CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raked the yard, got as many acorns as I could up..cleaned the flowerbeds,,all twigs are picked up...

Put down Lime pellets 8 bags worth..Next is the Lesco Starter fertilizer next weekend..and then a few weeks later the Dimension crabgrass application ..

Mulch will get delivered the weekend before Easter for all the flowerbeds..Usually 7-8 yards worth.

Disgusting how many chemicals you are dumping into the environment just to make the lawn look nice; adding excess nitrogen in the form of fertilizer is extremely dangerous for waterways in terms of oxygen depletion, and all these pesticides can't exactly be doing any favors to the Earth. I just don't understand why people want to use toxins solely to have a green lawn...who cares? I'd honestly suggest some Pachysandra if you're looking for an ecological ground cover that doesn't need to be maintained. I'm really horrified by how many people are still using artificial fertilizers and chemical pesticides in their property, I'd never touch that stuff.

Lawn appearing from under the snow. Absolutely no sign of spring up here yet except the maple syrup is running good and the ***** willow trees. For me the real start of spring is the first forsythia. Everything happens real quick after that. Where is the forsythia blooming line, somewhere in southern Mass? That line should make good progress northward this week.

I feel as if the forsythia are blooming earlier and earlier around here...I used to remember them being more of a mid-late April flower, but now they've been blooming at the end of March. It seems weird given how far below normal temperatures were in late March...maybe my memory is just bad or people are planting earlier-blooming varieties.

Disgusting how many chemicals you are dumping into the environment just to make the lawn look nice; adding excess nitrogen in the form of fertilizer is extremely dangerous for waterways in terms of oxygen depletion, and all these pesticides can't exactly be doing any favors to the Earth. I just don't understand why people want to use toxins solely to have a green lawn...who cares? I'd honestly suggest some Pachysandra if you're looking for an ecological ground cover that doesn't need to be maintained. I'm really horrified by how many people are still using artificial fertilizers and chemical pesticides in their property, I'd never touch that stuff.

I feel as if the forsythia are blooming earlier and earlier around here...I used to remember them being more of a mid-late April flower, but now they've been blooming at the end of March. It seems weird given how far below normal temperatures were in late March...maybe my memory is just bad or people are planting earlier-blooming varieties.

I have not noticed any forsythia blooming yet in the Hartford area....I usually do as I really can't stand that plant.....I think the color is ugly and most plants haven't been kept enough and seem to get overgrown......maybe I have just been too busy to notice...

I have not noticed any forsythia blooming yet in the Hartford area....I usually do as I really can't stand that plant.....I think the color is ugly and most plants haven't been kept enough and seem to get overgrown......maybe I have just been too busy to notice...

They're starting to bloom here too. I noticed over the last couple of days. Magnolias are coming out as well.

Lol. Give him hell Zuck. It's amazing that any chipmunks are alive in that superfund site he's creating. I'm glad there are young people that are environmentally aware. Hopefully people will begin to wisen up.

Thanks...It's a real problem around here because we have a high-density community of single-family homes, all of which want to have these perfect lawns....there are constant pesticide applications and we're only about 1/2 mile from the Hudson River, which is just beginning to recover from the PCB contamination caused by the GE plant upstate in the 1960s, so you really have to worry. People are starting to wise up and go organic, a lot of them even around here adding vegetable gardens or using ground covers like Pachysandra etc to avoid the lawn issue. But I still find it repulsive that the American virtue of having a neon-green lawn causes people to do so much damage to the environment for the sake of image...and it was even more repugnant when I was travelling throughout very arid regions of the west like the Snake River Plain and still seeing the artificially fertilized lawn slathered in pesticides consuming more water per day than the Idaho Falls climate produces in a year...yuck! I've converted my parents' back lawn into a vegetable garden and do only organic crops....the fertilizers I use are kelp, manure and occasionally bone meal, and they seem to work just fine. Hoping for a lot of tomatoes, peas, and heirloom squashes this year.

Thanks...It's a real problem around here because we have a high-density community of single-family homes, all of which want to have these perfect lawns....there are constant pesticide applications and we're only about 1/2 mile from the Hudson River, which is just beginning to recover from the PCB contamination caused by the GE plant upstate in the 1960s, so you really have to worry. People are starting to wise up and go organic, a lot of them even around here adding vegetable gardens or using ground covers like Pachysandra etc to avoid the lawn issue. But I still find it repulsive that the American virtue of having a neon-green lawn causes people to do so much damage to the environment for the sake of image...and it was even more repugnant when I was travelling throughout very arid regions of the west like the Snake River Plain and still seeing the artificially fertilized lawn slathered in pesticides consuming more water per day than the Idaho Falls climate produces in a year...yuck! I've converted my parents' back lawn into a vegetable garden and do only organic crops....the fertilizers I use are kelp, manure and occasionally bone meal, and they seem to work just fine. Hoping for a lot of tomatoes, peas, and heirloom squashes this year.

