• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

As a member of the team ill likely be on the sidelines. Me and the 15 or so other freshman will likely be advised to stay out of the way though.

I am really excited to meet jermon bushrod he is the starting left tackle for the saints.. we traded some facebook messages he is a towson alum and will be there saturday.

We should get lunch in august when your on campus

Neat to meet him. August would be cool. When does the team report? What are you expecting for playing time?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When will it stop raining? I'd like to go skiing but every time it dries up, another area of moisture looks to be barreling down on us.

Mountain is still surprisingly buried (really not a lot of bare spots seen on the trails) even after heavy rain and humid airmass with Td's near 60F for the past 24-36 hours.

Oh and I just realized that the last few piles outside have finally melted overnight... no more snow visible out the window. Also, the grass seemed to green up overnight. No buds on the trees or anything, but a noticeable color difference in the grass.

Well, technically I have a good view of the ski trails (at least until the trees leaf out) so I can still see snow from where I sit right now... but I'm not counting that. I will admit it is nice though to look out the window and see snow covered ski trails; it is a very comforting feeling for a die-hard skier and snow freak, lol.

Neat to meet him. August would be cool. When does the team report? What are you expecting for playing time?

Not in Baltimore, not even the north end of town! ;)

My initial experience with 80+ dews was the 1st few days of Sept, 1965 at early football practice for Hopkins. After opne full-pads session, it took two cold showers to stop my all-over sweating.

Finally getting the warmer air here - temp in upper 60s, probably the same near-60 dews as other folks have noted. I still doubt that the noisy stuff will make it far enough east to be interesting. A distant rumble or two doesn't qualify.

I had low 70's on car thermo all the way through portland! Wow

Our engineers just got in from lunch and were asked how it was outside. They were bitching about it not being that warm, cloudy and very windy. I suppose just a few miles inland it is a nice day (SFM is reporting fair skies, 72F with S winds at 8), but hard by the coast it's dank.

Oh and I just realized that the last few piles outside have finally melted overnight... no more snow visible out the window. Also, the grass seemed to green up overnight. No buds on the trees or anything, but a noticeable color difference in the grass.

Well, technically I have a good view of the ski trails (at least until the trees leaf out) so I can still see snow from where I sit right now... but I'm not counting that. I will admit it is nice though to look out the window and see snow covered ski trails; it is a very comforting feeling for a die-hard skier and snow freak, lol.

I hear ya PF - even though the skis only get sliding on weekend evenings now. latest was 5/17 for me and the dog. hoping to make it past that this year, we'll see.

No buds? amazing. the maples in our yard are getting texture now. just tallking with a client who has a north facing sugarbush, sugaring season in done as of yesterday up here.

it's probably just me but it is always surprising just how green it is/gets.

glad we get to listen to Andy Brickley for another couple weeks. just can't understand how anyone could be a Habs fan. :)

I hear ya PF - even though the skis only get sliding on weekend evenings now. latest was 5/17 for me and the dog. hoping to make it past that this year, we'll see.

No buds? amazing. the maples in our yard are getting texture now. just tallking with a client who has a north facing sugarbush, sugaring season in done as of yesterday up here.

it's probably just me but it is always surprising just how green it is/gets.

glad we get to listen to Andy Brickley for another couple weeks. just can't understand how anyone could be a Habs fan. :)

Yeah I haven't gotten out much in the past 2 weeks (2 times skiing in 12 days is depressing, haha) but the weather just hasn't been good for it. Its either raining or the snow surface was bullet-proof with a skiff of drifting snow on top. Where's the sunshine and 50F? Skinning in humid 60F dew points just doesn't sound like a lot of fun either, haha.

And maybe I'm just not looking hard enough for the buds, but the 3 trees I can get a close look at from out the window don't show any signs of 'em. Last year at this time I think this stuff was leafed out, lol.

That was one of the best Bruins games I've seen in a long time. I honestly wasn't sure if they'd pull that off.

Just picked up another 1/3" of rain in about an hour with that line. Its like a mud-pit out there with standing water everywhere.

