• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

Wow... this has been the most amazing 4-5 day stretch of spring skiing I can remember in a long time. Last year at this time we couldn't ski below 1,800ft... now you can still ski the Bruce down into town at 1,000ft on au natural. There's a 30" base at 1,500ft. Parts of town (anything outside big, wide open fields) still look like mid winter. I was at a buddy's last night up past Topnotch on the a side road off Mtn Road, and he must have 24" even across his entire property. His roof still had 18" on it. Long-time locals and patrollers can't remember anything like this except the great winter of 2000-2001 when they had to put an extension on the Mansfield stake cause 12 feet wasn't enough.

This is absolutely incredible...great spring weather and a general 4-9 foot snowpack (looking down some tree wells is daunting as the hole just disappears into blackness)... my face is more tan than it is in July, everyone is completely energized by this weather, the mood around town is a party atmosphere as everyone is just going all-out until the Mountain Company closes the lifts next Sunday. The parking lot has been one big party (pig roast yesterday) with grills, beers... sunshine daydream type stuff.

Sun is shining, corn snow harvest is getting ripe again, the tourists are long gone, its the time of the locals... time to get after it. I'm thinking a hike across the summit ridge on 9 feet of snow when its 70F outside is in the cards today... then dropping into one of Mansfield's fabled alpine descents. Does not get much better than this.

Enjoy this NNE'ers, beautiful spring weather and there's still a lot of snow out there to play on.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... this has been the most amazing 4-5 day stretch of spring skiing I can remember in a long time. Last year at this time we couldn't ski below 1,800ft... now you can still ski the Bruce down into town at 1,000ft on au natural. There's a 30" base at 1,500ft. Parts of town (anything outside big, wide open fields) still look like mid winter. I was at a buddy's last night up past Topnotch on the a side road off Mtn Road, and he must have 24" even across his entire property. His roof still had 18" on it. Long-time locals and patrollers can't remember anything like this except the great winter of 2000-2001 when they had to put an extension on the Mansfield stake cause 12 feet wasn't enough.

This is absolutely incredible...great spring weather and a general 4-9 foot snowpack (looking down some tree wells is daunting as the hole just disappears into blackness)... my face is more tan than it is in July, everyone is completely energized by this weather, the mood around town is a party atmosphere as everyone is just going all-out until the Mountain Company closes the lifts next Sunday. The parking lot has been one big party (pig roast yesterday) with grills, beers... sunshine daydream type stuff.

Sun is shining, corn snow harvest is getting ripe again, the tourists are long gone, its the time of the locals... time to get after it. I'm thinking a hike across the summit ridge on 9 feet of snow when its 70F outside is in the cards today... then dropping into one of Mansfield's fabled alpine descents. Does not get much better than this.

Enjoy this NNE'ers, beautiful spring weather and there's still a lot of snow out there to play on.

Snow doesn't really exist outside mtns

The snow is torched here....just some patches in the yard. The last few days have really done a number on it.

I still like widespread 70s tomorrow for S NH despite what the NAM/MET is selling. 21z H9 thetas for MHT tomorrow are 300-301K on the 12z NAM. That matches up much better with the MAV temps.

Sad day. I put the shovels and roof rake in storage. November is only seven months away.

I actually spent a couple hours shoveling today. Breaking up the big piles behind the house so there would be less to go into the basement. I was throwing into the sunny areas of the drive so it would melt faster

Seeing posts like this make me want to move to Vermont more and more.

Awoke to some flashes to the north of us, picked up .68" overnight. The brook is really running strong and as about as loud as I have heard it in the 4 years I have lived here. It was dark when I left but a quick peek down it looked to be 15-20 feet wide where it is normally just 5 or 6 feet wide. About 3/4 of the yard is snow free now, but there is still a large section still buried under 8" or so.

