joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to winter... 36F at 1,500ft with a mix of drizzle and flurries... 28F at 3,600ft with -SN.

Gusty NW winds.

I'm going to try to post some comparison photos from last season and this season at this time that are absolutely ridiculous. The lack of snow at this time last year is nothing short of spectacular.

Here's a photo from April 7th last season... 5 days ago (April 7th) at this elevation the natural snowpack at our snowstake was 33". Last season the only reason there's even a ribbon of brown snow is because we made snow here... the natural snow was long gone at this point.

IMG_0475_edited-1.jpg

Last year, April 7:

IMG_0478_edited-1.jpg

This year, April 6...

IMG_4797_edited-1.jpg

Last year, looking up National trail on April 7th...

IMG_0519_edited-1.jpg

This year, looking down an untracked and buried National on April 6th...

IMG_4821_edited-1.jpg

And I like this shot because it looks like the valley is already starting to green up a week ago last year. On April 7th this year, there was still solid snow cover throughout the lower elevations... last year, we were playing golf down there.

IMG_0493_edited-1.jpg

So, since my truck was shashed up, and totaled nonetheless, the fellow's insurance company has been providing me with a rental until I find a new rig. The rental truck has a thermometer on the rear-view mirror. Never had a vehicle thermometer myelf, so it's been interesting to watch the swings up and down versus terrain. Yesterday was one of the most impressive displays of temperature differentials that I've ever witnessed: left the tropical plains of Hanover at 6pm last evening to the tune of 71 degrees. Got home to 41 degrees and saw everything in between on the way home, over hill & dale.

Topped out at only 55F at the house yesterday.

So, since my truck was shashed up, and totaled nonetheless, the fellow's insurance company has been providing me with a rental until I find a new rig. The rental truck has a thermometer on the rear-view mirror. Never had a vehicle thermometer myelf, so it's been interesting to watch the swings up and down versus terrain. Yesterday was one of the most impressive displays of temperature differentials that I've ever witnessed: left the tropical plains of Hanover at 6pm last evening to the tune of 71 degrees. Got home to 41 degrees and saw everything in between on the way home, over hill & dale.

Bummer on the truck, but I gotta say for someone with a passion about the weather, you need a vehicle with a thermometer. Sure they aren't the most reliable but as you get used to it, you can get a pretty darn good idea of what temperatures are doing. From comparing my vehicle with other thermometers, I'm always very confident that I'm within a degree or so of the actual. Plus, its pretty fun entertainment to monitor how elevation and terrain varies the temperature.

And lastly, you're location at 1,200ft seems pretty much identical to what I observe at 1,500ft here at the base of Mansfield. Our high yesterday was 55F, too, and yesterday morning both of us were sitting in the mid to upper 30s while other areas were torching.

Very interesting to watch, but the two climates seem very similar... east of the Spine in that 1,000-2,000ft elevation band.

Bummer on the truck, but I gotta say for someone with a passion about the weather, you need a vehicle with a thermometer. Very interesting to watch, but the two climates seem very similar... east of the Spine in that 1,000-2,000ft elevation band.

Ha-ha, yeah, it's been pretty fun watching the temps go up and down as I do. Maybe my next rig will have one... Truck shopping to beat the band the past few days. ;)

Definitely in that east of the Greens 1-2K zone. There's a line below roughly 1000' and then again above...well, more like 1800' around here, rather than 2000'. But somewhere in there!

Took this shot this morning from our road/driveway looking southeast. Everything that's bare in this pic was solid white yesterday. It's goin' quick now!

5613585140_26c894b7c6_z.jpg

Yesterday was a fun evening to run. As I went in and out of the low clinging fog pockets I could feel the temperature jump around in a matter of a few strides. It seemed like the pockets were a good 20 degrees different because I would go from cold to hot very quickly. The overall elevation had less to do with things than whether or not I was near a ridge or in a hollow.

Anyone think we get some snow up this way tomorrow?