I already miss this... when a moist pattern means feet of snow and not inches of rain.

Yeah I haven't gotten out much in the past 2 weeks (2 times skiing in 12 days is depressing, haha) but the weather just hasn't been good for it. Its either raining or the snow surface was bullet-proof with a skiff of drifting snow on top. Where's the sunshine and 50F? Skinning in humid 60F dew points just doesn't sound like a lot of fun either, haha.

in all honesty, the skiing has been less than remarkable, even last fri night it was refrozen ruts by the time we headed down. but this time of year its more about the hike for me than the skiing. I am little screwed up according to people who know me, I like going up almost as much as I like going down, I prefer snow/skinning to pedals but they both serve the purpose

lookin like some snow preservation temps next week :thumbsup:

2 days of humidity and I am already sick of being sticky, have a good buddy in greenland right now, jealous of his temps (but not his sleeping arrangements)

Too bad the radar doesn't look as cool as the clouds with the much weakened line about to come through.

Even with the 70's and rain over the last two days, there is still some ice left on the pond.

That's impressive... I haven't seen any ice on ponds around here in days. Even sheltered, shallow ponds between 1,000-1,500ft (most of the rich, second-home owners have these small man-made ponds in their front yards) where a few of the ritzy neighborhoods are haven't had ice on 'em in days.

That's impressive... I haven't seen any ice on ponds around here in days. Even sheltered, shallow ponds between 1,000-1,500ft (most of the rich, second-home owners have these small man-made ponds in their front yards) where a few of the ritzy neighborhoods are haven't had ice on 'em in days.

I was surprised to see the ice still there myself, very little sun hits that side of the pond. This year the pond froze later than usual, but normally completely frozen over by first week of November, kind of interesting that 6 months of the year it has ice on it.

I'm going to post some pics from the flash flooding and flooding that's occurred here in Stowe village. These pictures were from this afternoon and the river/stream was still in flood, but it was several feet lower than the epic flash flood event that took place on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. The West Branch is usually a tame, small stream that's knee deep at best in spots... and oftentimes it can get close to being quite dry during the summer. This drains all of Stowe Mountain Resort and Mansfield's eastern slope, along with a few other local mountains/hills and ridges. The Mansfield co-op stake is down 11" in the past 5 days... from 81" on Sunday to 70" today (Thursday).

Again, the water level is 3-5 feet lower than it was during the pre-dawn hours on Wednesday, after 2.5-3.5" of rain fell in about 4 hours. Getting that amount of rainfall, coupled with significant snowpack above 1,500ft (at the time, now its 2,000ft+ for consistent snowpack), led to the highest river level many long-time locals can remember early on Wednesday morning.

Even though the water level has dropped several feet, it is still in flood. The rocks you see poking out on the left side of the photo are where grass usually is. The lawn here goes right up to the line of trees that are usually a couple feet out of the stream. At the very top of the photo (right-center top) you can see a stripe of white which is a ski trail.

IMG_5198_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5208_edited-1.jpg

With the receding waters, there's now a sand bar on this side-street. I know its hard to visualize but this was an epic water level according to folks that have lived here since the 1960s.

IMG_5203_edited-1.jpg

This house flooded and we are quite a bit back from the river now... they described it as happening within an hour or so. One minute the river was fine, and the next it was raging a foot-deep through the property. Classic flash flood quick-response waterway.

IMG_5205_edited-1.jpg

Where I'm standing was all under swift moving water... the roof you see is from down the road. It was from a small structure that sat over a well.

IMG_5206_edited-1.jpg

Even extremely small creeks (trickles or dry 8 months of the year) became raging torrents yesterday morning as everything went into flash flood. This is at the Rec Path parking area across from Topnotch Resort and Spa. This small foot-bridge usually crosses a dry depression that only has water in it during intense summer thunderstorms. The other morning, the small dry creek also became a raging torrent, dislodging the foot-bridge and slamming it into the driveway.

Note the debris piled up on the little light-post on far left of photo... that lantern lights the footpath at night.

