• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

Today is "snow out" day on my property. Last piles on the north slope should melt. Still patches in the woods and piles from the plows but lawn is greening up nicely. SO frustrating to see the warm air so close and yet I stay socked in with temps around 50F day after day. My high for the year so far is only 61F which is amazing considering it is almost May. I expect the warm front will go through here mid day ushering in higher humidity and 70F weather. For me spring starts when the first forsythia bloom and that has not happened yet but they were blooming in Concord and the bloom line is heading north into the lakes region of NH. Once the forsythia come out everything follows in rapid sucession!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha-ha, not quite snow-out yet here but gettin' pretty damn near. I can still see a few patches in the woods from where I type and the typical last spot in the back yard still exists for now.

The fog & drizzle of the early morning have burned off, the sun is out and we're up to 66F. Warmest day of the spring so far here and our first 60+ reading since that late October warm spell last fall.

Pretty muggy out there too. Looking forward to some lower dews, should they come anytime soon.....

.HYDROLOGY...

WIDESPREAD FLOODING...SOME SEVERE CONTINUES ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS

AND PORTIONS OF CENTRAL/NORTHERN VT AS OF LATE AFTERNOON.

Holy flash flooding in this area last night and this morning! Looking at CoCoRaHS, from your area up through Lamoille County here picked up between 2-3" of rain overnight. Every school in the area was closed due to flooding and many roads around here were also closed, including the Moscow bypass from RT 100 to RT 108. The West Branch of the Little River (which flows down through Stowe and drains all of the east side of Mansfield/Spruce Peak) came up several feet within 60-90 minutes last night around 10pm and there was water in spots I've never even thought possible early this morning. It is often talked about, but because this small river that follows RT 108 up to the ski resort drains all water from the ski resort, folks in town sometimes get a little worried about all the "snowmaking water" that is locked up on the mountain until this time of year. Natural snowpack melting is one thing, but once you add in the amount of gallons of water the ski resort puts on the hill in the form of snowmaking and add that to the fold, people are worried that we haven't seen the worst of it yet... especially with snowmaking continuing to increase. Its a valid concern, IMO, because nature has built the river bed a certain size based on thousands of years of water flow, but in the past 5 years Stowe's snowmaking system has basically doubled thanks to infrastructure upgrades and new snowmaking ponds. All that added water needs to go somewhere and it does get captured by the snowmaking ponds, but once those are full, it all comes gushing into town.

Other flooding in the area... My girlfriend in Eden Mills hasn't been able to leave her house yet today because of whatever waterway that is the flows out of Lake Eden. Friends said Grand Union in Johnson was underwater with dumpsters floating on top of cars, but its not as bad as a few years ago when you could canoe up and touch the giant letters of Grand Union on the awning.

Moscow was under water and Stowe PD closed the road because the river was swiftly flowing a foot deep over the road towards the little dam there. The river is still high but as is usual for this thing, it can drop as quickly as it comes up... which is a change of pace for me because the previous year I lived next to the Winooski which definitely has a more signifcant lag time on the up and down as its a mainstream waterway. But when 2-3+" of rain fall on to a still deep snowpack above 1,500ft, its not surprising the volume of water that came down that river last night off of Mansfield and Spruce Peak. There are sandbars on the Recreation Path which is usually elevated by a good 4-6 feet from the water; I noticed full trees with root systems intact have been displaced all over the place; backyards are filled with stones, rocks, and debris; and my friend's neighbors (who are waay back from the river) have leaves and debris piled up a foot high on the base of tree trunks in their front yard. They said they've never had the water approach their house like that but luckily their house is elevated a couple feet from the rest of their yard, and the water ended up splitting around the house, only flooding the basement.

Tomorrow I plan to get some photos because the power of the water in the after-math looks awesome now that its receded. Everywhere you look there are new "trenches" dug out by running water in this hilly terrain...sometimes right down the middle of people's lawns and like a foot deep.