Yesterday was a fun evening to run. As I went in and out of the low clinging fog pockets I could feel the temperature jump around in a matter of a few strides. It seemed like the pockets were a good 20 degrees different because I would go from cold to hot very quickly. The overall elevation had less to do with things than whether or not I was near a ridge or in a hollow.

No doubt. Again, when I was driving across the wide open plains north of Hanover, the thermo read 71 and literally a mile further and down in a hollow that still had snow on the ground, it quickly went down to 53....reaching the mid-40s but the time I was hugging the surging CT River's shoreline. I imagine the river was helping keep some of that refrigerated too. That water is cold and the river was very high and running about as strong as it ever does. Sort of a pipeline of refrigeration. ;)

I feel those highs and lows all summer riding the motorcycle over hills, through hollows, etc. but never as drastic as it was yesterday.

Back to winter... 36F at 1,500ft with a mix of drizzle and flurries... 28F at 3,600ft with -SN.

Gusty NW winds.

I'm going to try to post some comparison photos from last season and this season at this time that are absolutely ridiculous. The lack of snow at this time last year is nothing short of spectacular.

You mean back to spring...36F and drizzle is spring for your location. tongue.gif

No doubt. Again, when I was driving across the wide open plains north of Hanover, the thermo read 71 and literally a mile further and down in a hollow that still had snow on the ground, it quickly went down to 53....reaching the mid-40s but the time I was hugging the surging CT River's shoreline. I imagine the river was helping keep some of that refrigerated too. That water is cold and the river was very high and running about as strong as it ever does. Sort of a pipeline of refrigeration. ;)

I feel those highs and lows all summer riding the motorcycle over hills, through hollows, etc. but never as drastic as it was yesterday.

I noticed this yesterday, we were down in Concord, NH and car thermometer was reading 78, as we headed north up 93 there was a point when I double take as temp now said 58F. It stayed in mid 50's up through Plymouth to Wentworth and then going over Mt Cube it dropped down to 45. You are absolutely right about a raging refrigerator, and the rain coming is certainly going to help keep it flowing strong!!

You mean back to spring...36F and drizzle is spring for your location. tongue.gif

Haha that is very true... and what a spring day it turned out to be! Upper 40s at 1,500ft and upper 30s above 3,500ft under full sunshine... glorious.

Skied all day with Tim Kelley, talking weather, sharing stories, and enjoying the great spring skiing that comes with deep snow depths and lots of corn snow. Conditions were optimal because it got cold enough last night to lock everything up, and then warmed up enough today so the top inch was velvety corn-snow. Tim broke out the Hawaiian shirt and we skied all over the mountain, enjoying bluebird skies, the warm April sun, and plenty of snow. I really like Tim's schedule of working weekends and leaving the mid-week stuff to Matt Noyes, haha. That leads to a lot of free time to ski.

Anyone think we get some snow up this way tomorrow?

Classic sunny spring day over snowpack - I've noted it often when in the woods. It's like the sun warms a volume of air, which then drifts thru the trees, and in seconds the air becomes 10F milder even as one is standing still. I've felt it most often in fairly well stocked hardwoods, almost never in conifers, which stay cold.

WWA for the MTs of Maine and NNH tomorrow, 2-4" snow and significant icing possible. The latter is especially uncommon this late. Lower elev (MBY and downhill) to get a lot of rain, then perhaps an even heavier rain Sat - GYX hinting 2"+, though once again some frozen precip possible. Two all-rain events in 4 days making 3"+, added to snowmelt, would mean significant flooding on the Kennebec drainage. (Though nothing near the 1987 flood.)

Haha that is very true... and what a spring day it turned out to be! Upper 40s at 1,500ft and upper 30s above 3,500ft under full sunshine... glorious.

