• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

Well this makes me both sad and happy at the same time.

Once the lawn thread starts it means winter is officially over and that i have thrown in the towel on any significant winter wx.

On the other hand..i do look forward to getting out there, and giving the lawn a solid raking, aeration, and dethatch every spring. Reseeding some thin spots....throwing down the first application of the nectar of the Gods Lesco fertilizer to jump things in mid April. Dropping lime pellets in late March.

Time to tune up your lawnmowers, pick up all the debris off the lawns that's been buried under 2.5 months straight of deep snowcover..Sticks, limbs, twigs, whole trees, dead animals, acorns...you name it..it's all gotta be cleaned up.

So sharpen those blades, shine those weed whackers, uncoil those garden hoses, get the rakes out of the ssheds,, and stow away the sleds ,shovels, and snowblowers..

It's a new season...and i want to see as many pictures of folks' lawns as possibloe in here.

Set up those chipmunk death barrels,, take control of your lawns.

Soon it will be time for heavy heavy mowing

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to do some reseeding in areas that settled over the winter, so I'll be putting down a top soil base of a few inches, seed, then hay. My question is, can I go a head and put down a crab grass preventer or will that stop the new seed from germinating even though it will be in new soil? The bag says it will, but I really want to prevent crab grass this year.

Also, when should I do the first step in the four step process?

I need to do some reseeding in areas that settled over the winter, so I'll be putting down a top soil base of a few inches, seed, then hay. My question is, can I go a head and put down a crab grass preventer or will that stop the new seed from germinating even though it will be in new soil? The bag says it will, but I really want to prevent crab grass this year.

Also, when should I do the first step in the four step process?

NOO!!! Do not ever put any weed killer down anywhere near new seedlings of grass seed. it will kill them instantly. You can't put that down until you have mowed the new grass 3-4 times...so i would wait and reseed after you drop the crabgrass killer.

The general rule of thumb is the first application goes down when the forsythias are in bloom

Did you guys have a lot of tree damage this winter? Around here and especially south...every yard is a disaster.

My lawn is such a mess. On top of the remaining 4-5 inches of snow are so many branches and twigs..just huge diasters everywhere. i usually try and keep up with them over the winter..but they were mostly all buried this year. Plus i never got all the acorns last fall..so will be spending one full weekend dedicated just to debris cleanup

NOO!!! Do not ever put any weed killer down anywhere near new seedlings of grass seed. it will kill them instantly. You can't put that down until you have mowed the new grass 3-4 times...so i would wait and reseed after you drop the crabgrass killer.

The general rule of thumb is the first application goes down when the forsythias are in bloom

I worded the question wrong, I'd put the CG preventer down first, wait until rain waters it in, then cover settled areas with top soil and seed. Would that be ok?

Well this makes me both sad and happy at the same time.

Once the lawn thread starts it means winter is officially over and that i have thrown in the towel on any significant winter wx.

On the other hand..i do look forward to getting out there, and giving the lawn a solid raking, aeration, and dethatch every spring. Reseeding some thin spots....throwing down the first application of the nectar of the Gods Lesco fertilizer to jump things in mid April. Dropping lime pellets in late March.

Time to tune up your lawnmowers, pick up all the debris off the lawns that's been buried under 2.5 months straight of deep snowcover..Sticks, limbs, twigs, whole trees, dead animals, acorns...you name it..it's all gotta be cleaned up.

So sharpen those blades, shine those weed whackers, uncoil those garden hoses, get the rakes out of the ssheds,, and stow away the sleds ,shovels, and snowblowers..

It's a new season...and i want to see as many pictures of folks' lawns as possibloe in here.

Set up those chipmunk death barrels,, take control of your lawns.

Soon it will be time for heavy heavy mowing

Im stoked! Remember aeration in the spring releases weed seeds, so if you want to cut down on weeds do that in the fall, heavy thatch and verticut if neccessary

This will be a good thread to troll all summer for fun. The grass will look good but kids do not play on it, man I like yards with baseball paths worn into them now that's a family lawn.

Endless summer evenings of home run derby whiffle ball and drunken lawn darts for the win baby!!

Nice to see this thread started, though I'm not technically in SNE I'm ready to see grass again. Any sadness over winter's demise for me, is tempered by the fact that in the Feb 25-27 battle with heavy heavy slop in CNE, my trusty Ariens 1028 ingested an oversized chunk of glacial ice and fooked the gearcase. Couldn't even get the replacement part from anywhere as Ariens themselves were backordered til this week. With a long driveway, the prospect of shoveling 6" or more of spring-weight snow wasn't exciting to me. If I can just avoid a sudden surprise snow bomb the rest of this winter, I'll have the summer to work on the snowblower.

Last year at this time, 2 golf courses near me were open for the season without temporary greens! I re-seeded two areas of the lawn last september and can't wait to see it mature this spring and get rid of those ugly thin patches I had where the sprinklers failed me during last years dry weather. This weekend, I'll get to cut up the tree that was downed in the sat morning windstorm and add it to the woodpile. So even though winter is ending, the break is needed to clean up the damage (mechanical and yarden) and get ready for next winter

This will be a good thread to troll all summer for fun. The grass will look good but kids do not play on it, man I like yards with baseball paths worn into them now that's a family lawn.

That is ugly..and an eyesore.. kids can play on the lawn all they want..and enjoy it without feeling like they're in some cornfield

OMG, what a disaster. Kevin is a Turncoat. He says he's a diehard snow lover but he's already spreading the poisons on his remaining snow. If that's not bad enough soon he'll be drowning chipmunks by the hundreds, thus removing a part of the ecosystem, just so his little slice of heaven can be that fake dark green. Oh the Humanity.lol

OMG, what a disaster. Kevin is a Turncoat. He says he's a diehard snow lover but he's already spreading the poisons on his remaining snow. If that's not bad enough soon he'll be drowning chipmunks by the hundreds, thus removing a part of the ecosystem, just so his little slice of heaven can be that fake dark green. Oh the Humanity.lol

Chipmunks and deer are massively over populated anyway with the reduction of predators in our ecosystems. Kevin is probably helping the cause more than hurting it by drowning a couple hundred, lol.

Chipmunks and deer are massively over populated anyway with the reduction of predators in our ecosystems. Kevin is probably helping the cause more than hurting it by drowning a couple hundred, lol.

Lol. OK. I don't see that many deer out here, lots of everything else. Bear,Coyote,Fox, Fisher Cats, Bobcats, many birds of prey, plenty of predators. Can't believe you aren't more of a conservationist, you seem bright.

Archived