• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

Ive never run into a problem with them until later in the summer, and Ive run into some big problems, they seem to love my yard. One year they got in under a cushion on a wicker sofa on the front porch and the whole cushioned was hollowed out and filled with their nest, than god no one sat on it, they got me when I moved the sofa to take down some shutters to paint. Im going to have to take precautions this year because Ive got them 3-4 years in a row now.

Ouch... Your story gave me the chills...

Nasty little buggers, aren't they...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive never run into a problem with them until later in the summer, and Ive run into some big problems, they seem to love my yard. One year they got in under a cushion on a wicker sofa on the front porch and the whole cushioned was hollowed out and filled with their nest, than god no one sat on it, they got me when I moved the sofa to take down some shutters to paint. Im going to have to take precautions this year because Ive got them 3-4 years in a row now.

Which stingy creature is it that builds solitary nests for their young? It's some type of stinging bugger....they are nesting up under the sill on my windows. Because of the proximity to the water we were forced to put in the 100mph windows a few years ago after damage.....they have these super duper gaskets on the bottom of the bottom pane that leaves a slight "gap" of maybe 1/3" of an inch behind it. The wasps or whatever build nests a couple of times a year...and they leave food next to it for the emerging young. It's creepy as all hel(...one little egg or whatever about the size of a full pencil eraser, some debris and then a dead cricket etc.

Freaky.

Which stingy creature is it that builds solitary nests for their young? It's some type of stinging bugger....they are nesting up under the sill on my windows. Because of the proximity to the water we were forced to put in the 100mph windows a few years ago after damage.....they have these super duper gaskets on the bottom of the bottom pane that leaves a slight "gap" of maybe 1/3" of an inch behind it. The wasps or whatever build nests a couple of times a year...and they leave food next to it for the emerging young. It's creepy as all hel(...one little egg or whatever about the size of a full pencil eraser, some debris and then a dead cricket etc.

Freaky.

What do the nests look like? Possibly a pipe organ mud dauber? Shiny black about an inch and a half long? Those are not a big deal... non aggresive

We get lots of paper wasp nests in late spring by the deck. Spray em and they are gone

Nothing worse than the yellow jackets

Just took down the first three trees of the year. Only one was problematic--managed to damage one of the "keeper" maples on the way down. Got hung up in for a while. Hopefully the wounds will heal. Lots of sap once you cut into these at this time of year!

The area I'm clearing (I am still really thinning, not clearing) has been wooded for years. As such, it's got quite a layer of 'stuff' on the ground. Decades of leaves, etc. I'd like to bring it into some semblance of grass. My guess is that it's about 1/2 an acre I'm really looking at at this point. I'd really hate to call in a landscaper to do this (primarily becuase I need my money to send my daughter to college this year. lol). Any and all suggestions on how to tackle this are welcome.

Thanks.

31.2/4

One thing I'm thinking of is just having someone spread some loam and let me take it from there........

Just took down the first three trees of the year. Only one was problematic--managed to damage one of the "keeper" maples on the way down. Got hung up in for a while. Hopefully the wounds will heal. Lots of sap once you cut into these at this time of year!

The area I'm clearing (I am still really thinning, not clearing) has been wooded for years. As such, it's got quite a layer of 'stuff' on the ground. Decades of leaves, etc. I'd like to bring it into some semblance of grass. My guess is that it's about 1/2 an acre I'm really looking at at this point. I'd really hate to call in a landscaper to do this (primarily becuase I need my money to send my daughter to college this year. lol). Any and all suggestions on how to tackle this are welcome.

Thanks.

31.2/4

One thing I'm thinking of is just having someone spread some loam and let me take it from there........

Bust Azz and clean it all out.

Bust Azz and clean it all out.

:weenie: lol

I really need to get a bobcat or something in just to clear out the stumps and crap. We had two big trucks of loam delivered last year which we (my wife) first tried spreading with our lawn tractor/by hand. Big time fail. We ended up using my neighbors bob-cat like vehicle. Worked pretty well, But, I don't want to have to go throught that again. Besides, I need to keep the wood cutting going.