I certainly jinxed myself and had those rain showers move in quick yesterday evening. I had been doing work in garage and also raking and cleaning up in front of the house, at that time the sun was shining and I was sweating. So I decided to run down to the store and pick up some Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat (one of my favorite summer brews) and kick off the season right. Well by the time I actually sat down to have it, the sun was behind the clouds and the breeze had kicked up. Temp had gone from 66 down to 56 and I was like ok so I am not sweating anymore, but this is still nice. Less than an hour later by the time I fired up the grill for the first time, temp had dropped another 10 degrees and it was raining pretty steadily...ahhh living in New England :)!!

Well, let's see....topped out at 55F yesterday and yeah, that rain sure did come in fast last evening. I hadn't looked at a radar or sat loop all day so it sort of surprised me some. It really poured for a while last night--the hardest and most rain we've had here in quite a while. 0.77" in the bucket this morning.

Still have 18" at the stake and when I look out across our yard, to the fields nextdoor and the ridge beyond, I see nothing but snow covered ground. I burned part of a brush pile in the back yard yesterday and the snow around the base of the pile was mid-thigh deep when I'd punch through to the ground. This made fire-tending a bit tricky. ;)

I wonder if we'll really warm-sector today or not. 39F at the moment...

So I decided to run down to the store and pick up some Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat (one of my favorite summer brews) and kick off the season right.

Good ol' Orford General? :drunk:

Well, let's see....topped out at 55F yesterday and yeah, that rain sure did come in fast last evening. I hadn't looked at a radar or sat loop all day so it sort of surprised me some. It really poured for a while last night--the hardest and most rain we've had here in quite a while. 0.77" in the bucket this morning.

Still have 18" at the stake and when I look out across our yard, to the fields nextdoor and the ridge beyond, I see nothing but snow covered ground. I burned part of a brush pile in the back yard yesterday and the snow around the base of the pile was mid-thigh deep when I'd punch through to the ground. This made fire-tending a bit tricky. ;)

I wonder if we'll really warm-sector today or not. 39F at the moment...

Good ol' Orford General? :drunk:

Glad you guys are still enjoying snow cover. Posted some pics of endless Winter here in AK in the SNE banter thread. My wife says there is still snow in the yard but it's going fast. It'll be depressing to get home to brown.

Glad you guys are still enjoying snow cover. Posted some pics of endless Winter here in AK in the SNE banter thread. My wife says there is still snow in the yard but it's going fast. It'll be depressing to get home to brown.

It can be pretty tenacious stuff around here. Just a few miles down the hill from here, there's more bare than white but not so here. Soon enough.

I'll check out the pics in the other thread. It must be incredible up there. I've skied out in UT, CO, & WY but AK must be a whole other world alltogether....

What season are we in again??

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NYC019-031-VTC007-011-013-015-111145-

/O.NEW.KBTV.SV.W.0002.110411T1108Z-110411T1145Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

708 AM EDT MON APR 11 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

WEST CENTRAL LAMOILLE COUNTY IN NORTHWEST VERMONT...

GRAND ISLE COUNTY IN NORTHWEST VERMONT...

NORTHEASTERN ESSEX COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW YORK...

CLINTON COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW YORK...

NORTHERN CHITTENDEN COUNTY IN NORTHWEST VERMONT...

FRANKLIN COUNTY IN NORTHWEST VERMONT...

* UNTIL 745 AM EDT

* AT 702 AM EDT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING ONE INCH DIAMETER HAIL...

AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THE STORM WAS NEAR

DANNEMORA...MOVING EAST AT 50 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO...

CUMBERLAND HEAD...SAND BAR STATE PARK...MILTON...WESTFORD...

CAMBRIDGE...

WHEN YOU CAN DO SO SAFELY...PLEASE REPORT HAIL...OR DAMAGING WINDS TO

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE...1 800 8 6 3 4 2 7

9...OR BY SUBMITTING A STORM REPORT AT WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CONTAIN DAMAGING WINDS 58 MPH OR STRONGER...OR

HAIL AN INCH OR LARGER. FOR YOUR SAFETY...TAKE SHELTER INSIDE A

BUILDING NOW.