Here are last night's rainfall amounts... it looks like the western slopes out towards the Champlain Valley took the brunt of it, with 3.5" falling on Mansfield's western slope. Here in Stowe, it looks like our CoCoRAHS observer had 2.69".

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...
  3 SSE JEFFERSONVILLE  2.93   927 AM  4/27  CO-OP OBSERVER
  3 NE HYDE PARK        2.71   841 AM  4/27  COCORAHS
  STOWE 				2.69   841 AM  4/27  COCORAHS
  2 SSW MORRISVILLE 	2.00   855 AM  4/27  ASOS

...CHITTENDEN COUNTY...
  3 NE UNDERHILL CENTE  3.49   938 AM  4/27  COCORAHS
  1 E SOUTH BURLINGTON  3.11   856 AM  4/27  ASOS
  1 NW BURLINGTON   	2.92   838 AM  4/27  COCORAHS
  1 E HUNTINGTON        2.91   839 AM  4/27  COCORAHS
  3 SE SOUTH BURLINGTO  2.72   839 AM  4/27  COCORAHS
  4 NNE UNDERHILL   	2.68   921 AM  4/27  NWS EMPLOYEE
  1 SSE HANKSVILLE      2.63   937 AM  4/27  CO-OP OBSERVER
  1 NNE HUNTINGTON      2.62   840 AM  4/27  COCORAHS

This is what I was talking about... the Grand Union in Johnson gets absolutely innundated in flooding situations. The Lamoille River in this area is at major flood stage... as are most waterways around here, this is just the one they happen to keep records on and have a USGS gage at.

VTC015-281035-

/O.EXT.KBTV.FL.W.0012.000000T0000Z-110428T1035Z/

/JONV1.3.ER.110427T0515Z.110427T1400Z.110428T0435Z.NO/

1226 PM EDT WED APR 27 2011

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR

THE LAMOILLE RIVER AT JOHNSON.

* AT 11:30 AM WEDNESDAY THE STAGE WAS 16.8 FEET.

* FLOOD STAGE IS 13.0 FEET.

* MAJOR FLOODING IS OCCURRING AND MAJOR FLOODING IS FORECAST.

* FORECAST...THE RIVER HAS CRESTED...AND WILL CONTINUE TO FALL

THROUGH THE AFTERNOON. THE RIVER WILL FALL BELOW FLOOD STAGE AFTER

MIDNIGHT THURSDAY.

* IMPACT...AT 17.0 FEET...THERE WILL BE EXTENSIVE FLOODING FROM

HARDWICK DOWNSTREAM THROUGH MORRISVILLE...JOHNSON...JEFFERSONVILLE

AND CAMBRIDGE. THE GRAND UNION AND POST OFFICE IN JOHNSON WILL

FLOOD. AREAS OF ROUTE 15 ALONG THE LAMOILLE FROM MORRISVILLE TO

CAMBRIDGE WILL BE INUNDATED. HOMES AND BUSINESSES ALONG THE

LAMOILLE RIVER WILL LIKELY FLOODK...WITH WATER SEVERAL FEET DEEP

OVER ROUTE 15 IN CAMBRIDGE.

RT 15 is the main travel route through this area... its closure in several spots basically means you can't travel much of anywhere here in Lamoille County.

This is what I was talking about... the Grand Union in Johnson gets absolutely innundated in flooding situations. The Lamoille River in this area is at major flood stage... as are most waterways around here, this is just the one they happen to keep records on and have a USGS gage at.

VTC015-281035-

/O.EXT.KBTV.FL.W.0012.000000T0000Z-110428T1035Z/

/JONV1.3.ER.110427T0515Z.110427T1400Z.110428T0435Z.NO/

1226 PM EDT WED APR 27 2011

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR

THE LAMOILLE RIVER AT JOHNSON.

* AT 11:30 AM WEDNESDAY THE STAGE WAS 16.8 FEET.

* FLOOD STAGE IS 13.0 FEET.

* MAJOR FLOODING IS OCCURRING AND MAJOR FLOODING IS FORECAST.