Skied all day with Tim Kelley, talking weather, sharing stories, and enjoying the great spring skiing that comes with deep snow depths and lots of corn snow. Conditions were optimal because it got cold enough last night to lock everything up, and then warmed up enough today so the top inch was velvety corn-snow. Tim broke out the Hawaiian shirt and we skied all over the mountain, enjoying bluebird skies, the warm April sun, and plenty of snow. I really like Tim's schedule of working weekends and leaving the mid-week stuff to Matt Noyes, haha. That leads to a lot of free time to ski.

Man, I'm jealous. You have to appreciate the job you have, lol. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

61F was the high here but under mostly overcast skies with a few peaks of sun.

For MT Washington Tonight....Trop storm conditions with snow?????????

Wintry

Mix

Lo 23 °F Wednesday

Trop. Storm

Conditions

Possible

Hi 29 °F Wednesday

Night

Rain/Sleet

Lo 29 °F Thursday

Trop. Storm

Conditions

Possible

Hi 32 °F Thursday

Night

Windy

Lo 13 °F Friday

Sunny

Hi 42 °F Friday

Night

Mostly

Cloudy

Lo 15 °F Saturday

Chance

Rain/Snow

Hi 36 °F Saturday

Night

Rain/Snow

Likely

Lo 23 °F

Hazardous weather condition(s):

Flood Warning

Winter Weather Advisory

Flood Watch

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Tonight: A chance of freezing rain before 4am, then freezing rain likely, possibly mixed with sleet between 4am and 5am, then snow likely after 5am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 23. Windy, with a east wind 28 to 31 mph becoming east between 36 and 39 mph. Winds could gust as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday: Tropical storm conditions possible. Snow before 10am, then freezing rain. High near 29. South wind 35 to 45 mph decreasing to between 34 and 39 mph. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Rain showers, possibly mixed with sleet, becoming all rain after 8pm. Low around 29. Windy, with a south wind 24 to 29 mph becoming west. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Thursday: Tropical storm conditions possible. A chance of showers before 8am. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 32. Northwest wind 31 to 41 mph decreasing to between 29 and 34 mph. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 13. Windy, with a northwest wind 9 to 12 mph increasing to between 35 and 38 mph. Winds could gust as high as 49 mph.

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 42.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15.

Saturday: A chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy and breezy, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday Night: Rain and snow likely. Cloudy and windy, with a low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: Rain showers likely. Cloudy and windy, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday Night: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy and blustery, with a low around 20. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Monday: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy and windy, with a high near 37. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Monday Night: Cloudy and breezy, with a low around 18.

Tuesday: A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Click Map for Forecast Disclaimer

Map data ©2011 Google - Terms of UseMapSatellite

Show labelsTerrain

Lat/Lon: 44.28°N 71.3°W Elevation:5648 ft

view Yesterday's Weather

Mount Washington

Lat: 44.28 Lon: -71.3 Elev: 6266

Last Update on Apr 12, 4:53 pm EDT

Mostly Cloudy

32 °F

(0 °C) Humidity: 19 %

Wind Speed: N 17 MPH

Barometer: NA

Dewpoint: -6 °F (-21 °C)

Wind Chill: 21 °F (-6 °C)

Visibility: 80.00 mi.

More Local Wx: 3 Day History:

Forecast Discussion Air Quality Forecasts

Printable Forecast Text Only Forecast

Hourly Weather Graph Tabular Forecast

Quick Forecast

International System of Units About Point Forecasts

Hazardous Weather Outlook Regional Weather Conditions

Local Climate Information Weather Alerts! - LOCAL

Graphical Forecast Table Interactive Forecast Map

Home

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Webmaster

National Weather Service:

Gray/Portland, ME www.weather.gov

Privacy Policy

Disclaimer

Credits

On a valley snowpack note, the snowpack at our back yard stake dropped below a foot this weekend, and was at 6.0 inches at the time of my CoCoRaHS report this morning. I suspect it will go to zero at some point this week.