Much like everything else, corporate America will do what it takes to stir up interest in having a flourescent green lawn "with little to no work" and make sure everyone and their neighbor blindly forks over money for that crap. Environmental issues aside, it is no different than buying into any other scam you see on TV. To me, It's akin to buying that new miracle fat-burning pill too that will make you lose 50 pounds in weeks by just sitting on the couch, instead of actually exercising and eating right.

Ahh well.

. I like a nice lush green lawn and will continue preaching LEsco on anyone who will listen. Thankfully most people understand the value and neccessity of a beautifal lawn, There is nothing like it. If you want anasty, unproductive lawn full of weeds, bare spots and basic eye soreness that's fine.

Thankfully tree huggers are few and far between

. I like a nice lush green lawn and will continue preaching LEsco on anyone who will listen. Thankfully most people understand the value and neccessity of a beautifal lawn, There is nothing like it. If you want anasty, unproductive lawn full of weeds, bare spots and basic eye soreness that's fine.

I have to side with Socks on this one. Dousing your lawn with chemicals that do harm to the environment isn't my thing.

Thats complete bull****. I will make your lawn look like **** compared to anyones using organic, your lawn is not alive, its synthetic, its crap, and why the hell would you lime your lawn, did you test the soil acidity??? To avoid weeds, you cut at at least 3 inches, the shade crowds weeds out, and you certainly dont aerate the lawn in the spring that SPREADS weed seeds lol.

Water is another major issue, I see these idiots water there lawn a little each day, worst thing in the world, you want to soak it first thing in the morning twice a week, if you water a little everyday the roots will be close to the surface where the moisture is, then during drought its screwed and succeptible to weeds and fungal pathogens. Water DEEP twice a week, get the roots way down so that during times of drought the plant is not under stress since the roots are close to the water source.

I thought you were intelligent Kevin.

40% of my clients are now organic, and there lawns kick ass

Thats complete bull****. I will make your lawn look like **** compared to anyones using organic, your lawn is not alive, its synthetic, its crap, and why the hell would you lime your lawn, did you test the soil acidity??? To avoid weeds, you cut at at least 3 inches, the shade crowds weeds out, and you certainly dont aerate the lawn in the spring that SPREADS weed seeds lol.

Water is another major issue, I see these idiots water there lawn a little each day, worst thing in the world, you want to soak it first thing in the morning twice a week, if you water a little everyday the roots will be close to the surface where the moisture is, then during drought its screwed and succeptible to weeds and fungal pathogens. Water DEEP twice a week, get the roots way down so that during times of drought the plant is not under stress since the roots are close to the water source.

That organic stuff is crap..I would never use that on my lawn. If it's so good why don't the golf courses use it.

I know how to water. Been doing lawn stuff since I was a teenager.

My soil is acidic due to all the trees. Lime needs to put down every yr in most yds with trees.

Please don't preach to me Joe

You do what you want..and I don't tell you how to do it

That organic stuff is crap..I would never use that on my lawn. If it's so good why don't the golf courses use it.

I know how to water. Been doing lawn stuff since I was a teenager.

My soil is acidic due to all the trees. Lime needs to put down every yr in most yds with trees.

Please don't preach to me Joe

You do what you want..and I don't tell you how to do it

You are better at your lawn than you are at forecasting that's for sure. I just wouldn't put a lot of pesticides on my lawn for environmental/health reasons more than anything else.

Im willing to try organic, what would I apply to have a nice organic lawn?

Thankfully most people don't listen to your drivel, just like your weather forecasts your lawn "advice" falls on deaf ears.

What is the "value and necessity of a beautiful lawn"? Meaning, besides what some corporation told you...

Excess nitrogen is doing a number on the cape. I do use some fertilizer but only when we are going to have a 3-5 day stretch that's pretty dry so it doesn't run off as badly. I stopped using crabgrass stuff awhile back. I will hand treat some areas when I first see it but mainly spend a 1/2 hr a week pulling it as I see it popping.

My lawn looks far better than most I'd say and my kids aren't running thru the equivalent of the wr grace superfund site.

I keep my yard really nice but I just don't see the need for all the chemicals.