Mike, you should get one of these to justify your thirst for tree blood.lol Hey, check for Maple icicles tomorrow where you broke branches. Yummy.

Yeah about the icicles--too bad they're pretty high up.

I hope they have more gas for that thing than the 5 gallon container sitting there! I would love to get something to just skim off the matting (and the stumps along the way).

Well the lawn is fully cleaned up. All twigs/sticks etc. All that's left are partially buried acorns.

Still too early to rake and dethatch since the ground is frozen .

Maybe the lime pellets can go down in 2 more weeks .

Forsythia won't be blooming till late April /early May this yr..so the first round of Lesco will def be delayed being put down.

Grass looks nice and thick this year. After a full yr of Lesco..it def makes a difference.

Couple areas I'll have to get some soil and reseed this year that eroded in the fall rains .

All in all it'll be a delayed lawn season..

I saw some new chipmunk tunnels :arrowhead: so i can see the buckets will have to come out of retirement

Well the lawn is fully cleaned up. All twigs/sticks etc. All that's left are partially buried acorns.

Forsythia won't be blooming till late April /early May this yr..so the first round of Lesco will def be delayed being put down.

Grass looks nice and thick this year. After a full yr of Lesco..it def makes a difference.

Couple areas I'll have to get some soil and reseed this year that eroded in the fall rains .

I saw some new chipmunk tunnels :arrowhead: so i can see the buckets will have to come out of retirement

I think a lot of lawns around here, look decent. Perhaps the extended snowcover made winter burn less of a threat.

I think a lot of lawns around here, look decent. Perhaps the extended snowcover made winter burn less of a threat.

There's zero green here on anyones lawns...no burn..just brown. Still many snowbanks on driveways, around houses and on street corners..I made a bet with my neighbor that there'd be snowbanks left in spots till May 1

There's zero green here on anyones lawns...no burn..just brown. Still many snowbanks on driveways, around houses and on street corners..I made a bet with my neighbor that there'd be snowbanks left in spots till May 1

There is definitely greening going on..even here in Andover, so there should be some in the sunny spots. What I meant earlier, is that the lawns seem like they are recovering well.

Or it's covered by the snowpack.lol

Yeah about the icicles--too bad they're pretty high up.

I hope they have more gas for that thing than the 5 gallon container sitting there! I would love to get something to just skim off the matting (and the stumps along the way).

Throw fallen branches at them. They're a delicacy.

Bird watchers...

2 yrs in a row this time of year...i've had these huge birds around the house, in the trees and in the adjacent woods right behind my house...

While i thought last year they were 2 eagles...they've returned now..and upon some research and closer inspection they are actually " red shouldered Hawks"

Does anyone know if these are commonly known to return each spring?

I haven't seen them until last week..and they were't around last summer after being around in march and April.

Ideas?

Bird watchers...

2 yrs in a row this time of year...i've had these huge birds around the house, in the trees and in the adjacent woods right behind my house...

While i thought last year they were 2 eagles...they've returned now..and upon some research and closer inspection they are actually " red shouldered Hawks"

I haven't seen them until last week..and they were't around last summer after being around in march and April.

Ideas?

They looooooove chipmunks

Prepare buckets round II.... chipmunks is smart varmints. They learn

Bird watchers...

Ideas?

May be a pair that heads south in the winter and is stopping over before returning further north or they vanish when they are taking care of the punks.

You guys up there must be killed with gray snow mold. We have had it down here the last 2 years. Though it doesn't kill the turf, aesthetically its not very pleasing.

To the guy doing the 2 apps of crabgrass control. Unless your doing split apps you shouldn't have to go back in the summer and put down another blast of crabgrass preventor. Down here, we have a longer growing season with stronger weed pressure and a single app of dimension or barricade does the trick for the season. Is your climate really wet?

Archived