As of this morning, the depth of snow at our back yard stake has reached zero, so I’ve updated my Waterbury snowpack plot and added it below. This means that the last day with snow at the stake was 4/12, and the average I have for that value is 3/27 ± 14 days, so this season is a couple of weeks later than that average. The next benchmark I’ll monitor will be when the final snow in the yard is gone, and based on data I have from ’07-’10, that average date is 4/12 ± 10 days, so roughly a couple of weeks later than when the snow has melted out at the stake. As of today, the yard snowpack has been around for 130 days, but that is actually still below average (138 ± 14 days) because of the late start to the season; the start of continuous snowpack this season was on the later side at 12/5 vs. an average of 11/27 ± 9 days. Unless the rest of the snow in the yard melts unusually fast however, the end result of the snowpack season will probably be somewhere around that average value.

1011waterburysnowpack.jpg

I'd say that winter temperatures were more consistent than usual this season, so it's a little easier to see the steady climb in snowpack from a value of 0" on 12/4 through the value of 39.5" on 3/8. The average rate of increase during the period was 0.42"/day. This was a decent snowpack season, with snow depth days from my stake coming in at 2,227 depth-days vs. the average of 1,812 ± 741 depth-days. However, the combination of the rather late start and long stagnation through mid January (visible on the plot) while the storms were going south, meant that it certainly wasn’t up where the ’07-’08 season was at over 2,500 depth-days.

As of this morning, the depth of snow at our back yard stake has reached zero, so I’ve updated my Waterbury snowpack plot and added it below. This means that the last day with snow at the stake was 4/12, and the average I have for that value is 3/27 ± 14 days, so this season is a couple of weeks later than that average. The next benchmark I’ll monitor will be when the final snow in the yard is gone, and based on data I have from ’07-’10, that average date is 4/12 ± 10 days, so roughly a couple of weeks later than when the snow has melted out at the stake. As of today, the yard snowpack has been around for 130 days, but that is actually still below average (138 ± 14 days) because of the late start to the season; the start of continuous snowpack this season was on the later side at 12/5 vs. an average of 11/27 ± 9 days. Unless the rest of the snow in the yard melts unusually fast however, the end result of the snowpack season will probably be somewhere around that average value.

I'd say that winter temperatures were more consistent than usual this season, so it's a little easier to see the steady climb in snowpack from a value of 0" on 12/4 through the value of 39.5" on 3/8. The average rate of increase during the period was 0.42"/day. This was a decent snowpack season, with snow depth days from my stake coming in at 2,227 depth-days vs. the average of 1,812 ± 741 depth-days. However, the combination of the rather late start and long stagnation through mid January (visible on the plot) while the storms were going south, meant that it certainly wasn’t up where the ’07-’08 season was at over 2,500 depth-days.

Great data, J.Spin... I enjoyed reading that analysis. For all intensive purposes the snow depth down in town is zero. Of course, there are still patches and north facing hillsides harbor a surprising amount, but after the past 48 hours there is now certainly a lot more bare ground than there is snow. Up here at 1,500ft I haven't checked yet today, but would imagine we are in the 18" range... as it was 24" only 48 hours ago.

Oh and we have 32F at 3,600ft with a mix of sleet and freezing rain. Looks like snow just isn't in the cards for this one... things definitely trended a degree or two warmer throughout the column over the past few model runs.

I see a big plume of heavy rain headed my way for the day. Oftentimes we'll get one of these when there's a substantial snowpack and we'll end up with river flooding but the pack has largely disappeared - just patchy areas on the vast Jayhawk Estates - so I'm not expecting my local creek to overflow its banks as it often does in spring.

Still below freezing at the summit... ended up with .1-.2" of ice accumulation on trees, lifts, and previous snow surface above 2,800ft. I did note some ice on trees (especially twigs/brush near the snow surface which likely kept temperatures colder) down to 2,500ft. High temperature at 1,500ft was 44F but that was after midnight...daytime temps never made it above 38-39F which is not overly pleasant this time of year, but at least there was no loss of snowpack on the mountain today.

Archived