Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh certainly agree with that. can't stand that crap...but not from an environmentalist standpoint...just from a "be a fookin adult" perspective.

my feeling is, be a nice guy...be a good neighbor...be good to your family/raise your kids the right way...and don't try and tell people what to do. i don't have a responsibility to you, and you don't have one to me. LOL.

Truthfully though in a society we all have a responsibility to one another....but like you said within reasonableness.

I had a rich buddy...guy is worth millions under the age of 40. He would sit there and change the oil on his outboards WHILE the boat was in the water versus spending the $400 to have a dealer do it (hauling and put it back is the biggest cost). He's worth 10 million but thinks nothing of letting a few quarts of oil spill into a protect harbor to save a few bucks. Meanwhile the guy next to him has his boat hauled for major work but has a 2 stroke that probably dumps more oil than that just under normal operation over the course of a year. Big difference though as one is willfully being a dickbag while the other is not. This is why I said "had" a buddy.

We aren't going to have a choice for much longer anyways. The do-gooders will have us fertilizing with the equivalent of rabbit poop within the next decade.

Truthfully though in a society we all have a responsibility to one another....but like you said within reasonableness.

I had a rich buddy...guy is worth millions under the age of 40. He would sit there and change the oil on his outboards WHILE the boat was in the water versus spending the $400 to have a dealer do it (hauling and put it back is the biggest cost). He's worth 10 million but thinks nothing of letting a few quarts of oil spill into a protect harbor to save a few bucks. Meanwhile the guy next to him has his boat hauled for major work but has a 2 stroke that probably dumps more oil than that just under normal operation over the course of a year. Big difference though as one is willfully being a dickbag while the other is not. This is why I said "had" a buddy.

We aren't going to have a choice for much longer anyways. The do-gooders will have us fertilizing with the equivalent of rabbit poop within the next decade.

lots of people are lazy and don't care. it's aggravating but true.

i'm actually pretty good about most of that stuff, despite my general dislike for the "do-gooder" mentality. to me, there's just much bigger fish to fry.

anyhow, did some good thatch work this weekend and got my step 1 down to prevent a recurrence of my crabgrass disaster from last summer.

lots of people are lazy and don't care. it's aggravating but true.

i'm actually pretty good about most of that stuff, despite my general dislike for the "do-gooder" mentality. to me, there's just much bigger fish to fry.

anyhow, did some good thatch work this weekend and got my step 1 down to prevent a recurrence of my crabgrass disaster from last summer.

High heat had a lot to do with the crabgrass problem last year...weak lawns.

I just overseeded again so the cg preventer is a no go for me this year. Will see how it goes.

I was working a bit in the yard yesterday afternoon, and the moles are a huge huge problem this year. 10x worse than I have ever had.

Under the snow they just tunneled away. Now I have all kinds of mounds of dirt that I had to rake out and spongy areas where the tunnels are.

Do they mostly just do this in the winter? How can I ask them to kindly leave before having to call in Kevin to arrange a swim program for them (or however you can kill them).

I have never seen anything like this.

I was working a bit in the yard yesterday afternoon, and the moles are a huge huge problem this year. 10x worse than I have ever had.

Under the snow they just tunneled away. Now I have all kinds of mounds of dirt that I had to rake out and spongy areas where the tunnels are.

Do they mostly just do this in the winter? How can I ask them to kindly leave before having to call in Kevin to arrange a swim program for them (or however you can kill them).

Only way to get rid of those disasters is to poison them(buying the mole poison that looks like popcorn kernals and putting it in their tunnels)

or by hiring someone to come and set traps.

They are very difficult to get rid of..but those 2 methods will eventually work.

Also sounds like you have a major grub problem.. Put down Grub-x at the appropriate time

Only way to get rid of those disasters is to poison them(buying the mole poison that looks like popcorn kernals and putting it in their tunnels)

or by hiring someone to come and set traps.

They are very difficult to get rid of..but those 2 methods will eventually work.

Also sounds like you have a major grub problem.. Put down Grub-x at the appropriate time

Yeah, I plan on using Grub-x later as you mentioned. Did not know that they sold poison for them.

We had not had any moles that I know of for 4 or 5 years.

Yeah, I plan on using Grub-x later as you mentioned. Did not know that they sold poison for them.

