• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

Lol. OK. I don't see that many deer out here, lots of everything else. Bear,Coyote,Fox, Fisher Cats, Bobcats, many birds of prey, plenty of predators. Can't believe you aren't more of a conservationist, you seem bright.

I'm a big conservationist. I love nature. But it doesn't mean I'll cry about a few over populated squirrels or chipmunks dying, lol. I fight them too since I'm an avid bird watcher. They always try and steal the seed. If we brought back cougars in the east, the deer population would likely even out.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is ugly..and an eyesore.. kids can play on the lawn all they want..and enjoy it without feeling like they're in some cornfield

You have your priorities all wrong, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Whats the point of having a lawn if all you do is look at it. Letting the girls play dolls on it once a week under your watchful eye is sad. Give them some baseball bats, scooters, electric minibikes.

I'm a big conservationist. I love nature. But it doesn't mean I'll cry about a few over populated squirrels or chipmunks dying, lol. I fight them too since I'm an avid bird watcher. They always try and steal the seed. If we brought back cougars in the east, the deer population would likely even out.

It's more the wanton disregard for life though really. If I accidently hit a Chipmunk with my truck leaving just a greasy spot on the pavement I don't break down and start sobbing. The idea of creating a pile of soggy dead Chipmunks because they are mucking up my bark mulch seems extreme to me. Adolescent boy behavior.lol

Sorry my lawn isn't visible yet. :snowman: Big Big early Spring incoming :) ..before the 2011 chipmunk holocaust can commence.

It's more the wanton disregard for life though really. If I accidently hit a Chipmunk with my truck leaving just a greasy spot on the pavement I don't break down and start sobbing. The idea of creating a pile of soggy dead Chipmunks because they are mucking up my bark mulch seems extreme to me. Adolescent boy behavior.lol

This will be a good thread to troll all summer for fun. The grass will look good but kids do not play on it, man I like yards with baseball paths worn into them now that's a family lawn.

Absolutely, Steve. I'm one of nine kids born in a 12-year span. We had the baseball filed worn in solid. Good times, good memories. Now, too much land and one 6-year old for the wear and tear to take place. With the snow cover lessening (and figuring it will only become increasinly dirty as it does so), I'm eager to move onto the next phases of my tree clearing, mucho burning and relaxed few hours on the mower every now and then. Hoepfully, this year we'll get a new one with a cup holder. :) Also, buying a log splitter this year. Big, big spending incoming. Big big spending.

Absolutely, Steve. I'm one of nine kids born in a 12-year span. We had the baseball filed worn in solid. Good times, good memories. Now, too much land and one 6-year old for the wear and tear to take place. With the snow cover lessening (and figuring it will only become increasinly dirty as it does so), I'm eager to move onto the next phases of my tree clearing, mucho burning and relaxed few hours on the mower every now and then. Hoepfully, this year we'll get a new one with a cup holder. :) Also, buying a log splitter this year. Big, big spending incoming. Big big spending.

Get them a 4 wheeler and let them tear up ruts in the yard.

Big,big doughnuts incoming. Big doughnuts

Spent over 2 hours today cleaning up the mess..Still plenty of snow in spots on the lawn..so it actually made it a little easier picking up all the branches and crap. Amazing how many limbs and branches and twigs can come down in one short winter. Last time I had done any yard work was prob early Dec after that screaming soueaster

Spent over 2 hours today cleaning up the mess..Still plenty of snow in spots on the lawn..so it actually made it a little easier picking up all the branches and crap. Amazing how many limbs and branches and twigs can come down in one short winter. Last time I had done any yard work was prob early Dec after that screaming soueaster

Congrats?

CT and Mass could be different.

When are people putting down their first application of fertilizer?

i am thinking about waiting until the snow melts. ;)

seriously though, it depends on what i see when the snow melts. i aerated and seeded last fall, but i might have to hit it again this spring. i will not be putting down the crabgrass preventer since i want the new see to come up.

had a horrible crabgrass debacle last summer...going to do two applications of crabgrass prevent this year.

I do a single application. I've been told by the lawn folks a second application doesn't really increase the benefit. It isn't that you don't have enough it's a break in the layer. After that I hand weed like a bugger and probably once a year hit it with the spray bottle on the hose stuff. My neighbor is the dali lama of crab grass so it's a constant fight.

I wonder if lawns will have heavy heavy moss this year, thanks to the snow. We had that problem in 2005.

Where to get the moss killer cheap? It's terrible this year and it appears it would cost about 1 million dollars to buy enough of the stuff home depot sells locally.

