• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

Vineyard Club on Marthas Vineyard is a pretty good example of a 100% organic golf club, looks like they are doing just fine, you dont have to tell me about golf courses and what it does to the environment, its pathetic, they are poisoning us and the land. I guess it makes you feel good though to poison tolland, the oceans and your family, hey best of luck with your chemicals.......................ENJOY!!

YES! YES! YES!

LOL thanks I needed a good laugh to start the work week and that did the trick! Also funny reading the nature-loving posts - made from a computer or smartphone, containing lead, mercury, and cadmium, and using electricity generated most likely from burning coal - all posted while a beautiful spring late afternoon passed. Irony abounds.

It's not like we're throwing the computers into the environment...I recycle all my electronics as I hope everyone does.

I don't even care about crab grass. Any grass is just grass to me. :) I was just happy to get a decent covering on my baked clay soil here after this place was built 5+ years ago. The first year was a dust bowl.

Exactly, grass is grass. Who cares what it looks like?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES! YES! YES!

It's not like we're throwing the computers into the environment...I recycle all my electronics as I hope everyone does.

Exactly, grass is grass. Who cares what it looks like?

But everyone likes to have a nicely kept yard. It never looks good to have a yard that is overgrown and loaded with sh*tty crab grass..or is just spotty. A nicely kept lawn is good for the neighborhood and property values.

But everyone likes to have a nicely kept yard. It never looks good to have a yard that is overgrown and loaded with sh*tty crab grass..or is just spotty. A nicely kept lawn is good for the neighborhood and property values.

You have a lot of grass? Try to keep mine neat and trimmed but clay FTL. Hard to believe crab grass lowers the value much though.

Makes sense if u live in suburban subdivisions. It hardly matters when you are 300 feet in from the road, surrounded by fields of all wild grass/weeds (that constantly invades the lawn like it or not) and 1000 feet from the nearest neighbor. :)

Yeah we have a pretty nice yard but as I've mentioned before it's mostly Pachysandra/Vinca for ground cover and then Rhododendron, Hydrangea, and Lilac bushes on the sides...not much to walk on. But it's an easy way to keep things looking decent without too much labor or pesticides.

As Joe mentioned, some golf courses like Martha's Vineyard are able to be 100% organic...so why not more? With the fees they're charging, you'd expect they'd have enough money to give something back, no?

Also, why do we care so much about appearances in American society? In other words, why should we think of ourselves as being judged by what type of lawn we have, in the eyes of the neighborhood? It's such a superficial judgment and just a result of the capitalist consumer society that expects us to want everything to look like a "product" instead of what it is, which is nature.

You have a lot of grass? Try to keep mine neat and trimmed but clay FTL. Hard to believe crab grass lowers the value much though.

I don't have a yard here...just a patio area that's landscaped, but I do fertilize.

I know people can go overboard and I would probably look into some organic stuff if I had a yard, but I would defintely take care of my property if I had such. You'd be surprised how a nicely kept neighborhood and make an area look so much nicer.

Hey I still have my IBM PC Jr from when I was a teenager. LOL Every now and then I boot it up to see if it still runs....need the dos floppy disk to work that.

I still have a Leading Edge Model D 8088....has 64kb of RAM, unreal. Once in a while, I play games on it like Digger and Xonix...still have to remember DOS, LOL.

Makes sense if u live in suburban subdivisions. It hardly matters when you are 300 feet in from the road, surrounded by fields of all wild grass/weeds (that constantly invades the lawn like it or not) and 1000 feet from the nearest neighbor. :)

This is the way to live...

Yeah we have a pretty nice yard but as I've mentioned before it's mostly Pachysandra/Vinca for ground cover and then Rhododendron, Hydrangea, and Lilac bushes on the sides...not much to walk on. But it's an easy way to keep things looking decent without too much labor or pesticides.

As Joe mentioned, some golf courses like Martha's Vineyard are able to be 100% organic...so why not more? With the fees they're charging, you'd expect they'd have enough money to give something back, no?

Also, why do we care so much about appearances in American society? In other words, why should we think of ourselves as being judged by what type of lawn we have, in the eyes of the neighborhood? It's such a superficial judgment and just a result of the capitalist consumer society that expects us to want everything to look like a "product" instead of what it is, which is nature.

If just looks trashy if people don't give a crap about their yard. Haven't you seen an area that has nicely kept properties and then there is one hobo who just doesn't care? It's an eyesore.

I don't really care about looking good in other people's eyes, but I would take pride for myself having a nice yard......that's just me.

