• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

Snow cover down to about 1/3 the area here, and going fast as 2.17" rain then PC and low 50s eats it away. We never got the wind here, but all the rain we wanted. Reported 1.17" to cocorahs at a bit after 7 AM, then had another 0.82" in the next 1:45. Only another 0.18" after 9 AM. Little brooks went wild but are subsiding, though the one just past my place - on the unmaintained part of the road - blew things out 6' wide and 18" deep. Halfway from our house to our nearest neighbor, about 50' on the uphill side of the road has slumped a foot and looks like quicksand. Plenty of room for careful passage on the lower side, but inattention would bring a nasty end to travel.

Sandy River has climbed from 4,000 cfs to about 13,000 since sunrise, might reach near 20k, or minor flood level. I also expect the Kennebec to wash the sand off the Augusta parking lots; flood there is 12' and I'm guessing at 15-16', not too unusual. Needs to top the 20' level there to be more than just a nuisance.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a new truck yesterday....and it has a thermometer. Sweet!

Ahhh April.

N/NW winds rattling the house, fresh 1" of snow, styrofoam balls, and ice covered roads, ain't it grand.

Ain't it grand indeed! Not an inch here but a solid tenth, lol. Not very spring-like out there this morning....but yesterday sure turned out to be a nice day.

Cloudy, gloomy, 32F and a little fresh snow. Spitting snow atm, actually...

Got a new truck yesterday....and it has a thermometer. Sweet!

Ain't it grand indeed! Not an inch here but a solid tenth, lol. Not very spring-like out there this morning....but yesterday sure turned out to be a nice day.

Cloudy, gloomy, 32F and a little fresh snow. Spitting snow atm, actually...

Congrats on the new truck!!

There was snowflakes falling all the way from Orford to Hanover this morning.

Congrats on the new truck!!

There was snowflakes falling all the way from Orford to Hanover this morning.

Thanks. It was a pain in the arse finding the right one but I think I did pretty well.

And yep, saw a few flakes this morning all the way to Hanover myelf. I often wonder if the Dartmouth students who come here from warmer climes wonder 'what the hell am I doing here?' :lol:

Simpsonbuff?

Hey powderfreak, you gonna keep up with snowpack measurements the rest of the season or are you done because the ski area is?

Unfortunately, I am done with snowpack measurements. We pulled our snow stakes and stored the snow boards for next season. Without a lift running, it would be difficult to access the higher spots on a regular basis.

I'll still be climbing and skiing (and will share snowpack photos and info), but our official tally is done for the season.

And speaking of which, I woke up to around 1/4"-1/2" of icy snow this morning here in town. Nice to have to brush off and scrape the car and see everything looking white again... even if it did all melt off by noon. Also had on and off again weenie snow showers this morning after the accumulating snows were done.

Still have some snow on the ground at the house but other than the leftover plow-piles, it should be gone by week's end. The stuff down in the woods will last another week or so past that...and that should be about it for the season.

My home lake, Lake Morey, that I mention often is free of ice now as far as I can tell. I drove by on Sunday evening and there was still a slushy gray surface out there but also with many open areas near where the brooks dump into the lake. A stiff southerly developed overnight and into Monday morning. I cruised by the lake Monday morning and from the south end of the lake, I could only make out just a bit of ice way up at the northern end of the lake. The southerly wind is what finally did it in.

I had a theory going into ice-out this year that the skating trails that are maintained on the lake might influence ice-out. The trails are plowed and kept free of snow throughout the winter and therefore are darker in color than the surrounding snow-covered, 'native' ice. Surely the darker stripes across the lake absorb more of the sun's energy than does the bright white, snow-covered ice and perhaps these areas will break-up and melt sooner than the rest.

Sure enough. I went by last Friday and snapped this picture. This is one of the trails that cuts right across the middle of the lake and it had in effect become a giant open crack which must hasten ice-out. I logged the ice-out date this year as 4/18. Without the skating trails, who knows? Ice-out might have been a few days later than this. Just a thought.... ;)

5632574734_d65eefc922_z.jpg

Still have some snow on the ground at the house but other than the leftover plow-piles, it should be gone by week's end. The stuff down in the woods will last another week or so past that...and that should be about it for the season.

My home lake, Lake Morey, that I mention often is free of ice now as far as I can tell. I drove by on Sunday evening and there was still a slushy gray surface out there but also with many open areas near where the brooks dump into the lake. A stiff southerly developed overnight and into Monday morning. I cruised by the lake Monday morning and from the south end of the lake, I could only make out just a bit of ice way up at the northern end of the lake. The southerly wind is what finally did it in.