* FORECAST...THE RIVER HAS CRESTED...AND WILL CONTINUE TO FALL

THROUGH THE AFTERNOON. THE RIVER WILL FALL BELOW FLOOD STAGE AFTER

MIDNIGHT THURSDAY.

* IMPACT...AT 17.0 FEET...THERE WILL BE EXTENSIVE FLOODING FROM

HARDWICK DOWNSTREAM THROUGH MORRISVILLE...JOHNSON...JEFFERSONVILLE

AND CAMBRIDGE. THE GRAND UNION AND POST OFFICE IN JOHNSON WILL

FLOOD. AREAS OF ROUTE 15 ALONG THE LAMOILLE FROM MORRISVILLE TO

CAMBRIDGE WILL BE INUNDATED. HOMES AND BUSINESSES ALONG THE

LAMOILLE RIVER WILL LIKELY FLOODK...WITH WATER SEVERAL FEET DEEP

OVER ROUTE 15 IN CAMBRIDGE.

RT 15 is the main travel route through this area... its closure in several spots basically means you can't travel much of anywhere here in Lamoille County.

Stupid ski areas and their snow :arrowhead:

Stupid ski areas and their snow :arrowhead:

Haha... ski areas and town planners. Its a love-hate relationship. IMO though, up at the ski resort we do need to figure out a better way to control water flow down into town. Don't even get me started on sediment movement downstream... haha. Luckily the ski resort takes all the sand-filled snowbanks and moves them out into the middle of the parking lots so it can melt and allow them to re-capture the majority of the sand & other crap without damming up the river. The amount of sand and dirt that is put down on roads and parking lots up there throughout the course of a winter could supply Major League Baseball infields for an entire season.

Today is the first evening that I've noticed it is time to move on from the darker, winter lagers/beers to lighter summer beverages. Dark, strong ale doesn't taste as good or refreshing when you're sweating just sitting in your house.

It is currently 71/60F. Dew points have been at or above 60F pretty much all day... and that is a very, very noticeable change from last week's occasional snowfall. I do not like sweating when I am watching hockey, lol. Go Bruins!

Warm air still hasn't made it to MBY; currently 50 with some dz. Did get to 63 yest with some brief sun, mildest so far this year, but saw some snowpiles near the unmaintained road beyond my place. Neighbor has fixed the washout (he's cut some fir/aspen just beyond), so unless the culvert 1/2 mile west is also blown, the thru raffic will soon resume (alas.)

3 PM readings yest make a good picture of spring in Maine:

IZG: 77

ROK: 46

FVE: 35

We got warm sectored pretty good yesterday. Got up to 78F and man did it feel hot.

Had the house wide open last night and for the first time since last fall, the woodstove was not burning.

Bruins, yo.

Looks like you had a decent cell just go near your area. Are you at home today? If not I hope you closed the house up before heading out.

Awesome! Thrilled to hear that, I'm flying down there tmrw for the spring game.

Cool--does that mean you sit on the sidelines or do ncaa regs keep you in the stands? You'll probably encounter my daughter playing at any "open mic" events they have on campus. I'm sure she'll also be at all the games. D-I sports, especially football, (as a spectator) were a big factor in her decision.

Cool--does that mean you sit on the sidelines or do ncaa regs keep you in the stands? You'll probably encounter my daughter playing at any "open mic" events they have on campus. I'm sure she'll also be at all the games. D-I sports, especially football, (as a spectator) were a big factor in her decision.

As a member of the team ill likely be on the sidelines. Me and the 15 or so other freshman will likely be advised to stay out of the way though.

I am really excited to meet jermon bushrod he is the starting left tackle for the saints.. we traded some facebook messages he is a towson alum and will be there saturday.

We should get lunch in august when your on campus

Looks like you had a decent cell just go near your area. Are you at home today? If not I hope you closed the house up before heading out.

I saw that on the radar. No, not home--down in Hangover today. And yep, the house is closed up but the poor dog is likely hiding under the bed. She hates thunder....

:underthewx:

Archived