Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a picture of the stake just for Ray... lol

We got more snow out of this "rain storm" than the last Winter Storm Warning...

After morning sun, we've had another 1" this afternoon in snow squalls and it is still snowing. Winter will not go down without a fight, a very strong fight.

You NNE folks all stink :P

I am so jealous. Why do I live in SNE... why???

One day I will move. Too many people, not enough snow, and I live in a small town in the "hills"

This is why I sold my business and house in the Boston area and moved to a house at 1100 feet in the Plymouth NH area back in 2001. Instead of worrying about coastal fronts I now enjoy 100" snow winters. Best thing I ever did was move up here! Today was just crazy with 2" of snow in 1 hour. I was 32/33F and Concord NH 40 miles south was 52F.

Congrats those who saw snow. That 100" at the stake is impressive. Maybe you can bury that stake one year. It will be neat to see the progression of depth downward for that 3700 ft location over the next month or two. Yes....even that will melt at some point.

That it will. Usually takes a little while though, haha. Some years well into June before it disappears. Here's a photo from 1997 when the stake depth was 48" on May 31st. That's not a bad snowpack for after Memorial Day. And look at how much deeper the snow is up there right now just below the 9 foot mark. That much snow really changes the landscape.

stake2.jpeg

Yeah, its been a good winter. Here's the graph for this year's depth relative to the 60-year normal.

Interesting graph. When does your valley location typically lose the last of the snow? My last pile is usually gone by the third week of April. Seems like this year will be no different.

Yeah that sounds about right for 800ft in the valley... I could definitely see the last snow piles in town melting around that time. Snow cover is patchy now but its wierd because where there is snow, its still surprisingly deep. It seems that its either decent snow on the ground or no snow at all right now depending on all the factors that go into snow melt.

The mountain this time of year is still accumulating snow as you can tell by the graph... but the average date of max depth is around March 15th. However that can be deceiving because there's usually a period of time in late March when it finally gets warm enough at 3,700ft to start the melting process... then there's almost always a resurgence in snow depth from more snow storms in April. Its amazing how the average depth plot has that second maximum of depth sometime in April... you can almost bank on that last snowstorm (or cold pattern/series of snowfalls) in April. This March and so far in April has remained cold and snowy at all elevations, so the stake depth just continues to steadily move upward.

This time of year though is when elevation matters so much and the stake is a good indicator of that. The valley's are losing snowpack slowly but steadily while the upper elevations continue to build depth.

Another good thing that helped build a big snowpack (I mean if the town is able to hit 40", its no surprise the summit has as much as it does) is the lack of big thaws. Every thaw we had either started with snowfall or ended with snowfall (sometimes big snowfall like the 28" in early March, and even the 8" yesterday) and that really reduces the impact of a rain storm. Growing up down in Albany, when you get thaws you rarely get snow behind them. Up here its much different... you almost always get snow immediately after the thaw, at least 2-3" of upslope during the cold air advection on NW winds. I think that's the biggest difference I've noticed in the past 7 years in Vermont vs my 18 years in Albany. It is very, very rare to go longer than 48 hours after a thaw without a snowfall. This keeps things looking wintry, fresh, and we don't stare at dirty snowbanks for very long when it rains in January because even a cold frontal passage results in a few inches of snow.

Added 1/2" of snow to the seasonal total yesterday--just for good measure. Might be about it for the season, but, that being said, with the way this winter has gone, we just may squeak out a little more. Now at 118.4" for the season. 120" would be nice. :mellow:

Interesting graph. When does your valley location typically lose the last of the snow? My last pile is usually gone by the third week of April. Seems like this year will be no different.

It certainly depends on the year, but on the whole, the last of the snowpack outside of isolated spots in cold, shady hollows in gone by the middle of April, if not sooner. It lasted deep into April (third week) in both 2007 and 2008. In 2009 it was mostly gone by the second week of April and last year it was gone very early--even before the first of April. This year, I would say the consistent pack will be done by the middle of the month sometime.