I had a theory going into ice-out this year that the skating trails that are maintained on the lake might influence ice-out. The trails are plowed and kept free of snow throughout the winter and therefore are darker in color than the surrounding snow-covered, 'native' ice. Surely the darker stripes across the lake absorb more of the sun's energy than does the bright white, snow-covered ice and perhaps these areas will break-up and melt sooner than the rest.

Sure enough. I went by last Friday and snapped this picture. This is one of the trails that cuts right across the middle of the lake and it had in effect become a giant open crack which must hasten ice-out. I logged the ice-out date this year as 4/18. Without the skating trails, who knows? Ice-out might have been a few days later than this. Just a thought.... ;)

My sister is up to visit for the first time and I was going to take her on a little tour today, was also going to be a check out the ice on the local lakes and ponds. That is a very interesting theory that I never thought about, but certainly makes sense. Also interesting is that the same clear snow free ice should be thicker than the surrounding ice during the winter, without the insulation of the snow.

5632574734_d65eefc922_z.jpg

maybe worth posting in the climate change forum.. I've seen recent earlier ice out dates used as a metric in that debate.

Also interesting is that the same clear snow free ice should be thicker than the surrounding ice during the winter, without the insulation of the snow.

Hmmm, good point, right there.... Hadn't thought of that one. But, as we can see, the trails surely thawed out sooner than the rest of the lake.

maybe worth posting in the climate change forum.. I've seen recent earlier ice out dates used as a metric in that debate.

The skating trails on Morey are fairly new--they've been maintaining them for only a few years so it doesn't really play a roll in the long term average of ice-out.....yet, anyway. As the years go by and the trails are still maintained, then it perhaps will need to be factored into the equation.

Here's a graph a guy I know made of the ice-out dates for Morey going back to 1977 and not including this year. Last year was absurdly early.

post-2284-0-29059700-1303227305.jpg

Can still find snow pretty easily in north facing woods, along with any low spots like bogs/swamps, but the snow is gone. Of course there's still piles in places (I can see a 5 foot pile from roof-avalanches next to the building) but down in the 700-900ft elevation band its pretty much gone. Now, up near 1,000ft and above, I'm still surprised at how the woods can hold snow. Up along the Mountain Road near Notchbrook and the Matterhorn Bar, there's still a surprising amount of snow cover on those north facing slopes... still almost solid cover behind the Matterhorn and in the woods along the north side of the Topnotch fields.

And Mansfield is still absolutely buried. 81" snow depth at 3,700ft on the last co-op report... and its not going anywhere quickly.

Here's a couple web cam views from today... the first one is from around 12pm when the sun was out, the second one is from 5pm after clouds rolled in. It is such a bummer that people lose interest in skiing at this time of year, because the ski area could probably operate for another 2-3 weeks unless we get a prolonged torch.

Not much in the way of bare spots...

And speaking of skiing... I'm in withdrawal. Yesterday and today were the first consecutive days where I didn't ski since Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Looks like the mountains and hills around here have a shot at some frozen precipitation through 6am or so. I wish this was tracking only a bit further south and it looks like a significant snowfall for portions of the western Maine mountains up into northern Maine.

Fun to see winter storm watches and advisories up in Maine. Hopefully Vim Toot is around, haha.

Here's BTV's discussion about the overnight snow/sleet potential...

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...

-- Changed Discussion --AS OF 418 PM EDT TUESDAY...A RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL EXTEND

FROM QUEBEC SOUTHEAST TO MAINE EARLY TONIGHT. THIS WILL INITIALLY

SLOW THE NORTHWARD MOVEMENT OF A WARM FRONT INTO THE REGION UNTIL

LATE TONIGHT. EXPECTING MOST PRECIPITATION WILL HOLD OFF UNTIL

AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT. TEMPERATURES INITIALLY LOOK COLD ENOUGH TO

SUPPORT A PERIOD OF SNOW AND SLEET OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF

THE ADIRONDACKS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS...AND OVER THE NORTHERN SAINT

LAWRENCE VALLEY IN NORTHERN NEW YORK. SOME LIGHT SNOW AND SLEET

ACCUMULATION IS LIKELY OVERNIGHT OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE

ADIRONDACKS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS. HAVE LEANED TOWARD THE GFS LAMP

GUIDANCE FOR OVERNIGHT MIN TEMPERATURES ACROSS THE REGION.-- End Changed Discussion --

When I went to my point 'n click for 800ft in Stowe Village, the graphic header looked quite wintry... alas, its just snow/sleet likely through morning, then rain after that. It looks a lot more wintry than what will likely transpire.