Yup same here, But the good news is the grill and the golfclubs came out... :thumbsup:

Went to replace the burners on my grill and found the middle one had rusted out of it's connection to the back of the grill box. New grill time. As for the golf clubs, as of Saturday there was still a foot of snow on some of the fairways and an estimated 3 weeks befor we will open. :(

We've been on weather hold for the past hour... all staff and guests are to remain inside. We just lifted that and are starting to get employees back into position to try and open the resort. Lift maintenance is checking all lifts for lightning damage right now; we did lose our radio repeaters again due to a lightning stike. Staff in a safe place at the summit reported multiple lightning strikes very close-by that likely hit our various lightning rods on summit infrustructure.

Wind gusts of 40-50mph in the base area at 1,500ft and gusts up into the mid 50s-mph on a couple upper mountain lift towers.

Overall, never seen a thunderstorm like that with a 1,500ft temperature of 37F... its a rain-cooled 43F at the summit (hit 50F up there earlier this morning).

Anyone see the chance of snow on Tuesday night and Wednesday? Our internal forecast is calling for 2-4" (especially on the upper mountain) during that time period.

That strong storm (K5 and W8) ripped right overhead this morning... very impressive stuff. Wish I was one of the lucky ones that got to watch that from 3,600ft.

Anyone see the chance of snow on Tuesday night and Wednesday? Our internal forecast is calling for 2-4" (especially on the upper mountain) during that time period.

That's great to hear Scott, I hadn't heard any of the local mets talk about it yet (not surprising if it's only higher elevations) but I was wondering if we'd see anything as the temperatures came back down. Checking out the Mansfield point forecast, I can see that the snow is in there now for Tuesday and Wednesday nights, with "The snow could be heavy at times." wording for Tuesday night. These sorts of alerts are very helpful, especially this time of year when not every storm is snow; knowing when threats are a bit more substantial can help in scheduling/planning time to catch the powder mornings.

On a valley snowpack note, the snowpack at our back yard stake dropped below a foot this weekend, and was at 6.0 inches at the time of my CoCoRaHS report this morning. I suspect it will go to zero at some point this week. Checking the averages I have for our location in terms of spring snowpack dates, this season is (not surprisingly) on the later side. I've got the average date of our stake going to zero right around the 1st of April, and the average date for the last of the yard's winter snowpack melting out around the middle of the month, similar to what Jayhawk mentioned in his earlier post. If the trend continues that will probably be on the later side as well this season, but we'll just have to see how the weather goes. My dad borrowed my lawn spreader this weekend because in South Burlington he's already rolling with access to his lawn, but that works out well because it will probably be another couple of weeks before it fully clears out at our place. It has been nice as we start to get some access to the lawn and other vegetation, since we can start to look around and see how things went over the winter.

spent yesterday making beer laps with a good friend from Island Pond, talking about the heavy winter snows and what a year it had been. He starts looking for antler sheds this time of year, but with waist deep snow still in the bedding areas it has been futile. Loggers he knows found 9 dead moose in Norton, snow over their backs . Looking like the deer herd may have been hit fairly hard this winter. Just another perspective on this winter I thought was amazing.

This is how you preserve snow... forecast was for 48F at 1,500ft this morning, rising to 60F at 12pm and 65F at 3pm. Instead, reality has been 36-37F up until around 10:30am, and now we have climbed to 41F at 12:15pm, 19 degrees below our 24 hour forecast from yesterday. This snowpack does not melt very quickly at temps in the mid 30s to lower 40s... but I'm sure 65F would've been another story.

Edit: I spoke way too soon. Its warm and humid out there now... hit 60F this afternoon. Still 57F out there... dew point is 55F!

A few pictures from today...

At the mouth of the Notch near the 1,500ft snow stake... snow is hanging in there but starting to open up.

IMG_4946_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4950_edited-1.jpg

The West Branch (of the Little River) as it runs past the base area headed towards the village... heavy, heavy melting.

IMG_4952_edited-1.jpg

And then down in town... much more water in this by the time it hits elevation 800ft.

IMG_4962_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4963_edited-1.jpg

Fairly impressive for what is usually dry except for a small knee deep channel.

IMG_4966_edited-1.jpg

This humid weather does not bode well for snow pack retention, lol.

Archived