrow morning. The final 0.1" overnight into yesterday brought my total to a VERY suspicious looking 100.0", with 15.1" storm total. I'll be interested in what Farmington measured Friday. hey've had storms up to 20" in April, but their largest calendar-day total is 14", matched about five times. I'm guessing Sheriff Pike (the COOP observer) recorded more than that.

Congrats on the 100", even if suspicious looking ;)

06z nam giving dendrite 3-5" of snow by noon monday.

It's better than a cold rain. 12z cut way back though.

This spring sucks.

I've been quietly sobbing as I look at what we were enjoying this time last year. I had pretty much all my yard work and garden prep done by now. :cry:

Last year: hi/low

April 1: 65 / 39

April 2: 74 / 37

April 3: 80 / 41

April 4: 72 / 50

April 5: 71 / 38

April 6: 60 / 45

April 7: 83 / 42

I'm ready for the 80s. The 83.7F on 4/10 last year was great. Unfortunately it didn't get very warm after that until we got into May. I'd like to see a mid-late Apr warmup flirting to near 90F.

Great shot wxeyeNH. Same sort of thing here today. Low/mid 40s and graupelish snow showers. Go figure.

Pretty nice day all-in-all though--got out on the snow and enjoyed it.

Our fresh snow from yesterday is all but gone here too. There's still a residual soft layer on the top of the old snow pack but anywhere that was clear of snow before the storm, is clear once again.

Back down to 30F now. Mud firming up.

borderWX--headed to Burke tomorrow. Look for a long-haired fellow, black Alpine pack and 80s Dynamic slalom skis, yo.

imagine you had a great day - got stranded at the base, the quad went down before I had a chance to get higher.

Is it really April.

Just an observation, but it seems like the months are confused a lot lately, Oct and Nov have been reversed the past couple years, March and April have been confused - not complaining, just seems strange to keep grabbing skis and skiing great snow without even looking at the bike yet

wonder how the garlic is doing under the 20" of glacier still on top of it

imagine you had a great day - got stranded at the base, the quad went down before I had a chance to get higher.

Yeah, it was a terrific day of skiing...and we saw that the lower lift was shut down. They kept the main quad open till 4:30 too which was nice.

The only hitch was that when my wife and I were heading down Mountain Rd near the academy, a dude decided it would be fun to try to make a left hand turn onto Pinkham Rd through my moving truck. :arrowhead:

We're ok, the dog's ok and the other guy is fine but my truck is pretty stove-up. Pain in the arse. He hit me on the driver's side door and slid along that side till the nose of his car fetched up on the bracket/shackle that bolts the leaf-springs to the frame, ripping that from the frame, resulting in the rear axle being at a very odd angle to the rest of the truck. He was driving a little Ford Focus and my truck is tall enough that he went right underneath the body of the truck. Fun times ahead--insurance, rentals, mechanics, the works. Almost hoping they total it. I wanted a new truck anyway. ;)

Anyway, quite the red-sky-in-morinng sunrise just a bit ago. 29F. Show me some snow!

Yeah, it was a terrific day of skiing...and we saw that the lower lift was shut down. They kept the main quad open till 4:30 too which was nice.

The only hitch was that when my wife and I were heading down Mountain Rd near the academy, a dude decided it would be fun to try to make a left hand turn onto Pinkham Rd through my moving truck. :arrowhead:

We're ok, the dog's ok and the other guy is fine but my truck is pretty stove-up. Pain in the arse. He hit me on the driver's side door and slid along that side till the nose of his car fetched up on the bracket/shackle that bolts the leaf-springs to the frame, ripping that from the frame, resulting in the rear axle being at a very odd angle to the rest of the truck. He was driving a little Ford Focus and my truck is tall enough that he went right underneath the body of the truck. Fun times ahead--insurance, rentals, mechanics, the works. Almost hoping they total it. I wanted a new truck anyway. ;)

Anyway, quite the red-sky-in-morinng sunrise just a bit ago. 29F. Show me some snow!

Ditto here at the mountain... I wasn't paying attention but heard the groomers talking about the red sky on the radio. So I headed outside and got some good sunrise shots of the blood red sky this morning. Very ominous looking.

We have 25F at 3,600ft and 29F at 1,500ft. Dew points are generally in the upper teens so this air is dry.

Oh man, not a way to end a beautiful spring day. Raincheck for skiing this Sat? pending weather.

and that was an amazing sunrise this morning - could almost reach out and touch the sky it seemed - 44 deer in the lower fields this morning, everyone looks pretty healthy.

I've never seen anything close to that number all at once up here... I've seen 20-25 in some of the fields around here, but 44 is impressive!

And speaking of the skiing... high elevation and north facing terrain remains in mid-winter form. Dry, cold powder and chalky wind-buff. Anything facing south (all elevations) and east is quite firm this morning from setting up after yesterday's warmth/sun.

Some shots from yesterday... Preparing to drop in on stuff that is only skiable with this type of snowpack... the technical, cliffy, and steep terrain of Mansfield's Kitchen Wall.

IMG_4628_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4639_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4643_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4651_edited-3.jpg

Even inbounds on the cruiser trails, snow was soft, sun was strong, and temperatures seasonably mild in the low 40s... doesn't get much better in early April with tons of snowpack left from the village to the summit.

IMG_4665_edited-1.jpg

No, not a good way to end an awsome day of skiing. Sh*t happens, I reckon.

OK, here's what I saw when I opened my eyes this morning. Bam!

Here's what I saw when I opened my eyes.

black-square.jpg

(I get up at ~4:30)

Looks like some flakes may be in the air, albeit briefly here. Good luck to the west where you may see some accumulation.

We are getting very close to snow now at 1,500ft... all surrounding terrain now has that blurred, wispy look to it starting at 2,000ft and higher. Snowflakes are making it down to within a few hundred feet of the base now.

It looks like we should see a nice burst of moderate snow in a bit here as these bands move in.

OK, here's what I saw when I opened my eyes this morning. Bam!

Spectacular colors! And your exclamation just happens to be the initials of our new grandson, born 1:50 CST this morning by emergency C-section. Mom & young'un doing okay, and we're headed out starting tomorrow morning to help with the 3 girls etc, 1,300 miles over 2 days. Decatur (IL) had 83 yesterday, with 52 mph gust at the airport - family lives less than a mile from there. Lots of 60s-low 70s (and convection) progged for there over the next 10 days.

Temp slid just under 20 this morning IMBY, with too few clouds to color the sunrise, though they've thicked up since. Still 17" at the stake, 4" more than when Friday snow began but settled fast in mid-40s April sun over the weekend. 06z gfs not optimistic about any accum snow for MBY - precip starts too late for best chance. After that, looks like mostly seasonable wx for a while, no big warmth or cold unless we get significant sun in tomorrow's warm sector - doubtful for the foothills.

And while I'm posting pictures and such, here are some photos from yesterday down in the Village at 750-800ft. Beautiful April day but mud season is really going to take hold now that the cold pattern is on its way out. Snowpack remains fairly healthy right down to the river (lowest elevation in town).

The mud is only going to get worse. Gotta love puddles and mud on a sunny day... can't wait to see what the neighborhood looks like after this upcoming rain.

IMG_4685_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4675_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4692_edited-1.jpg

Snowpack is still hanging in there between 12-24".

IMG_4695_edited-1.jpg

Even open fields are hanging in there.

IMG_4683_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4689_edited-1.jpg

Of course, shaded north-facing areas still have 30" of rock solid snow (I can walk on this stuff even though it was 40F out).

IMG_4694_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4693_edited-1.jpg

Archived