IMG_5213_edited-1.jpg

Where the footbridge used to be, and where it is now. That small creek is still the highest I've seen it, as every other time I've walked past here it has been bone dry. That's not a lightweight bridge either and must've been some scene here yesterday morning.

IMG_5217_edited-1.jpg

Lastly, here is from the newly closed bridge on Luce Hill Road near the intersection with RT 108 (Mountain Road). This bridge closure effectively cuts off the High School and Trapp Family Lodge from the quickest route to the village. It also cuts off the Moscow bypass which connects RT 100 with RT 108 closer to the ski area. This is a big closure for this town and we've been told it will likely be a couple weeks before they are able to put more supports in place.

IMG_5219_edited-1.jpg

Again, this water level is very high as it is, but yesterday morning it was 5 feet above where it is now. Water got up over the Recreation Path here, and you can get an idea of how high it was based on the leaves and debris still suspended in the brush. Across the river (left side of photo) you can see debris piled up several feet above where the water is now.

IMG_5221_edited-1.jpg

Another view... the water significantly undermined the Rec Path here and that fence is suspended in the air on the right side of the photo where the river took the earth away. It would've been awesome to see in the pre-dawn darkness yesterday, as the water level was up to where I'm standing and I'm 4-5 feet above the current flood stage.

IMG_5227_edited-1.jpg

For the record, here's more flooding photos and info from the Stowe Reporter (local newspaper)... according to the article this water level was last reached during the flood of 1927:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A playground torn to pieces. A car with a Dumpster on top of it. Roads collapsing into the earth. A powerful thunderstorm ripped through the region Tuesday night and in the wee hours of Wednesday morning, causing a flash flood that caused heavy localized damage.

Stowe and Morristown closed all their public schools on Wednesday because of flooding problems.

Moscow village and Sterling Valley were among the hardest-hit areas in Stowe. On Wednesday morning, Moscow Road, which connects Moscow village with Route 100, was closed because of high water.

“We’re still assessing all the damage this morning,” Town Public Works Director Harry Shepard said Wednesday as he inspected crumbling roadway next to a bridge on River Road. “But we know we’ve got a lot of it.”

Shepard said water levels along River Road reached the 1927 flood marker on the former Tubbs Snowshoes building.

Route 15 in Cambridge was closed where a bridge crosses the Lamoille River, and the center of Johnson was impassable after water flooded the Grand Union supermarket and parts of Main Street.

“The police came at 2:30 a.m. and banged on my door,” Cunningham said. “They said it was an emergency and we had to move our cars.” Her neighbor Rory Nelson had less luck. He said he didn’t hear the police because he sleeps with a fan on. When he woke up, his car, filled with many of his belongings, was under water.

“It totally sucks,” said Nelson, with mud caked on his hands. “I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

The Red Cross was in the Moscow area Wednesday, to see who needed help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know Rory quite well through the ski resort (he works in our Lifts Department and his girlfriend works at Guest Services). As he says in the article, he had no idea this was happening during the pre-dawn hours yesterday, but his neighbor told him the water completely covered his car (the white one) and only the roof of the Jeep was showing.

Stowe pre-school's playground "Ark" got carried away. Quite ironic.

Sink hole in the middle of a road.

Water was already high and at flood stage on Tuesday due to rain and snowmelt, but then another 2.5-3" of rain fell in 4 hours Tuesday night and brought this up to the record levels of the 1927 flood.

Photos courtesy of the Stowe Reporter: http://www.stowetoday.com/stowe_reporter/news/article_95ea43d2-719d-11e0-a638-001cc4c002e0.html

Lake Champlain has hit a new all-time record high water level and is still rising (old record was from way back in 1869)...

RECORD REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

1230 PM EDT THU APR 28 2011

...RECORD HIGH WATER ON LAKE CHAMPLAIN...

AT 1145 AM EDT...THE LAKE LEVEL ON LAKE CHAMPLAIN AT THE ROUSES

POINT NEW YORK GAGE REACHED 102.13 FEET...BREAKING THE ALL-TIME

LAKE LEVEL OF 102.1 FEET SET ON MAY 4TH 1869.