Can still find snow pretty easily in north facing woods, along with any low spots like bogs/swamps, but the snow is gone. Of course there's still piles in places (I can see a 5 foot pile from roof-avalanches next to the building) but down in the 700-900ft elevation band its pretty much gone. Now, up near 1,000ft and above, I'm still surprised at how the woods can hold snow. Up along the Mountain Road near Notchbrook and the Matterhorn Bar, there's still a surprising amount of snow cover on those north facing slopes... still almost solid cover behind the Matterhorn and in the woods along the north side of the Topnotch fields.

And Mansfield is still absolutely buried. 81" snow depth at 3,700ft on the last co-op report... and its not going anywhere quickly.

Here's a couple web cam views from today... the first one is from around 12pm when the sun was out, the second one is from 5pm after clouds rolled in. It is such a bummer that people lose interest in skiing at this time of year, because the ski area could probably operate for another 2-3 weeks unless we get a prolonged torch.

Not much in the way of bare spots...

And speaking of skiing... I'm in withdrawal. Yesterday and today were the first consecutive days where I didn't ski since Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Man what a difference from when I drove up there last year after dropping the kid off from spring break back to school.

Looks like the mountains and hills around here have a shot at some frozen precipitation through 6am or so. I wish this was tracking only a bit further south and it looks like a significant snowfall for portions of the western Maine mountains up into northern Maine.

Fun to see winter storm watches and advisories up in Maine. Hopefully Vim Toot is around, haha.

Here's BTV's discussion about the overnight snow/sleet potential...

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...

-- Changed Discussion --AS OF 418 PM EDT TUESDAY...A RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL EXTEND

FROM QUEBEC SOUTHEAST TO MAINE EARLY TONIGHT. THIS WILL INITIALLY

SLOW THE NORTHWARD MOVEMENT OF A WARM FRONT INTO THE REGION UNTIL

LATE TONIGHT. EXPECTING MOST PRECIPITATION WILL HOLD OFF UNTIL

AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT. TEMPERATURES INITIALLY LOOK COLD ENOUGH TO

SUPPORT A PERIOD OF SNOW AND SLEET OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF

THE ADIRONDACKS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS...AND OVER THE NORTHERN SAINT

LAWRENCE VALLEY IN NORTHERN NEW YORK. SOME LIGHT SNOW AND SLEET

ACCUMULATION IS LIKELY OVERNIGHT OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE

ADIRONDACKS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS. HAVE LEANED TOWARD THE GFS LAMP

GUIDANCE FOR OVERNIGHT MIN TEMPERATURES ACROSS THE REGION.-- End Changed Discussion --

When I went to my point 'n click for 800ft in Stowe Village, the graphic header looked quite wintry... alas, its just snow/sleet likely through morning, then rain after that. It looks a lot more wintry than what will likely transpire.

I watched an episode of Bert the Conqueror yesterday (on demand) featuring Stowe's alpine slide

Looks mildly entertaining.

Hmmm, good point, right there.... Hadn't thought of that one. But, as we can see, the trails surely thawed out sooner than the rest of the lake.

Yeah they definitely thawed out quicker, I drove by the Lake today and only ice I saw was the pileup at Southern end in front of the beach and inn. It seems like just yesterday I was skating right across that crossover in your pic. Now I am looking forward to breaking out the canoe and enjoying all the waterways around here. Of course looks like yet another possible wintry mix tonight, guess we will have to get through that first.

I watched an episode of Bert the Conqueror yesterday (on demand) featuring Stowe's alpine slide

Looks mildly entertaining.

Haha, yeah the alpine slide can definitely be mildly entertaining... if you really hold up on the break and let gravity take over you can definitely get moving pretty quick. Toss in some sharp turns and solid speed, along with a concrete surface, and you have a recipe for road rash. I've never crashed (maybe that means I'm not pushing my speed boundaries?) but I've seen a few and its not overly pleasant for the driver, lol. My sister wrecked off the slide at Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires and had to get stitches. It is a mildly entertaining warm season activity at ski areas, but after a few runs it does get a little old/repetitive.

Archived