Absolutely I agree that people should keep their property neat and have some self respect. Just keep the lawn cut neatly and I doubt the type of grass is gonna matter, keep the house painted, don't use the place as a dump for all the cars you have owned since 1985, etc..... You venture a little further out into "Appalachia" of Upstate NY right down to the south and you'll see lots and lots of unkept and sad displays.

You want the other extreme ..go to Germany or Austria and dare you to find anyone's place that isn't kept up.... The perfection is almost too much to take. LOL but it's pretty.

I don't have a yard here...just a patio area that's landscaped, but I do fertilize.

I know people can go overboard and I would probably look into some organic stuff if I had a yard, but I would defintely take care of my property if I had such. You'd be surprised how a nicely kept neighborhood and make an area look so much nicer.

Absolutely I agree that people should keep their property neat and have some self respect. Just keep the lawn cut neatly and I doubt the type of grass is gonna matter, keep he house painted, don't use the place as a dump for all the cars you have owned since 1985, etc..... You venture a little further out into "Appalachia" of Upstate NY right down to the south and you'll see lots and lots of unkept and sad displays.

You want the other extreme ..go to Germany or Austria and dare you to find anyone's place that isn't kept up.... The perfection is almost too much to take. LOL but it's pretty.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't want my property to look like those in some of the poorer areas of Western NY, talk about a dump. I like the house/lawn to be enjoyable to look at when I walk outside.....I certainly enjoy all of the flowering bushes/trees we have, especially when the weeping cherry and rhododendron are blooming in springtime, and I try to keep the grass sections mowed well, and the vegetable garden well plowed and staked. But I'm not about to nuke my lawn with pesticides just to keep a different kind of grass from growing....a lawn is part of nature so its imperfections have to be tolerated. I think some people go to the extreme in trying to make their property look like a manufactured product, like CTBlizz, and that's what I object to. The idea that superficial appearances are more important than protecting the long-term health of the Earth, and our drinking water, just doesn't fly with me.

Absolutely I agree that people should keep their property neat and have some self respect. Just keep the lawn cut neatly and I doubt the type of grass is gonna matter, keep he house painted, don't use the place as a dump for all the cars you have owned since 1985, etc..... You venture a little further out into "Appalachia" of Upstate NY right down to the south and you'll see lots and lots of unkept and sad displays.

I know you probably don't know this area, but it's a neighborhood of Boston..on the southern side of the city. My area in particular is more residential with single and two family homes...heavy Irish area. Most of the properties here are small, but people take pretty good care of it. It's the type of thing where people will sweep the driveway, sidewalk, or even adjacent side of the street...just to spruce it up a bit. I'm not insane with taking care of things like that, but I can see how people want to work at taking care what little property they have.

In any case when I move to the burbs at some point, I probably won't have a McMansion, but I hope to do what I can to maintain a nice property.

Hey I agree with you below...but I think the lawn is Kevin's hobby in the Summer. :) If that makes him happy then it's a free country.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't want my property to look like those in some of the poorer areas of Western NY, talk about a dump. I like the house/lawn to be enjoyable to look at when I walk outside.....I certainly enjoy all of the flowering bushes/trees we have, especially when the weeping cherry and rhododendron are blooming in springtime, and I try to keep the grass sections mowed well, and the vegetable garden well plowed and staked. But I'm not about to nuke my lawn with pesticides just to keep a different kind of grass from growing....a lawn is part of nature so its imperfections have to be tolerated. I think some people go to the extreme in trying to make their property look like a manufactured product, like CTBlizz, and that's what I object to. The idea that superficial appearances are more important than protecting the long-term health of the Earth, and our drinking water, just doesn't fly with me.

Hey I agree with you below...but I think the lawn is Kevin's hobby in the Summer. :) If that makes him happy then it's a free country.

Hey, he gets bored when he can't call for 3-6" from every clipper tracking over Hudson Bay. I can certainly understand the summer doldrums.

My summer hobby is the vegetable garden, growing lots of stuff this year including: Cheyenne Bush and Marina di Chioggia squashes, Black Beauty zucchini, Amish melon, Udumalapet Indian eggplant, golden peas, green beans, Moonglow tomatoes, and Brussels sprouts.

Hey, he gets bored when he can't call for 3-6" from every clipper tracking over Hudson Bay. I can certainly understand the summer doldrums.

My summer hobby is the vegetable garden, growing lots of stuff this year including: Cheyenne Bush and Marina di Chioggia squashes, Black Beauty zucchini, Amish melon, Udumalapet Indian eggplant, golden peas, green beans, Moonglow tomatoes, and Brussels sprouts.

lol

I don't know any of those except brussel sprouts.

