• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

Steady and persistent light snow and flurries all morning... no accums here at 800ft in town, but up at the ski resort base at 1,500ft there was around 1" on non-paved surfaces around 8am. I went up and thought about skiing, but the wind was brutal and snow surface did not look inviting. After yesterday's 33-37F rain, the temp has now plummeted to 19F at the top and has been sitting in the upper 20s at the base... this created a moonscape-like surface and the 1-2" of surprisingly fluffy snow has all been blown into the woods.

In October I'd be chomping at the bit to get out and skin for over an hour in surprisingly cold and windy conditions (wind chills in the single digits up high). And I'd also be stoked to ski down rock-solid frozen snowpack that rattles your fillings, with a skiff of snow on top... but its not October, its late April, and even my enthusiasm/motivation is waning unless there's 6"+ of fresh, or its 50F and sunny.

Current radar shows the light snow/snow showers/flurries should continue for a bit... a decent burst moving through now and whitening up the old snow piles.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOUS41 KCAR 211342

PNSCAR

MEZ001>006-010-011-015>017-029>032-220142-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME

942 AM EDT THU APR 21 2011

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24 HOURS

FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED

TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...CWOP OBSERVERS...SKYWARN

SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR

HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/CARIBOU

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

MAINE

...AROOSTOOK COUNTY...

MADAWASKA 1 WSW 9.5 915 AM 4/21

LILLE 5 SSE 8.0 502 AM 4/21

FORT KENT 1 SW 8.0 730 AM 4/21

SAINT FRANCIS 2 NE 7.5 835 AM 4/21

VAN BUREN 1 NNW 7.0 700 AM 4/21

LILLE 6.5 707 AM 4/21

GUERETTE 2 S 6.5 921 AM 4/21

CARIBOU 3 NNE 6.2 700 AM 4/21

CONNOR 6.1 749 AM 4/21

SOLDIER POND 5 NW 6.1 905 AM 4/21

ALLAGASH 1 ENE 6.0 636 AM 4/21

ESTCOURT 1 S 6.0 919 AM 4/21

EAGLE LAKE 6.0 835 AM 4/21

CARIBOU 1 N 5.9 800 AM 4/21

PORTAGE 2 N 5.2 752 AM 4/21

ASHLAND 3.5 912 AM 4/21

ASHLAND 2 SSE 2.3 549 AM 4/21

SAINT PAMPHILE 2 NW 1.0 720 AM 4/21

...PENOBSCOT COUNTY...

PATTEN 3 NW 1.8 645 AM 4/21

...PISCATAQUIS COUNTY...

CHAMBERLAIN LAKE 2.0 912 AM 4/21

GUILFORD 0.5 647 AM 4/21

...SOMERSET COUNTY...

SAINT AURELIE 1 W 5.0 723 AM 4/21

ST. JUSTE 1 SSW 4.5 725 AM 4/21

SAINT ZACHARIE 2.0 937 AM 4/21

...YORK COUNTY...

NORTH WATERBORO 0.0 12:01 PM 4/21

Yup.

No that was hail... GYX said it and it resulted out of convection so it has to be

Yeah well is was not, It was IP, Don't care what anyone said, It looked the same as all the sleet i have seen this winter so call it whatever you want, There must have been a lot of hail in the mtns yesterday if thats the case..

Just had a decent snow shower move in, it was more like snow pellets, not quite sleet, but certainly round. It reminded me of the Dots Ice cream. It did whiten the ground at the height of it.

Yeah we've had a few bouts of that today amid the more regular snowflakes... and I always call those things Dippin' Dots ice cream, too, lol. Like you, each time we get one of those types of showers, they seem to whiten the ground briefly.

And I was doing some errands around town and there's definitely measurable snow (only a couple tenths) on any existing snow piles or snow pack even down at 700-800ft. I was up around 1,400ft on Edson Hill and there was accumulation on things like mulch, old snow, and shady grassy areas.

What an amazingly cold day (34F at 800ft at 2pm) for mid to late April... and I'm not sure if its actually stopped snowing all day haha. This is just like most of the days in December and January when it just snows lightly for days on end, except in December we'd probably have an inch or two of low-ratio fluff.