A question for all of you SNE lawn and field owners:

When do the buggers start coming out in force? Specifically, the evil stinging types - wasps, yellow jackets, hornets and bees of all flavors...

I have a couple of overgrown acres that I'd like to cut down (with a DR Brush and Field Mower). It has been a number of years since it was last cut down, and so I can only imagine what horrors are lurking there, waiting for me to disturb.

I want to clear a lot of the overgrowth because I'd like to be able to walk through that area without picking up hundreds of prickers and deer ticks. I'd also like to have a clear area where I can set up my telescope. And I'd like to keep that land as a "field" and not let too many tree seedlings gain a foothold. So that's why I'd like to knock the stuff down with my mower.

But I really, really don't want to do battle with hordes of flying stinging death monsters from hell. I especially don't want to mow over a ground nest or a nest lurking in some hollowed-out log. In fact, I'd like to avoid coming into close proximity with even a single sting-meister.

I figure that if I start attacking the field over the next few days I'll be OK (but the forecast 60 degree afternoon temps starting Thursday has me a bit concerned - we may go back to freezing by the weekend nights, though).

Maybe I need to only mow in the mid-mornings when it's still likely to be no warmer than the low 40's?

Anyone have any experience in this area?

A question for all of you SNE lawn and field owners:

When do the buggers start coming out in force? Specifically, the evil stinging types - wasps, yellow jackets, hornets and bees of all flavors...

I have a couple of overgrown acres that I'd like to cut down (with a DR Brush and Field Mower). It has been a number of years since it was last cut down, and so I can only imagine what horrors are lurking there, waiting for me to disturb.

I want to clear a lot of the overgrowth because I'd like to be able to walk through that area without picking up hundreds of prickers and deer ticks. I'd also like to have a clear area where I can set up my telescope. And I'd like to keep that land as a "field" and not let too many tree seedlings gain a foothold. So that's why I'd like to knock the stuff down with my mower.

But I really, really don't want to do battle with hordes of flying stinging death monsters from hell. I especially don't want to mow over a ground nest or a nest lurking in some hollowed-out log. In fact, I'd like to avoid coming into close proximity with even a single sting-meister.

I figure that if I start attacking the field over the next few days I'll be OK (but the forecast 60 degree afternoon temps starting Thursday has me a bit concerned - we may go back to freezing by the weekend nights, though).

Maybe I need to only mow in the mid-mornings when it's still likely to be no warmer than the low 40's?

Anyone have any experience in this area?

Yellow jackets are later in the summer for the most part.

My enemy. I can't imagine any of these being a problem before late April/early May with an occasional batch of them if you are not lucky

Yellow jackets are later in the summer for the most part.

My enemy. I can't imagine any of these being a problem before late April/early May with an occasional batch of them if you are not lucky

Good to know, means that I'm safe for now (phew!)...

Last year I had paper wasps nesting in the air filter compartment of my DR mower.

It made for an exciting bit of dancing and cursing when I opened the cover to check the filter. Surprise!

Good to know, means that I'm safe for now (phew!)...

Last year I had paper wasps nesting in the air filter compartment of my DR mower.

It made for an exciting bit of dancing and cursing when I opened the cover to check the filter. Surprise!

I have a similar machine made by Bachtold Bros. My suggestion would be to get ready to run. Once the ground dries up in Spring, you can get out there and cut the older woody growth. Briars will grow back at an alarming rate though, as will many other weeds. So sometime in late June/early July, you'll want to get out there again if you want to keep it cleared. Depending on the terrain and the number of hidden rocks, you may be able to cut it with a regular mower once you clear it with the Dr. If not, the bad guys just may be lying in wait. FWIW, in several years of mowing a couple acres, I on;y once hit a yellow jacket nest. I was looing for one, and noticed it right away. I ran like a girl with the machine still running. I ran by it and shut it off several minutes later, after the troops had relaxed. At sunset, I hit the nest with some hornet/wasp spray.

My ultimate solution was to build a new house in the open area and sell my old house.

radiator, on 15 March 2011 - 09:21 PM, said:Good to know, means that I'm safe for now (phew!)...

Ive never run into a problem with them until later in the summer, and Ive run into some big problems, they seem to love my yard. One year they got in under a cushion on a wicker sofa on the front porch and the whole cushioned was hollowed out and filled with their nest, than god no one sat on it, they got me when I moved the sofa to take down some shutters to paint. Im going to have to take precautions this year because Ive got them 3-4 years in a row now.

Archived