:

They are some weird heirloom varieties...here is the Chioggia squash:

Here is the eggplant:

I'm sure not everything will work but I've got pretty good soil and have been improving it with manure, kelp, and bone meal...so we'll see what happens. I've had pretty good luck with tomatoes and peppers in the past, as well as delicious tender Brussels sprouts harvested in November, and of course peas.

I'm not in the suburbs and live on a quiet country road. I don't rake after I mow and I wait until the bitter end before doing anything with the autumnal leaves, but I do really enjoy having the lawn area looking reasonably nice. In fact, I took Kevin's advice and put down some lime, some seed, and some starter fertilizer yesterday evening. Now I'm really hoping for rain so nothing bad happens! I had expected some last night, but none. Hopefully will get some tonight.

Nice day out there. 69.1/56 off a high of 69.8.

Edit: noisy peepers. Heard them for the first time yesterday. Windows open, nice to hear them while working.

:

They are some weird heirloom varieties...here is the Chioggia squash:

Here is the eggplant:

I'm sure not everything will work but I've got pretty good soil and have been improving it with manure, kelp, and bone meal...so we'll see what happens. I've had pretty good luck with tomatoes and peppers in the past, as well as delicious tender Brussels sprouts harvested in November, and of course peas.

I don't have a garden, but I'm gonna do the basic....tomatoes, basil, peppers etc. I can eat garden tomatoes like apples. Love them.

I don't have a garden, but I'm gonna do the basic....tomatoes, basil, peppers etc. I can eat garden tomatoes like apples. Love them.

Yeah definitely, man...I always plant two big hybrid tomatoes from Home Depot, usually Early Girl and Beefsteak/Big Boy. Produces early in the season and with high yields, and supplements the slower-growing but better tasting heirloom varieties. I think tomatoes have one of the biggest difference between the supermarket product and homegrown...they just taste so much better grown in your backyard! I eat them out of hand like you, or in a Caprese salad with mozzarella, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.

I usually do habañero peppers, bell peppers, and serranos...will be planting some this year.

http://www.umass.edu/plsoils/soiltest/services1.htm

Spend the few bucks to get your lawn tested. There is a decent chance that you're wasting your money fertilizing if you don't know the condition of the soil.

Golf courses are probably the biggest single polluters around.

Buy a good spreader. Most way over fertilize because they buy a cheapo spreader or don't set it right.

Like I said I don't use crabgrass stuff most of the time and instead spot treat/weed. If the grass is really thick the first few days crab grass doesn't root well. Especially after rain it's easy to rip.

You probably don't have anywhere near the weed problems I have being in a development with just woods nearby. I have a huge job to keep weed seeds from being spread off the fields into my garden.

Yeah definitely, man...I always plant two big hybrid tomatoes from Home Depot, usually Early Girl and Beefsteak/Big Boy. Produces early in the season and with high yields, and supplements the slower-growing but better tasting heirloom varieties. I think tomatoes have one of the biggest difference between the supermarket product and homegrown...they just taste so much better grown in your backyard! I eat them out of hand like you, or in a Caprese salad with mozzarella, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.

I usually do habañero peppers, bell peppers, and serranos...will be planting some this year.

As far as the vegetable garden goes... I have endless supply of horse manure. :deadhorse: It's second only to cow manure.....

http://www.umass.edu...t/services1.htm

Spend the few bucks to get your lawn tested. There is a decent chance that you're wasting your money fertilizing if you don't know the condition of the soil.

Golf courses are probably the biggest single polluters around.

Buy a good spreader. Most way over fertilize because they buy a cheapo spreader or don't set it right.

Like I said I don't use crabgrass stuff most of the time and instead spot treat/weed. If the grass is really thick the first few days crab grass doesn't root well. Especially after rain it's easy to rip.

You probably don't have anywhere near the weed problems I have being in a development with just woods nearby. I have a huge job to keep weed seeds from being spread off the fields into my garden.

The weeds can be problematic here, but the fact that the garden has the house and concrete patio on one side does help...some stuff blows in from the woods and wild grasses/bushes that are on the east side of the garden, but it's not too terrible...I'm pretty vigilant to turn over the soil in April, taking out the weeds by their roots, and then plowing the smaller stuff into the soil. The key is to get them when they're young and after a good rain.

Just hoping the heat will arrive this year to ripen the heirloom tomatoes and eggplants sun.gif

Who cares...when will you get the point? Noone cares.

Do you drive a car..? Pollution..

End of story

Archived