Thankfully most people don't listen to your drivel, just like your weather forecasts your lawn "advice" falls on deaf ears.

What is the "value and necessity of a beautiful lawn"? Meaning, besides what some corporation told you...

Thankfully most people do listen to me both wxwise and lawnwise.

After your horrific winter posts and you making a complete fool of yourself..it might be best to lay low for awhile amidst the piles of dirty socks on the floor

Thankfully most people do listen to me both wxwise and lawnwise.

After your horrific winter posts and you making a complete fool of yourself..it might be best to lay low for awhile amidst the piles of dirty socks on the floor

LOL, not seeing most people agree that a ton of chemicals are necessary for a nice lawn. I personally think it should be illegal to use the chemicals you do, but that's another story. Basically everyone agrees that there are ways to have a nice lawn without Lesco, and why not do it that way so you don't threaten your neighbors' health as well as the ecosystem?

Horrific winter posts? I wasn't the one calling for 6-12" "AWT" with every sheared out clipper tracking through Hudson Bay. Get real, Kev..

Well there is value in your property/resale value for having a nice lawn and ourdoor space. However, generally it is for keeping up with the jonses purposes ; being more fixated upon what others think of you than necessary. I'm guessing it is no different than the cars we drive being status symbols, some people are actually shallow enough to judge others on their lawns, I'm sure. lol

Well there is value in your property/resale value for having a nice lawn and ourdoor space. However, generally it is for keeping up with the jonses purposes ; being more fixated upon what others think of you than necessary. I'm guessing it is no different than the cars we drive being status symbols, some people are actually shallow enough to judge others on their lawns, I'm sure. lol

Well I understand that part, but the "value and necessity" bit seems excessive...we have a pretty attractive yard with a weeping cherry and rhododendron about to bloom, but that doesn't mean we throw on pesticides indiscriminately.

LOL, not seeing most people agree that a ton of chemicals are necessary for a nice lawn. I personally think it should be illegal to use the chemicals you do, but that's another story. Basically everyone agrees that there are ways to have a nice lawn without Lesco, and why not do it that way so you don't threaten your neighbors' health as well as the ecosystem?

Horrific winter posts? I wasn't the one calling for 6-12" "AWT" with every sheared out clipper tracking through Hudson Bay. Get real, Kev..

Your winter forecast couldn't have been more wrong..and just a few weeks ago you thought Westchester Cty was gonna get 5-10 inches...LOL

Listen your whining and hippy, tree hugging nonsense is falling on deaf ears. I could care less what you think.

You do what you want and I'll do what I want..

Go out and toss the frisbee with the long haireds

Your winter forecast couldn't have been more wrong..and just a few weeks ago you thought Westchester Cty was gonna get 5-10 inches...LOL

Listen your whining and hippy, tree hugging nonsense is falling on deaf ears. I could care less what you think.

Actually my winter forecast wasn't that bad except for snowfall...I said December would be the coldest month and February the mildest with the trough moving out west, and that's exactly what happened. I didn't think we'd see nearly the amount of snowfall that we did, but the temperature progression was fine...probably better than whatever drivel you spewed.

It's not tree-hugging nonsense, it makes sense to be cautious what you put into the environment, especially when you've got kids walking around the lawn, and waterways that excess Nitrogen and pesticides can run off into. Do you see what's happened with the Dead Zone in the Gulf of Mexico? That's because of people using too much industrial pesticides, mostly for agriculture obviously. Why would you want to be responsible for that kind of damage? It's actually not falling on deaf ears because most people in this thread agree with me apparently...

I'm with you, Rev. I'll use every -cide known to man to make my lawn look nice. Gotta love all of the holier-than-thou going on in here today.

Actually my winter forecast wasn't that bad except for snowfall...I said December would be the coldest month and February the mildest with the trough moving out west, and that's exactly what happened. I didn't think we'd see nearly the amount of snowfall that we did, but the temperature progression was fine...probably better than whatever drivel you spewed.

It's not tree-hugging nonsense, it makes sense to be cautious what you put into the environment, especially when you've got kids walking around the lawn, and waterways that excess Nitrogen and pesticides can run off into. Do you see what's happened with the Dead Zone in the Gulf of Mexico? That's because of people using too much industrial pesticides, mostly for agriculture obviously. Why would you want to be responsible for that kind of damage? It's actually not falling on deaf ears because most people in this thread agree with me apparently...

Dude..enough..we get it. IDC

There's just as many people that use fertilizer that don't.

Again..do what you want..and so will i

Archived