It comes in plastic jars. They sell it at any lawn/garden store or Hardware store. just ask them what kind typically works best.

You just pick random spots in the tunnels ..dump some of the kernal stuff in..and then lightly cover. They say not to stamp down the tunnels while you are trying to kill them

Disgusting how some people just wantonly poison the environment spoiling it for all. Truly a lethal mix of arrogance and ignorance. Pathetic really.

Agreed, there are so many ways to have a beautiful lawn/property without using chemicals, it really makes no sense to poison the drinking water, oceans, and land with this stuff. Soil is a living organism and should be respected as such; dousing it in heavy NPK fertilizers removes its vitality, and thus its value. We've managed to cultivate a wide variety of beautiful flowers (weeping cherry, rhododendron, peonies, black eyed susans, allium, etc) and vegetables (everything from tomatoes to Brussels sprouts to habañero peppers) without using a drop of pesticides/herbicides or chemical fertilizers. I love landscaping and know human intervention is a given, but with 6.5 billion people on this planet, must we make our intervention harmful?

I must admit I did use a bit of Miracle-Gro when I did my vegetable garden at high elevation in Montana, didn't have access to the manure/kelp I wanted and the climate was making the plants weak. Only time I'll ever use artificial fertilizers...

Disgusting how some people just wantonly poison the environment spoiling it for all. Truly a lethal mix of arrogance and ignorance. Pathetic really.

Kev takes great pleasure in getting a rise out of people if you havent figured it out already.

There's a much simpler way to get rid of them.....domestic shorthair.

I don't poison rodents. Too many birds of prey, fox,coyotes, fisher cats and pets around to take the chance. But then again I have some common sense too.

There is a very good chance the neighbors cat will take care of the rodents if you don't have one.

If you need that many chemicals maybe having a nice lawn isn't for you. My lawn is epic green from late April to late October each year. I've never had to poison anything, use grubx or half the things I read about here.

Perhaps some AstroTurf is the way to go for some.

Actually the ultimate way to get rid of tunneling animals is to blow them out. :devilsmiley: There are companies that will pump gas into their tunnel system and then ignite. I have seen it on tv and it is crazy ...you see little explosions all over in different areas where they they had entrances to the tunnels. I'm surprised Kevin hasn't perfected this technique. LOL The farmers in the Plains use it to get rid of their prairie dog problems.

Also turkey vultures. ;) Figure out how to attract some turkey vultures because I disturb countless moles, voles, etc. when I cut the hay fields in August and my neighborhood turkey vultures sit in the elm trees and swoop down constantly, flying away with moles in their beaks for another meal. They love the critters.

This is survival of the fittest and a method that environmentally clean. :)

Also turkey vultures. ;) Figure out how to attract some turkey vultures because I disturb countless moles, voles, etc. when I cut the hay fields in August and my neighborhood turkey vultures sit in the elm trees and swoop down constantly, flying away with moles in their beaks for another meal. They love the critters.

This is survival of the fittest and a method that environmentally clean. :)

Or owls or hawks. We have no grub problem here because of the crows. They will literally dig up you lawn for you if you have an infestation.

Both the red tails and barn owls take care of rodents the fox misses. Nature always balances out.

As was mentioned and shown last year, cats will take care of any problems with mice, chipmunks, moles etc. Here are my two Maine Coons in action and there is no better evidence to support the claims. If you want to kill off Gods creatures but do not want to feel guilty about it..:P PS Male Maine Coons are likely the best hunters out there, despite their size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk9VxloGKd0

As was mentioned and shown last year, cats will take care of any problems with mice, chipmunks, moles etc. Here are my two Maine Coons in action and there is no better evidence to support the claims. If you want to kill off Gods creatures but do not want to feel guilty about it..:P PS Male Maine Coons are likely the best hunters out there, despite their size.

I receive daily gifts from one of my cats during the non-winter months. Vast inventory of critters when living in the woods. Having said that, I've noticed mole issues on my grounds, so Little One better start doing the hunting in the yard instead of the forest.

I receive daily gifts from one of my cats during the non-winter months. Vast inventory of critters when living in the woods. Having said that, I've noticed mole issues on my grounds, so Little One better start doing the hunting in the yard instead of the forest.

Sometimes our cats just play with the damn things instead of killing them, otherwise they do a nice job. lol

Archived