Here's the 2pm radar... middle of the day now is bringing some heavier bouts of snow as the instability increases and orographics take over.

Edit: Snowing sideways now as the wind has increased along with snow rate with this squall that just blew off Mansfield here on RT 108.

how muck longer will Jay be open? Was rather surprised to hear Sunday River is closing this Sunday. They usually stay open till May.

through next weekend for sure, maybe the following weekend too with a likely mid week shut down. they are only running the tram and stateside chair mid week and the tram goes down with any winds. I am only doing sunset hikes with the dog now but there was still 5' of glaciated snow at the top, still running top to bottom trails, and by the looks of today probably just added a few more inches, its been snowing all day up here, nothing sticking here in the valley but have had clients come in from higher elevations shaking their heads - April in NNE

Dryslot, it was just peasized hail.. the air aloft was just cold... it was convection.. so it had to be hail

I wasn't there nor was I really paying attention, but we had a bit of sleet here too. I never saw any hail, even during the thunderstorms we got... I'm pretty sure the frozen we got mixing with the rain was sleet as it was around 37F at 800ft... 30F on upper mountain of Mansfield, and mountain operations reported freezing rain and icing. It is extremely common around here for an elevated sub-freezing layer centered around 3,000-3,500ft (especially east of the higher summits), with an above freezing layer somewhere between 850mb and 700mb.... and then it gets very cold rapidly above that.

I definitely could imagine it being sleet mixed with the rain instead of straight hail if there was a sub-freezing layer below 850mb.

MWN has had better than .25" qpf since this AM with temps stuck in the low teens. Wind is gusting to 100mph. The forecast was for no real accumulations today, but it looks like there is going to be more new wind slab than was expected in tucks going into the weekend. Just another spring day on the rockpile.

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KMWN.html

Dryslot, it was just peasized hail.. the air aloft was just cold... it was convection.. so it had to be hail

There was sleet and then some pockets of graupel/soft hail in the stronger convection.

Anyways...41.5F here with some occasional snow flurries. It's brisk.

Funny day for the last patch of snow to melt with the numerous snow showers around, but it did. So here are the snow on the ground numbers for the season:

Days in a row with:

Trace......136

1"or >.......122

6"or >......91

12" or >...77

20" or >..44

30" or >...4

Season total is 107.3", way this spring is going, won't close that book yet :unsure:.

Someone needs to write guidelines for an ip/hail event involved with convection because I think arguments could be made for both sides

There was legit sleet in some locations and legit graupel/hail in others.

Mt Washington reported a thunderstorm with freezing rain and sleet at 1415z yesterday.

Heck...some of the sleet could have become a hail hybrid. When you have strong convection with a plethora of wintry precip types funky things can happen.

00z EC keeps the 0C 850 line from coming through until 18z tomorrow now...by then 0.25" QPF has fallen. I wish everything would speed up by about 6hrs to get it in around sunrise.

Wed/Thu still look warm as well. Tue looks warm aloft, but the Euro is nosing in a little sfc ridge and keeping the boundary from getting much NE of AFN...it's still a little early for those details though. MOS is warm for Tue and 850s tickle +15C by 00z that evening.

Snowed on and off pretty much all day yesterday. We had one squall pass through just before mid-day that came down hard enough to coat the ground. It wasn't sleet or hail but that styrofoam/graupel type stuff.

Nice and clear & chilly this morning: 27F.

Awesome win for the Bruins last night! Le noir et l'or!! :thumbsup:

The big mountain still holding snow.

IMG_2379.jpg

Awesome shot dude... I'll have to get a pic of Mansfield one of these days. It looked like mid-winter up there today... I was up in the base area and any melted out grass was covered back up by yesterday's snow, and the mountain was frosted with rime & snow. Snowpack is at 82" at 3,700ft at the co-op stake, and that's actually higher by an inch or two than when we started the week.

Nothing like a net gain of 1" at the co-op over a 7-8 day period in later April. Over the past 8 days, the highest temperature up there was a brief 39F on Wednesday... other than that, I think every day since the 14th of April has had a high of 32F or lower. That's pretty impressive to me when 7 of 8 days in mid/late April do not crack freezing.

Archived