IN ADDITION...THE LAKE LEVEL AT THE KING STREET FERRY DOCK AS OF

10 AM THIS MORNING HAD REACHED 101.88 FEET...TYING THE ALL-TIME

RECORD FOR THIS GAGE SET ON APRIL 27TH 1993.

THE LAKE LEVEL IS FORECAST TO CONTINUE RISING OVER THE NEXT 24

HOURS...SO ADDITIONAL RECORD LEVELS ARE LIKELY TO OCCUR. A FINAL

RECORD REPORT WILL BE ISSUED WHEN LAKE LEVELS BEGIN TO RECEDE.

$

LAHIFF

No flooding around here but I've heard that it got pretty rowdy in NW VT.... Nice pics, Powder.

Chilly morning at the house--got all the way down to 35F with scraps of fog. The last patch of natural snow melted off in the yard yesterday but I still have two roof-slide piles.

And fittingly, I got the motorcycle fired up last night and rode into work today. Cold ride though! :scooter:

Went for a skin and ski this afternoon... the mountain is still holding snow quite well with 4-6 feet of base common on the upper mountain. Snowmaking trails are still wall-to-wall all the way to the bottom. We've definitely got at least a couple more weeks of skiing up there. We had a few sprinkles below 2,500ft, with ice pellets above that, and even a few snowflakes above 3,500ft.

Highlight was skiing the entire run down under this full rainbow that stretched across the mountain.

IMG_5276_edited-1.jpg

Awesome pic PF!

things are greening up nicely up here, lots of new buds appearing on crabapple trees, maples, lilacs, etc.

IMG_2386.jpg

Crazy week. Clyde River here in Newport still rising today flooding the downtown park. Memphremagog is swollen.

Wow, hard to believe that lawn up there seems even greener than mine way down here. My lawn sucks.

I was looking at a map of that lake. Neat how the extreme southern tip of that big island has the border run right through it. The clear cut stripe of forest shows up nicely in satellite images. Wonder who owns that land. Do they have border patrol people on that lake to keep random boaters from drifting into Canada?

Yeah I have a lot of random questions.

In other news, the buds finally cracked open on my star magnolia-- a whopping 15 days later than in 2007 according to an old picture I found.

Wow, hard to believe that lawn up there seems even greener than mine way down here. My lawn sucks.

I was looking at a map of that lake. Neat how the extreme southern tip of that big island has the border run right through it. The clear cut stripe of forest shows up nicely in satellite images. Wonder who owns that land. Do they have border patrol people on that lake to keep random boaters from drifting into Canada?

Yeah I have a lot of random questions.

In other news, the buds finally cracked open on my star magnolia-- a whopping 15 days later than in 2007 according to an old picture I found.

Here's another view looking East to the Lake. Couldn't tell you who owns the land on the island, I doubt I could afford looking at the price. They do patrol it.

IMG_0547.jpg

oh, and that was a hay field. I'll try to get pic of what the lush green looks like, its ridiculous IMO.

Lawn care here today included shoveling/collecting mole hills - free wheelbarrow of top spoil

Heh, zoomed in on the island myself and sure enough, just the wee southern tip is in the US--looks like quite a spread on the Canadian side too. I've never poked around the Memphremagog area very much, just sort of cruised on through on my way to Montreal or Quebec. I hear there be montahs in there though. ;)

Woke up to a pesky, raw, 42 degree drizzle here this morn. Nada on the radar but skies look brighter to the west, so there's some hope for a decent day day. It would be nice as I have tons of yard work to do and a couple more pruning jobs to wrap up for the season.

Auspicious start to the motorcycling season yesterday--froze my arse off riding in mid/upper 30s on my way to work yesterday morning and then got pretty wet riding home in nuisance ULL showers on my way home. Roads are still pretty grimey so the bike was quite dirty when I got home...and I even avoided the dirt roads riding several miles out of my way to get home via pavement. :arrowhead:

It can only get better, eh?

Archived