• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

Very cool shots of the bridge, Spin. Never knew that sucker existed!

Cool day yesterday. Only reached 40F for a high. Cool & kind of raw out there this morning. Got down to 23F last night for a low, up to 30F now with an increasing cloud deck. Rains-a-comin'.

Took a ride up the hill to our west last night up to about 2000'. Solid snowcover still on the ground up there.

Also checked out Lake Morey. Still more ice on the lake than not but it's very dark in color, mushy and ready to let go. Strong SE winds this weekend and rain just might do it in for the season. It won't make it to April 20th, that's for sure. Right on cue though, going out in the middle of April.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I'd say that you were conservative with your 5 to 10 foot estimate, I think that 10 - 15 feet is more like it, either way that river was up pretty high! I remember a few years ago when a large tree snagged on it. I know some of the guys that did the work on it this past year. They basically rebuilt it, new cables and all. That is supposedly the longest snowmobile suspension bridge in North America.

I didn't know that they'd done such an extensive rebuild on the bridge, we knew about the boards because the lumber was stacked by the bridge all summer. It's so cool how it's the longest of its type around!

Very cool shots of the bridge, Spin. Never knew that sucker existed!

It can be tough to catch it from I-89, but even driving right above it on Route 2 it's not too obvious because it's not where a driver would likely be looking - and of course it's even more hidden when the foliage is out. It's cool to check it out once you know it's there though.

Having not looking at any weather I am certainly surprised at the sleet, snow, and rain mix going on right now.

This is a chilly little airmass in place right now. Looks like some flakes in the Monads too. I'm hoping for a little bit of -SN/PL too. 36/24.

Mansfield's forecast got a little bit better... somehow 2-4" made it in there.

Tonight: Rain and snow likely before 11pm, then snow between 11pm and 2am, then rain after 2am. Low around 35. Very windy, with a southeast wind between 36 and 41 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

If this continues we may even get measurable of a tenth or two, lol.

Current web cam image from 1,500ft at the ski area...

Current image from down in town at 800ft... town is suddenly more white and its snowing nicely. Its the time of year to savor every flake.

A little snow action here in the Berks now too.

The snow tapered off and when the next batch of precipitation moved in, it started off as light sleet, but then as it became heavier it changed to massive flakes again. Now its about 75% flakes and 25% sleet... this won't be able to hang on very long, its getting warm up there somewhere. At the surface we aren't bad, right at 32F now.

There's a good chance for a decent period of freezing rain tonight in the 1,500ft-3,000ft elevation band where wet bulb temps are in the mid-to-upper 20s. Dry air has lower temperatures quickly to freezing or below in most spots east of the Green Mtn spine up here. I think the eastern slopes of the Spine (1,500ft and higher) and higher hills east could see a good mid-April ZR event through midnight.

Ahh springtime in NNE...

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.66” L.E.

Sunday 4/4/2011 7:00 A.M. update: I’d been monitoring the real time temperatures on the Mt. Mansfield ridgeline yesterday, and they were sitting around 20 F – definitely chilly. I also checked in on Stowe’s midday temperatures, and at around 1:00 P.M. they were reporting 20 F at the summit, and just 30 F at the base. That made the decision easy in terms of skiing; there’s not much softening taking place at those temperatures. I was still curious about the possibility of some snow though; things seemed way too cold to not get something frozen out of the sky, no matter what the upper atmosphere was doing. Even with those thoughts, it was still somewhat surprising when we came out of St. Andrew’s around 5:00 P.M. to find that Waterbury was getting accumulating snow. We went grocery shopping and the snow continued, so that by 6:00 P.M. there was a good coating everywhere but the paved surfaces. As we headed west toward the house, I’d say the accumulations actually dropped off a bit, but I still found 0.3 inches of snow on the snowboard. I didn’t take a sample for liquid at that point, knowing that it was supposed to switch over to rain so I’d just get all the liquid in my morning CoCoRaHS report. The precipitation eventually became more sleet-like, and overnight it seemed to go over to all rain.

On a climatological note, this is the 48th accumulating snowfall event recorded here at the house this season, and ’10-’11 is sitting second behind ’07-’08 in that category, as well as in the snowfall category. This event also brings the length of the ’10-’11 snowfall season here to 184 days, so even down in the valley the snowfall season has been over half a year. Our point and click for this elevation shows several shots at snow over the next week, which is not so great for those desiring summer weather, but on the bright side it should aid in preserving the snowpack as we head forward in the spring skiing season.

Some details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.66 inches

Temperature: 39.4 F

Sky: Light Rain

Closing day at the ski resort... it will be my 142nd ski day this season (6-7 days per week since Thanksgiving, and 14 days hiking/skiing before that) and that equals a lot of time spent on the mountain. Someone's gotta be up there all the time to measure the 328" of snow that fell above 3,000ft, haha.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do tomorrow... haha. Its that feeling of always having something to do, somewhere to be, and being busy 7 days a week all winter long... then just one day its not there anymore. Very odd feeling but I've gotten used to it over the past few years and such is life at a seasonal tourist location.

There's plenty of hiking and skiing left to do though, as I've probably still got another 3 weeks on snow with 82" of rock hard snow still sitting on the ground on the upper mountain.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
518 PM EDT SAT APR 16 2011

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT     	SNOW
              	24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER 	NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD 	0.00    25  17  22                0.0  83

It did not get too warm last night... even this morning you can still see left-over sleet/snow from yesterday evening even after 3/4ths of an inch of rain fell on top. Its amazing how durable a half inch of sleet is, haha.