As for plowed-up or roof-slide piles, some of those here at the house last until early May. We have a metal, standing-seam roof and our house is a salt-box style. The long side of the salt-box roof faces due north and the slide pile on that side gets so big and solid that I can walk on the very top of it and literally step onto the roof (10' up or so). It's that way right now and there's usually a tiny patch left there in early May.

The woods below the house are an altogether different story. It's quite chilly down in there along the brook and the snow is rather stubborn.

Knee-deep and skiable snow on 4/22/07

481795860_163a57411b.jpg

481814852_31cc3a3899_z.jpg

Hard to imagine now with 23" of glacier still otg in the yard, that within two weeks, it'll basically be gone.....

What an awesome day... not a cloud in the sky, temps now above freezing at 1,500ft (24F @ 3,600ft), north-facing aspects are still cold/dry powder snow, south facing is now soft corn snow.

Time to go back to working on the goggle tan. Enjoy the sweet maple sugaring weather everyone.

16F yesterday morning and up to 42F for a high. Back down to 19F this morning for a low and the snow hanging on pretty well above 1000'.....for now.

Snapped this morning looking back across our little valley:

5600124197_ea78851574_z.jpg

Got home to some serious mud yesterday--the worst of the season so far and it didn't help that the meter-reader dude must've come by yesterday and trenched out the road pretty bad. Sap buckets were overflowing too. Things are moving now.

I think Vim Toot's map has me on the border of CNE...

I still think Mass is SNE, but I wish I was in NH... Gorham would be nice.

Yeah, I'd give the central Mass hills and the Berks a CNE nod. Southern CNE, rather. :pimp:

Enjoying some springtime here in Decatur, near 70 today and progged for low 80s tomorrow and Sunday, possible svr Sunday evening. Leaves are opening on silver maples, lawn has a few dandelions. The Tues/Wed drive out had some leftover winter - flurries across much of PA Tues, including a blood-red snowflake-filtered sunset. Wed morn drove through light/mod snow for an hour (forecast was for mix, but all snow until we reached OH.) Maybe 1/2" accum, and enough on I-80 to cause at least one spinout, on the eastbound lanes. Mom and new baby are fine, too.

The skiing this morning has been off-the-freakin-hook with every trail covered in an even layer of boot deep snow. It was wet and dense snow yesterday afternoon and evening, then the final 3-4" were drier, upslope style snow. I think there were more employees and management out there skiing today than actual customers... everyone saying, "this is why we work here."

The skiing was looking great based on the reports I've seen from you and Denis, so I headed up to Bolton for some turns yesterday. With the additional snow that fell on Wednesday the settled depths of the new powder were 6 to 7 inches with spot measurements of 8 inches from 2,100' to 2,500', and then from 2,500' on up to 3,150' measurements were 7 to 8 inches with areas of 9 inches. The full report from yesterday is at our website. It looks like we've got another great weekend of skiing on the way with hopefully many more to come.

07APR11A.jpg

If anyone has been on the fence about going out and being in the mountains the past 2 days have been about as good as it gets.

valley is showing patchy everything now, snow, mud, green grass today. warmest morning of the week today at 27F but went over 32 by 8:30. saw a 54F coming home from the hills. Only 12 deer in the lower fields tonight. Must have been a rough winter for they have been fearless with daytime feeding.

the iris's have already popped, always great to see the first natural green, makes losing the white far more bearable

and its official - gotta take the subie in, the shimmy I was hoping would go away with better weather, didn't.

Quiet around here, lol.

Nice day yesterday--low 50s for a high here and just barely making it down to 31F this morning. I was hoping it'd be colder this morning for shuffling vehicles around in the dooryard and on our road (better when it's frozen) but alas, not so.

Had a nice ski tour yesterday--Corinth ridgeline stuff, so between 1500-2000'. Snow was still quite deep but getting soggy. I'd say 24"+ otg up at 2000' around here, still 20" at the stake here at 1200'. It's really starting to let go now though.

Did Burke open again this weekend, borderwx? I'll bet it was nice yesterday!

Archived