Closing day at the ski resort... it will be my 142nd ski day this season (6-7 days per week since Thanksgiving, and 14 days hiking/skiing before that) and that equals a lot of time spent on the mountain. Someone's gotta be up there all the time to measure the 328" of snow that fell above 3,000ft, haha.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do tomorrow... haha. Its that feeling of always having something to do, somewhere to be, and being busy 7 days a week all winter long... then just one day its not there anymore. Very odd feeling but I've gotten used to it over the past few years and such is life at a seasonal tourist location.

There's plenty of hiking and skiing left to do though, as I've probably still got another 3 weeks on snow with 82" of rock hard snow still sitting on the ground on the upper mountain.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
518 PM EDT SAT APR 16 2011

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                  24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.00    25  17  22                0.0  83

It did not get too warm last night... even this morning you can still see left-over sleet/snow from yesterday evening even after 3/4ths of an inch of rain fell on top. Its amazing how durable a half inch of sleet is, haha.

Hey, you only skiied 100 days more than me this year! :thumbsup:

What do you do between now and November?

Ha-ha, we had 1/2" of snow/sleet last night before the changeover. It was actually sleeting quite hard for a while and yes, everything was coated. Turned over to straight rain by 11pm or so.

0.61" liquid total.

Just added another half-inch to the seasonal tally!

We had a decent period of pl/sn as well. Unfortunately it was just a cruel tease and the reality is setting in that, other than a May trip to Tuck's, my ski season is coming to a close. Always a depressing time.

We had a decent period of pl/sn as well. Unfortunately it was just a cruel tease and the reality is setting in that, other than a May trip to Tuck's, my ski season is coming to a close. Always a depressing time.

Yeah, I'm just about done myself. Skied last Saturday and haven't since... I actually could still ski in the woods below the house as the snow cover is still solid down there but I'm not sure if I'll get to it or not. Lots of other things starting to get cooking now--tree pruning jobs to finish up, home renovations to get back to, grading the road once the mud is completely gone (not quite yet, damn it!) and tons of clean-up in the yard and in our woods. We got hit last summer with some serious straight-line winds, lost a couple acres of trees, had a guy salvage the good logs this winter and now there's oodles of slash to pile up. Our woods look like a bomb went off and now that the snow is melting down, it's all being revealed. As I like to say, springtime and snow melt reveal all our winter's indiscretions. ;)

Yeah, I'm just about done myself. Skied last Saturday and haven't since... I actually could still ski in the woods below the house as the snow cover is still solid down there but I'm not sure if I'll get to it or not. Lots of other things starting to get cooking now--tree pruning jobs to finish up, home renovations to get back to, grading the road once the mud is completely gone (not quite yet, damn it!) and tons of clean-up in the yard and in our woods. We got hit last summer with some serious straight-line winds, lost a couple acres of trees, had a guy salvage the good logs this winter and now there's oodles of slash to pile up. Our woods look like a bomb went off and now that the snow is melting down, it's all being revealed. As I like to say, springtime and snow melt reveal all our winter's indiscretions. ;)

AK was the finale for me really, though the Tuck's pilgrimage is a long standing tradition so we'll honor that. I'm burning now and trying to clean up all the winter debris. Mud season here as well but it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I shouldn't wish away months of my life but I'll be happy when the next Winter season is on our doorstep.

Hey, you only skiied 100 days more than me this year! :thumbsup:

What do you do between now and November?

Work a variety of jobs to pay the bills... Front desk, waiting tables, summer projects at the ski resort (really want to work on getting a web cam set up to watch our 3,000ft snow board), and I take care of some landscaping/lawn mowing for rich, second-home owners who will pay a ridiculous amount of money for some weekly maintenance. I can get around 100 bucks per week per lawn from these folks, and each usually takes less than 3 hours to do... landscaping and mowing is one of the more lucrative work you can do up for second home owners who will only come up on Memorial Day weekend, July 4th, and Labor Day.

Basically I don't do one job all that much per week, but together they add up to keep me busy until the snow flies... might even dabble in some small construction projects, too. I do sort of like it though because you never get tired of doing any one thing.

Interesting travels last night. We went to the home show in Essex Jct. yesterday and then decided to drive up to Grand Isle and hop on the ferry to NY. When we came back around 9:00 p.m., my wife noticed the waves crashing into shore near the ferry dock were pretty big, maybe 2 - 3 feet. The wind was absolutely howling from the south. When the ferry pulled in to the dock it was rolling from side, to side, you could see the mast lights moving 2-3 feet from center each way. I'm not real experienced with boats etc. but the ride across was as rough as I have ever seen. You could really see the boat rising and falling and pitching from sided to side. While not "Deadliest Catch" type weather, it made this land lubber give a passing thought to the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"! As we headed south, the wind was absolutely ripping. Could really feel the crosswinds on the causeway between S.Hero and Milton. Stopped for gas in Williston and the wind was blowing the fuel filler door closed. All this time it was raining and I noticed the car thermometer reading 34F but it didn't seem to have any frozen elements so I didn't give it a lot of thought. Driving through Richmond and Bolton Flats had the Subaru Forrester swerving back and forth pretty good. As we passed through J. Spin land the wind died down and the roads were fine. This all changed when we got close to the Waterbury exit though. I first noticed the cars going pretty slow in the northbound lane and then started looking around an noticed the slush on the road. Temp was down to 32F. Also saw the first of two accidents just south of exit 10. Conditions pretty much stayed this way all the way home. From about Waterbury home, sleet was pouring down. The deck and lawn was coated, maybe a quarter to a half inch accumulation. All in all a normal spring day in NNE!

Archived